Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

10. While enroute to Colorado Springs, a quick perusal of a recently acquired OAG reveals that four Wyoming cities are served by either nonstop or direct jet flights from Denver. Identify the four cities and – if you feel up to it – the airlines that serve them.
10. Historically, Western Airlines had operated Boeing 737-200 jet service from Denver into at least three destinations in Wyoming: Casper, Cheyenne and Sheridan (and one fine day Buffalo, WY but that was a case of mistaken identity).

But not in 1982.....

So that brings us to good ole Frontier Airlines which I believe in 1982 was in the process of retiring that stalwart old girl in their fleet, the venerable Convair 580, and attempting to serve smaller communities in the intermountain west from Denver with the Boeing 737-200 instead (which must have been a wonderful development in these out of the way locations...."Look, Dad, a real jet!"). So with this in mind.....

* Casper (CPR)
* Jackson Hole (JAC)
* Riverton (RIW)
* Rock Springs (RKS)

In addition, Continental may have been operating DC9 service into Casper from DEN at this same time.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
10. While enroute to Colorado Springs, a quick perusal of a recently acquired OAG reveals that four Wyoming cities are served by either nonstop or direct jet flights from Denver. Identify the four cities and – if you feel up to it – the airlines that serve them..

Historically, Western Airlines had operated Boeing 737-200 jet service from Denver into at least three destinations in Wyoming: Casper, Cheyenne and Sheridan (and one fine day Buffalo, WY but that was a case of mistaken identity).

But not in 1982.....

So that brings us to good ole Frontier Airlines which I believe in 1982 was in the process of retiring that stalwart old girl in their fleet, the venerable Convair 580, and attempting to serve smaller communities in the intermountain west from Denver with the Boeing 737-200 instead (which must have been a wonderful development in these out of the way locations...."Look, Dad, a real jet!"). So with this in mind.....

* Casper (CPR)
* Jackson Hole (JAC)
* Riverton (RIW)
* Rock Springs (RKS)

In addition, Continental may have been operating DC9 service into Casper from DEN at this same time.

Well done, Dr. Lemon! And, FWIW, Continental served Casper with two daily 727-200s from Denver.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And now here are the remaining unanswered questions...

All questions are sourced from a 1982 Pocket Flight Guide

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

4. A sailing charter out of Acapulco goes awry and – after eight daze at sea – we wash ashore at Puerto Vallarta. Following a quick shower, a variety of tequila based cocktails and a hot meal – not necessarily in that order – we head out to the airport for our flight up to Los Angeles. Two airlines offer a single nonstop flight – one of them Mexican and the other American. We opt for the US carrier which offers a 4X weekly flight up to Los Angeles. Identify the airline and – if you like – the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector.

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline. I N ..P L A Y QX F27 & WC 727 correct. Still looking for the other airline and aircraft

16. For reasons not germane to this quiz, we’ve decided to take a ride aboard Amtrak’s Sunset Limited between Palm Springs and Tucson, Arizona. Upon arrival in Tucson, we’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast burrito at Garcia’s across from the train station before relocating to the airport for this afternoon’s flight up to San Francisco. Two airlines offer nonstop service between TUS and SFO, but only one of the offers First Class service. You choose to buy a ticket in First Class aboard that flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying. Then, if you feel up to it, you could have a gander at what the other airline is and what type of aircraft it operates on the TUS-SFO route.

17. After having recovered sufficiently from three straight nights spent jamming with the world’s most talented and eclectic (though hardly its most popular) rock band, it’s high time to head across country to the Big Apple aboard the one and only all economy class configured flight operating between SFO and JFK. Please identify the airline as well as the aircraft utilized for this service. A N S W E R E D

19. Making your way to Merida by bus, you both travel by train between Merida and Mexico City before deciding to return to the US via the relatively less hectic entry point of McAllen, Texas. The MEX-MFE market is served by three daily nonstops operated by this airline. So uh, which airline is it? A N S W E R E D

20. Once you’ve cleared customs at McAllen, you return to the small gate area to board this airline’s nonstop jet service to Houston’s Hobby Airport. Identify the airline and the jet upon which you’ll be flying. A N S W E R E D

21. There’s this little café in the Albuquerque Sunport that makes the most awesome gazpacho! Let’s go get some! Now Southwest and Texas International offer a multitude of direct flights between HOU/IAH and ABQ, but only one airline offers nonstop service with a single afternoon departure. Identify the airline and the equipment used on this route. A N S W E R E D

22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 16, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... 1982
21 ... a multitude of direct flights between HOU/IAH and ABQ, but only one airline offers nonstop service with a single afternoon departure. Identify the airline and the equipment used on this route.
I have to vote for a golden-tail Continental DC-9-30 out of IAH

22. ... no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.
AA, TW, and UA are of course the obvious suspects, so off the grid we go ... how about Eastern via DFW and ATL with a 727-100
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

19. Making your way to Merida by bus, you both travel by train between Merida and Mexico City before deciding to return to the US via the relatively less hectic entry point of McAllen, Texas. The MEX-MFE market is served by three daily nonstops operated by this airline. So uh, which airline is it?

20. Once you’ve cleared customs at McAllen, you return to the small gate area to board this airline’s nonstop jet service to Houston’s Hobby Airport. Identify the airline and the jet upon which you’ll be flying.
Well, I've thought about these two long enough now....so here we go:

19. 1982 was a year of transition for Texas International which historically had served McAllen for many years, first as Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) and then as TI. During that year, the Houston-based air carrier was in the process of being merged into Continental. So that's the airline we'll go with: CO operating DC9 (and possibly D9S equipment) on the MEX-MFE route with these flights probably continuing on to IAH as well.

20. The only air carrier I can think of that may have been flying MFE-IAH in 1982 was Emerald Air with the DC9 as I do not believe Muse Air began service on the route with the DC-9-50 until the mid 1980s.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
21. There are a multitude of direct flights between HOU/IAH and ABQ, but only one airline offers nonstop service with a single afternoon departure. Identify the airline and the equipment used on this route.

I have to vote for a golden-tail Continental DC-9-30 out of IAH

If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed the same thing, J. But no - in this instance it was a different airline operating a different jet. Please guess again!

22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.

AA, TW, and UA are of course the obvious suspects, so off the grid we go ... how about Eastern via DFW and ATL with a 727-100

TWA in particular stands out for me. I could easily see an ABQ-MCI-STL-BDL routing but then I'd be wrong. Alas, it was not AA or UA either - both of them equally viable suspects. Hmm... whatever then could it be?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I've thought about these two long enough now....so here we go:

19. Making your way to Merida by bus, you both travel by train between Merida and Mexico City before deciding to return to the US via the relatively less hectic entry point of McAllen, Texas. The MEX-MFE market is served by three daily nonstops operated by this airline. So uh, which airline is it?

1982 was a year of transition for Texas International which historically had served McAllen for many years, first as Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) and then as TI. During that year, the Houston-based air carrier was in the process of being merged into Continental. So that's the airline we'll go with: CO operating DC9 (and possibly D9S equipment) on the MEX-MFE route with these flights probably continuing on to IAH as well.

Texas being your old stomping grounds, I was pretty sure you'd know these two questions right off. Now I never did mention in which month the Pocket Flight Guide that I'm working from was issued, but you are of course correct about the TI/CO transition - just a couple of months early. Still - you've got the airline involved (The schedules still read TI) as well as the aircraft (DC-9 and DC-9-30s) so I'll say Correct!

20. Once you’ve cleared customs at McAllen, you return to the small gate area to board this airline’s nonstop jet service to Houston’s Hobby Airport. Identify the airline and the jet upon which you’ll be flying.

The only air carrier I can think of that may have been flying MFE-IAH in 1982 was Emerald Air with the DC9 as I do not believe Muse Air began service on the route with the DC-9-50 until the mid 1980s.

Two airlines I wish I'd gotten a chance to fly upon, especially Emerald Air and its DC-9-14s; which by the way is the correct choice!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At one point, this airline was operating nonstop L-1011 service into LAX from two locations in the Caribbean. One flight operated once a week and the other flight operated twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the two airports in the Caribbean.
Time to provide an answer to this one.....

jrl767 had correctly guessed one of the Caribbean airports: Montego Bay (MBJ).

