Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:38 pm

5. Avianca

18. Khalifa Airways (K6 from Algeria)
Plus some non-airline 747 operators: Boeing, Ernest Angley Ministries, Rolls-Royce.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
15. What was the first airline to operate a 747 on a US domestic flight? What route was it?
Originally Posted by jrl767
let's go with National, MIA<-->JFK, late 1970
National was first with domestic jet service when it commenced IDL-MIA flights with a leased Pan Am 707. However, a different airline commenced 747 flights within the US...
ok, how's about Eastern, same route
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:17 am

TWA, on LAX-JFK on 25 Feb 1970.

AA added 747 service on the same route on 2 Mar 1970, using 747s leased from Pan Am.

Pan Am also offered to lease 747s to United to enable UA to start 747 service early, but UA chose to wait until July 1970, when the first of their own aircraft was delivered.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: BA
Eastern followed on, like National, after the transcons got 747s into service for summer 1970. Eastern never had much luck with the 747. They ordered four in early days but transferred the order to TWA before they were built. Then they realised their mistake and leased two from Pan Am for the winter 1970 high season to be competitive on JFK-MIA with what National had just taken delivery of. These only lasted through one winter season. Much later on, when Qantas were disposing of their earliest 747s, they took two from these because at the time they thought they were going to get the Miami to London licence, which they didn't, although the 747s had been all painted up in Eastern colours. I believe they were sold on again without ever being used.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. What the first US airline to order and operate a British built airliner?

I'll guess this was Capitol Airlines with the Vickers Viscount.

Correct! The first flight was between Washington DC and Chicago. Sadly, I never got to fly aboard a Viscount...

And, despite themselves, the Saints managed to win 27-21 against the Colts. I'd say that's an excellent reason to enjoy a spicy Cajun Bloody Mary on a wet and stormy Sunday afternoon in south Louisiana.

When isn't there a good reason to enjoy one of your spicy Cajun Bloody Mary's? I see the Saints will be home to Eli Manning and the Giants this weekend - tough one to pick. Later in the day might be the best game of the weekend as the undefeated Denver Broncos take on the undefeated Green Bay Packers.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
3. What was the first non-British airline to buy the VC10?

Ghana Airways (well, strictly they were actually paid for by the UK Government and given to Ghana as foreign aid)

Dang! How on earth did you ever figure that one out, WHBM? Spot on!

8. What was the first airline to operate trans-Atlantic services between England and New York from a city other than London? Identify the airline and the English city flown from.

Sabena routing from Brussels through Manchester.

Correct! Sabena commenced service on this route in 1953.

23. In 1968, if you were enjoying “Royal Canadian” service to Vancouver, which airline would you be flying upon?

CP Air

CP Air would certainly seem the likely choice as they offered "Royal Canadian Class" but when it comes to branded "Royal Canadian Service" the source I referenced (an airline ad) indicates it was a different airline. Care to have another go at it?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
5. What is the oldest, continuously operating airline in the Americas?

Avianca

Si Señor! Originally operating as SCADTA with a Junkers F 13, the airline has been operating since 1919.

18. Can you name an airline named after its founder that also operated 747s?

Khalifa Airways

Good call!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:13 am

Bonus question, worded slightly differently :

8A.
What was the first airline to operate trans-Atlantic services between England and New York from a place other than London? Identify the airline and the English place flown from.
Sabena routing from Brussels through Manchester.

Correct! Sabena commenced service on this route in 1953
It's a different answer to the above. Go for the aircraft type as well.

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 27, 2015 at 11:24 am
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Eastern followed on, like National, after the transcons got 747s into service for summer 1970. Eastern never had much luck with the 747. They ordered four in early days but transferred the order to TWA before they were built. Then they realised their mistake and leased two from Pan Am for the winter 1970 high season to be competitive on JFK-MIA with what National had just taken delivery of. These only lasted through one winter season. Much later on, when Qantas were disposing of their earliest 747s, they took two from these because at the time they thought they were going to get the Miami to London licence, which they didn't, although the 747s had been all painted up in Eastern colours. I believe they were sold on again without ever being used.
The December 1, 1970 Eastern system timetable features an artist's rendition of a B747-100 on the front cover. Unfortunately, that's the only portion of this timetable I have access to as I believe Eastern was also operating the 747 nonstop between Miami and Chicago O'Hare during the 1970 winter season.....however, I cannot find this schedule so this remains speculation on my part based on my aging memory.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
22. In a 1969 ad, this U.S. airline claimed “In Economy Class we give you:

• Steak broiled right on the plane instead of airline steak pre-cooked on the ground
• Travel slippers to slip your tired feet into
• A soft furry lap robe to stay cozy under, instead of a rough blanket
• A big fluffy pillow to rest your head on instead of the usual mini-airline pillow
• And a special compartment built right into our aircraft for ladies to hang their furs and store their wig boxes

Name the airline!

