Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
28. Only one airline offers direct service between Manila, Philippines and London, England with a variety of four and five stop services. Identify this airline and the aircraft used.

This sure sounds like QANTAS with the flight either continuing on to or originating in Australia, of course.

If so, aircraft was a Boeing 707 "V-Jet".

As for the routing, it was probably something like:

London-Rome-Athens-Teheran-Delhi-Hong Kong-Manila-Sydney

Or....

London-Rome-Teheran-Delhi-Hong Kong-Manila-Sydney

Or....

London-Vienna-Teheran-Delhi-Hong Kong-Manila-Sydney

Some of these flights may have stopped at Brisbane as well.

Good on ya, Mate! QANTAS it was! Here are the flights and routings:

QF 751 SYD-MNL-HKG-PLV-THR-FCO-LHR

QF 755 SYD-MNL-HKG-PLV-THR-ATH-LHR

QF 759 SYD-BNE-MNL-HKG-PLV-THR-VIE-LHR

PLV = New Delhi
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
15. You want to fly from Manhattan (Kansas) to Denver, Colorado. Identify which airline you’d call, the aircraft you’d fly upon and the two stops you’d make enroute.

Well, I do not think this was Frontier....at least at this time in 1966. So that means it was Central Airlines and two stops between Manhattan and Denver may have both been in Kansas: Hays and Salina.

As for the equipment, the Douglas DC-3 comes to mind....however, at this point it might have been what Central called the "Dart 600": a Convair 600. So I'll go with the turboprop on this one.

Good call, JL. You are correct on everything except one of the cities stopped at enroute. Now then, which one is correct... and what was the other city stopped at?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
15. Hmmmm....the only other possible stop I can think of would be Goodland, Kansas. So perhaps the two stops were Hays and Goodland.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15. You want to fly from Manhattan (Kansas) to Denver, Colorado. Identify which airline you’d call, the aircraft you’d fly upon and the two stops you’d make enroute.

Well, I do not think this was Frontier....at least at this time in 1966. So that means it was Central Airlines and two stops between Manhattan and Denver may have both been in Kansas: Hays and Salina.

As for the equipment, the Douglas DC-3 comes to mind....however, at this point it might have been what Central called the "Dart 600": a Convair 600. So I'll go with the turboprop on this one.

Good call, JL. You are correct on everything except one of the cities stopped at enroute. Now then, which one is correct... and what was the other city stopped at?

Hmmmm....the only other possible stop I can think of would be Goodland, Kansas. So perhaps the two stops were Hays and Goodland.

The two stops were Salina and Goodland. Central offered two Convair 600 flights per day between Manhattan and Denver, both of which operated along this routing.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining unanswered questions...

The following questions are taken from a North American OAG published in 1966

3. In 1966 five airlines operate domestic flights with DC-6s while another three utilize DC-7s. Identify each respective airline. Hint: Only one airline operates both types. ALMOST THERE - DC-6s are correct, and now we need only the missing DC-7 operator... ...

16: The DeHavilland Comet 4C shows up on a number of instances throughout the 1966 North American OAG I’m referencing for these questions. Identify the two longest scheduled routes operated by the CM4 shown in the OAG and the airline that flew each route. A N S W E R E D

19. Identify the westernmost city with domestic service aboard a DC-7. Further identify the airline and the route flown.

The following questions are based upon schedules posted in a 1966 International OAG

21. Seven European airlines serve Chicago. Only two of them offer nonstop flights from Europe. Identify the two airlines and the nonstop routes served. A N S W E R E D

25. What was the world’s southernmost city served with the Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle? A N S W E R E D

30. Aside from airports in the Hawaiian Islands, Honolulu enjoys nonstop jet service from 8 other islands around the Pacific. Identify these islands. A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What was the world’s southernmost city served with the Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle?
Standing by for the answer to this one.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:29 pm

16: The DeHavilland Comet 4C shows up on a number of instances throughout the 1966 North American OAG I’m referencing for these questions. Identify the two longest scheduled routes operated by the CM4 shown in the OAG and the airline that flew each route.
I don't have an old NA OAG to hand here, unlike others, bur as far as I recall it was flights wholly in the NA mainland down to Mexico, plus all Caribbean islands.

I'll say the longest was Aerolineas, again, their New York to B.A. Comet stopped at Trinidad, probably the longest run, while the runner-up is possibly Mexicana from Chicago to Mexico City.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
What was the world’s southernmost city served with the Sud Aviation SE 210 Caravelle?

Standing by for the answer to this one.

That city would be Punta Arenas, Chile (Latitude 53.1667° S). LAN Chile operated a single Caravelle flight from Santiago routing via Puerto Montt. Here's the schedule:

LA 85 SCL-PMC Dep. 1335 Arr. 1515 Eq. CVL Freq. 135
LA 85 PMC-PUQ Dep. 1545 Arr. 1755 Eq. CVL

LA 86 PUQ-PMC Dep. 1825 Arr. 2120 Eq. CVL Freq. 135
LA 86 PMC-SCL Dep. 2150 Arr. 2255 Eq. CVL

Other equipment operated by LAN into Punta Arenas included DC-3s and DC-6s. I was interested to note that Osorno also received a single CVL nonstop from Santiago.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
16: The DeHavilland Comet 4C shows up on a number of instances throughout the 1966 North American OAG I’m referencing for these questions. Identify the two longest scheduled routes operated by the CM4 shown in the OAG and the airline that flew each route.