The other airport was Kingston (KIN) and the airline was Air Jamaica.

Here are the westbound scheds from a 1989 OAG......

JM 055: MBJ 10:15a - 1:00p LAX
Op: Mondays & Sundays only
Equip: L-1011

JM 055: KIN 11:40a - 2:30p LAX
Op: Saturdays only

It appears Air Jamaica did not operate the L-1011 TriStar very long. I also wonder if this aircraft was on short term lease, perhaps from BWIA with flight crews? Pure conjecture on my part, of course, but if so, it would have been a series 500 aircraft.

BTW, about ten years later, I was en route to LAX one fine Friday evening on board a UA operated airplane and was listening to ATC on channel 9 when I heard a very melodious female voice with a beautiful island accent calling center. It was a lady pilot flying for Air Jamaica. Here's the westbound sched from a 1999 OAG.....

JM 055: MBJ 5:20p - 9:20p LAX
Op: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Equip: A320

Of course, I then immediately ordered a rum drink in the front cabin.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:59 am
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21. There’s this little café in the Albuquerque Sunport that makes the most awesome gazpacho! Let’s go get some! Now Southwest and Texas International offer a multitude of direct flights between HOU/IAH and ABQ, but only one airline offers nonstop service with a single afternoon departure. Identify the airline and the equipment used on this route.
Ah yes, shining New Mexico does indeed have some excellent cuisine....and I am reminded of Eske's Brew Pub in Taos with its excellent microbrews (including stout, porter and IPA) and terrific green chile burritos. It seems like we were there just yesterday for lunch followed by a hike up near Wheeler Peak which at 13,161 feet is the highest mountain in the state.....

However, I wander from my theme.

21. Perhaps "The Only Way To Fly" (nonstop, that is) from Albuquerque (ABQ) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time was on board a Boeing 727-200 operated by Western Airlines.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
17. After having recovered sufficiently from three straight nights spent jamming with the world’s most talented and eclectic (though hardly its most popular) rock band, it’s high time to head across country to the Big Apple aboard the one and only all economy class configured flight operating between SFO and JFK. Please identify the airline as well as the aircraft utilized for this service.
would this perhaps have been Capitol with a DC-10?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22- well, let's go even farther off the grid into wild-guess land for ABQ-BDL: how's about a Delta 72S, taking the long way via DFW and Ft Lauderdale (FLL)
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: BA
The other airport was Kingston (KIN) and the airline was Air Jamaica.

Here are the westbound scheds from a 1989 OAG......

JM 055: MBJ 10:15a - 1:00p LAX
Op: Mondays & Sundays only

JM 055: KIN 11:40a - 2:30p LAX
Op: Saturdays only

It appears Air Jamaica did not operate the L-1011 TriStar very long. I also wonder if this aircraft was on short term lease, perhaps from BWIA with flight crews? Pure conjecture on my part, of course, but if so, it would have been a series 500 aircraft.
I don't believe Air Jamaica had any Tristar on strength; they ordered them in 1968 but never took delivery. In the late 1980s they had a number of A300s, which would have been appropriate for such flights. They had given up their transatlantic services to London by then, until some years later when they bought a few of the Delta A310s and started these up again. Likely the Tristars were indeed leased.

Meanwhile ... the WHBM menagerie now heads southwards in a nice Embraer 190, for some sunshine R&R in a place which, 40 years ago, would have resounded to One-Elevens, Comets, 707s, and a big locally-based fleet of Convair 990s. But alas, not any more ...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

Meanwhile ... the WHBM menagerie now heads southwards in a nice Embraer 190, for some sunshine R&R in a place which, 40 years ago, would have resounded to One-Elevens, Comets, 707s, and a big locally-based fleet of Convair 990s. But alas, not any more ...
Hope you and the family have a lovely and safe trip, WHBM!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA
If we land on 24R, as we're sat on the left I'll see if I can get a photo

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5583.../data=!3m1!1e3

any guesses what it is ? And whose ?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Convair 990, last operated by Spantax ... your mention of sunshine and 990s within E190 range of London, made this a no-brainer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.