Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Aircraft built in 1956 for Sabena (so nearly as old as WHBM !) it's stiil around more than 50 years later as a firefighter in Canada.[/QUOTE]

And a bit of a P.S. here......I believe there is also at least one converted BAe 146 in operation that is now serving as an air tanker for aerial firefighting in the U.S.

Evergreen also has a rather large air tanker: it's a converted B747-100 that can drop up to 20,000 gallons of water. I've actually seen this aircraft in flight. During a low pass and water drop, it basically washed off the north-south runway at Tallahassee (TLH) during a demonstration for federal and state firefighting agencies several years ago.....
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

1) What major U.S. airline operated Douglas DC-7 Combi service flying both passengers and freight on the main deck of the aircraft domestically?

2) What airline operated the Vickers Viscount turboprop between Huntsville (HSV) and Memphis (MEM)?

I don't believe these two questions have been answered.....

1) Northwest

2) Capital. Typical routings included:

EWR-DCA-HSV-MEM

EWR-DCA-GSO-TYS-CHA-HSV-MEM

LGA-TYS-HSV-MEM

United assumed Capital's service into HSV after acquiring the carrier. I saw an ex-Capital Vickers Viscount in UA colors many years ago at the old airport in Huntsville. Alas, I never had the opportunity to fly on a Viscount....

And with that.....

Happy Easter, everyone! :-::-:

I'll pose a few more questions on this beautiful spring day....

1) Name a former operator of the DC-9 series 40 and also explain how this aircraft differed from other DC-9 models.

2) What airline currently operates the MD-10?

3) Name two airlines that flew jet equipment between Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Lubbock (LBB) in early 1976. Also, what type of aircraft did each airline operate on this route?

4) What airline operated jet service into Nantucket, MA (ACK) and what type of aircraft was used?

5) What airline operated B767 service into Hayden Airport (HDN) in Colorado?

6) What type of jet equipment did St. Lucia Airways operate in all cargo service?

7) What airline operated DC-9-50 service nonstop between Boston (BOS) and Philadelphia (PHL)?

8) Name at least one airline that operated nonstop jet service between Birmingham (BHM) and Huntsville (HSV) and also identify the aircraft type.

9) What airline operated the Convair 440 between Sarnia (YZR) and London (YXU) in the Canadian province of Ontario?

10) Name two airlines that operated nonstop jet service between Bakersfield (BFL) and Santa Barbara (SBA) and what type of aircraft did each carrier use?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
1) Name a former operator of the DC-9 series 40 and also explain how this aircraft differed from other DC-9 models.
SAS. 6ft cabin stretch, more powerful engines.

Guessing Bangladesh Biman.

6) What type of jet equipment did St. Lucia Airways operate in all cargo service?
707, unless you count the C-130 as jet

9) What airline operated the Convair 440 between Sarnia (YZR) and London (YXU) in the Canadian province of Ontario?
Great Lakes.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: All of them!
4) Nantucket jet service--if memory serves, New York Air with dc9s, and then People Express using 737 aircraft. (Frank Lorenzo had a house on Nantucket)
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Happy Easter to one and all and thanks for the great questions, jlemon!

Are we talking U.S. operators here? If so, I'll go with NW and I believe OZ/TW also had a few. The differences are detailed in the previous answer above.

Fed Ex. Alot of old -10s that I once flew in the liveries of UA and CO have now been converted to MD-10s (Glass cockpit)

5) What airline operated B767 service into Hayden Airport (HDN) in Colorado?
(Hint - it was seasonal, nonstop from New York if I recall)

7) What airline operated DC-9-50 service nonstop between Boston (BOS) and Philadelphia (PHL)?
I've flown their -50s on that route a few times. That would be Allegheny.

10) Name two airlines that operated nonstop jet service between Bakersfield (BFL) and Santa Barbara (SBA) and what type of aircraft did each carrier use?
I've flown this route with one of them, on a three holer
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
4) Nantucket jet service--if memory serves, New York Air with dc9s, and then People Express using 737 aircraft. (Frank Lorenzo had a house on Nantucket)
And in addition to the above, I believe Continental also served Nantucket from EWR with either DC-9-30s or MD-80s on a seasonal basis during the summer months with an emphasis on scheduled service around the weekends....
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct on all counts, Wally Bird with the possible exception of the MD-10 question.

I believe that only FedEx has upgraded DC-10 aircraft to the MD-10 configuration which as Seat 2A states primarily involves installation of a glass cockpit in lieu of the old "steam gauge" instrumentation.

Canadian carrier Great Lakes Airlines, Ltd. (which should not be confused with current U.S. regional carrier Great Lakes) operated Convair 440 aircraft and then became Air Ontario. This latter carrier operated Convair 580 turboprops.

And no, I do not consider the C-130 to be a jet!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Happy Easter to one and all and thanks for the great questions, jlemon!
Excellent answers from Seat 2A as usual!

5) Yep, service was from EWR and was operated by Continental with B767-200 aircraft. This was scheduled nonstop service on the weekends flown during ski season. Hayden (HDN), of course, serves as the jet airport for the Steamboat Springs ski resort area.

10) Well, you've got me stumped there with your reference to the B727 "three holer" service! I actually flew between Santa Barbara (SBA) and Bakersfield (BFL) several times on jet equipment - but I was on board twin engine aircraft! AA served the route with an MD-80 with an actual routing of DFW-BFL-SBA-DFW. And Pacific Express flew SFO-SBA-BFL-SFO with a BAC One-Eleven.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Correct on all counts, Wally Bird with the possible exception of the MD-10 question.
Ah, excuse my dylsexia, I read that as DC-10 ("Death crate" instead of "Mega death" ).

So anyone know if Biman is still flying passengers in DC-10s? Ghana Airways would have been my second guess if the question had been what I thought it was.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Ah, excuse my dylsexia, I read that as DC-10 ("Death crate" instead of "Mega death" ).

So anyone know if Biman is still flying passengers in DC-10s? Ghana Airways would have been my second guess if the question had been what I thought it was.
Yes, Biman is still flying DC-10s but is slowly phasing them out in favor of fleet revitalization with 777-300ERs, 737-800s and 787-8s in the future. See:

http://biman-airlines.com/home-bottom-pages/fleet-info/
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, you've got me stumped there with your reference to the B727 "three holer" service! I actually flew between Santa Barbara (SBA) and Bakersfield (BFL) several times on jet equipment - but I was on board twin engine aircraft! AA served the route with an MD-80 with an actual routing of DFW-BFL-SBA-DFW. And Pacific Express flew SFO-SBA-BFL-SFO with a BAC One-Eleven.
You're only stumped because I'm wrong. I could've sworn that I'd flown on a United 727-100 between DEN-BFL-SBA but it was actually BFL-SFO. Sorry about that!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3) Name two airlines that flew jet equipment between Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Lubbock (LBB) in early 1976. Also, what type of aircraft did each airline operate on this route?
Well, I've flown that route on one airline that operated a 727-027QC painted in two-tone orange and ochre. I've also flown out of Lubbock on Texas International, so that would be my guess as to the other carrier, operating with either a DC-9-10 or -30.

8) Name at least one airline that operated nonstop jet service between Birmingham (BHM) and Huntsville (HSV) and also identify the aircraft type.
United used to be quite big in HSV, perhaps because of all the NASA activity there. That would be my guess, with the aircraft being a 727-100. In fact, now that I think of it I've actually flown that route (DEN-HSV-BHM-DEN) back in 1986 on United
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Yes, Biman is still flying DC-10s but is slowly phasing them out in favor of fleet revitalization with 777-300ERs, 737-800s and 787-8s in the future.
Biman (from Bangladesh) has made do with aircraft from a past generation for a long time. The last DC-10 I saw come through London Heathrow was one of theirs a couple of years ago, and they still schedule them on various regional and domestic flights. The DC-10 was renowned at Heathrow for turning up either 12 hours late or not at all. They did receive a couple of new 777-300ERs a few months ago, which have presumably ended any chance of seeing the good old DC10 here any more. They still run 747-300 Classics and F28s as well. Long ago they were one of the last 707 operators.

Biman is one of those carriers where the type shown in the timetable, and actuality, are often wildly different. Being a Muslim country they have a large annual programme of flights on the Hadj pilgrimage to Jeddah, for which they operate many additional flights.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great answers from Seat 2A concerning questions #3 and #8 above....

3) Yes, Braniff International flew DFW-LBB back in 1976. The other carrier providing direct competition on the route at this time was Continental. BN and CO flew a mix of B727-100 and B727-200 equipment on the DFW-LBB route. I believe some of these flights continued on to AMA.

8) I lived in Huntsville in the mid 60's as a kid as my Dad was an aerospace engineer with Boeing who was involved in the Apollo program. UA did have a big presence at that time in HSV. Another carrier that flew BHM-HSV in later years was American with MD-80 service on an actual routing of DFW-BHM-HSV-DFW or v.v. And I believe Southern also flew HSV-BHM at one point with a DC-9.

And Seat 2A, please know we are eagerly awaiting your next set of questions!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: BA
Alas, I never had the opportunity to fly on a Viscount....
Have to say my first ever flight was in one. 1966, Liverpool to Isle of Man. 20 minute flight with a 4-engined aircraft. Hooked on aviation thereafter.

There were four operators of scheduled services from Liverpool at the time. One (this one) went to Isle of Man and Belfast, a second went to London, a third to Dublin, and a fourth to Amsterdam, Bristol and Newcastle. What airlines ? And a bonus point for the aircraft types.

Last edited by WHBM; Apr 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reason: Can't count !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.