Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Oct 22, 15, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Quick bonus question on this one. Can you name an airline named after it's founder's daughter that also operated 747s ?
Alia Royal Jordanian
Old Oct 22, 15, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
15. What was the first airline to operate a 747 on a US domestic flight? What route was it?
let's go with National, MIA<-->JFK, late 1970

17. What was the first airline to challenge the Eastern Air Shuttle with inexpensive hourly flights connecting New York’s LaGuardia airport with Boston and Washington-Reagan National?
I'm recalling New York Air, circa 1981, running bright red DC-9-30s with a white outline "Big Apple" logo on the vertical tail

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 22, 15 at 4:07 pm
Old Oct 22, 15, 6:29 pm

Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat

1. This North American airline was a popular clothier's failed attempt at a discount airline. It was pitched at the outset by a well known comedian but ultimately flew for only three months. Identify the airline and - if you're up to it - the comedian who pitched the airline.

4. It’s the spring of 2003 and you’re taxiing out to the runway at Orlando International Airport when you look out your window and spy an MD80 wearing the old National Airlines “Sun King” logo on its tail. Which airline would have been operating this MD80?
And once again I survive Houston, Texas without getting killed or caught....it's definitely good to be back home following my "whirlwind" business trip to the Big H!

1. I finally realized what airline this might be: Roots Air. I think this new Canadian start up operated a couple of A320s and may have also used a B727-200 provided via wet lease by Kelowna Flightcraft. In addition, an A330 may have been planned to join their very small fleet as well, but I believe it was not placed in service by the time all flights ops were suspended.

And as for their comedian spokesperson, I have no bloody clue! Rodney Dangerfield?

4. Sounds like Southeast Airlines. I think they operated MD-81 and MD-82 aircraft and may have even flown an MD-88.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 22, 15 at 7:08 pm Reason: additional info
Old Oct 22, 15, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA
Quick bonus question on this one. Can you name an airline named after it's founder's daughter that also operated 747s ?

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
Alia Royal Jordanian
Quite so. ^
Old Oct 23, 15, 2:45 pm

Good Morning All!

9. In 1953, this airline commenced the first non-stop eastbound scheduled transcontinental service in the US between Los Angeles and New York. Identify the airline and the aircraft.

10. What was the first African airline to offer commercial service to China?

16. What was the first airline in England to operate the 727? What was unique about this airline’s 727-100?
My guesses are:

9: TWA began eastbound flights using 1049Gs a few weeks before AA's DC-7s began flying nonstop in both directions.

10. Ethiopian Airlines

16. Dan Air London. I think they may have jammed so many passengers into their aircraft that they needed to add an extra emergency exit. When one of their 727-100s hit a mountain on Tenerife in 1980, the death toll was 146 - I think this was the highest loss of life on a -100.
Old Oct 23, 15, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
15. What was the first airline to operate a 747 on a US domestic flight? What route was it?

Let's go with National, MIA<-->JFK, late 1970

National was first with domestic jet service when it commenced IDL-MIA flights with a leased Pan Am 707. However, a different airline commenced 747 flights within the US...

17. What was the first airline to challenge the Eastern Air Shuttle with inexpensive hourly flights connecting New York’s LaGuardia airport with Boston and Washington-Reagan National?

I'm recalling New York Air, circa 1981, running bright red DC-9-30s with a white outline "Big Apple" logo on the vertical tail

Excellent recall, Sir! New York Air was also well regarded for the bagels it served inflight.
Old Oct 23, 15, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
[b]1. This North American airline was a popular clothier's failed attempt at a discount airline. It was pitched at the outset by a well known comedian but ultimately flew for only three months. Identify the airline and - if you're up to it - the comedian who pitched the airline.

I finally realized what airline this might be: Roots Air. I think this new Canadian start up operated a couple of A320s and may have also used a B727-200 provided via wet lease by Kelowna Flightcraft. In addition, an A330 may have been planned to join their very small fleet as well, but I believe it was not placed in service by the time all flights ops were suspended.

Roots Air it was! I have postcards of each of those three aircraft. The comedian that promoted Roots Air also promoted the Bass-A-Matic Fish Blender...

4. It’s the spring of 2003 and you’re taxiing out to the runway at Orlando International Airport when you look out your window and spy an MD80 wearing the old National Airlines “Sun King” logo on its tail. Which airline would have been operating this MD80?

Sounds like Southeast Airlines. I think they operated MD-81 and MD-82 aircraft and may have even flown an MD-88.

It was indeed Southeast. The airline operated MD-80s and DC-9-30s until it ceased operations in 2004.
Old Oct 23, 15, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW View Post
[b]9. In 1953, this airline commenced the first non-stop eastbound scheduled transcontinental service in the US between Los Angeles and New York. Identify the airline and the aircraft.

TWA began eastbound flights using 1049Gs a few weeks before AA's DC-7s began flying nonstop in both directions.

TWA commenced eastbound transcons with the Connie in 1953. You can read more about it right HERE

10. What was the first African airline to offer commercial service to China?

Ethiopian Airlines

That's right. Ethiopian Airlines launched its first flight to China in 1973.

16. What was the first airline in England to operate the 727? What was unique about this airline’s 727-100?

Dan Air London. I think they may have jammed so many passengers into their aircraft that they needed to add an extra emergency exit. When one of their 727-100s hit a mountain on Tenerife in 1980, the death toll was 146 - I think this was the highest loss of life on a -100.

Spot on, Joe! The extra emergency exit was back behind the wing near the engine nacelles - a la the 727-200.
Old Oct 23, 15, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

You'll find the remaining unanswered questions right HERE

You'll find a live view of Fairbanks Golden Heart Plaza right HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 23, 15 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 23, 15, 6:55 pm

On the day of the Dan Air crash, there were two other aircraft enroute from England to Tenerife: a Britannia 737 and a British Airtours 707. These two aircraft had a near miss in the clouds over Tenerife that day. It would have been another grim footnote in Tenerife's horrific history if all three aircraft enroute from England to Tenerife had crashed on the same day.
Old Oct 25, 15, 12:52 pm

We read today that Maureen O'Hara has passed away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34628502

Apart from being a Hollywood actress from long ago, she was married to Charles Blair, former Pan Am captain, flying boat enthusiast, and founder of Antilles Air Boats. He bought both Short Sandringham and Sikorsky VS-44 big old flying boats, and the two of them flew the Sandringham around the world and did experience flights where they visited, with Maureen acting as the flight attendant. I believe she did as many autographs as he did, and may have been the last flight attendant ever on the old big boats. Charles lost his life some years ago in a Grumman Goose accident, while Maureen came back to her homeland Ireland and opened the flying boat museum at Foynes, near Shannon, well worth a visit, which we discussed some time ago.

The two of them brought a Sandringham across the Atlantic more than once I believe in the 1970s, and flew little flights from Southampton, the old base for Imperial and then BOAC flying boat flights to Africas and Asia. One of the Antilles Sandringhams is now in Kermit Weeks' museum in Florida, the other is kept in the small museum at Southampton, from where it looks out on its old landing ground in the estuary, from long ago and far away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_O%27Hara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_F._Blair,_Jr.

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 25, 15 at 12:57 pm
Old Oct 25, 15, 1:54 pm

Programs: Still lowly AA Gold for a bit, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Announcement at gate D-35 this morning at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.....

"Ladies and gentlemen, good morning once again. We'd like to invite our group 1 passengers to board Delta Connection 5597 to Lafayette at this time. And if you happen to be a Saints fan, please know you are not welcome on board at all."

He then followed that statement up by announcing that group 2 passengers were now welcome to board; however, he also said LSU football fans were not welcome on board the flight, either.

We boarded anyway.

Meantime, the Saints are currently leading the Indianapolis Colts 20-0 at the half with plenty of mistakes in evidence thus far on the part of both teams.

And BTW, the Mark Knopfler (and company) concert last night at the outdoor Chastain Park amphitheater in Atlanta was absolutely superb!

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 25, 15 at 3:00 pm Reason: Full ATL name
Old Oct 25, 15, 4:03 pm

11. What the first US airline to order and operate a British built airliner?
11. I'll guess this was Capitol Airlines with the Vickers Viscount. Of course, Capitol's Viscounts were repainted in United's livery back in the early 60's. In 1965, I actually saw a United operated Viscount at the old Huntsville Airport in northern Alabama.

And, despite themselves, the Saints managed to win 27-21 against the Colts. I'd say that's an excellent reason to enjoy a spicy Cajun Bloody Mary on a wet and stormy Sunday afternoon in south Louisiana.

Speaking of the WX, when we departed LFT this past Friday morning bound for ATL, Lafayette was officially experiencing drought conditions according to the NWS. It's been raining since then.....and I just measured over four inches of precip in my rain gauge a few minutes ago with apparently quite a bit more rainfall on the way courtesy of the remnants of Hurricane Patricia which slammed the Pacific coast of Mexico near Manzanillo a few days as the strongest hurricane ever recorded at sea.
Old Oct 26, 15, 6:41 am

3. What was the first non-British airline to buy the VC10?
Ghana Airways (well, strictly they were actually paid for by the UK Government and given to Ghana as foreign aid)

8. What was the first airline to operate trans-Atlantic services between England and New York from a city other than London? Identify the airline and the English city flown from.
Sabena routing from Brussels through Manchester.

23. In 1968, if you were enjoying “Royal Canadian” service to Vancouver, which airline would you be flying upon?
CP Air
Old Oct 26, 15, 4:47 pm

22. In a 1969 ad, this U.S. airline claimed “In Economy Class we give you:

• Steak broiled right on the plane instead of airline steak pre-cooked on the ground
• Travel slippers to slip your tired feet into
• A soft furry lap robe to stay cozy under, instead of a rough blanket
• A big fluffy pillow to rest your head on instead of the usual mini-airline pillow
• And a special compartment built right into our aircraft for ladies to hang their furs and store their wig boxes

Name the airline!
22. This sounds like Northeast Airlines concerning their coach service on board their Boeing 727 "Yellowbird" aircraft.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: