Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Nov 22, 15, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
9. Yep, it's Catalina Airport (AVX) a.k.a. Airport in the Sky. Note the harbor at Avalon was only served by seaplanes at the time as AVX is a bit of a drive on this very hilly island.
hilly indeed ... a couple weeks ago I had a terrific view of Catalina Island from seat 2F on an Alaska Airlines 737-800 as we began our approach to Orange County (SNA)
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:12 am

Programs: BA
Here's a westbound sched from the April 24, 1960 BOAC system timetable....

BA 581: London 23:00 - 05:30 New York 07:30 - 13:25 San Francisco 17:00 - 21:35 Honolulu 23:00 - 04:05 Wake Island 4:50 - 08:15 Tokyo 09:45 - 16:20 Hong Kong
Equip: Britannia
Op: Mondays and Saturdays only

I believe BOAC had replaced the Britannia with a Boeing 707 by the next year which allowed the elimination of the technical stop at Wake Island.
Yes the Brit only lasted a couple of years on the route, which was started when the longer-haul Britannia 300 came along. It's licence to the USA was actually from Hong Kong, which was a major BOAC hub then. There was also a little connecting carrier with just a couple of aircraft, called - Cathay Pacific (needless to say a BOAC subsidiary at the time) !

BOAC crewed these long-line routes by sending a select group of aircrew off to a three month posting at a remote base, of which they had a few scattered around. The worst was apparently Calcutta in India, Hong Kong was an enjoyment, but most coveted was ... Honolulu. Read an account of a BOAC First Officer of the era who got the posting to Honolulu. Flight attendants volunteered for overseas "tours" whereas pilots were just assigned, but the volunteering was just for the concept, not for the actual destination.
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:25 am

And at long last, here's my latest batch of quiz items. All concern scheduled passenger airline operations except where noted.

10. It's 1962 and you are in Oakland. You need to travel to San Diego first thing in the morning and discover there is a flight leaving OAK at 7:00am that arrives SAN at 9:05am. This flight makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the intermediate stop and the aircraft type.

To Be Continued.....With Quiz Items From The 1970's, 1980's And 1990's.....
The airline is pretty clearly Poor Sailor's Airline, and the stop would be in BUR. Two + hours would be a long flight for one of their Jet Powered Electras, so I'll guess the flight used a DC-4.
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:27 am

2. [B][I][COLOR="Blue"]
17. Actually the aircraft was the Boeing 720-047B (720B) but you are close enough, sir!

However, while LAX and PDX are correct with regard to being intermediate stops, this flight did not stop at SFO. So please guess again!
Just to close this question out, the only other stop I can think of between LAX and PDX would be OAK.
Old Nov 23, 15, 7:07 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
The airline is pretty clearly Poor Sailor's Airline, and the stop would be in BUR. Two + hours would be a long flight for one of their Jet Powered Electras, so I'll guess the flight used a DC-4.
10. Well, no....the airline was not PSA, the stop was not Burbank and the aircraft was not a DC-4.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Nov 23, 15, 7:08 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Just to close this question out, the only other stop I can think of between LAX and PDX would be OAK.
17. Ah, the stop was not Oakland.

And I'll mention the weather on this brilliantly clear and cold Monday morning.....we've now experienced our first frost here in south Louisiana and my company car (which has to sit outside in the elements at night) was encased in ice this morning. Looks like it may warm up a bit for Thanksgiving......so Safe Travels to those who have now embarked on trips associated with the upcoming holiday here in the U.S.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 23, 15 at 7:14 am Reason: WX & etc.
Old Nov 23, 15, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
17. ... direct flight from PHX to YVR that makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, the three stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment.
17. I believe Western was the only airline that served both PHX and YVR in 1968. I'll guess the stops were LAX, SFO, and PDX, and the equipment was a 720-047 Fan Jet.
17. Actually the aircraft was the Boeing 720-047B (720B) but you are close enough, sir! ... LAX and PDX are correct ... this flight did not stop at SFO.
I think the missing stop was more likely SAN, between PHX and LAX

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 23, 15 at 7:29 am
Old Nov 23, 15, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. It's 1962 and you are in Oakland. You need to travel to San Diego first thing in the morning and discover there is a flight leaving OAK at 7:00am that arrives SAN at 9:05am. This flight makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline you'll be flying on, the intermediate stop and the aircraft type.
10. ...the airline was not PSA, the stop was not Burbank and the aircraft was not a DC-4.
10 - I have to think this was indeed an Electra ... of the WA persuasion, and operating OAK-SFO-SAN
Old Nov 23, 15, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
14. Also in 1967, only one airline was offering international service from Corpus Christi (CRP) with a nonstop flight operated three days a week. Identify the airline, the international destination and the equipment operated on the route.