This sounds like Northeast Airlines concerning their coach service on board their Boeing 727 "Yellowbird" aircraft.

That's right. I should imagine today's U.S. domestic "First Class" flyers would be quite envious of the service offered in coach 40 years ago. I've got coach menus from that era in my collection that look much more impressive than even today's transcon Business Class - or First.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15. What was the first airline to operate a 747 on a US domestic flight? What route was it?

Per jrl767: (Since it's not National) Okay - how about Eastern - same route?

PerJoeDTW: TWA, on LAX-JFK on 25 Feb 1970.

AA added 747 service on the same route on 2 Mar 1970, using 747s leased from Pan Am.

Pan Am also offered to lease 747s to United to enable UA to start 747 service early, but UA chose to wait until July 1970, when the first of their own aircraft was delivered.

Right on, Joe! (And nice try, J!) I don't believe National inaugurated 747 service until later in the year - October, I believe on the MIA-JFK route. And I think Continental may have inaugurated service with their 747 before United... Anybody know for sure?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You'll find the remaining unanswered questions right HERE
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

21. If you wanted to fly out of New York JFK aboard this airline’s “Sunjet” in January of 1970, it could have been one of two different types of aircraft. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types.
Wild guess time.....

"Sunjet" was the name BWIA used to describe their B727-100 aircraft. I believe that around this time "Bee-Wee" was transitioning their jet fleet from the 727 to the 707 (and I seem to recall these 707 aircraft came from Braniff International).

So perhaps there was a transition phase during which BWIA operated both the 707 and 727, and both were referred to as "Sunjets" in 1970.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:42 pm

I don't believe National inaugurated 747 service until later in the year - October, I believe on the MIA-JFK route. And I think Continental may have inaugurated service with their 747 before United... Anybody know for sure?
I can only offer first delivery dates for those who got the aircraft by the end of 1970, but as each carrier probably took pretty much the same time to get the type into service, it's a good guide.

PA 12-Dec-69
TW 31-Dec-69
AA 28-Mar-70 leased from Pan Am
NW 30-Apr-70
CO 18-May-70
AA 18-Jun-70 own aircraft
UA 30-Jun-70
NA 08-Sep-70
DL 26-Sep-70
EA 26-Nov-70 leased from Pan Am

As the overseas carriers came out in the same database lookup, and as all (except JAL probably) ran their first 747 service to JFK, here are theirs as well.

LH 10-Mar-70
AF 20-Mar-70
JL 22-Apr-70
BA 22-Apr-70
AZ 13-May-70
IB 02-Oct-70
SN 19-Nov-70
EI 15-Dec-70
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:30 pm

Ghana Airways
Dang! How on earth did you ever figure that one out, WHBM? Spot on!
Well, there aren't a lot of purchasers of the VC-10 to choose from !

Ghana Airways, and the country's government, were friends with everyone in the early 1960s. They got a couple of Bristol Britannias, new, followed by an extraordinary eight Ilyushin 18s, along with Antonov 12 freighters, which hardly got used apart from a weekly flight to Moscow, and all were returned to the Soviet Union two years later. From the US a pair of Rolls Royce-powered 707-463 were ordered, but then cancelled when the deposits were not forthcoming. Then a Convair 990 was obtained from Swissair, and then the order for three VC-10s, only two of which were actually delivered, and one of these was sold to MEA after a year. The sole remaining VC-10, however, then spent many years holding down the route to London on several days a week, and was a regular sight at Heathrow into the early 1980s, when it was finally replaced by a DC-10. I think it may have had the longest service into Heathrow of any of the VC-10s, few of which lasted in airline service more than 15 years.

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 27, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.