Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

95. It's 1976 and you are back in Miami. You need to travel to New York. Of course, you could take a nonstop....or you could book a seat on board an interesting multistop flight! You choose to do the latter with a 12:45pm departure from MIA that will get you into LGA at 7:50pm with six (6) intermediate stops being made en route. Name the airline you'll be flying on, all six stops in the order in which they will be made and the jet aircraft type you'll be flying on.
Time to close this one out. Southern Airways operating a DC9-10 has been correctly guessed along with five of the six stops. The remaining stop we were looking for was little ol' Dothan, Alabama (DHN). Here's the sched....

SO 716: Miami (MIA) 12:45p - 1:29p Orlando (MCO) 1:45p - 2:29p Tallahassee (TLH) 2:45p (EST) - 2:17p (CST) Eglin Air Force Base* (VPS) 2:55p - 3:21p Dothan (DHN) 3:36p (CST) - 5:00p (EST) Columbus (CSG) 5:15p - 6:38p Washington Dulles (IAD) 6:57p - 7:50p New York La Guardia (LGA)

Op: Daily

Meal: Dinner CSG-IAD

Class of service: Standard (S)

Equip: DC9

Southern also flew this same route in reverse from LGA to MIA on a daily basis with the DC9. And besides Dothan, other relatively small communities that received Southern DC9 service at this time included Albany, GA (ABY), Columbus, MS (GTR), Tuscaloosa (TCL), Laurel/Hattiesburg (PIB), Jackson, TN (MKL), Greenville, MS (GLH), Muscle Shoals (MSL) and Valdosta (VLD).

It's been fun, folks!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 29, 2016 at 8:09 am Reason: * - as identified in the OAG at this time (VPS)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Besides Dothan, other relatively small communities that received Southern DC9 service at this time included Albany, GA (ABY), Columbus, MS (GTR), Tuscaloosa (TCL), Laurel/Hattiesburg (PIB), Jackson, TN (MKL), Greenville, MS (GLH), Muscle Shoals (MSL) and Valdosta (VLD).

I remember when my hometown of Durango, Colorado first received jet service via Frontier's 737-200s in November of 1977. It was a big deal at the time and of course, quite a few of us went out to the airport to welcome the arrival of the jet age.

Not that any of us Durangoans had any complaints with the 50 seat Convair 580. It was as comfortable as any jet of its day and - given the well padded seats and generous seat pitch of the era - every bit as comfortable. The same plane configured with today's slimline seats and vastly reduced seat pitch might seat as many as 60 passengers.

Those early DC-9-10s didn't seat many more than that. I believe Southern's seated around 70. I am thankful to have had the good fortune to fly through many small airports aboard DC-9-10s with airlines like Hughes Airwest, Ozark and Texas International.

It's been fun, folks!

It sure has! Thanks so much to jlemon for the time and effort that went into not only researching and formulating these questions but also taking the time to answer them so thoroughly. As one who also attempts to submit challenging and/or entertaining questions though with substantially less ability, I can tell you that the investment in time is considerable. We are in your debt, sir. ^^
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: BA
Given that we've started to reminisce about older aircraft types we remember taking, maybe we can exchange what we can recall flying on that would now be a classic. I can't contribute a Martin (I don't think one ever crossed the Atlantic), but can offer :

Vickers Viscount. First flight ever. Only a couple of trips, although there would be one or more hanging round any UK airport into the late 1980s.

Hawker 748. With BA, no less, among others.

BAe ATP, the rather poor performing (and poor selling) successor. Recall rather a nicely done interior in the Loganair one from Edinburgh to Manchester one evening.

Hawker Siddeley Trident. All three variants, almost my most regular aircraft in the early 1980s. All with BA.

BAC One Eleven. A surprising range of operators. Let's mention good old Dan-Air from the days of true independent UK airlines.

BAe 146. Still around over here, but gone from North America. All the various sizes - including the little short ones that started jet service out of London City.

De Havilland DH89 Rapide. Ah, a wooden-framed airliner. Incidentally, you can still get a flight on one here if you wish.

What a lot of UK manufactured aircraft. If only ...

Saab 2000. Never a success in the US but there are a number still around over here.

Boeing 707 and 720B. Just like a 737 inside, really, but a first Atlantic crossing.

DC-9-10. British Midland had several of these, for some years leased from Finnair with Finnish pilots. Always seemed very manoeuvrable in the air.

Convair 580. In American Eagle colours.

Tupolev 154. A very fine and stable aircraft. Let's try the new photo attachment feature. Here we were boarding on the open ramp, while the nosewheel was STILL jacked up with the engineers changing a tyre ! All complete a few minutes later and off we went. I don't think that would happen at a UK airport.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Ah, Seat 2A.....your above comment concerning your submission of "challenging and/or entertaining questions though with substantially less ability" is simply not true, sir! IMHO, your quiz items have always been excellent.

And in the same vein as WHBM, here is my response:

* Lockheed L-188 Electra operated by PSA round trip LAX-SFO (my first commercial flight ever)

* Boeing 707 operated by American from LAX nonstop to MEM (my first jet flight ever connecting to.....)

* Martin 4-0-4 operated by Southern Airways from MEM nonstop to HSV

* Sikorsky S-61 helicopter operated by SFO Helicopter from OAK to SFO (connecting to.......)

* Boeing 747-100 operated by American from SFO to ORD (my first flight on board a wide body and there was lovely coach lounge in the back featuring what I seem to remember was an electric piano)

* de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter operated by Houston Metro on the short "cross town" hop between CLC and IAH (also flew on an Eastern Express Twin Otter into Virgin Gorda (VIJ) in the BVI back when the runway there was not paved)

* Convair 600 operated by Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) from LIT to MEM (we were supposed to stop in Jonesboro, AR but executed a missed approach at night due to one heck of a thunderstorm at JBR)

* Douglas DC9-10 operated by TTa all over the place including HOU, SAT, CRP, HRL, LIT, DAL, MAF, ROW, ABQ, SAF, BTR and MSY via a $25 unlimited weekend travel pass promotion several times (also flew on TWA operated DC9-10 aircraft)

* BAC One-Eleven operated by Braniff International MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-DAL (that was my first flight on the One-Eleven. Started out in Y but was then bumped up to F out of LIT. Other flights on BN operated aircraft followed as well as flights in later years on Pacific Express operated One-Elevens out of SBA, LAX, SFO, PSP and BFL)

* Boeing 720 operated by Braniff International between HOU and DAL (the non-turbofan version, of course)

* Boeing 720B operated by Continental from LAX nonstop to IAH (on board the Proud Bird with the Golden Tail traveling with my dear old Grandma from my Mom's side of the family)

* Convair 880 operated by Delta from IAH nonstop to ATL (connecting to........)

* Douglas DC8 operated by Delta from ATL to DTW via DAY (also a stretched Super DC8-61 flight operated by National from IAH to MSY)

* Airbus A300 operated by Eastern and Continental (also flew on board the A300-600R operated by American and Lufthansa)

* Convair 580 operated by Era Aviation from ANC nonstop to SCC (this was an oil & gas company charter to the North Slope and I was up in the flight deck in the jumpseat. When we broke out of the clouds and the runway at Prudhoe Bay came into view, it looked like something out of a science fiction movie and we were landing on an icy planet)

* Boeing 737-200 Combi operated by Alaska Airlines and Mark Air in Alaska out of ANC, ADQ, BRW, SCC, CDV and FAI

* Nord 262 operated by Swift Aire from SBP nonstop to LAX

* de Havilland Heron operated by Swift Aire from LAX to SBP via SMX (my only flight on board a four engine, piston powered commuter airliner)

* Fokker F.27 operated by Swift Aire from SBP to LAX via SMX (the Heron was gone from the Swift Aire fleet by this time)

* Fokker F.28 operated by Piedmont MIA-EYW round trip (this was my first time on board the F.28 followed by numerous flights on Horizon Air operated aircraft primarily round trip PDX-BOI & SEA-BOI and also round trip SEA-GEG)

* Swearingen Metro II/III primarily operated by SkyWest as the Delta Connection and Wings West as American Eagle (many, many, many flights on the Metro - I had an annual NRSA pass courtesy of SkyWest as well as pass privileges on AA Eagle when I lived near SBP)

* Beechcraft 1900C operated by Business Express from LGA to BDL

* Short 360 operated by Business Express from BDL to LGA

* BAe Jetstream 31/32 primarily operated by Wings West as American Eagle and also Trans States as US Airways Express (lots of flights on the J31)

* Embraer EMB-110 Bandierante operated by West Air as United Express and also by Dash Air (I worked as a Sales & Marketing Manager for Dash Air)

* de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 operated by Hawaiian Air from LIH to HNL

* Westland 30 helicopter operated by Airspur from SNA to LAX (we landed on top of one of the parking structures inside of the looping road access system at LAX)

* McDonnell Douglas DC9-30 operated by Hughes Airwest round trip BUR-DEN via SLC in both directions (lots of other D9S flights, too, on CO, DL, EA, HA etc. plus D95 flights on HA, MC, NW etc. in addition to numerous B727-100 and B727-200 rides on just about every U.S. based legacy air carrier that operated the airplane)

* Handley Page Jetstream operated by Pacific Coast Airlines (formerly Apollo Airways) out of SBA to LAX, MRY, SJC and SFO on a number of occasions (this was the original Jetstream, of course, with the interesting French engines)

* McDonnell Douglas DC-10 operated by American in first LAX-DFW-SJU (my first visit to the Caribbean)

* Lockheed L-1011 operated by Eastern in first SJU-MIA-LAX

* Boeing 747-300 Combi round trip in business class LAX-AMS on KLM Royal Dutch (my first trip to Europe)

* McDonnell Douglas MD-11 operated by Delta and Swissair with all flights in business class

* BAe 146-100, 146-200 & 146-300 respectively operated by TriStar, PSA and Air Wisconsin (the latter as United Express)

* Fairchild F-27 operated by Connect Air round trip SBA-SJC (I non-revved in blue jeans and was almost denied boarding because I was not properly dressed for NRSA travel)

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 31, 2016 at 7:09 am Reason: fine tuning & added more (BAC 1-11, BAe 146, B720, F28, Westland 30, B737-200 Combi, B747-300 Combi, DC10, L1011, MD-11 etc.)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Given that this is indeed the Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion thread, a little discussion and/or reminiscing is always a welcome event.

Some of the old time airliners I've had the good fortune to fly upon include:

Douglas DC-3: Thanks to Provincetown Boston Airlines, I flew aboard my first DC-3 from Naples to Miami in 1986.

Douglas DC-6: New York IDL to Providence in the summer of 1962. Comfortable seats and a hot dinner up to PVD

Douglas DC-8: I logged a lot of flights aboard United DC-8s starting in 1962. Over the years I flew aboard the -12s, -50s, 61s, 62s and 71s.

McDonnell-Douglas DC-9: By the time I logged my first flight aboard the DC-9-10 (An Eastern bird between ATL and TPA in 1977) it was McDonnell-Douglas. My first -30 flight was aboard Hughes Airwest (SLC-PDX in 1975), -40 aboard Northwest (DTW-MEM in 2002), -50 aboard Hawaiian Air (LIH-HNL in 1977) and -80 (Hawaiian Air (HNL-OGG in 1982)

McDonnell-Douglas DC-10: I intentionally "overslept" in order to miss the boring 727 I was originally booked on, allowing me to log my first flight aboard a United DC-10 (LGA-ORD in 1972)

Boeing 707: My first flight was aboard a golden tailed example from Continental (LAX-DEN in 1962).

Boeing 720: I flew on a lot of these with my first coming aboard a Western Airlines 720B with the classic Indian Head livery (DEN-PHX in 1965)

Boeing 727: In 1964 I got taken out of class to fly off to New York for the Worlds Fair. We flew out in style aboard a United 727-22. My first -200 flight came aboard American between LGA and ORD in 1970.

Boeing 737: United did the honors between LAX and SBA on a warm August night in 1972.

Boeing 747: My first flight came aboard a nearly empty Continental flight between Chicago and Denver in 1971.

Boeing 747SP: Pan Am did the honors via a $13.00 standby fare between SFO and LAX in 1979.

Convair 880: We flew back home from the 1964 Worlds Fair aboard a TWA 880.

Lockheed Electra: My mom was so enthralled with the '64 Mustang she'd rented that we missed our 720B flight from PHX up to DEN and had to be rebooked aboard an Electra. I remember being very disappointed at having to fly on a boring old prop. It was March of 1966.

Lockheed L-1011: It took me awhile to log my first flight on this beautiful airplane - it came between Newark and Hartford in 1977.

DHC-6 Twin Otter: Golden West did the honor of providing my first flight on the TO between LAX and OXN in 1972.

Nord 262: Allegheny Commuter operated my first Nord 262 flight between PHL and DCA in 1979.

HS748: Tired of riding the bus or hitchhiking, I splurged and bought a ticket aboard New Zealand's Mt. Cook Air Line from Queenstown to Christchurch via the National Park. The year was 1984.

YS-11: An inter-island flight aboard Hawaii's Mid-Pacific Airlines provided my first flight aboard the YS-11 in 1981.

BAe-146: My first 146 flight came aboard a -100 from Aspen Airways (ASE-DEN in 1985). Ansett New Zealand provided my first -200 (DUN-CHC) in 1991 while Ansett Australia served up a -300 on a CNS-ASP-AYQ-PER flight in 1995.

Fokker F27: My first trip to Tahiti included a flight from Papeete to Bora Bora aboard an Air Polynesie F27 - my first - in July of 1981.

Fokker F28: Piedmont Airlines flew me from Miami to Naples aboard an ex-Empire F28 in 1986.