This sounds like Trans-Texas Airways territory. Monterey drew a lot of flights from the region, many of which continued on to Mexico City. Don't know if TTA would have (assuming it's even them) but if they did it likely would've been a DC-9 Pamper Jet (Even though the CV-600 could've easily handled this short hop)

It's cold and snowing lightly here in the Alaskan Interior. I love days like this but alas, I'm off to the airport for Thanksgiving in Colorado. After that, I've got a 10000 mile train ride coming up aboard the likes of the California Zephyr, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder. Amidst all this will be BBQ in Kansas City and dinner in Great Falls, Montana. Here's wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving, including WHBM should you be amongst the one in six Britons who also celebrate Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 23, 15 at 10:59 am
Old Nov 23, 15, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I think the missing stop was more likely SAN, between PHX and LAX
17. Yep, San Diego was the first stop. Here's the sched.....

WA 215: PHX 12:15p - 1:09p SAN 1:30p - 2:00p LAX 2:40p - 4:40p PDX 5:05p - 5:52p YVR
Op: Daily
Equip: "720-B JET"
Cabin service: snack in F/Y LAX-PDX with Champagne service, snack in F PDX-YVR with Champagne service

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 23, 15 at 12:00 pm Reason: cabin service
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post

10 - I have to think this was indeed an Electra ... of the WA persuasion, and operating OAK-SFO-SAN
10. Correct! Here's the sched....

WA 403: OAK 7:00a - 7:12a SFO 7:30a - 9:05a SAN
Op: Daily
Equip: "Electra JET Power"
Class of service: all Y cabin
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
14. Also in 1967, only one airline was offering international service from Corpus Christi (CRP) with a nonstop flight operated three days a week. Identify the airline, the international destination and the equipment operated on the route.

This sounds like Trans-Texas Airways territory. Monterrey drew a lot of flights from the region, many of which continued on to Mexico City. Don't know if TTA would have (assuming it's even them) but if they did it likely would've been a DC-9 Pamper Jet (Even though the CV-600 could've easily handled this short hop)

Here's wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving....
14. Nonstop service to Monterrey is correct! And Trans-Texas (TTa) would seem to be a logical choice. Indeed, they and successor Texas International (TI) operated service to Mexico from Corpus Christi in the past. For example, in 1974, TI was operating direct daily DC9 service to Mexico City via an intermediate stop in McAllen. However Trans-Texas (TT) was not operating any nonstop or direct service to Mexico in 1967 from Corpus Christi.

It was another airline flying nonstop to Monterrey......

And Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 23, 15 at 12:30 pm Reason: additional info
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Here's wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving, including WHBM should you be amongst the one in six Britons who also celebrate Thanksgiving.
I thank you for the good wishes, but that article is just unbelievable. I think there's only a small percentage of the UK population who even know when US Thanksgiving is, and as for celebrations, I actually have never heard of any outside the US expat community. Many Brits do have relatives in Canada, and hear about the celebration there - which is on a completely different date. The only thing we notice is that media like the BBC (and the Daily Telegraph newspaper as quoted), trying to compete for a worldwide audience nowadays, run stories which are obviously aimed at those overseas.

Back to the real world of old planes.

6. Over the years, a number of airlines have operated jet service into Burbank Airport (BUR, now Bob Hope Airport) that now no longer do so....I've identified at least seventeen (17) other airlines that operated jet equipment into BUR in the past but now no longer do so for whatever reason. Name as many of these air carriers as you can.
Burbank was my local airport around 1979-80, and the only two jet operators then were PSA (727-200s) and Hughes (DC9-30s). That was it. PSA, being still an intrastate carrier, only did California, whereas Hughes didn't, serving places like LAS and PHX instead. I believe Continental had been running 720Bs up the west coast previously.

Having done a couple of trips up to San Francisco from there, and returning on a PSA 727 operating SFO-BUR-SAN, I recall there were often 70-100 passengers for San Diego waiting to board at the BUR gate as we disembarked. It was a frequent PSA service during the day. Where on earth did that market go ?

