Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Mar 9, 15, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 View Post
Um, true confessions time. I too flew several times on WA to Hawaii in First.

And, well, I took this very flight in 1979 for my freshman year at the University of Hawaii. Did not realize it originated in DEN and maybe it didn't in 1979 but... sure wish more of my memory circuits were functional!
Well you're doing okay if you can remember flights from 1979. It's weird with memory... I can remember meals I had on flights in the late 1960s and yet I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Um... did I even have lunch yesterday...?

By 1979 I'm fairly certain the DEN-SAN portion of this flight was operated with a 727-200 or possibly even a 707-320. Western's DC-10 wasn't seen in Denver again until the start of nonstop flights to London in 1981, and then it was a -30.

Old Mar 9, 15, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA
That's right. I've been able to find a few references to AM's HS-748s but no photos. At one time the fleet numbered 5. From what I can gather, the aircraft may have been operated by Servicios Aerieos Especiales on behalf of AM. If anyone out there could offer a definitive answer, WHBM would be the man.
Yes, a predecessor Mexican airline, Aeromaya, had a couple, after merging into SAESA the year before our question they bought three more new ones. Two were lost quite soon, the others, like most 748s in North America, were then sold on in Canada, where they lasted for many years. SAESA seem to have been somewhat associated with Aeromexico. These were the only 748s to operate in the country.

http://www.airlinefan.com/airline-ph...HS-748/XA-SAB/

The 748 scored over the Fokker/Fairchild F27 in Canada by its robust undercarriage, which suited gravel runways much better than the long-legged F27 under its high wing.

OAG code AO for Avro. The Hawker Siddeley company had owned several manufacturers for a long time, Avro since the mid-1930s, likewise the Hawker Hurricane of WW2 prominence, De Havilland, and others, all with their own design teams and separate factories, although behind the scenes they subcontracted a lot of parts between one another. A change in corporate policy in 1963 led to the whole organisation being rebranded as Hawker Siddeley, just a year or so after the first Avro 748s came along, but the OAG code stuck (in our equivalent ABC timetable over here it was HS7). The name Avro was resuscitated in more recent times on the "BAe146-Neo", one of which I can hear taking off from London City just as I type this !

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 9, 15 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:48 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post

35. Now you’re needed in Calgary, Alberta. It turns out that the single daily nonstop out of Denver is sold out, however just down the road in Colorado Springs there is a single daily flight that makes two stops enroute to Calgary. Identify the airline, aircraft and the intermediate stops between COS and YYC.
Well....please allow me to really go off into the deep end here.....

America West (HP) operating a B737-200 on a routing of COS-PHX-LAS-YYC.
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Here's an update on the unanswered questions:

8. (In 1975) This foreign airline enjoyed 5th freedom rights with a flight between Los Angeles and Mexico City every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Identify the airline and the aircraft. A N S W E R E D

9. A thorough perusal of the pocket flight guide revealed seven Illinois cities that enjoyed jet service in late 1975. Can you identify them all? (Partial answers will not be accepted) A N S W E R E D

The following 6 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 OAG

13. This airline offers the only widebodied service between New York and Chicago. Identify the airline and equipment used. A N S W E R E D

14. Identify the longest nonstop flight being operated out of Burbank, California. I’m looking for route, airline and equipment.

15. Alphabetically, this was the last city in the OAG receiving jet service. Identify the city, and if you like the airline, aircraft and two cities it was served from.

16. In terms of capacity, identify the largest aircraft operating between St. Louis and Denver. I’m looking for airline and aircraft.

17. Between Mexico’s two largest cities, two airlines operate flights with five different types of aircraft – two propeller driven airplanes and three jets. One airline operates two types of equipment, the other three. Each aircraft type is unique to that airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft types operated between Guadalajara y Ciudad de Mexico. A N S W E R E D

20. A perusal of the OAG has turned up four airlines that operated 727-100s into San Juan, Puerto Rico from regional airports. Can you identify them?

24. (In 1983) If you live in Saskatoon and want to fly upon Boeing’s new 767, there’s only one place you can fly to from your hometown airport. Identify the airline and the route. (We know the airline is Pacific Western. We're looking for the nonstop route flown A N S W E R E D

The following 5 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1986 OAG

31. Tired of flying small and mid-sized jets between the Los Angeles and Las Vegas, you’ve decided to try out this airline which offers decently sized prop-jet service between Burbank and Las Vegas. Identify the airline and the aircraft type used on this route.

32. Two airlines operate nonstop flights between Edmonton, Alberta and Yellowknife – way up there in the Northwest Territories. One airline operates a jet only schedule, the other a turboprop only schedule. Identify each airline and the respective equipment operated.

33. Here you are looking forward to a nice weekend in Miami when an old friend calls and says she’s managed to come up with a pair of tickets to see Emmylou Harris on Saturday night at the famous Ryman Theater in Nashville, Tennessee. Can you make it? A quick search of your trusty OAG indicates a single nonstop flight between Miami and Nashville. Moments later you’re booked and ready to go. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this route.

