Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
6. As of late 1970, there were three states that had jet service from only one airline. Identify each state and the airline that provided service to that state.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED So far Maine (NE) and New Hampshire (NE) have been correctly identified. We need just one more state.
HINT: This state has the lowest point of highest elevation of any of the U.S. states

Hmmmm...."This state has the lowest point of highest elevation of any of the U.S. states". This sounds like a location in the Florida panhandle that we use to drive past on our way to Panama City on family vacation back when I was a kid (and BTW, the old airport at Panama City was served by two airlines back then: National with 727s and Southern with DC9s). However, I really do not think the state we are looking for here is Florida!

So perhaps this was actually Delaware with service operated by Eastern into Wilmington (ILG).

You're correct on both counts, JL! I stand corrected - Florida has the lowest high point at 345 feet. Delaware's is 100 feet higher. And of course Delaware is also the correct answer with Wilmington (ILG) receiving daily 727-100 and DC-9-30 service from Eastern Airlines.

38. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Hawaiian Lounge” inflight?
HINT: A stairway was required to access this lounge.

Sure sounds like a Boeing 747-100.

It does, but alas, in this particular instance it's not. The airline that operated this aircraft also operated 747-100s and had a different name for the upstairs lounge on its big Boeings.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
30. All of the airlines in the two groups listed below operated widebodied jets. What’s the difference between the airlines in group one as opposed to the airlines in group two?
Group 1: American, Continental, Eastern, United, TWA
Group 2: Delta, National, Northwest, Pan Am, Western
HINT: Think about the cabin configuration of each airline.

Ah, this may concern that wonderful but brief era on several airlines which featured.....the coach lounge.

I believe several of the Group 1 carriers had coach lounges on their aircraft. American certainly did on the B747-100 as I experienced this lounge in 1971 on a nonstop from SFO to ORD (my first 747 flight as some of you may recall). I seem to remember the AA 747 coach lounge even featured an electric piano (was it a Wurlitzer?). And I think Continental also had a coach lounge on their DC-10 aircraft.

So perhaps Eastern, United and TWA had coach lounges as well while DL, NA, NW, PA and WA did not.

Correct! I had the good fortune to enjoy the Coach lounges aboard a bevy of DC-10s from United and Continental during the early 1970s and - in Continental's case - into the early 90s. Unfortunately all of the other airlines had removed their lounges by the time I finally flew upon their respective aircraft, though I did manage luncheon while sat around the table with three fellow attendees of the American Airlines Academy at DFW while flying to Chicago in First Class aboard an American DC-10 in 1982.

But hey, I think Western did have a volcano on some of their DC-10 flights to Hawaii......

Indeed they did. That Islander Punch was a great way to get into the spirit of the islands

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
3. Identify the two shortest 747 routes being operated domestically in late 1970
HINT: They were both greater than 600 miles but less than 800 miles...
HINT: Neither of these flights were operated by the "Big Three"...

Your comment about the two shortest 747 routes being at least 600 miles was a give away to one of the answers: DL DTW-ATL, which is 602 miles long. DL operated DTW's first 747 service in Dec 1970, on the DTW-ATL and DTW-MIA routes.

My guess for the other 747 route would be DL ATL-DAL, which is slightly longer. I think DL's first 747 service in Oct 1970 was ATL-DAL-LAX.

You're off to a great start, Joe! The schedule I reference is from a point in time a bit earlier in the year and so does not reflect the DTW-ATL service. But since it started in 1970 - the general stated timeline for this batch of questions - we'll count it as technically correct.

Atlanta to Dallas - checking in at 729 miles - is one of the answers I'm looking for.

The other shortest route is operated by a different airline. Again, it is between 600 and 800 miles long.

24. In 1970 five airlines were operating jets on the short leg between Cleveland and Detroit. Identify each of the five airlines as well as the respective equipment they were operating on this route.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED: So far we've identified NC D9S, NW 727, EA D9S and UA 737. The airline we're looking for flies a DC-9-30 on this route.

The other airline flying DTW-CLE might be Northeast, on a DTW-CLE-BTV or MHT route, with DC-9 equipment.

Yes!!! ^^

And with that - another question bites the dust!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

By now it’s a well-known fact that quite a few people follow but don’t necessarily participate in the OTAQ&D. As of thirty seconds ago when I last checked, we had 454,815 456,399 456,890 457,716 458,918 459,855 460,905 463,285 464,200 - many many many times more than any other thread in the Travel Buzz forum. It’s always a good day when someone new decides to take the plunge and have a go at our quiz with an answer or two. Welcome aboard! You'll note I've left the old amounts in using smaller colored print. Since I first posted these questions on January 29th, the OTAQ&D has had over 9000 views. Check back here for updates on the total views - I'll continue to post them as long as questions remain unanswered.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS THE LATTER HALF OF 1970

3. Identify the two shortest 747 routes being operated domestically in late 1970
A N S W E R E D

4. In late 1970 Northwest Airlines operated a total of four daily flights into Anchorage from three different airports in the Continental U.S. Identify each airport and the aircraft type being used on each route.
A N S W E R E D

7. A thorough perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with 727s. Thinking about 727 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?
A N S W E R E D

9. A total of five airlines offered nonstop flights between Jamaica and Miami – two from Kingston and three from Montego Bay. No single airline served both KIN and MBJ nonstop from Miami. Identify the airlines providing nonstop service in each market.
PARTIALLY ANSWERED All we're looking for now is a Caribbean based airline operating MBJ-MIA. See #8368 below.
HINT: All but one of the airlines are Caribbean based. The U.S. based airline flies the MBJ-MIA route.
HINT: One of the airlines was involved in a major aircraft swap with a U.S. airline...

10. Identify three states that had a total of 10 or less jet flights operated into or out of the state each day.
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDDelaware has been correctly identified. We're looking for just two more states.
HINT: One state is east of the Mississippi while the other is west of it

23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.
HINT: Each of the three destinations were administered by different governments.
HINT: One airline was U.S. based, one was foreign.

GENERAL COMMERCIAL AVIATION RELATED QUESTIONS

27. What airline and airplane were featured in the 1990 movie Die Hard 2?
A N S W E R E D

38. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Hawaiian Lounge” inflight?
HINT: A stairway was required to access this lounge.
HINT: It wasn't a 747.
HINT: Passengers really enjoyed the view out those square windows!.

40. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Fujiyama Room” for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres?
A N S W E R E D

42. In early 1968, this airline installed new $33,000.00 broiler ovens and began serving steak to both First and Economy Class passengers on all of its lunch and dinner flights out of Montreal.
A N S W E R E D

THE ORIGINAL LISTING OF ALL 45 QUESTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:56 pm

What was the full routing of the NE DC-9 that flew between DTW and CLE?

It isn't widely remembered that DL's only service to CLE until a few weeks before deregulation was on this ex-Northeast route. In 1969, DL was recommended for CLE-ATL authority, in competition with UA, but the route was not awarded until mid 1978.

Question 40: Northwest Orient B-377 Stratocruiser

Question 42: Northeast Airlines, which launched the 727-200.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3- perhaps NW, JFK-ORD at about 740 miles
4- let's try Chicago and Minneapolis with 747s, and Seattle with a 707-320
7- Wyoming
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
What was the full routing of the NE DC-9 that flew between CLE and DTW?

Northeast 230
Equipment: DC-9-30
Frequency: Mon Fri Sun

Cleveland (CLE) to Detroit (DTW) 3:20p - 4:00p
Detroit (DTW) to Burlington (BTV) 4:25p - 5:40p Dinner
Burlington (BTV) to Bangor (BGR) 6:15p - 6:58p

40. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Fujiyama Room” for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres?
HINT: You might also be presented with a steaming hot, scented Oshibori towel during your visit
HINT: You could also enjoy the view while gazing out your square windows.