I'll say the longest was Aerolineas, again, their New York to B.A. Comet stopped at Trinidad, probably the longest run, while the runner-up is possibly Mexicana from Chicago to Mexico City.

Correct on both counts, WHBM! ^^ Alas, my copy of the relevant OAG is 120 miles down the road or I'd publish the respective schedules. I can at least furnish the mileage flown:

Port of Spain to New York: 2210 miles

Mexico City to Chicago: 1690 miles
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

21. Seven European airlines serve Chicago. Only two of them offer nonstop flights from Europe. Identify the two airlines and the nonstop routes served.
21. Wild guess time: Air France to Paris and Lufthansa to Frankfurt with both flights being operated with Boeing 707 aircraft.

And when we do get this one answered, I think it would be interesting to know just which European air carriers were permitted to transport local traffic between Chicago and Montreal in 1966 as a number of flights stopped at Montreal back then between ORD and Europe.

BTW, I flew from DFW to ORD to YUL on an American Airlines through flight operated with a 707 back in 1978. I had actually originated in AUS on a Braniff 727 up to DFW the afternoon before and then had to spend the night near the airport due to the connecting schedule. Not too many choices back then for air travel from central Texas to Quebec.

I had flown to Montreal at the invitation of an old friend who had requested my assistance with regard to driving a classic old automobile back to Austin. And it was a real classic: a 1953 right hand drive Bentley. It turned out to be a rather interesting road trip due to the fact that unless one really concentrated on one's driving, that old car had a real propensity to make a break for either the median or the shoulder while cruising on the freeway. Fortunately, we did not end up in the weeds during our journey.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reason: wordsmithing, as usual
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:55 pm

That city would be Punta Arenas, Chile (Latitude 53.1667° S). LAN Chile operated a single Caravelle flight from Santiago routing via Puerto Montt.
I'd got it into my mind that it must be Aerolineas, not LAN (both early Caravelle operators). LAN didn't get their first Boeings until 1967, so their three Caravelles had been holding the jet fort for them for a few years, all the way up to Miami - and down to Punta Arenas. That's quite a span.

Incidentally, you get the impression that Punta Arenas is way down in the wilds, next stop the South Pole. Yet its latitude is no more south than Manchester (where I'm off to tomorrow) is north.

it was a real classic: a 1953 right hand drive Bentley. It turned out to be a rather interesting road trip due to the fact that unless one really concentrated on one's driving, that old car had a real propensity to make a break for either the median or the shoulder while cruising on the freeway.
Interesting old car. I know someone with three of them (not a mad collector, but a commercial operation, they hire them out to weddings etc). Did it have a Bentley body (steel frame), or was it by one of the more common independent British bodybuilders with a wood (ash) frame on a Bentley chassis ? And was it painted two shades of grey, like many were ? I see the good old Burman (a Birmingham manufacturer) steering was showing its temperament as usual - worn recirculating teeth. Also unusual to have a Bentley in North America, most there have always gone for the Rolls-Royce brand - it's the same car from the same plant, just the badges are different. This one's equivalent would be a Rolls Silver Wraith. In traditional Britain, if you had a chauffeur you chose a Rolls, if you were going to drive it yourself most went for the Bentley badge. Final aviation connection, by the 1950s the cars were being built in a factory at Crewe, not far from MAN, where most of the engines for Spitfires and others had been built a few years previously.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good evening, gang - I apologize for the delay in my response but unfortunately we've been suffering through a spate of exceptionally sluggish internet response times with the result being that I was able to finally pull up the OTAQ&D but was unable to post any responses!

Things appear to be much better this evening, which is much appreciated after the day we had yesterday. Thunderstorms, mudslides that closed the road and my first bus breakdown in over 10 years (I was the reigning record holder in this regard, i.e. the longest time of any driver here without a breakdown.) Alas, as of today I can only say that I haven't broken down since yesterday. Sigh...

Alright then - to the Q&As...

21. Seven European airlines serve Chicago. Only two of them offer nonstop flights from Europe. Identify the two airlines and the nonstop routes served.

Wild guess time: Air France to Paris and Lufthansa to Frankfurt with both flights being operated with Boeing 707 aircraft.

And when we do get this one answered, I think it would be interesting to know just which European air carriers were permitted to transport local traffic between Chicago and Montreal in 1966 as a number of flights stopped at Montreal back then between ORD and Europe.

Lufthansa from Frankfurt is correct! Now then, just one more airline... With the exception of Lufthansa, all of the other airlines operated via Montreal - including the other airline that also operated a nonstop from Europe one day per week.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
21- based on the statement about Montreal, and recalling a number of earlier questions about foreign carriers operating between Canada and the US, I'm going to toss out a totally random guess here and speculate that we're actually looking for a smaller airline, representing a smaller European nation: Aer Lingus, also operating a 707, ORD<-->Shannon (SNN)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Based on the statement about Montreal, and recalling a number of earlier questions about foreign carriers operating between Canada and the US, I'm going to toss out a totally random guess here and speculate that we're actually looking for a smaller airline, representing a smaller European nation: Aer Lingus, also operating a 707, ORD<-->Shannon (SNN)

Aer Lingus was indeed one of the European airlines serving Chicago. However, all of its flights to and from ORD were routed through YUL.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21. Time for the process of elimination here and yet another wild guess....

"Linee Aeree Italiane" a.k.a. Alitalia operating a DC-8 on a routing of Roma - Milano - Chicago.

And if so, this flight may have had a nickname: "The Mafia Express"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.