Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
I know KP operated to:

Chicago Midway Correct!
Atlanta Correct!
West Palm Beach Correct!
Orlando Correct!

I believe they also served:

San Juan Yes, but not nonstop from Newark

But it's completely-random-guess time as to the sixth destination:

Indianapolis Incorrect

Happy New Year to all!
64. Two more destinations to go....and Happy New Year to everyone as well!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

47. Five airlines were operating nonstop service from San Antonio (SAT) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH). Three of these air carriers were major airlines with two of the carriers operating two different aircraft types while the third operated only one type on the route. The fourth airline operated both jet and turboprop equipment and was actually flying on behalf of another air carrier. And the fifth airline only operated one flight a week with a small turboprop. Name all five air carriers and identify the respective aircraft they operated from SAT to IAH.
47-B: We are still looking for the identity of the fourth air carrier here. Prior hints include the fact the airline in question was flying a code share service for a major airline on the SAT-IAH route and that the turboprop type was quite a bit larger than a Twin Otter. And here's another hint: the jet type was a twin engine aircraft (but not a regional jet) as was the turboprop (which was originally conceived as an aircraft designed to provide expanded passenger capacity in terms of additional seats for local service air carriers).

Last call for this quiz item! I shall provide the answer next year.......and now ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 3, 2016 at 9:43 am Reason: additional hint & answer update
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

54. In 1985, Arrow Air was operating a hub in San Juan (SJU) with nonstop service to seven (7) destinations. Name them all and also identify the equipment that Arrow Air was flying at this time. Hint: Five of the destinations were located on the U.S. mainland (two were in Florida) and the other two were located in Canada.

56. In 1987, two different air carriers were operating Air Canada Connector service in eastern Canada on behalf on AC via code share agreements. Between them, six different turboprop powered aircraft types were operated as well as one piston powered type. Name both airlines and identify all seven aircraft. Hint: seating configuration on these aircraft ranged from seven (7) passenger seats to fifty-five (55) passenger seats. And only one of these aircraft was manufactured in Europe.

58. In 1994, this new start up air carrier was operating nonstop service from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to three destinations including Long Beach (LGB), Newark (EWR) and St. Petersburg (PIE). Identify the airline and the equipment it flew. Hint: aircraft was a mainline jet type with a T-tail.

60. Only one airline was flying nonstop service from Acapulco (ACA) to Miami (MIA) in 1996. This service was operated once a week and was flown with a wide body aircraft. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.
Hint: the aircraft was not a DC-10 and the airline was not based in the western hemisphere. Oh, and this flight continued on to a destination in Europe.
Last call for these quiz items as well with answers to be provided after the advent of the New Year.......and all now ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 3, 2016 at 9:30 am Reason: additional hints & all now answered
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

64. In 1998, Kiwi International Air Lines was operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 service from Newark (EWR) to six destinations. Name them all. Partially answered....two more destinations to go

The final quiz items in my set have a time line of 1999:

65. At this time, Air Wisconsin operating as United Express was flying nonstop service with BAe 146 aircraft from Denver (DEN) to no less than fifteen (15) different destinations. Identify as many of these destinations as you can.
Two-thirds answered....five more destinations to go

70. Only one air carrier was operating Fokker F.28 Fellowship service into Raleigh/Durham (RDU) at this time with nonstop service to two destinations. Identify the airline and two destinations.
And these quiz items are still out there as well......

UPDATE: #64 and #70 have now been ANSWERED. We are still looking for four more destinations concerning #65.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 3, 2016 at 9:44 am Reason: Update....
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:37 am

64. In 1998, Kiwi International Air Lines was operating nonstop Boeing 727-200 service from Newark (EWR) to six destinations. Name them all. Partially answered....two more destinations to go

70. Only one air carrier was operating Fokker F.28 Fellowship service into Raleigh/Durham (RDU) at this time with nonstop service to two destinations. Identify the airline and two destinations.
64. I think that KP one of the few airlines to fly into Niagara Falls (IAG). So lets go with EWR-IAG.

I also am quite certain they did fly nonstop from EWR to Puerto Rico. But you said they didn't fly EWR-SJU. Might they have flown into Aguadilla, EWR-BQN?

70. USAir had already retired their F28s. I can't think of another US airline flying them either. It has got to be a Canadian airline - not sure which one - flying RDU-YYZ and either RDU-YUL or RDU-YOW.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 31, 2015 at 10:43 am
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
60. Only one airline was flying nonstop service from Acapulco (ACA) to Miami (MIA) in 1996. This service was operated once a week and was flown with a wide body aircraft. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

Since you mention the airline was not from North America and continued on to Europe, I'm going to suggest the German carrier LTU. As I recall LTU flew into a variety of Florida destinations though I was unaware of any Mexican extensions, so we'll hope for the best in this regard. As to the aircraft, let's go with the MD11.

65. At this time, Air Wisconsin operating as United Express was flying nonstop service with BAe 146 aircraft from Denver (DEN) to no less than fifteen (15) different destinations. Identify as many of these destinations as you can.

Aspen Correct!
Colorado Springs - Correct!
Durango Correct!
Grand Junction Incorrect
Billings Incorrect
Rapid City Correct!
Moline Correct!
Peoria Correct!
Cedar Rapids Correct!
Springfield, IL Incorrect
Springfield, MO Correct!
Milwaukee Correct!
Lincoln Incorrect
Amarillo Incorrect
Santa Barbara Correct! And I flew on Air Wis/UAEx BAe 146-200 and 146-300 aircraft several times on the SBA-DEN route.

Your question doesn't indicate what time of year we're talking about, but if it's at all during the winter I would add a couple of seasonally served ski areas to the mix. To wit:

Eagle/Vail, CO
Steamboat Springs, CO
Gunnison, CO
Jackson, WY

That's about it for the ski areas. As for another destination, let's go with...

Lubbock, TX

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 31, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
64. I think that KP one of the few airlines to fly into Niagara Falls (IAG). So lets go with EWR-IAG. Correct!

I also am quite certain they did fly nonstop from EWR to Puerto Rico. But you said they didn't fly EWR-SJU. Might they have flown into Aguadilla, EWR-BQN? Correct!

70. USAir had already retired their F28s. I can't think of another US airline flying them either. It has got to be a Canadian airline - not sure which one - flying RDU-YYZ and either RDU-YUL or RDU-YOW.
64. Other routes being flown by Kiwi International Air Lines at this time with their small fleet of B727-200 aircraft included Chicago Midway-Orlando, Orlando-San Juan and Orlando-Aguadilla.

70. The airline was Canadian Regional operating F.28 service as "Canadian Partner" on behalf of Canadian Airlines International (CP) with nonstop service between Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Toronto (YYZ) with three flights a day and also Ottawa (YOW) with one flight a day. As many of you will recall, American was operating a hub at this time at RDU and Canadian Airlines was in an alliance with AA. BTW, Horizon Air was still operating the F.28 at this time on behalf of Alaska Air.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2016 at 11:50 am Reason: QX F.28 ops
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Since you mention the airline was not from North America and continued on to Europe, I'm going to suggest the German carrier LTU. As I recall LTU flew into a variety of Florida destinations though I was unaware of any Mexican extensions, so we'll hope for the best in this regard. As to the aircraft, let's go with the MD11.

Aspen Correct!
Colorado Springs - Correct!
Durango Correct!
Grand Junction Incorrect
Billings Incorrect
Rapid City Correct!
Moline Correct!
Peoria Correct!
Cedar Rapids Correct!
Springfield, IL Incorrect
Springfield, MO Correct!
Milwaukee Correct!
Lincoln Incorrect
Amarillo Incorrect
Santa Barbara Correct! And I flew on Air Wis/UAEx BAe 146-200 and 146-300 aircraft several times on the SBA-DEN route.

Your question doesn't indicate what time of year we're talking about, but if it's at all during the winter I would add a couple of seasonally served ski areas to the mix. To wit:

Eagle/Vail, CO - Incorrect
Steamboat Springs, CO - Incorrect
Gunnison, CO - Incorrect
Jackson, WY - Correct!

That's about it for the ski areas. As for another destination, let's go with...

Lubbock, TX - Incorrect
60. LTU International is correct! LT 413 operated once a week every Monday on a routing of Acapulco (ACA) - Miami (MIA) - Dusseldorf (DUS). However, the aircraft was not an MD-11: it was a long range L-1011 series 500.

65. Sounds like this would be an excellent time for a hint! The timeline for this Air Wisconsin/United Express service was late spring/early summer of 1999. Only four more destinations to go.....

And this engenders several more bonus questions.....

72. What type of turboprop equipment was Air Wisconsin operating at this same time between Denver and Cody, WY (COD) on both of its daily round trip United Express flights? ANSWERED

73. What was the other United Express air carrier at Denver in the late spring/early summer of 1999? Also identify the only aircraft type they operated at this time. ANSWERED

74. Besides the BAe 146, what other jet aircraft type was being operated by Air Wisconsin in United Express service from Denver at this time? ANSWERED

75. What was unique about the Air Wisconsin BAe 146 fleet? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2016 at 2:25 pm Reason: bonus quiz questions & "answered" updates
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

47-B: We are still looking for the identity of the fourth air carrier here. Prior hints include the fact the airline in question was flying a code share service for a major airline on the SAT-IAH route and that the turboprop type was quite a bit larger than a Twin Otter. And here's another hint: the jet type was a twin engine aircraft (but not a regional jet) as was the turboprop (which was originally conceived as an aircraft designed to provide expanded passenger capacity in terms of additional seats for local service air carriers).

Last call for this quiz item! I shall provide the answer next year.......
47-B. Emerald Air operating Douglas DC9-10 and Fairchild Hiller FH-227 equipment, and flying as Pan Am Express via a code sharing agreement. Besides the San Antonio-Houston route, other Pan Am Express service operated by Emerald Air in Texas in 1983 included flights between Houston IAH and Austin, Corpus Christi and McAllen.

And here's one more bonus quiz item....

76. At this same time in 1983, another U.S. based air carrier was operating Pan Am Express service with its flights feeding Pan Am at New York JFK to and from five (5) different domestic destinations. Identify this airline, the equipment it was operating on its Pan Am Express flights and the five destinations it served at the time via a code sharing agreement with PA.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm Reason: additional info & bonus quiz item
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:29 pm

73. What was the other United Express air carrier at Denver in the late spring/early summer of 1999? Also identify the only aircraft type they operated at this time.

74. Besides the BAe 146, what other jet aircraft type was being operated by Air Wisconsin in United Express service from Denver at this time?
73. Great Lakes Aviation, Beech 1900. (One of which I flew aboard.)

74. CRJs. (Several of which I flew aboard.)
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
73. Great Lakes Aviation, Beech 1900. (One of which I flew aboard.)

74. CRJs. (Several of which I flew aboard.)
73 & 74. Correct on both!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

54. In 1985, Arrow Air was operating a hub in San Juan (SJU) with nonstop service to seven (7) destinations. Name them all and also identify the equipment that Arrow Air was flying at this time.

56. In 1987, two different air carriers were operating Air Canada Connector service in eastern Canada on behalf on AC via code share agreements. Between them, six different turboprop powered aircraft types were operated as well as one piston powered type. Name both airlines and identify all seven aircraft.

58. In 1994, this new start up air carrier was operating nonstop service from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to three destinations including Long Beach (LGB), Newark (EWR) and St. Petersburg (PIE). Identify the airline and the equipment it flew.
Time to provide some answers, I think, on a cold, gray Sunday morning in south Louisiana....

54. The seven destinations served nonstop by Arrow Air from San Juan (SJU) were:

* Baltimore (BWI)
* Miami (MIA)
* Montreal (YUL)
* New York (JFK)
* Philadelphia (PHL)
* Orlando (MCO)
* Toronto (YYZ)

In addition, Boston (BOS) was served on a one stop basis via BWI. Arrow Air was operating B727-200, stretched Super DC-8 and DC-10 equipment on their scheduled services at this time.

56. The two regional air carriers operating Air Canada Connector code share services in eastern Canada were Air Ontario and Austin Airways.

Air Ontario operated the following equipment:

* Convair 580 - 55 seats
* de Havilland Canada DHC-8 Dash 8 - 37 seats

Austin Airways operated these aircraft:

* Beech 99 - 14 seats
* Cessna 402 - 7 seats
* de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter - 19 seats
* de Havilland Canada DHC-8 Dash 8 - 37 seats
* Hawker Siddeley 748 - 40/43 seats

58. SunJet International operating MD-81 equipment. I believe they later operated DC9-50 aircraft as well. In addition to the routes from DFW, SunJet was also flying nonstop between EWR and FLL, MCO and PIE at this time. They were not in operation very long.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 6, 2016 at 10:03 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
75. What was unique about the Air Wisconsin BAe 146 fleet?
ZW operated the BAe146-300 (I believe they were the only North American carrier to do so) ... I flew on one of those jets DAY-ORD (August of 1993)

76. At this same time in 1983, another U.S. based air carrier was operating Pan Am Express service with its flights feeding Pan Am at New York JFK to and from five (5) different domestic destinations. Identify this airline, the equipment it was operating on its Pan Am Express flights and the five destinations it served at the time via a code sharing agreement with PA.
I think this was Ransome Aviation, operation STOL-capable four-turboprop DeHaviland Canada DHC-7s ... destinations probably DCA, BWI, PHL, BOS, RIC

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 3, 2016 at 1:51 pm Reason: add date for ZW flight
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
75. ZW operated the BAe146-300 (I believe they were the only North American carrier to do so) ... I flew on one of those jets DAY-ORD

76. I think this was Ransome Aviation, operation STOL-capable four-turboprop DeHaviland Canada DHC-7s ... destinations probably DCA, BWI, PHL, BOS, RIC
75. Yes indeed, Air Wisconsin was the only U.S. operator of the BAe 146-300. And what we were looking for here was the fact that Air Wis operated all three BAe 146 models including the series 100 and 200 in addition to the stretched 300. I believe the BAe 146-100 aircraft came from Aspen Airways as Seat 2A knows all too well (tight, six abreast seating). So we shall call your answer correct! And BTW, ZW was also the only U.S. operator of the British Aerospace ATP.

76. No Pan Am Express Dash 7 operations at this time and the air carrier was not Ransome. It was another airline in early 1983 flying a different aircraft type. And its Pan Am Express destinations did not include DCA, BWI, PHL, BOS or RIC. So please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 3, 2016 at 11:34 am Reason: clarification concerning #76
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA
75. What was unique about the Air Wisconsin BAe 146 fleet?
75. And what we were looking for here was the fact that Air Wis operated all three BAe 146 models including the series 100 and 200 in addition to the stretched 300.
This is where our friend jlemon despairs of WHBM being on the thread. These three are even in my logbook, all on LCY-DUB. The -300 could be weight-limited out of LCY on hot summer afternoons (yes we do occasionally have them and yes I've got a story about that ... )

CityJet BAe146-100
http://www.airliners.net/photo/CityJ...c26f481ffbaead

Cityjet BAe146-200
http://www.airliners.net/photo/CityJ...c26f481ffbaead

CityJet BAe146-300
https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...ospace-146-300

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.