Northwest Orient B-377 Stratocruiser

It was the square windows thing, wasn't it! Well either way, you are correct and it's good to clear the board of yet another question! ^

42. In early 1968, this airline installed new $33,000.00 broiler ovens and began serving steak to both First and Economy Class passengers on all of its lunch and dinner flights out of Montreal.
HINT: All of the meal flights were longer than 500 miles...
HINT: This airline was a launch customer for a Boeing type in 1967.

Northeast Airlines, which launched the 727-200.

That's right. Not only did Northeast serve as the launch customer for the -200, it also offered some of the finest inflight meal service in the nation on its flights up and down the eastern seaboard. You can view a copy of its advertisement right HERE.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
PARTIALLY ANSWERED ATL-DFW has been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more route operated by an airline other than Delta...
HINT: They were both greater than 600 miles but less than 800 miles...
HINT: Neither of these flights were operated by the "Big Three"...

Perhaps NW, JFK-ORD at about 740 miles

Perhaps? Are you sure? Well good because it is indeed Northwest! I show a distance of 737 miles. And another one bites the dust!

4. In late 1970 Northwest Airlines operated a total of four daily flights into Anchorage from three different airports in the Continental U.S. Identify each airport and the aircraft type being used on each route.
HINT: All of the aircraft involved had four engines...
HINT: Northwest's Regal Imperial Service would have been offered on two of these routes...

Let's try Chicago and Minneapolis with 747s, and Seattle with a 707-320

Seattle and Chicago are two of the cities, but your choice of aircraft is wrong in each instance. Per the schedule I reference for this question, no 747s were operated to or through Anchorage at this time.

So let's expedite things a bit: Based on what you've correctly provided, let's state what we know and then some...

Chicago to Anchorage: Boeing 707-351
Seattle to Anchorage: _____________ X 2 daily flights
_________ to Anchorage: _______________

So - we need to fill in the blanks on two aircraft and one city.

7. A thorough perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with 727s. Thinking about 727 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?
PARTIALLY ANSWEREDSo far Hawaii, Mississippi and New Hampshire have been correctly identified. We're looking for just one more state...
HINT: The missing state was the first to give women the right to vote *independently verified
HINT: The first designated National Monument was located in this state *independently verified

Wyoming

Correct! So the four states are Hawaii, Mississippi, Wyoming and New Hampshire.

On a side note, Women have been happily enjoying the right to vote in Wyoming for longer than they have in any other state. The first national monument was Devil's Tower (Seen in the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind") located in the northeast corner of Wyoming.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2016 at 8:59 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a heads up - I'm gonna close out these questions tomorrow (Saturday) night. Then I have an entirely new set focusing on inflight service standards. Some examples might be stuff like what were the height and weight limitations for AA stews in the 1960s? or what was the average portion size of the delicious Northeast Airlines sirloin steaks referenced in question 42. Oh yeah! Clip or push button seatbelts on TWA's Convair 880s and what were the benefits of each type? And finally, what was Frank Lorenzo's least favorite airline meal? These and more await your attention.

So the sooner you get those remaining questions answered, the sooner we can then move on to this scintillating new set of queries!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2016 at 2:21 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
4- well, if not a 707 or 747, SEA-ANC was served by a Boeing 720B ... as for the third NW city in the Lower 48 with nonstop service to ANC, I shall go out on a long limb here and guess JFK with a 707-351
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
HINT: Northwest's Regal Imperial Service would have been offered on two of these routes...

Seattle and Chicago are two of the cities, but your choice of aircraft is wrong in each instance. Per the schedule I reference for this question, no 747s were operated to or through Anchorage at this time.

So let's expedite things a bit: Based on what you've correctly provided, let's state what we know and then some...

Seattle to Anchorage: Boeing 720B X 2 daily flights
New York City to Anchorage: Boeing 707-351

Well, if not a 707 or 747, SEA-ANC was served by a Boeing 720B ... as for the third NW city in the Lower 48 with nonstop service to ANC, I shall go out on a long limb here and guess JFK with a 707-351

You climbed this tree like an orangutan, J! Spot on! ^
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

9. A total of five airlines offered nonstop flights between Jamaica and Miami – two from Kingston and three from Montego Bay. No single airline served both KIN and MBJ nonstop from Miami. Identify the airlines providing nonstop service in each market.
HINT: All but one of the airlines are Caribbean based. The U.S. based airline flies the MBJ-MIA route.
HINT: One of the airlines was involved in a major aircraft swap with a U.S. airline...

HINT: Bruce Willis, Dennis Franz... Bad guys threatening all manner of unsavory things, especially towards airliners and the people on them. Now that I think about it there were two different jets in DH2. The first of them crashed spectacularly on the runway and the other almost ran over poor Bruce Willis...
HINT: The airplane in question was a four engine widebody painted green and white...
9. As Seat 2A will be closing out the remaining quiz items later today, I'll at least get this one started.....

I'm reasonably sure concerning three of the five airlines: Air Jamaica, BWIA and Pan Am.

Air Jamaica and Pan Am were probably both operating KIN-MBJ-MIA service while BWIA may have been flying KIN-MIA as an extension of its service from Caribbean destinations to the southeast (such as BGI and POS).

The other two air carriers? Well, I've no bloody clue, really, so for one of them let's try ALM operating KIN-MIA as an extension of service from AUA and/or CUR.

27. Wild guess time.....

Evergreen International Airlines operating a Boeing 747-100.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm reasonably sure concerning three of the five airlines: Air Jamaica, BWIA and Pan Am.

Air Jamaica and Pan Am were probably both operating KIN-MBJ-MIA service while BWIA may have been flying KIN-MIA as an extension of its service from Caribbean destinations to the southeast (such as BGI and POS).

The other two air carriers? Well, I've no bloody clue, really, so for one of them let's try ALM operating KIN-MIA as an extension of service from AUA and/or CUR.

You're off to a great start, JL! Based upon what you've submitted above, here's what we know so far:

MBJ-MIA Pan American Boeing 707 (2 Daily flights, one operating 1-6-7)
MBJ-MIA Air Jamaica McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 (2 daily flights)
MBJ-MIA ___________________ (One daily flight)

KIN-MIA BWIA Boeing 727-100 (1 flight operating 1-4-6)
KIN-MIA ALM McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30 (1 flight operating 2-3-5-6-7)

So then, it shouldn't be too hard to fill in that blank with another Caribbean based airline...

HINT: Bruce Willis, Dennis Franz... Bad guys threatening all manner of unsavory things, especially towards airliners and the people on them. Now that I think about it there were two different jets in DH2. The first of them crashed spectacularly on the runway and the other almost ran over poor Bruce Willis...
HINT: The airplane in question was a four engine widebody painted green and white...

Wild guess time..... Evergreen International Airlines operating a Boeing 747-100.

That last hint must've done it! Evergreen International is correct. Might this have been the same 747 that went on to be converted into a fire fighting water/slurry tanker?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.
I'm kinda surprised that NOBODY even took a run at this, so here goes:

San Juan (SJU) - Eastern
Santo Domingo (SDQ) - American
Fort de France (FDF) - Air France (props, so to speak , to jlemon for his reply to Q18)
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seattle to Anchorage: Boeing 720B X 2 daily flights
New York City to Anchorage: Boeing 707-351

Well, if not a 707 or 747, SEA-ANC was served by a Boeing 720B ... as for the third NW city in the Lower 48 with nonstop service to ANC, I shall go out on a long limb here and guess JFK with a 707-351

You climbed this tree like an orangutan, J! Spot on!
hmmmmmm ... credit where it's due ... indelaware actually got the cities right a while back
Originally Posted by Indelaware
The airports are pretty obvious, but the equipment isn't. It is likely that various equipment showed up on the routes in over the late 1970s, but I take a stab at:

MSP DC-10
ORD DC-10
JFK 747

They also, for a time in the late 1970s, operated ANC-SEA. Likely with DC-10s & 727s.
Keep in mind Indelaware that the timeline for this question is the year 1970. As such, care to make any revisions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.