Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
22. In the winter of 1991, this airline was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Vail, Colorado via Eagle County Airport (EGE) to both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). And this same air carrier was also flying nonstop five days a week to a third destination. Identify the airline and this third destination.

Hmm... well, if it's not AA, I'm going to go with United. UA also operated a flight up from Denver.
22) Well....no. Thus, we continue to look for another airline here which was operating twin engine jet equipment EGE-LAX, EGE-SFO and EGE-? (and the third destination was not DEN) during the winter of 1991 on these ski season routes.....
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
5) This airline was operating the only direct service from Victoria, B.C. to Toronto. Two intermediate stops were made en route and the flight was operated daily. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and both stops.
Originally Posted by WHBM
Air Canada DC9-30, stopping at Calgary and Winnipeg ?
5) Air Canada operating a DC9-30 is correct!

However, this flight did not stop in either Calgary (YYC) or Winnipeg (YWG).....
how about Edmonton and Regina?

7) This airline was operating nonstop service once a week from both Los Angeles and San Francisco to Twin Falls, ID. Name the air carrier and the equipment. And here's a hint: the aircraft type flown on each route was very similar yet different.
based on the "similar yet different" I would lean toward a DC9-10 and a DC9-30, and that would indicate Hughes Airwest ... and in anticipation of the follow-on question I will speculate that the DC9 operated LAX-TWF and the D9S operated SFO-TWF
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:05 pm

12. Lufthansa - 737
15. United
18. Bro, dfw, hou, sat

Last edited by Indelaware; Feb 16, 2015 at 4:24 pm Reason: added equipment type
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

5) How about Edmonton and Regina?

7) Based on the "similar yet different" I would lean toward a DC9-10 and a DC9-30, and that would indicate Hughes Airwest ... and in anticipation of the follow-on question I will speculate that the DC9 operated LAX-TWF and the D9S operated SFO-TWF
5) Alas, both Edmonton (YEG) and Regina (YQR) were not served by this flight.....

7) Correct....although Hughes Airwest operated LAX-TWF with a DC9-30 and SFO-TWF with a DC9-10.....but close enough! Here are the scheds....

RW 274: LAX 8:05a - 10:45a TWF
Op: Sat. only
Equip: D9S
Class of service: S
Meal: Breakfast

RW 370: SFO 9:00a - 11:30a TWF
Op: Sat. only
Equip: DC9
Class of service: S
Meal: Breakfast

Hughes Airwest was fond of claiming they served Sun Valley, ID, especially during the winter ski season.....but they did not.

All RW jet flights operated into Twin Falls instead and passengers were then shuttled to Sun Valley via U.S. 93 and Idaho State Route 75.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2015 at 7:14 pm Reason: wordsmithing, as usual
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
12. Lufthansa - 737
15. United
18. Bro, dfw, hou, sat
Correct on all counts......and it's interesting to note that Ozark served Brownsville, Texas at one point with DC9-30s with STL-SAT-BRO and STL-DFW-BRO routings.

12) The Lufthansa ad went on to say....

"The plane is the Boeing 737, a new short-range jet. And at this date it might be hard to believe that it almost wasn't built at all."

"If it weren't for Lufthansa, it probably wouldn't have been."

"We'd asked Boeing to build a short-range jet. (We even suggested some specifications.) Then, when they showed the design to us - and other airlines - we were the first one who agreed to buy it. It was only after our 21-plane order that Boeing went ahead with production."

The years have flown by, so to speak, and the original 737 is long gone from the Lufthansa fleet

But LH still operates the B737-300 and yours truly got to fly on board one this past August from Geneva to Frankfurt in what passes for business class in Europe (which really wasn't too bad). And I think it won't be too much longer before the 737 is no longer operated by Lufthansa thus bringing yet another interesting era in aviation to a close.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 16, 2015 at 7:05 pm Reason: additional info
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
13) Name the airline whose ad began with this statement: "WE NEVER FORGET YOU HAVE A CHOICE." And here's a hint: seats in the first class section of this air carrier's intercontinental aircraft were called "Skylounger" seats.

I don't know about the slogan, but I do remember British Caledonian used to refer to its First Class seats as Sky Loungers. I have one of their First Class menus from the DC-10 service to Houston. They served up quite a nice meal.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13) Name the airline whose ad began with this statement: "WE NEVER FORGET YOU HAVE A CHOICE." And here's a hint: seats in the first class section of this air carrier's intercontinental aircraft were called "Skylounger" seats.

I don't know about the slogan, but I do remember British Caledonian used to refer to its First Class seats as Sky Loungers. I have one of their First Class menus from the DC-10 service to Houston. They served up quite a nice meal.
13) Correct! BCal was flying 16 flights a week to London Gatwick from the U.S. at this time with service from Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston and St. Louis. I remember seeing one of their DC-10-30s at IAH back in the day.

And :-: Happy Mardi Gras :-:, everyone! We are now off to an afternoon parade here in LFT on Fat Tuesday!

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 18, 2015 at 7:03 am Reason: added LGW
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
19) In the summer of 1983, what was the westernmost destination in the U.S. served by Ozark?

I remember Ozark serving San Diego with MD80s in its new livery. I'm not sure on the exact timeline but as Ozark was absorbed into TWA in the mid-80s, San Diego in '83 seems like a good choice. Prior to that, I'd say Denver would have been the pick.

