Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:21 am

To make it easier - and a test of airliner knowledge rather than a test of knowledge of countries where Arabic is an official language - following the questions, I have added a list of the 25 countries at the bottom of post 6526.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
time to weigh in on #2 ... I don't think any US carrier currently serves either Lebanon or Syria, but I'm reasonably certain that Pan Am flew to Beirut and Damascus (one or both of these cities may have seen TWA Connies and/or 707s as well)
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Indelaware
TWA did indeed serve both Dharan (Saudi Arabia) as well as Basra (Iraq). Additionally, TWA also served Riyadh (Saudi Arabia).

TWA was not, however, the only U.S. serving either Saudi Arabia or Iraq. All three cities mentioned were also served by Pan Am.

You've come up with two; there are an amazing ten more countries. Any guesses?

You are correct, Icecat, with Qatar and the UAE; these are two of the four countries which satisfy this question. However, as your answer above, Iraq is not one of them.

With QR one can fly ARN-DOH-JFK/IAD. With DY & EK both fly ARN-DXB and EK & UA both fly from DXB to various points in the US. While one can fly IA ARN-BGW, there is presently no airline which flies non-stop from BGW (nor any other city in Iraq for that matter) to the United States.

There remain two other countries. Hint: they are on different continents from one another. Flying through one country would require an interline connection while flying through the other country would be an online connection.
I guess I just didn't understand your question. For one, no one in their right mind would backtrack from ARN to DOH or DXB in order to fly to the states.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
this is FT ... this is the airline/airliner enthusiasts' thread ... how those equate to "in their right mind" for any of us escapes me

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
time to weigh in on #2 ... I don't think any US carrier currently serves either Lebanon or Syria, but I'm reasonably certain that Pan Am flew to Beirut and Damascus (one or both of these cities may have seen TWA Connies and/or 707s as well)
Correct! Neither Lebanon nor Syria are currently served by U.S. carriers.
Both Pan Am & TWA have served Beirut while Pan Am served Damascus.

Eight more to go in this category.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Icecat
For one, no one in their right mind would backtrack from ARN to DOH or DXB in order to fly to the states.
As a matter of fact, I did something similar (SEA-FRA via DXB) just last year... The return trip was LHR-DXB-SEA.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:31 pm

I guess I just didn't understand your question. For one, no one in their right mind would backtrack from ARN to DOH or DXB in order to fly to the states.
There are two types of people. Those who travel only to get places and those travel in order to travel. Who is to say which type is in their right minds?

For other enthusiasts, it is merely a question of one's ability to put different parts of the global aviation maps together.

That said, while ARN-DXB-JFK is 151% longer than the distance ARN-JFK, one of the remaining possible connecting points increases the distance by less than 50% of the nonstop while the other remaining connecting point increases the distance by between 50% and 100%.

To put that in perspective, BOS-IAD-BUF is 76% longer than BOS-BUF. I imagine that there are many who take this connection.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'll take a stab at three more of these countries once served by U.S. airlines...

1. Algeria: TWA served Algiers
2. Egypt: TWA served Cairo. I don't believe Pan Am did
3. Jordan: I'm going to guess Pan Am to Amman, given that King Hussein married Najeeb Halaby's daughter
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. Algeria: TWA served Algiers
2. Egypt: TWA served Cairo. I don't believe Pan Am did
3. Jordan: I'm going to guess Pan Am to Amman, given that King Hussein married Najeeb Halaby's daughter
Algeria: You are correct with TW to Algiers.
Egypt: You are also correct with TW to Cairo. Pan Am didn't fly there; however, there is third U.S. carrier which did.
Jordan: You are correct with Amman, but Pan Am never flew there (or elsewhere in Jordan): a different U.S. carrier did, but only after the marriage.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. From Arlanda airport, to which of the subject countries can one presently fly non-stop and then connect to a non-stop flight to the U.S., regardless of connection length, visa requirements, or operator?
Qatar and United Arab Emirates seems to be the most logical choices.
... With QR one can fly ARN-DOH-JFK/IAD. With DY & EK both fly ARN-DXB and EK & UA both fly from DXB to various points in the US. ... ... Two more countries remain, each on a different continent -- one requiring an online connection and the other an interline connection.
... one of the remaining possible connecting points increases the distance by less than 50% of the nonstop while the other remaining connecting point increases the distance by between 50% and 100%. ...
for the shorter routing, the number of feasible options in north Africa is rather small, so herewith a guess that it's Royal Air Maroc thru either Casablanca or Rabat ...

as for Asia, how about SAS via Tel Aviv, connecting to El Al or Delta or United?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

for the shorter routing, the number of feasible options in north Africa is rather small, so herewith a guess that it's Royal Air Maroc thru either Casablanca or Rabat ...

as for Asia, how about SAS via Tel Aviv, connecting to El Al or Delta or United?
Correct!

ARN-CMN-JFK on AT
ARN-TLV (on either SK or DY) connecting to TLV-US (on LY, DL, UA or US)
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:15 am

2. Which of these countries do not presently have such service but have been served by U.S. airlines in the past? Name the U.S. airline(s) which provided service. Partially answered:
Algeria (TW)
Egypt (TW & ???)
Jordan (which airline???)
Iraq (PA & TW)
Lebanon (PA & TW)
Saudi Arabia (PA & TW)
Syria (PA)
Five more countries remain.

Hint: The 25 countries the librarian tells you have Arabic as an official language are:
1. Algeria
2. Bahrain
3. Chad
4. Comoros
5. Djibouti
6. Egypt
7. Eritrea
8. Iraq
9. Israel
10. Jordan
11. Kuwait
12. Lebanon
13. Libya
14. Mauritania
15. Morocco
16. Oman
17. Palestine
18. Qatar
19. Saudi Arabia
20. Somalia
21. Sudan
22. Syria
23. Tunisia
24. United Arab Emirates
25. Yemen
I think TWA flew to both TUN and TIP in the 1950s, on their North African milk run. I don't think PA ever served either country.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wasn't DL operating to Amman (AMM) for a while?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:16 am

wasn't DL operating to Amman (AMM) for a while?
Yes, it was. And I flew it once. Sure beat the competition at the time; thankfully, RJ has come a long way since.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I think TWA flew to both TUN and TIP in the 1950s, on their North African milk run. I don't think PA ever served either country.
Correct!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.