Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Dec 24, 15, 1:42 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

47. In 1983, five airlines were operating nonstop service from San Antonio (SAT) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH). Three of these air carriers were major airlines operating mainline jet equipment. The fourth air carrier was operating both jet and turboprop aircraft on the route and was actually flying on behalf of another airline. And the fifth air carrier was operating a small turboprop from SAT to IAH with only one flight a week.

I will break this quiz items into three parts:

47-A. Name all three major air carriers and the respective mainline jet equipment they operated from SAT to IAH. ANSWERED

47-B. Identify the fourth airline and the jet and turboprop aircraft it was flying on the route. And for bonus points, name the air carrier that the airline in question was operating service for
. Hint: the airline in question was operating code share service between SAT and IAH for a major air carrier.

47-C. Name the fifth airline (which was a commuter air carrier) and the aircraft type. Hint: the aircraft type had excellent short field performance. In fact, the air carrier in question routinely operated this aircraft from a 2,500 foot runway in Texas. ANSWERED
And here's another couple of unanswered quiz items......

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 28, 15 at 9:03 am Reason: put a word in and took another one out
Old Dec 24, 15, 1:57 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat

52. In 1983, only one airline was flying nonstop from Taipei (TPE) to Guam (GUM). This service was operated once a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it flew on the route. ANSWERED

54. Also in 1985, Arrow Air was operating a hub in San Juan (SJU) with nonstop service to seven (7) destinations. Name them all and also identify the equipment that Arrow Air was flying at this time. Hint: five of the destinations were in the U.S. and two were in Canada.

56. In 1987, two different air carriers were operating Air Canada Connector service in eastern Canada on behalf on AC via code share agreements. Between them, six different turboprop powered aircraft types were operated as well as one piston powered type. Name both airlines and identify all seven aircraft. Hint: seating in the aircraft types ranged from 7 passenger seats to 55 passenger seats.

57. This small airline was operating one daily flight from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Boston (BOS) in 1990. The flight number for this service was 001 and its departure from JFK was timed to provide connecting service for a unique flight operated by another air carrier. Identify the airline that was operating flight 001 from JFK to BOS as well as the equipment it was flying. And for bonus points, name the air carrier that provided connecting traffic to flight 001 as well as the aircraft type flown by this major airline. ANSWERED

58. In 1994, this new start up air carrier was operating nonstop service from Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) to three destinations including Long Beach (LGB), Newark (EWR) and St. Petersburg (PIE). Identify the airline and the equipment it flew. Hint: aircraft was a twin engine mainline jet type.

60. Only one airline was flying nonstop service from Acapulco (ACA) to Miami (MIA) in 1996. This service was operated once a week and was flown with a wide body aircraft. Identify the air carrier and the equipment. Hint: aircraft type was not a DC-10 and the airline in question was not based in the western hemisphere.
Plus, these quiz items remain on the loose and looking for answers as well....

And it's now Christmas Eve, folks! Merry Christmas and Safe Travels to All!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 27, 15 at 12:31 pm Reason: additional hints & answer updates
Old Dec 26, 15, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA
Yes, Little Miss WHBM :) , there is a Santa Claus

December 24 in the house was a bit chaotic. Final shopping included a visit here in London to the large Canary Wharf mall nearby. Little Miss WHBM, just aged three, was with us, because one thing consistently missed in past days there was a visit to our good friend Santa, who had a very nice little house right in the middle of the shopping mall. But oh my, what a queue. It actually took over 2 hours to get in, by which time the children were inevitably more than a little fractious. We had taken turns to go from the queue to shops etc, during one of which I bought a nice bedtime picture book
Santa is Coming to London which really can only be read on one night a year. It has typical illustrations, the sleigh coming over snow-covered rooftops under a starry sky.

So late evening Papa begins to read this out, quietly, in the bedroom, of course slightly embellishing the story line. Mrs WHBM starts to roll eyes ! Santa will be coming under the stars, and we are to look out at the end of the story and see if there are any (of course a preliminary squint behind the curtains has taken place). This gets the interest, so at the last page we get lifted up to the south-facing window to look out. There it is, by chance, decidedly prominent, quite low down in the SSE sky (maybe Mercury or Venus). “Can you see the star ?” is asked. “Yes” is whispered. Mrs WHBM has gone rather quiet.

And then, by the most amazing coincidence, right at that moment another bright light suddenly appears in the far distant sky, slowly moving pretty much towards us. “Can you see something moving in the sky as well ?”. “Yes”, even quieter. It starts moving in the distance towards the right, and is followed without blinking. Mrs WHBM has quietly joined us at the window. Papa just notices a hint of some anti-collision flashing strobes as well … and now for bed.

(Thank you that crew of Alitalia AZ210, last flight of the day from Rome descending into Heathrow, for switching those landing lights on in plenty of time. And to an A321 designer in Toulouse for designing such powerful landing lights that can be seen from 15nm away.)

Happy Christmas all.
Old Dec 26, 15, 9:24 pm

52. In 1983, only one airline was flying nonstop from Taipei (TPE) to Guam (GUM). This service was operated once a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it flew on the route. Hint: this airline was not a U.S. or Taiwanese based air carrier. In fact, it was the same airline as the one we are looking for in quiz item #43. However, the equipment it flew between TPE and GUM was not a B737-200. It was another jet type.

57. This small airline was operating one daily flight from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Boston (BOS) in 1990. The flight number for this service was 001 and its departure from JFK was timed to provide connecting service for a unique flight operated by another air carrier. Identify the airline that was operating flight 001 from JFK to BOS as well as the equipment it was flying. And for bonus points, name the air carrier that provided connecting traffic to flight 001 as well as the aircraft type flown by this major airline. Hint: the equipment flown by the small airline in question was a small jet.
52. How about Air Nauru with a 727 combi?

57. A small jet in 1990... A Cessna CitationJet? Was it Enterprise Airlines? They did some partnering with Delta at CVG. But, I bet they were connecting to someone other than Delta at JFK. Just a hunch, one of the European carriers.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 26, 15 at 9:38 pm
Old Dec 27, 15, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
December 24 in the house was a bit chaotic.....

And then, by the most amazing coincidence, right at that moment another bright light suddenly appears in the far distant sky, slowly moving pretty much towards us. “Can you see something moving in the sky as well ?”. “Yes”, even quieter. It starts moving in the distance towards the right, and is followed without blinking. Mrs WHBM has quietly joined us at the window. Papa just notices a hint of some anti-collision flashing strobes as well … and now for bed.
That is a wonderful and touching story, WHBM, and I hope you and the family had a lovely Christmas!

Ah yes.....lights in the sky: I was on final approach on foot to the trailhead and my old Porsche 944 in Kings Canyon National Park following a long day hike up in the Sierra Nevada high country some years ago. The sun had just set and I only had a mile or so to go. Suddenly, a very bright light could be seen high in the sky to the west apparently moving up the canyon toward me. "What on earth is that?!", I wondered as it slowly faded out. The next day, it was reported the U.S. Navy had test fired a ballistic missile from a submarine just off the coast of Monterey.....or so they said.

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday thus far!
Old Dec 27, 15, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
52. How about Air Nauru with a 727 combi?

57. A small jet in 1990... A Cessna CitationJet? Was it Enterprise Airlines? They did some partnering with Delta at CVG. But, I bet they were connecting to someone other than Delta at JFK. Just a hunch, one of the European carriers.
52. Air Nauru is correct! And you've answered quiz item #43 as well. However, I'm not sure if the B727-100 flown on their weekly Taipei-Guam service was a combi (the OAG simply lists the equipment as a "727"). They may well have as I think they did indeed operate a 727-100C at one point. In addition to Boeing equipment, other aircraft in the Air Nauru fleet previously included a Fokker F.28-1000 and even a leased Dassault Falcon 20 which was flown in scheduled pax service.

43. And as for this quiz item, Air Nauru was operating a B737-200 once a week on the Majuro (MAJ)-Honolulu (HNL) route in competition with Continental Micronesia which was flying a B727-100 combi on the route at the time.

57. Enterprise Airlines (BE) operating a Cessna Citation (CNJ) business jet is correct! Here's the sched.....

BE 001: New York (JFK) 10:15a - 11:15a Boston (BOS)
Op: Daily
Equip: CNJ

Now then.....what was the identity of that European airline and aircraft type with regard to the "unique" service that Enterprise was offering this connecting flight for?