34. Well aren’t you popular this week! Now the boss has called and says he needs you in Denver by noon on Monday. Well I’ll be – one airline operates a single daily nonstop flight that’ll get you into the Mile High City by 10:30am. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this route. A N S W E R E D

35. Now you’re needed in Calgary, Alberta. It turns out that the single daily nonstop out of Denver is sold out, however just down the road in Colorado Springs there is a single daily flight that makes two stops enroute to Calgary. Identify the airline, aircraft and the intermediate stops between COS and YYC. A N S W E R E D

Miscellaneous Questions
I have made note of my reference sources for each of these questions in case there should be answers different from those I have. Debate and further discussion over any of the topics mentioned in this thread is always welcome!

36. What was the first airline to fly its own jets into each of the 50 U.S. states? A N S W E R E D

37. What did the airline in question 36 do to promote its status as the only airline to fly into each of the 50 U.S. states? A N S W E R E D

38. What was the first airline to introduce seat back tv's on every seat?

39. When was the first pilot’s strike of a large airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved? A N S W E R E D

Bonus Question: When was the first pilot’s strike of a trunk airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved?

40. What was the first airline to offer video games inflight? What year was it? A N S W E R E D

41. This U.S. airline once ousted its longtime president and replaced him with the brother of the president of its chief rival airline. Which U.S. airline was this? A N S W E R E D

42. What U.S. airline introduced ETOPs flights across the Atlantic? What type of aircraft was used? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 9, 15 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 9, 15, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
[b]35. Now you’re needed in Calgary, Alberta. It turns out that the single daily nonstop out of Denver is sold out, however just down the road in Colorado Springs there is a single daily flight that makes two stops enroute to Calgary. Identify the airline, aircraft and the intermediate stops between COS and YYC.[./b]

Well....please allow me to really go off into the deep end here.....

America West (HP) operating a B737-200 on a routing of COS-PHX-LAS-YYC.

You're a good swimmer, JL. You'll do just fine. America West it was, and the flight actually continued on to Edmonton.

Many thanks also to WHBM for his comprehensive description of the Mexican 748 operations. We still have a 748 that occasionally visits Fairbanks from Whitehorse and Dawson City. It wears the orange and white livery of Air North.

And with that I'm signing off. It's been almost two hours addressing all these answers so thanks to everyone for your participation and as for me - I'm off to work.
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Looks all good from here, Seat 2A....

"Direct" as in "no change of plane" with continuing service, as it were, irrespective of the bourbon, of course......
At one point, a direct flight meant a flight with no change of equipment. However, it is now known to be a service with no change flight number which may include any number of intermediate stops and any number of aircraft changes, including change of gauge. The OAG began to use the single flight number with possible aircraft changes definition in the 1970s.

Anyone with a large library of OAGs to pin down the date?
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA
42. What U.S. airline introduced ETOPs flights across the Atlantic? What type of aircraft was used?
TWA with a 767-200
This is correct. However, it wasn't really a great event. TWA had been serving their Boston to Paris route for some time with the 767, just keeping within the old 60-minute radius of available points. All the ETOPS rating allowed was for them to route a little further south. In the beginning, some of the detailed requirements didn't quite work out on some days, so they just reverted to that previous routing and arrived a bit late (as, indeed, still sometimes happens).
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:12 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Well you're doing okay if you can remember flights from 1979. It's weird with memory... I can remember meals I had on flights in the late 1960s and yet I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Um... did I even have lunch yesterday...?

By 1979 I'm fairly certain the DEN-SAN portion of this flight was operated with a 727-200 or possibly even a 707-320. Western's DC-10 wasn't seen in Denver again until the start of nonstop flights to London in 1981, and then it was a -30.

My WA flying was in large part the largess of our area WA sales rep who had the hots for my boss. After an internship at AA in HNL as well as leveraging connections up on San Vincente Blvd, most of my Hawaii flying was AA76 SAN-LAX (DC-10 service) connecting to AA31 (747 service) to HNL. Those were great flying experiences.

And if I can be forgiven one last diversion before returning the quiz, if you have any interest in aviation history in SAN, check out San Diego through the years by Jon Proctor. Actually his entire website is interesting -- even has a trip report on Alaska's Golden Samovar Service - 1971. An amazing guy...

Ok, back onto the flight path - thanks for indulging a trip down my own personal memory (sic!) lane.
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:16 pm

9. A thorough perusal of the pocket flight guide revealed seven Illinois cities that enjoyed jet service in late 1975. Can you identify them all? (Partial answers will not be accepted)

39. When was the first pilot’s strike of a large airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved?

40. What was the first airline to offer video games inflight? What year was it?
9. Bloomington-Normal BMI; Chicago CGX, ORD, & MDW; Decatur DEC; Peoria PIA; Rockford RFD; Springfield SPI; Tolono CMI; Quincy UIN. OZ provided service to all of them!

39. Century Airlines, 1932.
40. CP Air, 1983.

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 9, 15 at 4:48 pm
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:33 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Here's an update on the unanswered questions:

8. (In 1975) This foreign airline enjoyed 5th freedom rights with a flight between Los Angeles and Mexico City every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Identify the airline and the aircraft.
PR with DC-8 equipment.
Old Mar 9, 15, 6:29 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, minuscule UA miles, former CO Plat

And if I can be forgiven one last diversion before returning the quiz, if you have any interest in aviation history in SAN, check out San Diego through the years by Jon Proctor. Actually his entire website is interesting -- even has a trip report on Alaska's Golden Samovar Service - 1971. An amazing guy...
Thanks for the link! I could not remember if we had included this link awhile back to Mr. Proctor's San Diego photos, although I believe we did include the links to his Chicago, New York and L.A. airport photos....and these links appear at the end of the above link to his SAN photos.

One photo of interest in his SAN collection is of a National L-188 Electra at Lindbergh Field. NA initiated their very first service to San Diego with the Electra. And in the spring of 1962, National was operating one departure a day from the airport which was a red eye. Here's the eastbound sched.....

NA 266: SAN 11:50p - 12:25a LAX 12:55a - 6:40a HOU 7:10a - 8:09a MSY 8:35a - 11:30a MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: Electra II PROP JET
Classes of service: F/T

By early summer of 1964, National had begun operating the DC8 into San Diego. Here's an example of a westbound sched....

NA 39: BOS 8:00a - 8:50a JFK 9:20a (EDT) - 10:20a (EST) JAX 10:45a - 11;25a TPA 11:55a - 12:07p MSY 12:35p - 3:08p LAX 3:45p - 4:20p SAN
Op: Daily
Equip: DC8 JET
Classes of service: F/Y

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 9, 15 at 6:38 pm Reason: additional info
Old Mar 9, 15, 9:21 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I appear to be incorrect, SQ introduced Krisworld later than 1991.
Old Mar 9, 15, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
This is correct. However, it wasn't really a great event. TWA had been serving their Boston to Paris route for some time with the 767, just keeping within the old 60-minute radius of available points. All the ETOPS rating allowed was for them to route a little further south. In the beginning, some of the detailed requirements didn't quite work out on some days, so they just reverted to that previous routing and arrived a bit late (as, indeed, still sometimes happens).
Thanks, WHBM! When did TWA start these 60 minute radius flights? How much longer were they than the assumedly more direct route?
Old Mar 9, 15, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

My WA flying was in large part the largess of our area WA sales rep who had the hots for my boss. After an internship at AA in HNL as well as leveraging connections up on San Vincente Blvd, most of my Hawaii flying was AA76 SAN-LAX (DC-10 service) connecting to AA31 (747 service) to HNL. Those were great flying experiences.

Ok, back onto the flight path - thanks for indulging a trip down my own personal memory (sic!) lane.
I think I speak for many here when I say it's a lot of fun strolling down memory lane. We were so very fortunate to have lived during a time when the level of service on everyday domestic flights - not just international flights - was superb. Just look at the difference in First Class service on West Coast to Hawaii flights today vs. back in the seventies and eighties. Or before. Indeed, we might even give some consideration to re-naming this thread "Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion". I mean honestly, the questions are all well and good but most of them are schedule oriented (which are still a fun test of memory) and come with that annoying request to limit answers to just two or three. Discussion on the other hand can take place just about any time on a huge variety of subjects relative to commercial aviation and our experiences with it.

Speaking for myself at least, I really enjoy hearing stories from WHBM and jlemon as well as the rest of youse. There's some great history amongst us and your contributions in this regard are always entertaining and often educational. In fact, if enough of you agree, I'll go ahead and put the name change proposal to the moderator. On the other hand, if you don't agree - or have a better idea for a name - or think we're just fine as is, say so if you like. Either way - I won't take any action unless there's a clear consensus or directive.
Old Mar 9, 15, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
9. A thorough perusal of the pocket flight guide revealed seven Illinois cities that enjoyed jet service in late 1975. Can you identify them all? (Partial answers will not be accepted)

Bloomington-Normal BMI; Chicago CGX, ORD, & MDW; Decatur DEC; Peoria PIA; Rockford RFD; Springfield SPI; Tolono CMI; Quincy UIN. OZ provided service to all of them!

Working from the Pocket Flight Guide, I was able to identify the following eight (I forgot to count Midway) Illinois cities having jet service in 1975:

Champaign
Chicago O'Hare
Chicago Midway
Decatur
Moline
Peoria
Quincy
Springfield

I am working with a Pocket OAG however, and as we found when Icecat listed three more Michigan cities than my Pocket OAG had listed, the Pocket OAG doesn't always list everything.

You've listed Rockford as well as Meigs Field. Did Ozark fly jets into Meigs or was it another airline? I didn't know they had a runway long enough, especially for 1975 era jets!

39. When was the first pilotís strike of a large airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved?

This question was answered up-thread, and we gave Icecat credit for the correct answer with Century Airlines in '32. Since then, we've added a bonus question to this:

39B. When was the first pilotís strike of a trunk airline in the U.S.? What airline was involved?

40. What was the first airline to offer video games inflight? What year was it?

CP Air, 1983.

I have links to a source that claims its airline offered the first inflight video games in 1975. I remember flying a Continental DC-10 in July of 1977 that had "Pong" games imbedded in the tables of the Polynesian Pub Lounge.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 9, 15 at 10:47 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: