Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Sep 23, 15, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
3. Ah, that was a wild guess as I was not aware that Texas International ever served ACA, although they did serve a number of other Mexican destinations prior to being merged into Continental.....

And I'm pretty darn sure Mexicana never served IAH although they did serve SAT for many years as well as providing service in later years into DFW.

So perhaps this was actually CO operating a former TI DC9 or D9S that had not yet been reconfigured with an F cabin.....although that's probably wrong, too!

Remember, we're looking for a US airline operating an all Y class configured 727-200. Hmm... whichever airline could it be...?
Old Sep 23, 15, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Braniff and Eastern Shuttle for a period of time.
Old Sep 24, 15, 12:18 am

This is a great thread with some fantastic info - and also a wonderful trip down memory lane!
Old Sep 24, 15, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer;25469655[b
3.Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.[/b]

Braniff and Eastern Shuttle for a period of time.

Alright! Care to choose one of those or go with a different airline?
BTW - welcome to the thread, seriazine! Thanks for the kind words and feel free to participate any time you choose...
Old Sep 25, 15, 2:44 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
3. Please permit me to respond here, gentlemen....

I am just about 100% sure this was not Braniff International operating an all-coach configured B727-200 as I cannot recall the original BN ever operating single class jet equipment. Their initial BAC One-Eleven aircraft even had a first class section in addition to coach as some of you may recall I flew in F on board the airplane with Braniff. BN did operate nonstop IAH-ACA service at one point with F/Y configured B727-200 aircraft.

So perhaps this was actually Eastern as I do believe they may have operated IAH-ACA nonstop for a brief time back in the early 1980's. And perhaps this was back when EA was operating A300 aircraft on weekday LGA-BOS Air-Shuttle flights thus freeing up an all-coach configured B727-200 which had been previously flown on LGA-BOS Air-Shuttle service and would appear again after the A300 was apparently found to be a bit too large for the route. If so, buckeyefanflyer may well be correct with this EA flight actually being operated on a LGA-IAH-ACA round trip routing.
Old Sep 26, 15, 12:17 am

Programs: BA
We're back ... and this time we're saved what seemed to become more of a Trip Report than an OTAQD discussion.

On departure from Palma back to London, got a longer, though still remote, tail-on view of the old Convair 990. Those "speed blisters" that had to be added to the wings in a modification are notably large and prominent. They must have added considerably to the drag. But even more interesting had been inside the main terminal, where in the middle of the upper level walkway there is a splendid display under glass of large, old travel agency window-type aircraft models in every long-departed Spanish airline livery you can think of, all appropriately labelled with details, year of introduction, etc - an Aviaco DC8, a Hispania Caravelle, etc. They are not restored and obviously date from when these types were current. Then, as we walked on down pier A, were further extensive displays from around the world - there's a Western 720B in the old Indian Head livery, a Braniff 727 (green), and many more - aircraft which never got within a continent of Spain. Whoever on the Palma airport staff assembled and labelled this lot would be very welcome here on this thread. Buenos dias Señor.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 26, 15 at 12:33 am
Old Sep 26, 15, 7:15 am
Original Poster

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

I am just about 100% sure this was not Braniff International operating an all-coach configured B727-200 as I cannot recall the original BN ever operating single class jet equipment. Their initial BAC One-Eleven aircraft even had a first class section in addition to coach as some of you may recall I flew in F on board the airplane with Braniff. BN did operate nonstop IAH-ACA service at one point with F/Y configured B727-200 aircraft.

I am shocked, jlemon! Truly shocked! Your memory fails you on this one as this flight was indeed operated by Braniff. I'd photograph the schedule but it's in snowy Fairbanks and I'm in steamy Stamford, CT. Suffice to say I do recall there was nothing special about the flight, i.e. notices that it operated only over a period of say - 2-3 days.

I do recall flying Braniff in October 1981 DEN-DFW-LGA-DFW-DEN on which the DEN-DFW-DEN segments were (I seem to recall...) operated by all-economy class 727-200s.

Old Sep 26, 15, 9:18 am

I'm surprised too that it's Braniff, because their own timetables of the era gave no indication of whether flights were coach only; you are just left to assume they all are two class. Here's a page from their April 1982 schedule, for example

http://www.departedflights.com/BN042582p6.html

Now the OAG was always precise about class of service for every flight, so their data would be different. By the way, you don't think that the OAG could have had a typo, do you ? I've come across several over time.

Remember, we're looking for a US airline operating an all Y class configured 727-200. Hmm... whichever airline could it be...?
I was very tempted to reply PSA to this one
Old Sep 26, 15, 11:12 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
I'm surprised too that it's Braniff, because their own timetables of the era gave no indication of whether flights were coach only; you are just left to assume they all are two class. Here's a page from their April 1982 schedule, for example

Now the OAG was always precise about class of service for every flight, so their data would be different. By the way, you don't think that the OAG could have had a typo, do you ? I've come across several over time.

I was very tempted to reply PSA to this one
Well, my goodness..... I continue to learn something new every day!

