Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I think this would be Guyana Airways, who were the only operator of the Tu154 in The Americas at the time, coming in from Georgetown. They got a new aircraft early in 1986, which after a few years was disposed to Cubana, and later went back to Russia, where it has trickled through a few secondary operators. Last heard of in Krasnoyarsk only a few years ago, so it might still be flying. You would think that Cubana would have been well placed to support this one-aircraft operation, but bizarrely this was done by Tarom of Romania, who had also provided a loan aircraft the previous year fully painted up in Guyana colours.

** Aha. Beaten to it above **
Ah, but your commentary is greatly appreciated as always, sir!

It has been reported that the other Tu154 previously operated by Guyana Airways (registration YR-TPJ) crashed in Bucharest, Romania in 1989.

Guyana Airways also operated a number of different Boeing 707 models during its existence, including the B707-123B, B707-321B, B707-323B and B707-344B. Other aircraft in their fleet included the Boeing 737-200, Hawker Siddeley HS 748, Lockheed L-188 Electra and de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter. I believe a subsequent version of the airline, Guyana Air 2000, also operated Airbus A300B4 and Boeing 757-200 equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 15, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reason: name correction
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA
Here's one of the loan Tarom Tu154-B aircraft at Miami in 1985. One (TPK) came initially, then was changed for another (TPJ) when a major check was due. Guyana Airways titles and tail logo, but the Tarom cheatline. TPJ was indeed later lost at Bucharest on a training flight simulating engine failure at takeoff.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Guyan...58c740b878fbb5

and here's Guyana's own Tu154-M aircraft (different engines, look closely eg at the intake or the centre engine exhaust), from early 1986 to late 1988

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Guyan...58c740b878fbb5

Romania had got into significantly hard times at this period, and leasing their airliner fleet out was one contribution. They also had a large BAC One-Eleven fleet, which was part of a manufacturing transfer agreement where the UK production line was progressively moved over to Romania in the 1980s, although the build rate never really got going beyond about one aircraft a year, they took most of the decade to build just 9 aircraft, and these were leased out, with crews, to various operators across Europe, in particular to a very young startup called - Ryanair. These came with pilots, and it was such a prestige posting to work in The West that most of those who came were test pilots from the factory. Their flying skills were first class but their English left much to be desired, and all announcements on Ryanair short of an emergency were given by the cabin crew. Pity poor ATC. I wonder how Miami Tower coped. There were also tales that they were given western currency for hotels in Britain/Ireland, but kept the money and slept in the aircraft overnight.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 15, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
here in the DC area we are looking at 5-8 inches of snow Mon night into Tues

2) This air carrier was operating daily direct 747 service from Pittsburgh to LAX. One intermediate stop was made en route. Name the airline and identify the stop.
how about United via ORD ... I want to say it was a late morning departure because I'm pretty sure it was the turnaround of UA118, the LAX-ORD redeye (my second 747 trip, in Sep 77) that continued to PIT

4) CP Air was operating three daily nonstop flights between Vancouver and Toronto at this time. Each flight was operated with a different aircraft type. Name all three types.
how about a standard DC-8, a 747, and a DC-10-30
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
10) This airline was operating a classic milk run flight from Indianapolis to New York JFK. The service was operated six days a week, departed IND at 8:00am, arrived JFK at 2:26pm and made six stops en route. Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops.
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I vividly remember boarding an eastbound flight from IND at that hour in 1976. It was Allegheny to CAK, continuing to PIT. Other stops? I don't know but I'll guess MDT, PHL, AVP, ABE.
10) Allegheny (AL) is correct! And Pittsburgh was one of the six stops. In fact, PIT was stop #3 on the route.

However, CAK, MDT, PHL, AVP and ABE are all incorrect. And we are also still seeking the aircraft type here.
well there are only two choices for the jet, so I'll go with the one I always preferred ... a BAC 1-11 ... operating via:
  1. Dayton
  2. Columbus
  3. Pittsburgh
  4. Elmira
  5. Ithaca
  6. Utica
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
how about United via ORD ... I want to say it was a late morning departure because I'm pretty sure it was the turnaround of UA118, the LAX-ORD redeye (my second 747 trip, in Sep 77) that continued to PIT

how about a standard DC-8, a 747, and a DC-10-30
2) Correct! Here's the westbound sched.....

UA 107: PIT 11:20a - 11:49a ORD 1:00p - 3:15p LAX
Op: Daily
Equip: 747

And here is a bonus quiz item:

26) Besides United, another airline was also operating daily wide body service from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles at this time and this flight made an intermediate stop en route as well. This flight departed PIT 35 minutes before the United 747 flight and arrived at LAX over an hour earlier than the UA flight. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and intermediate stop. ANSWERED - TWA with L-1011 service, PIT-ORD-LAX

4) DC-8: Incorrect.