24) In the fall of 1994, two airlines were operating jet service into Rochester, MN (RST). Each air carrier operated one type of aircraft into RST. Name both airlines and the respective equipment they were flying into Rochester.

Well, Northwest for sure. I believe the other carrier was American, coming up from O'Hare. As to aircraft, sheesh! Let's go with a DC-9-30 for Northwest and an MD80 for American.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA
Lots of old British Caley ads here, ending with that slogan.

http://www.british-caledonian.com/Advertising.html

There's even an ad for the sale of old Bristol Britannias !
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
1) You are in Richmond, VA and need to travel to Los Angeles. There is only one daily direct flight and this service makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and the intermediate stop.
one of my earliest mileage runs (well, technically part of a segment run) was a BAL-RIC-BAL turn on a UA 72S in 1984; as I recall, those were tag-ons to LAX-CLE-BAL and return

obviously LAX-BAL never saw a 72S, but when I took my first post-college job in LA (in July 1976) I flew BAL-LAX on a UA DC-8 ... that particular morning flight (UA 63) originated BAL , but I'll guess that we are looking for the combination: United, DC-8, RIC-BAL-LAX

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 18, 2015 at 9:08 am Reason: use the correct code for Baltimore (it didn't change to BWI until the mid-80s)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19) In the summer of 1983, what was the westernmost destination in the U.S. served by Ozark?

I remember Ozark serving San Diego with MD80s in its new livery. I'm not sure on the exact timeline but as Ozark was absorbed into TWA in the mid-80s, San Diego in '83 seems like a good choice. Prior to that, I'd say Denver would have been the pick.

24) In the fall of 1994, two airlines were operating jet service into Rochester, MN (RST). Each air carrier operated one type of aircraft into RST. Name both airlines and the respective equipment they were flying into Rochester.

Well, Northwest for sure. I believe the other carrier was American, coming up from O'Hare. As to aircraft, sheesh! Let's go with a DC-9-30 for Northwest and an MD80 for American.
19) Correct! Back in the early 80's, Ozark was operating operating one daily round trip flight with a routing of Indianapolis (IND) - St. Louis (STL) - San Diego (SAN).

24) American and Northwest are correct! At this time, NW was operating all service into Rochester with DC9-30s while AA was operating all of its flights into RST with the Fokker F100.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Lots of old British Caley ads here, ending with that slogan.

http://www.british-caledonian.com/Advertising.html

There's even an ad for the sale of old Bristol Britannias !
Very interesting and many thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5: AC D9S, Victoria (YYJ) to Toronto (YYZ) with two intermediate stops

YYC, YEG, YWG, and YQR have been eliminated ... apparently, both WHBM and I initially figured that Vancouver (YVR) was too obvious a guess, but I really don't recall any other large or moderate-size Canadian city with nonstop jet service from YYJ in this time frame, and I can only think of one other in the prairie provinces that might have been an intermediate destination on this flight

so I'll posit YVR for the first stop, and Saskatoon (YXE) for the second
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one of my earliest mileage runs (well, technically part of a segment run) was a BAL-RIC-BAL turn on a UA 72S in 1984; as I recall, those were tag-ons to LAX-CLE-BAL and return

obviously LAX-BAL never saw a 72S, but when I took my first post-college job in LA (in July 1976) I flew BAL-LAX on a UA DC-8 ... that particular morning flight (UA 63) originated BAL , but I'll guess that we are looking for the combination: United, DC-8, RIC-BAL-LAX
1) United with DC-8 service is correct.....specifically the stretched Super DC-8-61 and the flight was round trip. However, Baltimore was not the intermediate stop. Here are the complete scheds....

UA 59: Richmond (RIC) 10:35a - 11:15a Washington Dulles (IAD) 11:45a - 2:20p Los Angeles (LAX) 3:00p - 4:04p San Francisco (SFO)
Op: Daily
Equip: D8S

UA 54: Los Angeles (LAX) 12:45p - 8:25p Washington Dulles (IAD) 8:55p - 9:35p Richmond (RIC)
Equip: D8S

It appears that in terms of passenger capacity, the stretch 8 was largest aircraft ever to serve Richmond with scheduled flights.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5: AC D9S, Victoria (YYJ) to Toronto (YYZ) with two intermediate stops

YYC, YEG, YWG, and YQR have been eliminated ... apparently, both WHBM and I initially figured that Vancouver (YVR) was too obvious a guess, but I really don't recall any other large or moderate-size Canadian city with nonstop jet service from YYJ in this time frame, and I can only think of one other in the prairie provinces that might have been an intermediate destination on this flight

so I'll posit YVR for the first stop, and Saskatoon (YXE) for the second
5) Yep, not too many other en route stops left to choose from, were there? This flight was also somewhat of a milk run although a couple of the segments were a bit lengthy. Here's the complete sched.....

AC 104: Victoria (YYJ) 8:05a - 8:25a Vancouver (YVR) 8:55a - 12:40p Saskatoon (YXE) 1:05p - 5:00p Toronto (YYZ) 5:35p - 6:25p Ottawa (YOW) 6:45p - 7:15p Montreal (YUL)
Equip: D9S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.