The timetable excerpt graciously provided by WHBM (welcome home, BTW!) does make reference to BN flights offering either World Class and Texas Class or only Texas Class service with the latter most likely being an all coach type of service, I believe....but I could be wrong about this as well! The cover of this particular timetable makes the following statement: "TEXAS CLASS. A Class Above Coach." So perhaps Texas Class service was a hybrid coach product. This was also near the end of original Braniff International which ceased operations later in 1982. It appears to me that the airline was trying new ways of engendering business in an attempt to survive following deregulation. BN sure embarked upon a dramatic route expansion from 1978 on which I think contributed to their demise.

And the postman has just delivered our tickets to an upcoming concert in Atlanta which we are very much looking forward to at the end of October. We'll fly on Delta Connection LFT-ATL in order to attend this show (which will be staged at an outdoor amphitheater) using just about the last of our DL SkyMiles. The performer? Mark Knopfler, who is one of my favorites.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 26, 15 at 4:19 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 26, 15, 11:52 am

And so, I promised an OTAAQ question or two. Having been accused of recent ones being too easy  … we’ll have some more “interesting” ones

[1] Palma is the only commercial airport currently here on the island. But right here at Alcudia was once upon a time a notable stopping point for an international service run with 4-engined aircraft. Which airline, and which countries did the route connect ?

[2]. It’s, say, 1970, 45 years ago, and our forebears are making the same trip from London to Palma. What airliners, from which airlines, might they have to choose from ? A real keen type might give which London area airport each operated from.
1. Well, I haven't a clue concerning the airline and the route....but I am willing to bet a flying boat was involved.

2. Hmmmm....perhaps BEA and Iberia operating in cooperation nonstop between Palma and London Heathrow. BEA might have been operating a Comet or Vanguard (and perhaps both types on the route) while Iberia may have been flying a Caravelle on their service.
Old Sep 26, 15, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, the pocket flight guide from which I've referenced these questions is the April 1982 edition. Additionally, I came across quite a few other BN flights showing all Y class on the 72S. Could be quite a large typo... As ever, I am always willing to provide photographic or transcribed evidence upon request.
Old Sep 27, 15, 8:18 am

Well, my goodness..... I continue to learn something new every day!
Me too.

The timetable excerpt ... does make reference to BN flights offering either World Class and Texas Class or only Texas Class service with the latter most likely being an all coach type of service
I never noticed that at the foot of each page, because I'm so used to USA printed schedules of the era using lightface for am times and boldface for pm times (an approach never used elsewhere) that when there was the note about the different fonts I just mentally airbrushed the rest out. I actually find it difficult to differentiate the fonts used there, but it looks like the majority of US domestic flights for BN were one class only, apart from those where they used their DC8s on domestic runs.

Well spotted S2A !
Old Sep 27, 15, 11:10 am

I never noticed that at the foot of each page, because I'm so used to USA printed schedules of the era using lightface for am times and boldface for pm times (an approach never used elsewhere) that when there was the note about the different fonts I just mentally airbrushed the rest out. I actually find it difficult to differentiate the fonts used there, but it looks like the majority of US domestic flights for BN were one class only, apart from those where they used their DC8s on domestic runs.

Well spotted S2A !
And, of course, their Boeing 747 nonstops between DFW and HNL which offered World Class and Texas Class (essentially F/Y, I believe) service.....
Old Sep 27, 15, 11:59 am

From Wikipedia :

John Casey expanded Braniff's capacity during the summer of 1981. An unforeseen strike by the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PATCO) caused delays and a decrease in traffic that created large losses for Braniff. Casey then implemented the Braniff Strikes Back Campaign in the fall of 1981, streamlining the carrier's air fare structure into a simplified two-tier fare system. As part of this campaign, some Boeing 727s were divided into Braniff Premier Service (traditional First Class service) and Coach Class. The remainder of the 727s were all-Coach Class with reduced fares. The campaign was not successful, pushing Braniff's bread-and-butter business travelers over to traditional airlines with First Class on all flights.

Howard Putnam becomes president

In the fall of 1981 Braniff Chairman John Casey was told by the Braniff Board that a new President needed to be found to try and curb Braniff's mounting losses. Casey met with Southwest Airlines President Howard A. Putnam and offered him the Braniff executive position. Putnam accepted the offer, but he required that his own financial manager from Southwest Airlines, Phillip Guthrie, be allowed to follow him to Braniff.

Howard Putnam implemented a one-fare-structure plan called the Texas Class Campaign. Texas Class created a one-fare, one-service airline domestically and removed First Class from all Braniff aircraft. Only flights to South America and London, and to Hawaii, would offer full First Class services. In the program's first month in operation, December 1981, Braniff's revenues dropped from slightly over 100 million USD per month to 80 million USD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branif...tional_Airways
Old Sep 27, 15, 12:56 pm

Ah, I thought I detected a "Southwest-like" influence there at the original Braniff at the end....

And our wayward New Orleans Saints are actually holding their own at the moment against the Carolina Panthers with QB Drew Brees on the sidelines for the first time in his NFL career following an injury last week. Geaux Saints!

P.S. - However, our excitement was premature as the Aints....er, excuse me....the Saints ended up losing to the Panthers 22-27 and have yet to win a game thus far this season. Bummer......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 27, 15 at 2:54 pm Reason: Saints lose again

Search this Thread
Search Engine: