Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Interesting old car. I know someone with three of them (not a mad collector, but a commercial operation, they hire them out to weddings etc). Did it have a Bentley body (steel frame), or was it by one of the more common independent British bodybuilders with a wood (ash) frame on a Bentley chassis ? And was it painted two shades of grey, like many were ? I see the good old Burman (a Birmingham manufacturer) steering was showing its temperament as usual - worn recirculating teeth. Also unusual to have a Bentley in North America, most there have always gone for the Rolls-Royce brand - it's the same car from the same plant, just the badges are different. This one's equivalent would be a Rolls Silver Wraith. In traditional Britain, if you had a chauffeur you chose a Rolls, if you were going to drive it yourself most went for the Bentley badge. Final aviation connection, by the 1950s the cars were being built in a factory at Crewe, not far from MAN, where most of the engines for Spitfires and others had been built a few years previously.
Ah, well, I'm unsure with regard to the actual frame of the car. That was quite awhile ago and the finer details have been obscured by the murky recesses of time.....but yes, I do seem to recall it was painted in two shades of grey. This Bentley also had one large third headlight located in the middle of the grill which I promptly named "the third eye". On our way back to Austin, we spent several days in Toronto (known then as "T.O.") and received a number of admiring looks while driving around the city (the car, not yours truly).

And speaking of older vehicles, I witnessed a take off yesterday morning from New Orleans Airport by what is now becoming an increasingly rare old bird: the DC-10-10. I was up on the second floor of the outdoor observation deck at the Atlantic Aviation FBO which is located on the north side of the airfield (and has an expansive view of MSY) across the runway from the pax terminal when I noted the DC-10 begin to taxi from the FedEx ramp. "Oh, I've got to watch this departure", I thought and so I did.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
30. Aside from airports in the Hawaiian Islands, Honolulu enjoys nonstop jet service from 8 other islands around the Pacific. Identify these islands. ALMOST THERE - Only one island destination left...
Seeing no one else jumping in with the answer, I'll take another guess.

Possibilities seem to be:

A larger island-airport, e.g. Taipai (or other airport on Taiwan), Hong Kong, or Auckland.
Several minor island airports, including ROR, PNI, KSA, & HIR.
A second airport in either the Philippines or Japan.

I don't think it would be any of those. Therefore, my guess is Port Moresby, but it really is a stab in the dark.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Seeing no one else jumping in with the answer, I'll take another guess.

Possibilities seem to be:

A larger island-airport, e.g. Taipai (or other airport on Taiwan), Hong Kong, or Auckland.

I don't think it would be any of those. Therefore, my guess is Port Moresby, but it really is a stab in the dark.
30. Hmmmm....I cannot recall any airline flying nonstop between Port Moresby and Honolulu. Plus, I wonder if there would have been enough traffic on the route to justify service. And the old airport at Kai Tak serving Hong Kong was actually located on the mainland (I flew into Kai Tak one fine evening on board an L-1011-500 operated by Delta).

However, I can think of another destination which you indeed mentioned: Auckland on the North Island of New Zealand with Air New Zealand operating the DC-8 between AKL and HNL.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 7, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
30. Hmmmm....I cannot recall any airline flying nonstop between Port Moresby and Honolulu. Plus, I wonder if there would have been enough traffic on the route to justify service. And the old airport at Kai Tak serving Hong Kong was actually located on the mainland (I flew into Kai Tak one fine evening on board an L-1011-500 operated by Delta).

However, I can think of another destination which you indeed mentioned: Auckland on the North Island of New Zealand with Air New Zealand operating the DC-8 between AKL and HNL.
POM would have had to have depended upon through traffic, not POM O&D.

As to AKL, I had twisted the dates. I had thought that NZ received their first DC-8 in 1966 and that the question asked about 1965. In fact, the question asks about 1966 and NZ received the DC8-52 in 1965. I think, therefore, you are correct.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
21. Seven European airlines serve Chicago. Only two of them offer nonstop flights from Europe. Identify the two airlines and the nonstop routes served.

Time for the process of elimination here and yet another wild guess....

"Linee Aeree Italiane" a.k.a. Alitalia operating a DC-8 on a routing of
Roma - Milano - Chicago.

Questo è un ottimo indovinare! E una risposta corretta, potrei aggiungere ...

As such, the two airlines are:

Lufthansa 707 Frankfurt to Chicago
Alitalia DC-8 Milan to Chicago

And quite possibly both of these aircraft might have been powered by Rolls Royce Conway engines...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
30. Aside from airports in the Hawaiian Islands, Honolulu enjoys nonstop jet service from 8 other islands around the Pacific. Identify these islands. ALMOST THERE - Only one island destination left...

Per Indelaware: Seeing no one else jumping in with the answer, I'll take another guess. Possibilities seem to be:

Per jlemon: Hmmmm....I cannot recall any airline flying nonstop between Port Moresby and Honolulu. Plus, I wonder if there would have been enough traffic on the route to justify service. And the old airport at Kai Tak serving Hong Kong was actually located on the mainland (I flew into Kai Tak one fine evening on board an L-1011-500 operated by Delta).

Per Indelaware: POM would have had to have depended upon through traffic, not POM O&D. As to AKL, I had twisted the dates. I had thought that NZ received their first DC-8 in 1966 and that the question asked about 1965. In fact, the question asks about 1966 and NZ received the DC8-52 in 1965. I think, therefore, you are correct.

Once again, jlemon has stepped in and done an admirable job of batting clean up. To quote the late Ed McMahon: "You are correct, Sir! Har-Har-Har!!" It was indeed Air New Zealand with a nonstop DC-8 flight from Auckland.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 9, 2015 at 1:15 am
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good job, gang! Here are the two remaining unanswered questions...

The following questions are taken from a North American OAG published in 1966

3. In 1966 five airlines operate domestic flights with DC-6s while another three utilize DC-7s. Identify each respective airline. Hint: Only one airline operates both types. ALMOST THERE - DC-6s are correct, and now we need only the missing DC-7 operator... ...

19. Identify the westernmost city with domestic service aboard a DC-7. Further identify the airline and the route flown.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 8, 2015 at 10:17 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. Identify the westernmost city with domestic service aboard a DC-7. Further identify the airline and the route flown.
Perhaps the clue here is westernmost...

Sheyma to Anchorage on NW? Perhaps with a stop or two along the way.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if so, that also picks off the last remaining DC7 operator in q3 (as we already have DL and BN)
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Perhaps the clue here is westernmost...

Sheyma to Anchorage on NW? Perhaps with a stop or two along the way.
Hmmmmm....I do not think Northwest was still operating passenger service with the DC-7 by 1966. I do believe NW was operating a DC-7C flight once a week back in 1963 with a routing of New York-Chicago-Seattle-Anchorage-Tokyo and this was actually a mixed passenger and freight combi service with the aircraft being configured with an all coach cabin in addition to the freight section on the main deck. However, by 1966 I believe Northwest was only operating all cargo service domestically with the DC-7CF (NW was also operating B707-320B and -320C freighters at this time primarily on international routes to Asia).

So I am trying to think of who was still operating pax service with the DC-7 in the U.S. in 1966......

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 8, 2015 at 2:43 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
3- DL and BN are in; NA and EA are out ... so if not NW, we are left with the other historical DC-7 operators (AA, CO, PA, and UA)

we had a question a couple months ago regarding UA's west coast DC-7 service, so perhaps OAK is our answer (just because I think Seat 2A tends to avoid questions with reasonably intuitive answers such as SFO)

if not, I'm at a loss as to the last operator ... but I will again posit "BN, SAT" as the answer to the "westernmost" question even though that's been wrong once already in this quiz
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
3- DL and BN are in; NA and EA are out ... so if not NW, we are left with the other historical DC-7 operators (AA, CO, PA, and UA)
AA retired the DC-7 in 1963, UA in 1964 so they are out. PA retired its DC-7 in 1966 so it is a possibility. Not sure when they left the CO fleet.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA
Northwest was still operating DC-7CF Passenger-Freight combis into 1966, but only on a JFK-Milwaukee-Minneapolis routing, overnight both ways which required two aircraft. They had three such aircraft still in service, N284/88/89, finally sold to a dealer at the end of 1968, but Northwest had a habit of holding on to retired aircraft long before disposal.

Northwest didn't have much luck with the DC-7C, no less than three of their relatively small fleet crashed into the Pacific, seemingly the old trouble as elsewhere with the Wright Turbo-Compound engines. I wonder if Douglas, or the airlines, ever regretted the move from the DC-6B on to the DC-7.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Northwest was still operating DC-7CF Passenger-Freight combis into 1966, but only on a JFK-Milwaukee-Minneapolis routing, overnight both ways which required two aircraft. They had three such aircraft still in service, N284/88/89, finally sold to a dealer at the end of 1968, but Northwest had a habit of holding on to retired aircraft long before disposal.

Northwest didn't have much luck with the DC-7C, no less than three of their relatively small fleet crashed into the Pacific, seemingly the old trouble as elsewhere with the Wright Turbo-Compound engines. I wonder if Douglas, or the airlines, ever regretted the move from the DC-6B on to the DC-7.
Ah, I thought this Northwest DC-7CF operation was purely an all cargo flight. Interesting to learn it was actually a combi service. Was the freight transported in the forward section of the aircraft with passengers in the back much like the 727QC and 737 combis? And WHBM, you just may have provided the correct answer here. We shall see what our man in Alaska says......

Also interesting to note that although the DC-7 had been retired by United by 1966, the DC-6B continued to soldier on in the UA fleet for a bit longer.

Here's a bonus quiz item....

Identify a route operated by Pan Am with DC-6B equipment in 1966. And there may have been more than just one route flown outside of the U.S. by PA with the aircraft. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 9, 2015 at 8:13 am Reason: bonus quiz item
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... bonus quiz item....
Identify a route operated by Pan Am with DC-6B equipment in 1966. And there may have been more than just one route flown outside of the U.S. by PA with the aircraft.
I think PA was transitioning Berlin<-->Hamburg and Berlin<-->Hannover services from DC-6s to 727s in the mid-1966 timeframe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.