Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
36. Ah, please note the wording of this quiz item as we are looking for mainline jet service here and not turboprop equipment.
Well, if not Shorts 360 with the hang a non-regulation jet engine on the bird and see what happens...

Then it must be Braniff flying B727-200 with factory installed jet engines. They also flew ALB-JFK at the same time if memory serves.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1981 ...
37. Five U.S. based airlines were flying nonstop service with wide body equipment from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Miami (MIA) at this time. Two of these air carriers operated two different wide body aircraft types on the route while the other three operated just one wide body type on their services. Identify all five airlines and the respective aircraft they flew on the route.
a couple of these are pretty easy:
> TWA, L-1011
> Eastern, L-1011 and A300

I was initially going to say National still operated JFK<-->MIA, but I think they were extinct by this time ... so how about their corporate successor?
> Pan Am, 747 and 747SP

so now it's time for wild guesses:
> Braniff, 747 (I'm pretty sure of their DC-8-62s on this route, so it may have appeared as a one-day-a-week upgauge)
> Delta, L-1011
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Well, if not Shorts 360 with the hang a non-regulation jet engine on the bird and see what happens...

Then it must be Braniff flying B727-200 with factory installed jet engines. They also flew ALB-JFK at the same time if memory serves.
Finally home from yet another whirlwind business trip.......

36. Correct! Braniff International was operating four 72S departures a day from Albany to New York LGA. And as one might expect, all of these flights then headed to DFW with some continuing on to such destinations as AUS and IAH. BN's service to ALB did not last very long.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
a couple of these are pretty easy:
> TWA, L-1011
> Eastern, L-1011 and A300

I was initially going to say National still operated JFK<-->MIA, but I think they were extinct by this time ... so how about their corporate successor?
> Pan Am, 747 and 747SP

so now it's time for wild guesses:
> Braniff, 747 (I'm pretty sure of their DC-8-62s on this route, so it may have appeared as a one-day-a-week upgauge)
> Delta, L-1011
37. Here we go with regard to nonstop widebody service from JFK to MIA in 1981...

TWA - L1011: Correct!

Eastern - A300 & L1011: Correct!

Pan Am - 747 & 747SP: 747 Incorrect, 747SP Correct! And PA was operating one other wide body type on the route.

Braniff - 747: Incorrect.... but you are correct with regard to BN operating the DC8-62 on the route at the time as part of their service to South America.

Delta - L1011: Incorrect

And I will submit a bunch of additional quiz items from the 1980's later this weekend.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
37. Here we go with regard to nonstop widebody service from JFK to MIA in 1981...

TWA - L1011: Correct!
Eastern - A300 & L1011: Correct!
Pan Am - 747 & 747SP: 747 Incorrect, 747SP Correct! And PA was operating one other wide body type on the route.
that would have to be ex-NA DC-10s acquired in the merger

and speaking of DC-10s ... I think upstart Air Florida had a couple that they planned to (or maybe actually did) operate MIA<-->London; might they have done the JFK route also?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that would have to be ex-NA DC-10s acquired in the merger

and speaking of DC-10s ... I think upstart Air Florida had a couple that they planned to (or maybe actually did) operate MIA<-->London; might they have done the JFK route also?
37. Pan Am - DC-10 (and also with a B747SP): Correct!

Air Florida - DC-10: Correct! This was a morning departure from JFK to MIA that operated on the weekdays (X67).

That leaves one more airline. And here's a hint: the air carrier in question only operated this flight once a week and the equipment was a 747.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. Over the years, a number of airlines have operated jet service into Burbank Airport (BUR, now Bob Hope Airport) that now no longer do so. Some air carriers merged with other airlines, other airlines pulled their mainline service from BUR and a number of carriers simply went out of business. One airline that no longer operates mainline jet service into BUR is United (with UA actually operating B767-200 aircraft nonstop BUR-ORD back in the mid 1980's). I've identified at least seventeen (17) other airlines that operated mainline jet equipment plus the BAe 146 into BUR in the past but now no longer do so for whatever reason. Name as many of these air carriers as you can. ANSWERED
Last call for this quiz item! Here are some hints: one airline operated A319 equipment and the other air carrier flew MD-80 aircraft.

Should there be no takers, I'll reveal the identity of these two airlines as the weekend progresses.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 14, 2015 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28. In 1977, this airline was proposing to initiate a new hub operation at Chicago Midway (MDW) with twin jet aircraft flying nonstop service to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. And this was no start up operation: the air carrier in question had been operating scheduled flights for many years and was already serving Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at the time. However, their proposed new Midway hub never got off the ground. Identify the airline and the equipment they proposed to operate from MDW.
And last call for this quiz item as well! Finally ANSWERED

Previous guesses have included Air Wisconsin, Allegheny, Eastern, Ozark, Midway, North Central, Northwest, Piedmont, TWA and United.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 13, 2015 at 5:53 pm Reason: "answered" update
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
37. That leaves one more airline. And here's a hint: the air carrier in question only operated this flight once a week and the equipment was a 747.

Greetings from rainy Seattle. I was recently talking with a fellow employee whose father used to be a captain for Tower Air. When it comes to once weekly 747 operations on the JFK-MIA route, they immediately come to mind. However, I believe Tower Air was a later entry into the US domestic market. United and Northwest were 747 operators back then. Let's go with United.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And speaking of Swift Aire, here's a bonus quiz item from 1981.....

39. Following its acquisition of Swift Aire, Golden Gate Airlines expanded its route system in the western U.S. and was serving no less than 15 different airports in California. New destinations in other western states were served as well.

Name all of the airports served by the combined airline in California and also identify the northernmost and easternmost destinations served in other states by Golden Gate at this time.
Plus, the above quiz item remains unanswered. So I will break this one up into three parts:

39-A. Identify all fifteen (15) California airports served by Golden Gate Airlines in 1981. ANSWERED

39-B. Name the northernmost destination served by Golden Gate in 1981. ANSWERED

39-C. Name the easternmost destination served by Golden Gate in 1981. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 14, 2015 at 9:27 am Reason: Answer updates.....
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37. United - 747: Incorrect

So that leaves......
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And last call for this quiz item as well!
28. In 1977 ... Chicago Midway (MDW) with twin jet aircraft flying nonstop service to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. ... the air carrier in question had been operating scheduled flights for many years and was already serving Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at the time. ... . Identify the airline and the equipment they proposed to operate from MDW.
Previous guesses have included Allegheny, Ozark, Midway, Northwest, Piedmont and United.
with the exception of BUF and possibly DSM, all the proposed destinations were in the networks of three of the other majors (Delta, Eastern, and TWA, all of whom operated the DC-9-30; that said, EA may have served BUF) ... the absence of ATL as a destination seems to rule out the two that hubbed there, so I'm going to posit that this expansionist idea belonged to TWA
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
37. United - 747: Incorrect

So that leaves......

Uh.... Northwest?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with the exception of BUF and possibly DSM, all the proposed destinations were in the networks of three of the other majors (Delta, Eastern, and TWA, all of whom operated the DC-9-30; that said, EA may have served BUF) ... the absence of ATL as a destination seems to rule out the two that hubbed there, so I'm going to posit that this expansionist idea belonged to TWA
28. Yet another excellent guess....however, it was not Trans World Airlines.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37. Get the man a cold microbrew! Such as a Smoked Porter from the Alaskan Brewing Company in beautiful downtown Juneau.....which is what I'm sipping on right now.

Yep, Northwest Orient was operating a weekly 747 service on Saturdays from JFK to MIA as well as a daily nonstop 747 flight from ORD to MIA plus a Saturday only 747 departure from TPA to MIA.

And I'm pleased to report that I managed to finally put up our outdoor Christmas lights earlier this afternoon and also purchased a small Christmas tree today which is actually a living specimen: it's a beautiful little Norfolk pine which I shall plant in our backyard following the holidays. :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.