Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think there's only a small percentage of the UK population who even know when US Thanksgiving is, and as for celebrations, I actually have never heard of any outside the US expat community.
I have been reading reports that merchants are building up "Black Friday" in the UK. But that doesn't require the punters to know what it is linked to!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Pacific Western, on a Convair 640 turboprop, with Rolls Royce engines. There was probably some bureaucratic reason why such a contract flight, of which there were always many around BC, had to be advertised in the timetable; possibly members of the nearby indigenous community who had been displaced by the project were allowed to use it.
I don't suppose I would have been able to get on although they flooded my father's land - he was not indigenous.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Back to the real world of old planes......

Burbank was my local airport around 1979-80, and the only two jet operators then were PSA (727-200s) and Hughes (DC9-30s). That was it. PSA, being still an intrastate carrier, only did California, whereas Hughes didn't, serving places like LAS and PHX instead. I believe Continental had been running 720Bs up the west coast previously.

Having done a couple of trips up to San Francisco from there, and returning on a PSA 727 operating SFO-BUR-SAN, I recall there were often 70-100 passengers for San Diego waiting to board at the BUR gate as we disembarked. It was a frequent PSA service during the day. Where on earth did that market go ?
6. Continental, Hughes Airwest and Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) are all correct, of course.

Continental did indeed operate the B720B into Burbank followed by the B727-200. I remember flying on CO operated 72S equipment nonstop to DEN and SJC.

Hughes Airwest also operated DC9-30 flights nonstop from BUR to SLC with continuing service to DEN. I flew on this routing as well on board an RW D9S.

PSA operated a number of jet types into BUR over the years including the BAe 146, B727-100, B727-200, B737-200, DC9-30 and MD-80. And before the 727 showed up, the airline operated the Electra into the airport. Being born and raised in nearby Pasadena, I flew on PSA many times into and out of Burbank.

So that leaves us with only fourteen (14) more airlines to go!

BTW, there is nonstop service these days between BUR and SAN.....operated by SeaPort with nine (9) pax, single turboprop engine Cessna Caravan aircraft. What indeed happened to that traffic from days of yore?!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
6. Continental, Hughes Airwest and Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) are all correct, of course.

Continental did indeed operate the B720B into Burbank followed by the B727-200. I remember flying on CO operated 72S equipment nonstop to DEN and SJC.

Hughes Airwest also operated DC9-30 flights nonstop from BUR to SLC with continuing service to DEN. I flew on this routing as well on board an RW D9S.

PSA operated a number of jet types into BUR over the years including the BAe 146, B727-100, B727-200, B737-200, DC9-30 and MD-80. And before the 727 showed up, the airline operated the Electra into the airport. Being born and raised in nearby Pasadena, I flew on PSA many times into and out of Burbank.

So that leaves us with only fourteen (14) more airlines to go!

BTW, there is nonstop service these days between BUR and SAN.....operated by SeaPort with nine (9) pax, single turboprop engine Cessna Caravan aircraft. What indeed happened to that traffic from days of yore?!
OK, here are some more:

1. Republic
2. Western
3. AirCal
4. SunWorld - this "deregulation knockout" served BUR in 1986-87
5. America West
6. USAirways - successor to America West, now no longer with us.
7. Delta

I'm also going to throw out three wild guesses: Golden West, in the late 1960s, with one of their short lived Hansa Jets, WestAir in the late 1980s with BAe 146s, and Freedom Air in the early 2000s with Canadair RJ 700 / 900.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I logged a TWA MD-80 (BUR-STL) in 1985 or thereabouts
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
OK, here are some more:

1. Republic
2. Western
3. AirCal
4. SunWorld - this "deregulation knockout" served BUR in 1986-87
5. America West
6. USAirways - successor to America West, now no longer with us.
7. Delta

I'm also going to throw out three wild guesses: Golden West, in the late 1960s, with one of their short lived Hansa Jets, WestAir in the late 1980s with BAe 146s, and Freedom Air in the early 2000s with Canadair RJ 700 / 900.
Republic - Correct! RC followed Hughes Airwest after RW was merged into Republic. Aircraft operated into BUR included the DC9-10, DC9-30 and MD-80.

Western - Correct! In 1985, WA was flying B737-200 equipment from BUR nonstop to RNO and SLC.

AirCal - Correct! AirCal jumped into BUR and competed with PSA. In 1985, AirCal was operating B737-200 and MD-80 aircraft into the airport with nonstops to OAK, SFO and SJC. My very first flight on an MD-80 was with AirCal from BUR to SJC.

Sunworld International Airways - Ah, I was not aware of their service into BUR. However, I shall take your word on this and add them to the list!

America West - Correct! HP primarily flew nonstop to LAS and PHX with the B737-200 followed by B737-300 aircraft.

US Airways - Correct! And they were preceded by USAir which had acquired and merged with PSA. In 1989, USAir was operating BAe 146, B737-300 and MD-80 equipment into BUR with nonstops to LAS, OAK, PHX, SMF, SFO and SJC.

Delta - Correct! Delta picked up nonstop service to SLC that was previously flown by Western. In 1989 and 1991, DL was operating B737-300 aircraft into BUR.

I'm unsure whether Golden West, WestAir (operating as United Express) and Freedom Air ever operated jet equipment into BUR as I cannot find any schedules concerning such service.

So, for the sake of discussion, I'll amend this quiz item to only include those air carriers who operated BAe 146 and larger jet aircraft with an emphasis on mainline equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 24, 2015 at 9:54 am
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I logged a TWA MD-80 (BUR-STL) in 1985 or thereabouts
TWA - Correct!

Plus an update concerning Continental's Burbank service: besides operating the B720B and B727-200 into BUR, CO also flew B727-100, DC9-30 and MD-80 equipment into the airport. For example, in 1985 Continental was operating nonstops to DEN with both the D9S and M80.

And by my reckoning, that leaves us with at least seven (7) more air carriers that operated mainline jet aircraft into Burbank.....plus at least one additional BAe 146 operator.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... at least seven (7) more air carriers that operated mainline jet aircraft into Burbank.....plus at least one additional BAe 146 operator.
Royal West with the 146s?

I'm almost positive AA ran MadDogs BUR<-->DFW (and maybe ORD)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal West with the 146s?

I'm almost positive AA ran MadDogs BUR<-->DFW (and maybe ORD)
Royal West - Correct! And they indeed operated the BAe 146 into BUR with nonstop service to LAS and RNO.

American - Correct! AA operated the MD-80 into Burbank for many years, not only nonstop to DFW and ORD but also to SJC. In addition, short haul tag routes were flown nonstop to ONT, SBA and SNA in southern California. And in 1985, American was flying both the B727-200 and MD-80 into BUR.

That leaves at least six (6) remaining airlines to be identified that served Burbank with mainline jet equipment in the past......

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 24, 2015 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:16 pm

Sunworld International Airways - Ah, I was not aware of their service into BUR. However, I shall take your word on this and add them to the list!
To make sure I was correct, I checked my Dec 1, 1987 Sunworld timetable. This timetable shows Sunworld flew BUR-RNO 2x day, with one flight continuing to GEG and the other going on to BOI. BUR isn't in any of my earlier Sunworld timetables, and I think their Dec 1, 1987 timetable was their last because they shut down in early 1988.

My guess about the other BAe 146 operator into BUR would be Aspen Airways.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To make sure I was correct, I checked my Dec 1, 1987 Sunworld timetable. This timetable shows Sunworld flew BUR-RNO 2x day, with one flight continuing to GEG and the other going on to BOI. BUR isn't in any of my earlier Sunworld timetables, and I think their Dec 1, 1987 timetable was their last because they shut down in early 1988.

Curious to know if the Sunworld timetable listed the equipment operated by the carrier into Burbank.....

And as for Aspen Airways operating BAe 146 service into BUR (possibly as United Express with nonstop flights to Aspen), I can find no evidence of this....and I've been diligently looking. I do believe that AP operated the BAe 146 into LAX and LGB as UA Express.....and I also know the airline operated Convair 580 service nonstop between Lake Tahoe and BUR as an independent carrier.

So the BAe 146 operators previously serving Burbank I have been able to identify are: PSA, USAir (using aircraft formerly operated by PSA) and Royal West. Anyone know of any other BAe 146 operators that served BUR?

BTW, I have found another airline that operated mainline jet equipment into Burbank which means we are now back up to seven (7) carriers that remain to be identified.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Any chance Tristar Airlines might have been a 146 operator into BUR?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Any chance Tristar Airlines might have been a 146 operator into BUR?
Good morning, Seat 2A! And how are things up there in c o l o r f u l Colorado on this fine day? Your weather appears to be seasonably cool at the moment with just a few isolated snow showers over the higher terrain of the western slope.....

I did think about TriStar but can find no evidence they ever operated into BUR with their six abreast, dense seating arrangement BAe 146 aircraft. It appears their operations into southern California were confined to LAX, which is where I boarded one of their flights to LAS. The seating in the all Y cabin was a bit uncomfortable.....
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I have found another airline that operated mainline jet equipment into Burbank which means we are now back up to seven (7) carriers that remain to be identified.
are you counting Shuttle by United as a standalone carrier?

I'm thinking BUR may have seen green-and-white Reno Air MadDogs but wouldn't be surprised if this is a bad guess ...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are you counting Shuttle by United as a standalone carrier?

I'm thinking BUR may have seen green-and-white Reno Air MadDogs but wouldn't be surprised if this is a bad guess ...
Shuttle by United (later United Shuttle) - Correct! Yep, I sure did.....

Reno Air - Correct! They briefly operated nonstop MD-80 service to RNO.

And that leaves us with just five (5) more airlines that operated mainline jet equipment into BUR in the past to be identified.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.