BAC-111: I was fortunate to fly aboard 111s on a wide variety of airlines. My first flight was aboard Allegheny Airlines between Buffalo and Pittsburgh in 1977.

Ilyushin IL-62: $63.00 bought me my first and only flight aboard an IL-62, a CSA bird flying between New York and Montreal

Concorde: I was on the inaugural flight of the Braniff/AF/BA interchange, flying from IAD to DFW aboard the AF Concorde. The date was January 12, 1979.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2016 at 9:21 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It’s been awhile since I’ve submitted any questions and so I may be a bit rusty. In any event, I only mention it because I’ve got quite a few questions to present here and while I feel confident about my research, if any of you don’t – not only now but ever - I welcome challenges on any given question. Take question 3 for example. My answer consists of the two flights I found from my 1970 OAG and while I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any possible routes, if you think I might have then let me know and I'll check. There's no offense taken on my part and the act of discovery benefits us all. I’ve got the OAGs and I’m willing to investigate any responses you may wish to question. Keep in mind that I've been a regular reader of old OAGs for over 40 years now and I've got a pretty good working knowledge of where a lot of flights operated - especially the widebodies which I used to track with every new OAG I procured back in the day. For non-schedule related questions I’ve bookmarked my source of references which I’ll also be happy to share.

Beyond that – I encourage you to come up with 40 or 50 of your own questions any time. We all benefit from greater participation and by the time we get through this batch (not all of them are posted) I'll be heading back to work where sketchy internet connections often make timely responses untenable. That means I'll be out of commission until September or thereabouts. Seriously - think about it. It'd be great to have some fresh takes on the questions. And don't forget what I said earlier about upgrades and cash!

By now it’s a well-known fact that quite a few people follow but don’t necessarily participate in the OTAQ&D. As of thirty seconds ago when I last checked, we had 454,815 views - many many many times more than any other thread in the Travel Buzz forum. It’s always a good day when someone new decides to take the plunge and have a go at our quiz with an answer or two.

While our core participants are all familiar with this by now, I would like to reiterate that we please limit our responses to no more than two or three questions at a time so that any and all – be they lurkers or participants - might have an equal opportunity to participate.

Now then – on to the questions…

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS THE LATTER HALF OF 1970

1. It’s late 1970 and 747s had been in service for less than a year. Following a thorough perusal of the relevant OAG, I have identified a total of four domestic coast to coast routes being flown at the time. Identify each of these routes and the airline(s) flying it.

2. If you lived in Dallas and wanted to fly aboard the new 747, you’d have a choice of two destinations and two airlines. Identify the destinations and the airlines offering the service to each.

3. Identify the two shortest 747 routes being operated domestically in late 1970

4. Northwest Airlines operated a total of four daily flights into Anchorage from three different airports in the Continental U.S. Identify each airport and the aircraft type being used on each route.

5. United Airlines offered nonstop flights to Honolulu from seven different mainland airports. Identify each airport.

6. As of late 1970, there were three states that had jet service from only one airline. Identify each state and the airline that provided service to that state.

7. A thorough perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with 727s. Thinking about 727 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?

8. A further perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with DC-9s of any model. Thinking about DC-9 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?

9. A total of five airlines offered nonstop flights between Jamaica and Miami – two from Kingston and three from Montego Bay. No single airline served both KIN and MBJ nonstop from Miami. Identify the airlines providing nonstop service in each market.

10. Identify three states that had a total of 10 or less jet flights operated into or out of the state each day.

11. I’ve found ten states that as of late 1970 had no flights operated with four engine jets (707, 720, DC-8, 880, 990) anywhere statewide. Can you identify them?

12. This flight originates in Europe and, after stopping in Montreal, continues on to Guatemala City with one intermediate stop. Identify the airline, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used on this flight.

13. Every Monday evening at 8:45pm, a UTA DC-8 departs Los Angeles headed for Honolulu and beyond. Its ultimate destination is Paris LeBourget Airport and along the way nine enroute stops are made, all under the same flight number. We know then that Honolulu is the first stop. Can you identify the other eight? A N S W E R E D

14. Every morning at 8:50am, an Air West DC-9-30 would depart Phoenix bound for Yuma, Arizona. Beyond Yuma a further eight stops were made before the flight finally terminated at Seattle’s Boeing Field at 5:05pm. Can you identify the eight enroute stops?

15. Continental was operating nonstop flights from Los Angeles to five different Texas airports. Identify each airport and the one served by a single DC-9 flight each day.

