Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:05 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
Not so much a Gripper after all, then.
The Trident was very fast, if you could coax if off the ground. Have we had it being the four engine take-off trijet yet?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL, AA
32) Three different airlines were operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Guayaquil (GYE). Two airlines flew daily on the route and the third air carrier operated twice a week. Each airline operated a different type of aircraft. Name all three air carriers and the respective equipment types.

I'll give this one a try, my knowledge of South America air service is limited, but here goes;
how about Saeta with a 320, American with a 757 (1993 it might have been a 727) and then Lan-Chile with possibly the 763? Well someone had to give it a guess.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The BAC-111 did pretty well on this side of the Atlantic. Was there ever any serious interest in the Trident in North or South America? Amongst fellow commonwealth countries perhaps?

BTW, all good guesses above, Icecat. I might also add for consideration Ecuatoriana. I know it ceased operations for a couple of years in the early 90s (Starting in September of 1993 I believe) so it might have been around then as well.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The BAC-111 did pretty well on this side of the Atlantic. Was there ever any serious interest in the Trident in
American Airlines considered the Trident, and Hawker Siddeley began developing a longer-range version for AA, but AA never bought the 1C version, although BEA did. I don't think that any U.S. or Canadian airline ever flew the Trident.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I don't think that any U.S. or Canadian airline ever flew the Trident.
I used to think that one never even got there. Regarding "fellow Commonwealth countries", the only significant one in North America is Canada, and with the flying community there on Air Canada having been both deafened and having all the teeth shaken out of their heads by AC having bought the Vanguard, they kept a bit clear of UK products.

Ironically, those thundering props on the Vanguard were produced by De Havilland, who had a propellers division, so a bit of an own goal for them when their own Trident came along. The Bristol Britannia used Dowty props, which were indeed a world quieter.

However, a knowledgeable poster in another PPlAce wrote that they once saw, to their surprise, an Iraqi Airways (of all operators) Trident turn up at JFK with a national delegation to the United Nations. Iraqi did keep one of their handful of Tridents permanently rigged up with a VIP interior, presumably it was that one. But that might be the only time one crossed the Atlantic. Like the stretched BAC Super One-Eleven 500, it was never even offered to the FAA for certification.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:24 pm

The Bristol Britannia used Dowty props, which were indeed a world quieter.
What did the CL-44, based on the Britannia, use? My first transatlantic flight was in a CL-44J, of course on Loftleiđir.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
32) Three different airlines were operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Guayaquil (GYE). Two airlines flew daily on the route and the third air carrier operated twice a week. Each airline operated a different type of aircraft. Name all three air carriers and the respective equipment types.

I'll give this one a try, my knowledge of South America air service is limited, but here goes;
how about Saeta with a 320, American with a 757 (1993 it might have been a 727) and then Lan-Chile with possibly the 763? Well someone had to give it a guess.
Well, I'm still in chilly Houston on biz but shall return to Louisiana, home and my airline reference material tomorrow evening. I'll respond then.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I used to think that one never even got there. Regarding "fellow Commonwealth countries", the only significant one in North America is Canada, and with the flying community there on Air Canada having been both deafened and having all the teeth shaken out of their heads by AC having bought the Vanguard, they kept a bit clear of UK products.

Ironically, those thundering props on the Vanguard were produced by De Havilland, who had a propellers division, so a bit of an own goal for them when their own Trident came along. The Bristol Britannia used Dowty props, which were indeed a world quieter.

However, a knowledgeable poster in another PPlAce wrote that they once saw, to their surprise, an Iraqi Airways (of all operators) Trident turn up at JFK with a national delegation to the United Nations. Iraqi did keep one of their handful of Tridents permanently rigged up with a VIP interior, presumably it was that one. But that might be the only time one crossed the Atlantic. Like the stretched BAC Super One-Eleven 500, it was never even offered to the FAA for certification.
Interesting....I believe Cayman Airways, LACSA and LIAT all flew the Super BAC One-Eleven 500 in the Caribbean with Cayman Airways operating the aircraft to Houston (IAH) and Miami (MIA), and LACSA flying the airplane to Miami as well. Of course, FAA certification was not necessary with regard to these non-U.S. air carriers operating the "S11" (OAG aircraft code).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
What did the CL-44, based on the Britannia, use? My first transatlantic flight was in a CL-44J, of course on Loftleiđir.
I can't find a reference, but looking at them, they appear to be De Havilland props, the same as on the Vanguard, which shared the use of Rolls-Royce Tyne engines with the Canadair CL-44, rather then the Bristol Siddeley Proteus engines of the Bristol Britannia with Dowty props. So the props went with the engine rather than the airframe design.

The Vanguard and CL-44 props are square ended, whereas the Britannia props are semi-circular round ended.

The CL-44 was a hybrid, which used much of the Bristol Britannia's design, notably the fuselage and wings/tail (where Canadair licensed the designs), but stretched and with different engines. The first ones, only for the RCAF, actually had Pratt & Whitney R-4360 radial piston engines, then they moved on to the Tyne turboprop. Bristol were having immense difficulties with the Proteus, development problems, especially with it icing up, caused the Brit to be years late into service, where it essentially missed its market and was overtaken by jets by the time it was all overcome. You can imagine many discussions, a jaundiced view of the Proteus problems, and Rolls-Royce pointing out how their Dart on the Viscount had just worked out of the box. So Canadair went for Rolls-Royce, and those big square ended props.

Little known is that Douglas actually were offering a further DC-7 development, the DC-7D, also with Tyne turboprops, and this came quite close to being built. It was principally for BOAC, but eventually commonsense prevailed and an orphan engine type, quite different to what Douglas had done before, just for the 10 aircraft BOAC were looking for, didn't make financial sense. It would have been a further slap in the eye for the Bristol Britannia programme.

Kochleffel, how noisy was that CL-44 ? It was quite a long aircraft so it probably varied down the cabin. Oh, and you didn't necessarily have to be on Loftleidir because several US supplemental carriers such as Slick Airways of the time were doing transatlantic military charters with them, principally from the US to Germany.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:41 am

Kochleffel, how noisy was that CL-44 ? It was quite a long aircraft so it probably varied down the cabin. Oh, and you didn't necessarily have to be on Loftleidir because several US supplemental carriers such as Slick Airways of the time were doing transatlantic military charters with them, principally from the US to Germany.
I had a window seat near the engines; I remember that they had "Rolls-Royce" painted on the sides facing the cabin. I don't think that they were louder than the engines of a Viscount, but there was a lot of vibration.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat

Finally back in the saddle here. Thanks for your patience.

32) Excellent guesses all!

American with B757-200 nonstop service - Correct!

Saeta with A320 nonstop service - Saeta is correct; however the equipment was not an A320

Lan-Chile with B767-300 nonstop service - Please guess again!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

The following five quiz items all have a time line of early 1976:

4) CP Air was operating three daily nonstop flights between Vancouver and Toronto at this time. Each flight was operated with a different aircraft type. Name all three types. ANSWERED - Boeing 747, Boeing 727-100 & Boeing 727-200

6) What was the largest aircraft type being flown nonstop between San Juan (SJU) and Tortola (EIS) in the British Virgin Islands at this time and what airline operated the service?

8) Only one airline was operating jet service into Uranium City, Saskatchewan at this time with two flights a week, Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

9) Two airlines were competing on the Montreal - Val D'Or, Quebec route at this time. One air carrier flew two different but similar aircraft types while the other airline operated three very different aircraft types on the route. Name both air carriers and the respective equipment.

11) You are in Atlanta having dinner with good friends. A message is delivered: can you make an early afternoon meeting in Las Vegas the next day? You discover there is a departure in the morning from ATL at 10:16am that will get you into LAS at 12:43pm which is the earliest arrival time. This flight operates daily and makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the aircraft and the one stop. ANSWERED - Delta operating a B747-100 with a stop at DFW

17) Fill in the blanks concerning this air carrier ad: "They went thataway. (With _______ to Australia.) Here's a hint: this ad was promoting the airline's service from Los Angeles. And for bonus points, identify the aircraft type mentioned in this ad with this statement in mind: "Aboard one of our _______ seated in the roomiest Economy seat of any comparable jet."

22) In the winter of 1991, this airline was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Vail, Colorado via Eagle County Airport (EGE) to both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). And this same air carrier was also flying nonstop five days a week to a third destination. Identify the airline and this third destination.

25) Also in the fall of 1994, three airlines were operating nonstop jet service from St. Thomas (STT) to St. Croix (STX) in the U.S. Virgin Islands. These airlines operated different aircraft types on the route. One carrier operated daily, the second airline flew six days a week and the third carrier operated twice a week. Identify all three airlines and the respective equipment.
Still looking for answers for these quiz items.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 3, 2015 at 9:14 am Reason: answer update & additional info
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

27) It's the summer of 1965 and you've just finished lunch in Philadelphia. A message is delivered: can you attend a meeting the next morning in San Antonio? You quickly ascertain there is no nonstop service from PHL to SAT......but there is a direct flight departing at 5:55pm that will get you into the Alamo City at 9:10pm. This flight makes two intermediate stops en route and operates daily. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two stops. Partially answered - Eastern and one of the stops was ATL

32) In the fall of 1993, three different airlines were operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Guayaquil (GYE). Two airlines flew daily on the route and the third air carrier operated twice a week. Each airline operated a different type of aircraft. Name all three air carriers and the respective equipment types.
ANSWERED - American with 757 service, Saeta with A310 service & Ecuatoriana with DC-10-30 service
And just one quiz item to go here......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:23 pm Reason: answer update
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here are the remaining bonus quiz items which shall complete my current set:

36) In early 1985, this airline was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Kalamazoo, MI (AZO) with one flight a day operated with the iconic British twin jet. Identify the air carrier and the route. ANSWERED - Air Wisconsin

37) Also in 1985, CP Air was operating one round trip nonstop flight between Vancouver (YVR) and Montreal (YUL) five days a week on a Monday through Friday basis. What type of equipment did CP operate on this flight? ANSWERED - B737-200

38) In the fall of 1993, the Faroe Islands (FAE) in the North Atlantic only received nonstop air service on two routes. Jet aircraft were flown by two airlines on one route and turboprop service was operated by one airline on the other route. Name all three airlines that served FAE at this time as well as the routes and also identify the respective equipment types these air carriers operated into this remote destination.

39) Also in the fall of 1993, only one airline operated nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Iquitos (IQT) in the Amazon jungle in Peru with one flight a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type flown on the route.

40) Once again in the fall of 1993, no less than nine airlines were operating nonstop service between Hong Kong (HKG) and Bangkok (BKK). Two of the airlines were Cathay Pacific (CX) operating 747 and L-1011 equipment and Thai Airways International (TG) flying 747 and A300 aircraft. Name as many of the other seven air carriers as you can and also identify the equipment each operated on the route. And here's a hint: none of these airlines were based in the U.S. or U.K.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 1, 2015 at 7:59 am Reason: additional info & answer updates
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

BTW, all good guesses above, Icecat. I might also add for consideration Ecuatoriana. I know it ceased operations for a couple of years in the early 90s (Starting in September of 1993 I believe) so it might have been around then as well.
32) Empresa Ecuatoriana de Aviacion (EU) is correct! However, we are still looking for the aircraft type EU operated on the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.