Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well.....speaking of Canada.....

I think it's time for one more bonus quiz item. And we shall call this one the :-: Seat 2A Special :-:.

It's 1976 and on this particular date, you are in Fairbanks, Alaska where you've just completed a project as a consultant. You have been assisted in this work by a colleague and very good friend who is a resident of Vancouver, B.C. He actually drove up to Fairbanks in his new Land Rover and now it's time for him to return to that beautiful city in B.C. and home.

"So", he says to you, "you up for a little drive down the Alaska Highway? I've checked the weather and it is actually forecast to be fairly benign for the next week or so....no blizzards or other exciting conditions, it appears." Ah, a road trip, you think. Why not? Then the phone rings. It's concerning a possible new project in Honolulu; however, the job has not quite firmed up yet and would you be available on fairly short notice to fly to HNL for a meeting if it does? Well, of course.

So you explain the situation to him. "I may have to jump on a plane and fly to Honolulu. Now we both know that CP Air has daily 747 service plus four Super DC8 flights a week from Vancouver. So the trick will be getting to YVR should I need to bail out during our road trip and fly to Vancouver in order to catch a flight to HNL."

You then ascertain there are no less than nine airports which have scheduled jet service on your general route of travel by vehicle from Fairbanks via the most direct route on the Alaska Highway in the Yukon Territory and British Columbia and then via the main provincial route in B.C. on down to Vancouver.

So here's the quiz item: identify all nine airports where you can conveniently catch a direct flight to Vancouver should you need to do so as well as the airline that operated each of these flights and the jet aircraft type you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm Reason: wordsmithing, as usual....
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
So who else is traveling of late? JL and Kate are off to the Caribbean soon, jrl767 is LA bound tonight, and it wouldn't surprise me if WHBM has an upcoming date on a Citijet BAe-146 in the not so distant future. Anyone else hittin' the road?
We are off to STX tomorrow - if we make it out of ORD in the snow!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by MADPhil
We are off to STX tomorrow - if we make it out of ORD in the snow!
Good luck! This time next week, we should be on the ferry from St. Thomas to the west end of Tortola where we will then pick up a catamaran for our sailing trip. I suspect rum drinks will be pleasantly called for several times!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
So who else is traveling of late? JL and Kate are off to the Caribbean soon, jrl767 is LA bound tonight, and it wouldn't surprise me if WHBM has an upcoming date on a Citijet BAe-146 in the not so distant future. Anyone else hittin' the road?
I seem to have been doing a whole string of BA E190 trips from LCY to Edinburgh recently. Opportunities for all those BA breakfast sausages ! I somehow see another getting lined up on Monday. The last one was at less than 24 hours notice. It was snowing in Edinburgh (a "walk everywhere" inner city with cobbled streets and San Francisco-style gradients, and me with professional leather-sole office shoes !)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:31 pm

I'm planning a PWM-EWR-MCI-DEN-SLC-LAX-PHX trip - entirely on non-Boeing, non-Airbus equipment. I've grown tired of people whining about "regional" equipment rather than realizing that any airborne seat is a pleasure over sitting still!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I seem to have been doing a whole string of BA E190 trips from LCY to Edinburgh recently. Opportunities for all those BA breakfast sausages ! I somehow see another getting lined up on Monday. The last one was at less than 24 hours notice. It was snowing in Edinburgh (a "walk everywhere" inner city with cobbled streets and San Francisco-style gradients, and me with professional leather-sole office shoes !)
I've never flown on an E190 but would very much like to do so. I'll bet it's a comfortable ride on the flight from LCY to EDI. And, of course, this discussion engenders yet another bonus question:

In early 2007, if one wanted to travel from London City Airport to Edinburgh, what airline would you be flying on and on board what kind of aircraft? And please note you would have a choice of air carriers and equipment on the LCY-EDI route at this time.

As for the shoe situation, perhaps a pair of stylish hiking boots are in order?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
In early 2007, if one wanted to travel from London City Airport to Edinburgh, what airline would you be flying on and on board what kind of aircraft? And please note you would have a choice of air carriers and equipment on the LCY-EDI route at this time.
I'll be exempt from this one for a while, as I was one of the regulars then - on just one of those carriers.

Edinburgh is very familiar to me, I was at university there and know every back street. If you wonder what little short cut had me slipping and sliding, in the dark, down those snowy and indeed icy cobbles in a biting wind early one evening two weeks ago, it's here (on a balmy sunny day ).

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.9...,,0,11.42&z=17
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
while clearing out many years' worth of accumulated stuff from my mom's house over the last several months, I came across the Nov 15, 1961 insert to the Los Angeles Times titled
"#1 World Way West -- The Story of the New Los Angeles International Airport" ... there is likely some Quiz fodder in here

Seat 2A and I spent a couple hours at breakfast and the Southern California Airline Memorabilia Show in Long Beach this morning (Sat 24 Jan) ... even though I've been an airline & airliner geek since about age 4, and an avid flyer since I started college, I had never ventured to one of these exhibitions ... the volume of merchandise was pretty amazing, as were the numbers of both sellers and viewers
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a bonus quiz item: In the late summer of 1994, only one airline was operating nonstop service between Omaha and New York City with one round trip flight operated on weekdays. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the airport served in the New York City area.