B747: Correct!

DC-10-30: Incorrect.

Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 22, 2015 at 8:22 am
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4: the only other jets in the CP fleet that come to mind would be a Stretch 8 and a 737-200

26: TWA L-1011 via St Louis
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well there are only two choices for the jet, so I'll go with the one I always preferred ... a BAC 1-11 ... operating via:
  1. Dayton Correct
  2. Columbus - Incorrect
  3. Pittsburgh - Already ID'd as being correct
  4. Elmira - Incorrect
  5. Ithaca - Correct
  6. Utica - Correct
10) Allegheny with a BAC One-Eleven is correct! However, the routing was just a bit different as you can see above.....
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4: the only other jets in the CP fleet that come to mind would be a Stretch 8 and a 737-200 Well, both the D8S and 73S were not being flown nonstop between YVR and YYZ at this time. So there were two more aircraft types being operated by CP in early 1976......

26: TWA L-1011 via St Louis
26) TWA operating a Lockheed L-1011 TriStar is correct!

However, this flight did not stop in St. Louis (STL).......

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 15, 2015 at 3:55 pm Reason: grammar & spelling
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10: the other stops would have been Cleveland (CLE) and Williamsport (IPT)

I flew various portions of this milk run during my student days:
Jun 75 AL 540 ITH-UCA-JFK, N1136J
Nov 75 AL 540 PIT-IPT-ITH, N1544
Dec 75 AL 538 ORD-DAY-CLE (overflew IND due to fog), N1132J

26: Phoenix?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10: the other stops would have been Cleveland (CLE) and Williamsport (IPT)

I flew various portions of this milk run during my student days:
Jun 75 AL 540 ITH-UCA-JFK, N1136J
Nov 75 AL 540 PIT-IPT-ITH, N1544
Dec 75 AL 538 ORD-DAY-CLE (overflew IND due to fog), N1132J

26: Phoenix? Nope.....
10) Correct! Here's the sched....

AL 540: Indianapolis (IND) 8:00a - 8:30a Dayton (DAY) 8:50a - 9:30a Cleveland (CLE) 9:50a - 10:24a Pittsburgh (PIT) 10:55a - 11:41a Williamsport (IPT) 11:59a - 12:27p Ithaca (ITH) 12:47p - 1:15p Utica (UCA) 1:35p - 2:36p New York (JFK)
Op: AL 540 originated at CLE on Sundays (IND-DAY-CLE daily except Sun.)
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA
5) This airline was operating the only direct service from Victoria, B.C. to Toronto. Two intermediate stops were made en route and the flight was operated daily. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and both stops.
Air Canada DC9-30, stopping at Calgary and Winnipeg ?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Air Canada DC9-30, stopping at Calgary and Winnipeg ?
5) Air Canada operating a DC9-30 is correct!

However, this flight did not stop in either Calgary (YYC) or Winnipeg (YWG).....
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
As one who can appreciate more than most the amount of time required to research and formulate these questions, I'd just like to start by offering a big Thank You! to jlemon for coming up with this impressive collection of questions. I';ve got just enough time to have a go at one of them...

22. In the winter of 1991, this airline was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Vail, Colorado via Eagle County Airport (EGE) to both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). And this same air carrier was also flying nonstop five days a week to a third destination. Identify the airline and this third destination.

I seem to recall this being American Airlines. It stood out at the time because normally I would've figured AA to serve EGE from its traditional bases at DFW and ORD. So, assuming I've guessed correctly, I would say the other city AA served EGE from would likely have been DFW.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As one who can appreciate more than most the amount of time required to research and formulate these questions, I'd just like to start by offering a big Thank You! to jlemon for coming up with this impressive collection of questions. I';ve got just enough time to have a go at one of them...

22. In the winter of 1991, this airline was operating nonstop jet service once a week from Vail, Colorado via Eagle County Airport (EGE) to both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). And this same air carrier was also flying nonstop five days a week to a third destination. Identify the airline and this third destination.

I seem to recall this being American Airlines. It stood out at the time because normally I would've figured AA to serve EGE from its traditional bases at DFW and ORD. So, assuming I've guessed correctly, I would say the other city AA served EGE from would likely have been DFW.
22) An excellent guess, sir! However, we are looking for another airline here.....and DFW is not the third destination we are looking for as well.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Hmm... well, if it's not AA, I'm going to go with United. UA also operated a flight up from Denver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.