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 27, 15 at 11:51 am
Old Dec 27, 15, 11:33 am

57. Enterprise Airlines (BE) operating a Cessna Citation (CNJ) business jet is correct! Here's the sched.....

BE 001: New York (JFK) 10:15a - 11:15a Boston (BOS)
Op: Daily
Equip: CNJ

Now then.....what was the identity of that European airline and aircraft type with regard to the "unique" service that Enterprise was offering this connecting flight for?
Was this a connection from the BA Concorde ? I recall some business jet connections from alongside, and a 1015 departure from a JFK European arrival wouldn't really be possible from anything else. I seem to recall at one time the morning Concorde (always less popular than the evening one) used to leave LHR at 1030 to arrive at JFK about 0930.
Old Dec 27, 15, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Was this a connection from the BA Concorde ? I recall some business jet connections from alongside, and a 1015 departure from a JFK European arrival wouldn't really be possible from anything else. I seem to recall at one time the morning Concorde (always less popular than the evening one) used to leave LHR at 1030 to arrive at JFK about 0930.
57. Indeed it was. The June 3, 1990 Enterprise Airlines timetable contained this message:

ENTERPRISE...THE CONCORDE CONNECTION

LONDON, ENGLAND

GATES WE DEPART FROM: New York, NY (JFK).......Area 5 - Upper Level - British Airways/Enterprise Airlines Ticket Counter

A sidebar in their timetable then listed connecting Enterprise flights operated with the Citation for BA's JFK Concorde service not only to and from Boston but also to and from Hartford (BDL) as well plus connecting service from Columbus (CMH) but not to Columbus.

And this engenders a bonus question, of course....

61. In 1997, this U.S. based airline listed connecting service via Boston in its timetable to and from two of its destinations located in the central portion of the U.S. to and from transatlantic flights operated by a European based air carrier with service to its primary European destination. This was the only connecting service to and from another air carrier listed in this U.S. based airline's timetable. Identify both airlines and the equipment they operated on their respective services and also name both U.S. destinations as well as the European destination.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 27, 15 at 12:35 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 27, 15, 6:15 pm

52. Air Nauru is correct! And you've answered quiz item #43 as well. However, I'm not sure if the B727-100 flown on their weekly Taipei-Guam service was a combi (the OAG simply lists the equipment as a "727"). They may well have as I think they did indeed operate a 727-100C at one point. In addition to Boeing equipment, other aircraft in the Air Nauru fleet previously included a Fokker F.28-1000 and even a leased Dassault Falcon 20 which was flown in scheduled pax service.
Air Nauru in the 1970s-80s had the two 727QC's which originally belonged to Ansett and had been converted nightly to freighters running each way between the main Australian cities. They had a third 727, originally with Northeast, which was not cargo door fitted - this later passed to an African operator, had an interior fire, and was ferried to just down the road from me here, at Southend airport, where it sat on the ramp behind the big maintenance organisation there for many years, and you would expect it to be scrapped, but just a couple of years ago it was finally fixed up, at no mean cost, and sent back to Africa. I used to taxy past it, looking weather-stained and forlorn, when taking G-WHBM out for a little flight into there.

Air Nauru was a bizarre operator from a tiny mid-Pacific island country which came into rather too much money (from phosphate mines) and launched all manner of extraordinary and hardly-used (in some cases, apparently, not used at all) flights across the ocean there through other tiny island states. Behind the scenes it was operated as a contract operation by Ansett of Australia, with seconded management and flight crews. The only worthwhile operation was to Australia (the mines were also Australian managed), and if they had stuck with their original operation just to Brisbane using a business jet that would probably have suited fine most of their potential business. Eventually the phosphates ran out, and the national wealth with it.
Old Dec 27, 15, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
And here's another couple of unanswered quiz items......

47-C. Name the fifth airline (which was a commuter air carrier) and the aircraft type. Hint: the aircraft type had excellent short field performance. In fact, the air carrier in question routinely operated this aircraft from a 2,500 foot runway in Texas.
I'd have to guess we are talking about a De Haviland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter ... I know Rio Airways and Metro Airlines were big Twin Ot users, but I'm not certain that they were in as large a market as SAT-IAH (although the 1x/week frequency in the first appearance of this question would seem to suggest Metro, since they basically hubbed at IAH while XO was more of a Dallas-centered operation)
Old Dec 27, 15, 7:01 pm

Ah yes.....lights in the sky:
If anyone has an astronomical App that can identify just what was the bright star/planet in the low sky SSE from London (at 51N, 0 E/W), at 2300 GMT on 24 December, I would be grateful to know.
Old Dec 28, 15, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I'm in Seattle (~N47.5) where it's currently 2345 PST ... my "Night Sky" iPhone app shows Sirius low to the SSE

this might also help you ... just enter date and time
Old Dec 28, 15, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I'd have to guess we are talking about a De Haviland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter ... I know Rio Airways and Metro Airlines were big Twin Ot users, but I'm not certain that they were in as large a market as SAT-IAH (although the 1x/week frequency in the first appearance of this question would seem to suggest Metro, since they basically hubbed at IAH while XO was more of a Dallas-centered operation)
47-C. Yes, it was Metro Airlines (HY), formerly known as Houston Metro, which also had a wholly-owned division, Metroflight (FY), which in turn had established a small hub at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) at this time. Together, Metro and Metroflight were serving destinations in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas in 1983.

Now why would Metro fly only one de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter flight a week on Saturdays from San Antonio to Houston Intercontinental where it indeed operated a hub? The answer may lie in a stand alone route that Metro was operating with the Twin Otter at this time between San Antonio and Laredo (LRD) as part of their Eastern Express service with four daily SAT-LRD round trips being flown. Perhaps this Saturday only SAT-IAH service was an aircraft positioning flight to get the Twin Otter back to the Houston area for maintenance. Aircraft could also be swapped out in this fashion, of course. And BTW, the 2,500 foot runway I mentioned above was located at the Clear Lake City (CLC) STOLport near the NASA Johnson Space Center. Metro constructed and owned this private airfield which had a hangar for Twin Otter maintenance and was initially based at CLC.

Now then.....we are still looking for the remaining unidentified air carrier that was operating both jet and turboprop equipment in 1983 from SAT to IAH via a code sharing arrangement with a major airline. And here's another hint: the turboprop type was quite a bit larger than the Twin Otter.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 28, 15 at 9:31 am Reason: Hint
Old Dec 28, 15, 12:29 pm

And speaking of ole San Antone, here's a three part bonus quiz item on a beautiful but very windy and chilly afternoon in south Louisiana...

62. In the summer of 1983, San Antonio (SAT) featured flights operated with 767, DC-8 and DC-10 aircraft. In each case, only one airline was serving SAT with this specific equipment which was flown on only one nonstop route. So with this scenario in mind, answer the following questions:

62-A: What airline was operating 767 service into SAT and on what nonstop route? ANSWERED

62-B: What airline was operating DC-8 service into SAT and on what nonstop route? ANSWERED

62-C: What airline was operating DC-10 service into SAT and on what nonstop route? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 28, 15 at 5:58 pm Reason: "answered" update
Old Dec 28, 15, 1:50 pm

And speaking of ole San Antone, here's a three part bonus quiz item on a beautiful but very windy and chilly afternoon in south Louisiana...

62. In the summer of 1983, San Antonio (SAT) featured flights operated with 767, DC-8 and DC-10 aircraft. In each case, only one airline was serving SAT with this specific equipment which was flown on only one nonstop route. So with this scenario in mind, answer the following questions:

62-A: What airline was operating 767 service into SAT and on what nonstop route?

62-B: What airline was operating DC-8 service into SAT and on what nonstop route?

62-C: What airline was operating DC-10 service into SAT and on what nonstop route?
62A: DL SAT-DFW
62B: DL SAT-ATL
62C: AA SAT-DFW

Both AA & DL had a DFW hub at the time. I can imagine both of them operating DC-10s on SAT-DFW. (Oh, if that was only the case today, I'd be booking a trip!)

For the DC-8, my first instinct was UA, but they didn't have much penetration into Texas.

Search this Thread