16. Only one state east of the Mississippi River has four cities that are served by nonstop flights from Los Angeles. Identify the state and each of the four cities served by these nonstops. Feel free to identify the airlines involved as well if you like. A N S W E R E D

17. Each afternoon this airline’s jet would depart Chicago’s Midway Airport bound for Billings, Montana and beyond. Two stops were made enroute to Billings from Chicago. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft used for this flight.

18. Air France jets flew nonstop from New York’s JFK to six airports outside U.S. borders. Identify each of these airports.

19. The 720 mile nonstop distance between Chicago and New York does not lend itself well to multi-stop jet flights. As you scan down the 80-90 some-odd flights serving this route that are listed in the OAG, you see mostly nonstops and only a sprinkling of one and two stop flights. Suddenly, there it is… A harp glissando and a chorus from the heavens ring out as you ogle wide eyed at a listing that not only features four stops but will also be offering a dinner along the way between O’Hare and LaGuardia. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft used.

20. Fans of milk-runs would be surprised if not thrilled to find a two stop flight operating between Washington National (DCA) and New York JFK. It’s the only two-stop flight in the listings and it’s operated with a jet that’s even longer than a 707. Now then, where on earth would such a flight stop? What airline operates it and what kind of jet is utilized?

21. Of the fifteen New York state airports that Mohawk Airlines serves with direct or nonstop flights from the three New York City area airports, only seven are served nonstop with the airline’s BAC-111 jets. Identify each of those cities.

22. Woo Hoo! After working for six years at a big New York City firm, you’ve finally been chosen to attend a Real Estate Law seminar in Beaumont/Pt. Arthur, Texas. A call to your agent at Liberty Travel reveals that one airline offers a single direct flight departing JFK each morning and making two stops along the way. Breakfast and a snack will be served. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.

23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.

24. In 1970 five airlines were operating jets on the short leg between Cleveland and Detroit. Identify each of the five airlines as well as the respective equipment they were operating on this route.

25. This state has nonstop jet flights from more airports to New York City area airports than any other state.

GENERAL COMMERCIAL AVIATION RELATED QUESTIONS

26. What was the first airline to operate the Boeing 767 in Europe?

27. What airline and airplane were featured in the 1990 movie Die Hard 2?

28. American Airlines’ new livery features a stylized U.S. flag on the tail. Can you name four other U.S. airlines that also have or had stylized U.S. flags on their tails?

29. 56 Boeing 377 Stratocruisers were built for 5 airlines. What was different about the aircraft built for Northwest and United Airlines?

30. All of the airlines in the two groups listed below operated widebodied jets. What’s the difference between the airlines in group one as opposed to the airlines in group two?
Group 1: American, Continental, Eastern, United, TWA
Group 2: Delta, National, Northwest, Pan Am, Western

31. What was the only U.S. airline to operate its mainline jet equipment into each of the 50 U.S. states? Additionally, what did that airline do to promote this?

32. The Wright Amendment limited flights from Dallas’ Love Field to airports within Texas or to four neighboring U.S. states: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma. Flights beyond these four states were allowed only on aircraft configured with 56 seats or less. What was the largest airliner ever to operate out of Love Field and where did it fly to?

33. I was in a thrift shop the other day and I came across a DVD of this old 1970s era action flick - Whiteline Fever - starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Kay Lenz. The price was right – only $2.00 – and as an added bonus, Slim Pickens was in it. Well that settled it then! Never one to fritter away my life watching Merchant Ivory films in perpetuity, I bought the DVD and tossed it on my stack of movies to watch someday. That day came a couple nights ago. Imagine then my surprise and delight as in the opening scenes the camera panned across an airport tarmac showing a distinctive control tower with the airport’s location emblazoned down its side in large letters. As the scene unfolded further, a beautiful four engine jetliner approached from afar. The camera caught it nicely as it glided over the threshold, landed and then taxied up to the non-jetway equipped gate. Any of y’all seen this movie? Any thoughts on the airport and the airplane featured?

34. In 1947, this airline introduced once weekly super deluxe flights across the Atlantic. The aircraft was outfitted in a “Deluxe all-sleeper” configuration limited to just 18 passengers. Identify the airline, the single route flown and the aircraft utilized.

35. Aboard what airline’s airplane would you find the “Kabuki Room” on?

36. You are seated in the “Garden of Wisteria”. Name the airline and airplane you are flying upon.

37. Amongst the signature cocktails offered aboard select flights on this U.S. airline were “The Gusher”, “Liquid Gold” or “The Derrick”. Identify the airline.

38. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Hawaiian Lounge” inflight?

39. On what airline’s airliner could you deposit a quarter and play the electronic TV game “Pong”?

40. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Fujiyama Room” for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres?

41. What was the first of the original 13 U.S. local service airlines to fly 727s?

42. In early 1968, this airline installed new $33,000.00 broiler ovens and began serving steak to both First and Economy Class passengers on all of its lunch and dinner flights out of Montreal.

43. Jumping to the present for you old timers, what are the longest and shortest distance flights currently being operated by Southwest Airlines?

44. Over the years, Air Wisconsin operated a variety of aircraft. All of them were acquired second hand with the exception of one type, purchased new from the manufacturer. What type of aircraft was it?

45. With the retirement of a particular aircraft type, this airline became the world’s first all 747 operator back in the late 1970s. Can you identify the airline and the aircraft type it retired to become an all-747 operator? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA
13. Every Monday evening at 8:45pm, a UTA DC-8 departs Los Angeles headed for Honolulu and beyond. Its ultimate destination is Paris LeBourget Airport and along the way nine enroute stops are made, all under the same flight number. We know then that Honolulu is the first stop. Can you identify the other eight?
Let’s have a go at this toughie here. It would be easy to answer if I could see the old ABC Guide, the equivalent of the OAG in Europe, because UTA always took a few paid pages (on blue paper if I recall) to show their own complete schedules in traditional format.

Papeete (UTA’s Pacific crew base) has to be on the list after Honolulu, and also Noumea. Singapore was also standard for them. UTA were allowed to serve the old Indo-China along with Air France, so let’s say Saigon, then they were allowed Colombo in Ceylon, and Athens. That’s six. The rest are guesses. Did they do a second Indo-China point, say Phnom Penh ? And I wonder if Nice got a penultimate stop on the way in to France.

It may have been by 1970 that UTA cabin crew had elegant white dresses done, of course, by a Paris high fashion house. They appeared to make no concession to the many third-world destinations that UTA served. I recall a group photo of stewardesses in front of a DC8-62 at some obscure African airport, looking from another planet in contrast to all the locals looking on; you would have thought they were doing a fashion shoot at a French chateau. The French Foreign Ministry, located on the Quai d’Orsay in Paris and known as often as not by this street name, were said to be the longstanding financial supporter of UTA, who linked Paris to most of the onetime French colonies around the world.

45. With the retirement of a particular aircraft type, this airline became the world’s first all 747 operator back in the late 1970s. Can you identify the airline and the aircraft type it retired to become an all-747 operator?
I think of Qantas, selling their last 707 to become an all-747 operator.

16. Only one state east of the Mississippi River has four cities that are served by nonstop flights from Los Angeles. Identify the state and each of the four cities served by these nonstops. Feel free to identify the airlines involved as well if you like.
I'm only doing this one to have a go at US geography (stand by for large fall). But I would say, if there's only one, Ohio. Now Ohio to LAX has to be TWA territory (as it had been since 1930), so let's go for : Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. I understand that the airport for Cincinnati is in Kentucky, but the "city served" is in Ohio. American probably has a shot at Cleveland, and maybe Cincinnati, as well. United to Cleveland as well ? Can't believe there are three. OK. leave TWA out from Cleveland.

Incidentally, I was in the suburbs of Cleveland OH (in a rather dreary Sheraton) less than 24 hours after taking that photo of, and riding in, the Rossiya Tupolev 154 I posted above !

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 29, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
13. Every Monday evening at 8:45pm, a UTA DC-8 departs Los Angeles headed for Honolulu and beyond. Its ultimate destination is Paris LeBourget Airport and along the way nine enroute stops are made, all under the same flight number. We know then that Honolulu is the first stop. Can you identify the other eight?

Let’s have a go at this toughie here. It would be easy to answer if I could see the old ABC Guide, the equivalent of the OAG in Europe, because UTA always took a few paid pages (on blue paper if I recall) to show their own complete schedules in traditional format.

Papeete (UTA’s Pacific crew base) has to be on the list after Honolulu, and also Noumea. Singapore was also standard for them. UTA were allowed to serve the old Indo-China along with Air France, so let’s say Saigon, then they were allowed Colombo in Ceylon, and Athens. That’s six. The rest are guesses. Did they do a second Indo-China point, say Phnom Penh ? And I wonder if Nice got a penultimate stop on the way in to France.

It may have been by 1970 that UTA cabin crew had elegant white dresses done, of course, by a Paris high fashion house. They appeared to make no concession to the many third-world destinations that UTA served. I recall a group photo of stewardesses in front of a DC8-62 at some obscure African airport, looking from another planet in contrast to all the locals looking on; you would have thought they were doing a fashion shoot at a French chateau. The French Foreign Ministry, located on the Quai d’Orsay in Paris and known as often as not by this street name, were said to be the longstanding financial supporter of UTA, who linked Paris to most of the onetime French colonies around the world.

What a great way to start off this set of questions WHBM, and congratulations on a great job of fleshing out the routing. You are 90% correct. I could leave the missing stop out to be answered later but since it’s between PPT and NOU, I should imagine the answer would become immediately obvious.

I sourced the schedule and routing for this question from a 1970 domestic OAG. As such, it shows the LAX-HNL flight times only. However, the entire flight routing is shown in the routing guide. Unfortunately, being as it’s a domestic OAG I can’t provide departure and arrival times for the entire itinerary. Additionally, I stand corrected in that there is a flight number change at Noumea, i.e. UT 1585 LAX-NOU and UT 1575 NOU-LBG. Here’s the routing:

UT 1585 LAX-HNL-PPT-NAN-NOU UT 1575 SIN-SGN-PNH-CMB-ATH-LBG
45. With the retirement of a particular aircraft type, this airline became the world’s first all 747 operator back in the late 1970s. Can you identify the airline and the aircraft type it retired to become an all-747 operator?

I think of Qantas, selling their last 707 to become an all-747 operator

Good on ya, mate. Qantas it is. QF retired its last 707 in 1979.
16. Only one state east of the Mississippi River has four cities that are served by nonstop flights from Los Angeles. Identify the state and each of the four cities served by these nonstops. Feel free to identify the airlines involved as well if you like.

I'm only doing this one to have a go at US geography (stand by for large fall). But I would say, if there's only one, Ohio. Now Ohio to LAX has to be TWA territory (as it had been since 1930), so let's go for : Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati. I understand that the airport for Cincinnati is in Kentucky, but the "city served" is in Ohio. American probably has a shot at Cleveland, and maybe Cincinnati, as well. United to Cleveland as well? I can't believe there are three. OK. leave TWA out from Cleveland.

You display an excellent grasp of U.S. geography for one who’s not from here ^ And you are of course spot on. Here’s the line up:

Los Angeles to Cleveland:

UA 70 8:45a – 3:55p D8F
AA 74 9:15a – 4:24p B7F
UA 78 2:00p – 9:06p D8F
AA 72 3:00p – 10:04p B7F
AA 36 11:05p – 6:05a B7F X6

Los Angeles to Cincinnati

TW 204 8:35a – 3:23p 880
TW 182 3:00p – 9:46p B7F

Los Angeles to Columbus

TW 16 11:10p – 6:05a B7F

Los Angeles to Dayton

TW 22 9:55a – 4:41p B7F

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:08 pm

Interesting airplanes on which I've flown:

TWA 049 Constellation LGA-MID-LAX
TWA 1649A Constellation IDL-LAX
TWA 104G Constellation JFK-Springfield
AA 707 LAX-IDL (1959), etc.
EA Electra LGA-Richmond, etc.
Loftleidir CL-44,JFK - KEF - Luxembourg
Pan Am 727 Munich-Riem - Berlin-Tempelhof
BEA Viscount Berlin-Tempelhof - Cologne
AA BAC-111 LGA-Buffalo
Ozark DC-9 Washington-Dulles - LGA
Allegheny Convair 580 Newark-Syracuse
EA Tristar JFK-San Juan (1975), etc.
Western 720 Vancouver-LA
North Central Convair 580 Milwaukee- ORD
Singapore 747 Zurich-Frankfurt
Indian HS-748 Bombay-Bhopal, etc.
Interflug Ilyushin-18 Berlin-Schoenefeld - Prague
Pan Am Tristar JFK - Paris-Orly - Zurich
CAAC Trident Guangzhou-Guilin
Interflug TU-134 Moscow-Sherm. - Berlin Schoenefeld
Pan Am A-310 JFK - Berlin-Tegel
Air Lanka Tristar Colombo - Male
Kenya Airways DC-8 Nairobi-Kigali-Bujumbura, etc.
Air Tanzania 737 Dar es Salaam-Kilimanjaro-Entebbe-Bujumbura
Ethiopian 757 Bujumbura-Kigali-Addis Ababa
Balkan Antonov-24 Sofia-Varna, etc.
Balkan TU-134 Sofia - Berlin-Schoenefeld, etc.
Balkan 767 Sofia-JFK
MALEV TU-134 Sofia-Budapest, etc.
Balkan 737 Sofia-Rome
Air France Concorde JFK_CDG
Air Koryo Tu-204 Pyongyang-Vladivostok

Last edited by Track; Jan 30, 2016 at 7:57 am
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's an impressive collection there, Track. ^ On the assumption you've lived in New York for many years, did you ever get a chance to fly on Mohawk or Northeast's Yellowbirds? Or better yet NE's Convair jets?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ok, I guess since I started this, I need to weigh in with the first installment of my more memorable "keepers" ... in most cases these are my first flights on types; some are first or only flights on airlines)
  1. Lockheed 749 Constellation, TWA, ABQ-MDW (first flight, at age 8 months; I still have the certificate signed by the pilot)
  2. Lockheed Electra, Western, LAX-SFO
  3. Boeing 720B, Western, SFO-LAX
  4. Fairchild Hiller FH-227B, Mohawk, DCA-ELM-ITH
  5. BAC 1-11, Mohawk, ELM-CLE
  6. Boeing 707-320C, Northwest, CLE-ORD
  7. Boeing 727-200, TWA, ORD-DCA
  8. Douglas DC-9-30, Allegheny, DCA-PHL
  9. Convair 240 (USAF T-29), ITH-FFO(Wright-Patterson AFB)-ITH (ROTC base visit)
  10. Douglas DC-4 (USAF VC-54D), ITH-FFO-VPS-SYR (ROTC base visit; diverted due to crosswinds at ITH)
  11. Convair 580, Allegheny, ITH-ELM-DCA
  12. Boeing 727-100, National, DCA-MIA
  13. Convair 880, Delta, MIA-ATL (F at night for daytime coach fare)
  14. Boeing 747, Pan Am (Delta interchange), ATL-IAD (F)
  15. Douglas DC-10, American, DTW-ROC
  16. Douglas DC-3, Air New England, LGA-EWB-HYA (only flight on NE)
  17. Douglas DC-6 (USAF C-118), ADW(Andrews AFB)-VPS-COS (first Space-Available hop as ROTC cadet)
  18. Boeing 737, Frontier, DEN-GJT-SLC
  19. Boeing KC-135, USAF, (Lockbourne AFB, now Rickenbacker)LCK - CBM (Columbus AFB MS) (ROTC base visit during summer camp)
  20. Swearingen Metro II, Commuter Airlines, BGM-DCA
  21. Convair 600, Texas International, IAH-SHV-GGG-DFW (only flight on TI)
  22. Hawker 748, Air Illinois, Chicago Meigs (CGX) - Springfield IL (CAP) - Centralia (ENL) - Carbondale (MDH) (only flight on QX)
  23. Nihon YS-11, Piedmont, ROA-DCA
  24. Lockheed P-3B, Navy, ADW-LCK-FFO-NBU (Glenview NAS near Chicago) - BKF (Buckley AFB in Denver) - MOD - NUQ (Moffett NAS near San Jose) (Space-A hop)
  25. Lockheed L-1011, PSA, SFO-LAX
  26. Douglas DC-8-50, Delta, DFW-ATL
  27. Nord 262, Allegheny Commuter, DCA-PHL
  28. Douglas DC-9-50, Allegheny, PIT-ORD
  29. DeHaviland Heron, Allegheny Commuter, CLE-MFD-CLE
  30. DeHaviland Twin Otter, Allegheny Commuter, ALB-SYR
  31. FH-227B, Ozark, ORD-BRL-UIN-STL (only flight on OZ)
  32. Fairchild F-27, Rockwell International, LAX-EDW-LAX (B-1 flight test support)
  33. Douglas DC-8-61, United, LAX-SFO
  34. Douglas DC-8-12, United, DEN-SFO
  35. Douglas DC-8-40, CP Air, LAX-YVR (F) (#200 in my log)

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 18, 2016 at 3:39 pm Reason: corrected aircraft type in #20
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
ok, I guess since I started this, I need to weigh in with the first installment of my more memorable "keepers" ...
The "first installment"? How many are there overall?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm just about to leave the office, having arrived ~0800 ... didn't want to spend any more time reviewing my flight log (Excel version) tonight, but considering that I've gone thru less than 10% of it ...

realistically, that's probably half of what I'll wind up with
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I'll try #34;

American Airlines with a DC3
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
34. In 1947, this airline introduced once weekly super deluxe flights across the Atlantic. The aircraft was outfitted in a “Deluxe all-sleeper” configuration limited to just 18 passengers. Identify the airline, the single route flown and the aircraft utilized. If you like, you may also identify the service brand.

American Airlines with a DC3

G'Day VH-RMD! I believe you might be thinking of American Airlines' Mercury Service which utilized DC-7s and was flown trans-continentally within the continental U.S.

In this case however, we're looking for a different airline - one that in its ad for this service claimed to offer berths wider than the lower berth on a railway car as well as "delectable foods", "vintage wines" and "irreproachably pleasant and discerning service".

Hmm... who ever could it be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.