Plus, for bonus points, name the five other airlines that were operating direct one stop, no change of plane service from three different New York City area airports (one of which was not JFK) to Omaha.
Time to close out several partially answered quiz items, I think....

Midwest Express (YX) was correctly identified by Indelaware as operating the only nonstop service between Omaha and the New York City area at this time. A weekday roundtrip was flown by YX with a DC9-10 on round trip routing of OMA-EWR. Midwest Express was also operating a pair of round trip flights on an OMA-MKE-EWR routing, also with DC9-10 equipment.

The five other airlines that were operating one stop service from the New York City area to Omaha in the late summer of 1994 were American, Continental, Northwest, TWA and United. And the American flight originated at Westchester County/White Plains (HPN). Here are the scheds....

AA 2015: HPN-ORD-OMA
Op: Daily
Equip: Fokker 100

CO 1441: EWR-MCI-OMA
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: Boeing 737-300

CO 1459: EWR-MCI-OMA
Op: Daily except Saturdays
Equip: McDonnell Douglas DC9-30
Note: CO 1459 was operated on Saturdays with a B737-300

NW 505: LGA-MSP-OMA
Op: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Equip: Boeing 727-200
Note: On Sundays, NW 505 had a scheduled equipment change from a DC9-30 to a B727-200 at MSP

NW 775: EWR-MSP-OMA
Equip: McDonnell Douglas DC9-30

TW 455: EWR-STL-OMA
Op: Daily

UA 633: LGA-ORD-OMA
Note: On Saturdays, UA 633 had a scheduled equipment change from a B737-300 to a B727-200 at ORD

As previously mentioned, Continental was also operating a pair of two stop direct flights (both via CLE and MDW) at this time from LGA to OMA. One of these CO flights continued on to DEN and SFO. Both flights were operated with B737-300 equipment.

So add it all up and combined, AA, CO, NW, TW, UA and YX were operating a total of twelve flights on weekdays from the NYC area to Omaha.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 28, 2015 at 8:42 am Reason: correction & additional info
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And speaking of Pasco......here's a bonus quiz item:

In the late summer of 1994, two airlines were operating jet service into PSC. One airline flew two different jet types into the airport and the other air carrier only operated one type of jet equipment. Identify both airlines, the jet aircraft they flew into Pasco and for bonus points, the respective jet routes flown by each air carrier from PSC. Partially answered by jrl767 - Delta with 72S & 733 service into PSC nonstop from SLC & GEG
The other airline was Horizon Air which was operating most of its SEA-PSC service with DHC-8 Dash 8 turboprop aircraft. However, QX was also operating one flight on the route at this time with a Fokker F28 Fellowship.

Just a pair of unanswered quiz items remain......please see posts #6796 and #6801 above.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 27, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:01 am

Hello all. Now I believe our good friend jlemon is off to various Caribbean points, namely :

Our destination will be the west end of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands (reached via ferry boat from St. Thomas) ... we will then sail over to Virgin Gorda.
So, an OTAAQ question from that interesting aviation history locale.

In 1975-78, what 4-radial engined aircraft was operating scheduled flights linking St Croix, St Thomas and the British Virgin Islands.

And a bonus, what similar 4-engined aircraft had previously held down these runs in the late 1960s ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:12 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello all. Now I believe our good friend jlemon is off to various Caribbean points, namely :
Not quite yet! We shall be departing this Friday morning.....
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, an OTAAQ question from that interesting aviation history locale.

In 1975-78, what 4-radial engined aircraft was operating scheduled flights linking St Croix, St Thomas and the British Virgin Islands.

And a bonus, what similar 4-engined aircraft had previously held down these runs in the late 1960s ?
I'll guess this may have been the Riley Turbo Skyliner which was a conversion of the de Havilland DH 114 Heron. And the latter just might be the previous similar four engine aircraft flying the same routes in the late 60's. The airline? Puerto Rico International Airlines, known as Prinair.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
PQ was operating the regular Heron on SJU-STT in Dec 1979 ... I don't have access to my log with the registration at the moment
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:28 pm

what 4-radial engined aircraft
I'll guess this may have been the Riley Turbo Skyliner which was a conversion of the de Havilland DH 114 Heron. And the latter just might be the previous similar four engine aircraft flying the same routes in the late 60's. The airline? Puerto Rico International Airlines, known as Prinair.
Ah yes, the operators of what was once the largest Heron fleet in the world, each aircraft painted a different colour.

However, the little De Havilland Gypsy engines of the Heron were not radials, nor were the Lycomings of its Riley conversion so I'm afraid for this question we'll need to have another go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.