Bob Hope ? He was from London, his original house in suburban Eltham is still there, and if London City is on runway 09 their inbounds pass right over at 3,000 feet before making the U-turn to the right onto the runway. But I don't think the airport has considered taking his name. We sometimes go, being members, to theatre shows at the Eltham Bob Hope Theatre, intermittent little amateur productions which he contributed funds and indeed some performances to.

http://bht1.switchnet.services/

18. ...Hudson's Hope, B.C., So what airline and aircraft type will you be flying on?
Pacific Western, on a Convair 640 turboprop, with Rolls Royce engines. There was probably some bureaucratic reason why such a contract flight, of which there were always many around BC, had to be advertised in the timetable; possibly members of the nearby indigenous community who had been displaced by the project were allowed to use it.

we've now experienced our first frost here in south Louisiana and my company car (which has to sit outside in the elements at night) was encased in ice this morning.
Curiously, in inner London we had exactly the same early this morning, car iced over for the first time this year. Fortunately my car has electrically heated windows, all the Merc/BMW guys at the office had to resort to ice scrapers, and waiting and waiting for everything to defrost

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 23, 15 at 1:08 pm
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post

Pacific Western, on a Convair 640 turboprop, with Rolls Royce engines. There was probably some bureaucratic reason why such a contract flight, of which there were always many around BC, had to be advertised in the timetable; possibly members of the nearby indigenous community who had been displaced by the project were allowed to use it.

Curiously, in inner London we had exactly the same early this morning, car iced over for the first time this year. Fortunately my car has electrically heated windows, all the Merc/BMW guys at the office had to resort to ice scrapers, and waiting and waiting for everything to defrost
18. Correct! Here are the scheds from a Pacific Western system timetable from 1968.....

PW 325: Vancouver 10:15 - 12:30 Hudson's Hope
Op: Mon., Weds. and Fri. only
Equip: "Javelin Jet-prop" (Convair 640)

PW 326: Hudson's Hope 13:05 - 15:20 Vancouver
Op: Mon., Weds. and Fri. only
Equip: "Javelin Jet-prop" (Convair 640)

There was also this note below the scheds.....

"Service restricted to companies and their personnel designated by the B.C. Hydro and Power Authority for Travel between Vancouver and Hudson's Hope."

And with regard to the considerable amount of ice on my company vehicle this morning, I cheated by going against all common sense and pouring hot water on the windshield and front side windows (I was running a bit late)......
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:58 pm

As always, please limit your answers to two or, at most, three items at a time so all may participate.

Many Thanks!

General Quiz Items.....

3. This all cargo airline made the following statement in a print ad: "FOR RENT: UNFURN. ROOM, 10,642 CUBIC FT., IMMED. OCCUPANCY. So why ship your freight with a passenger airline? Cargo is beneath them." Name this air cargo air carrier and identify the aircraft type keeping in mind the volume in cubic feet stated above.

6. Over the years, a number of airlines have operated jet service into Burbank Airport (BUR, now Bob Hope Airport) that now no longer do so. Some air carriers merged with other airlines, other airlines pulled their mainline service from BUR and a number of carriers simply went out of business. One airline that no longer operates mainline jet service into BUR is United (with UA actually operating B767-200 aircraft nonstop BUR-ORD back in the mid 1980's). I've identified at least seventeen (17) other airlines that operated jet equipment into BUR in the past but now no longer do so for whatever reason. Name as many of these air carriers as you can. And please note we are primarily looking for BAe 146 and larger aircraft here with an emphasis on mainline equipment. Partially answered

Quiz Items from the 1940's and 1960's.....

7. In 1948, Continental was operating a daily flight with Douglas DC-3 equipment from Denver to San Antonio. This flight made no less than ten (10) intermediate stops en route. Identify them all in the order in which they were made.

11. In 1963, this U.S. air carrier billed itself as being "THE NATION'S MOST PROGRESSIVE AIRLINE". Name this air carrier.

14. In 1967, only one airline was offering international service from Corpus Christi (CRP) with a nonstop flight operated three days a week. Identify the airline, the international destination and the equipment operated on the route. ANSWERED

15. And speaking of international service in 1967 from the U.S., only one air carrier was flying nonstop from Miami (MIA) to Cozumel (CZM) at this time. Name the airline and the aircraft.

19. In 1969, Western Airlines was serving nine (9) destinations in Alaska. Name them all.

To Be Continued.....With Quiz Items From The 1970's, 1980's And 1990's.....
Here are the remaining quiz items from my first installment. And, as promised, we shall move into the 1970's with additional quiz items as the week progresses....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 26, 15 at 8:38 am Reason: additional info & answer updates

Search this Thread
Search Engine: