Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA
In the 1980s, another airline was offering a very well regarded inflight service also known as Golden Falcon Service. Which airline was it?

This was Gulf Air (of Bahrain)

It's your day, J! Gulf Air it was with dining for four at a center table aboard its L-1011s. Even so, I would rather have flown one of their VC10s...
I'll just add that although Gulf Air is nowadays the airline of Bahrain, back in the 1980s this was not so, for it was jointly owned by the various states along the Gulf, Bahrain, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and Oman, and operated non-stop flights from all these points to London on, initially, ex-BOAC VC10s, and later on Tristars, of which they built up quite a fleet. The aircraft were all registered at their legal base in Oman. It was only around 1990 that little upstart Emirates began to challenge seriously the dominance of Gulf Air out of Dubai, followed by the rest which have now spawned Qatar AW, Etihad, and Oman Air. In fact, until the 1970s their fleet was all registered in the UK, their first One-Elevens as well as predecessor aircraft.

There's a nice little aircraft museum in Sharjah, just over from Dubai, which has some classic small aircraft and artefacts from Gulf's early days.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
52. It appears Braniff did not initiate new BAC One-Eleven jet service into Fort Smith, Shreveport, New Orleans and other destinations until later in 1965, perhaps in the fall.

65. There is a photo of a BAe 146-100 with "Sunworld" on the tail at Ontario (ONT) on airliners.net. The aircraft is not in Sunworld's livery.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
64. Name ten U.S. airlines that have offered Boeing 747 service between the continental U.S. and Hawaii.

Well, since I lived in Hawaii at one point while working in the airline business, I'll have a go at this one.....and I think there may have actually been eleven U.S. air carriers. Plus, I'll make some guesses concerning the specific 747 models flown by each airline:

1) American (B747-100)

2) America West (B747-200?)

3) Braniff International (B747-100 )

4) Continental (B747-100 and perhaps B747-200)

5) Delta (operating former NW B747-400 aircraft ATL-HNL)

6) Northwest (B747-100 and perhaps B747-200)

7) Pan Am (B747-100 and perhaps B747-200)

8) The Hawaii Express (B747-200?)

9) Transamerica (B747-100?)

10) TWA (B747-100)

11) United (B747-100 and B747-400)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
64. Name ten U.S. airlines that have offered Boeing 747 service between the continental U.S. and Hawaii.

Well, since I lived in Hawaii at one point while working in the airline business, I'll have a go at this one.....and I think there may have actually been eleven U.S. air carriers. Plus, I'll make some guesses concerning the specific 747 models flown by each airline:

1) American (B747-100)

2) America West (B747-200?) Yep - ex-KLM -206s

3) Braniff International (B747-100 )

4) Continental (B747-100 and perhaps B747-200) CO had some ex-Alitalia -243s and some ex-Qantas 238s, most if not all by way of People Express

5) Delta (operating former NW B747-400 aircraft ATL-HNL)

6) Northwest (B747-100 and perhaps B747-200)

7) Pan Am (B747-100 and perhaps B747-200)

8) The Hawaii Express (B747-200?) Ex- Alitalia -143 I-DEMA

9) Transamerica (B747-100?) It was a -271

10) TWA (B747-100) TWA did acquire a few assorted -200s, though whether they flew to HNL is unknown

11) United (B747-100 and B747-400) United had some -222s and some ex-Qantas -238s. I flew to HNL once on the latter

Yes! jlemon, You Da Man!! I done fergot about Transamerica. Good call!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

51. Only one airline flies nonstop between Buffalo and Pittsburgh. It operates two different types of aircraft on the route. Anyone care to provide more detail?

Sounds like "Mainliner" aircraft, either piston or jet, as in The Friendly Skies of United Air Lines.

Equipment was most likely Boeing 727-100 and Douglas DC-6 or DC-6B.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
51. Only one airline flies nonstop between Buffalo and Pittsburgh. It operates two different types of aircraft on the route. Anyone care to provide more detail?

Sounds like "Mainliner" aircraft, either piston or jet, as in The Friendly Skies of United Air Lines.
Equipment was most likely Boeing 727-100 and Douglas DC-6 or DC-6B.
Good call, JL. It was United with a DC-6 and... a Viscount.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
54. TWA’s not an airline we’ve often seen associated with mileage run questions on this thread, so how about this one for starters: In early 1965 TWA operated an 8 stop flight between Boston and Kansas City. It departed Boston each morning at 6:35am and arrived at Kansas City twelve hours later at 5:23pm. Breakfast, a snack and luncheon were served enroute. Can you identify the stops and the aircraft utilized?
Originally Posted by jrl767
TW began operating their DC-9-10 fleet ~1967, so this was doubtless one of their L-749 Constellation milk runs ... I can easily name eight candidate stops, but I'm willing to bet that only four or five are going to be correct ... let's try these:
  1. Hartford (BDL)
  2. New York (JFK)
  3. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  4. Columbus (CMH)
  5. Dayton (DAY)
  6. Indianapolis (IND)
  7. Chicago (ORD)
  8. St Louis (STL)
Not a bad start, J. The highlighted cities are correct. They are also in the correct order, so we're now looking to find the first four stops...
four stops for a TW Connie between BOS and PIT?!

how about Providence (PVD), LaGuardia (LGA), Allentown (ABE), and Harrisburg (MDT)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

how about Providence (PVD), LaGuardia (LGA), Allentown (ABE), and Harrisburg (MDT)

That is a very logical routing, J, and yet quite surprisingly none of those cities are correct. Care to have another go at it?

HINT: As of 1995 none of these four cities was being served by mainline TWA flights, but three of them were still served by either Trans World Express or Trans World Connection.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:15 pm

I think this is the quite longstanding TWA operation from Boston through Albany, Binghampton, Scranton and Williamsport to Pittsburgh. These always used to appear in all the older TWA timetables in smaller type with just a once daily service, back in the 1950s this was by a Martin 404, and earlier still with a TWA DC3, which made even more stops at places like Worcester MA, and then was the only TWA operation from Boston. I would guess this started as some CAB-licensed route, possibly for an air mail contract, and somehow allowed TWA to then start other operations from Boston, non-stopping these small intermediate places. Anyway, when TWA finished with Constellations that was the end of those points
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good call, JL. It was United with a DC-6 and... a Viscount.
It appears that 1965 was an interesting year for U.S. trunk air carriers in terms of the introduction of new jet equipment such as the BAC One-Eleven and Boeing 727-100. Toward the end of that year, the One-Eleven began showing up on Braniff International routes (as we have previously discussed) while the 727 made its appearance on such United routes as BUF-PIT (with continuing service to other destinations, of course). I can imagine the excitement of discerning passengers who were used to stepping on board a DC-6 and instead were treated to boarding a brand new British twin jet or fresh from the factory Boeing trijet.....

And getting back to Buffalo-Pittsburgh, I believe this was yet another legacy route inherited by UA following their acquisition of Capital Airlines.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time for several more wild guesses on a crisp, clear and cold Saturday morning in south Louisiana.....currently 48 degrees F with 39% humidity and gusty winds out of the north-northeast following the passage of a strong but dry Canadian cold front last evening.....and there is a very good possibility that we will experience our first frost of the season tomorrow morning.

43. Braniff operating nonstop Boeing 720 service HOU-DEN.

50. United flying a Douglas DC-6B nonstop OAK-DEN.

53. BWIA with Boeing 727-100 service twice a week KIN-SJU with BOAC operating a Viscount in association with BWIA with a daily flight on the same route.

And now to the yard work which will mainly consist of dealing with all of the leaves that have been blown off of our trees by the gusty winds.....

P.S. - Hope everyone had a safe and fun Halloween! We had a neighborhood party here complete with bonfire and it was quite nice to sip fine Margaux while visiting with everyone.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 1, 2014 at 10:05 am Reason: Happy Belated Halloween!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
68. If you've booked a seat in King Solomon Class, what airline would you be flying?
My choices would be Ethiopian or El Al. I'll go with El Al.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:38 pm

Sunworld it is! I remember hearing something about the BAe-146 operation but do you know if any 146s ever actually flew for Sunworld or were ever painted in its colors?
Yes they did

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sunwo...100/0002091/M/

They had two aircraft which came from Royal West Airlines. Both lasted for just a few months, one going as the other came, just around the time they were running out of cash. They were actually leased from British Aerospace's short-term leasing division; that's the BAe generic red/blue livery, with Sunworld titles added.

We could have done with a "sun world" moment here at London City a couple of days ago, where the evening flight peak was disrupted by real Charles Dickens/Sherlock Holmes movie low cloud/fog swirling around, mixed in with drizzling rain, leading to innumerable go-arounds overhead our house. The main diversion point at Southend ran out of stands so the unlucky remainder had to go to Gatwick. It's carried on like that, my lawn has been saturated for a month, goodness knows if I can cut it before the winter really sets in. I have to go over to Belfast in a few days, on the new Flybe Dash 8 operation from LCY, and the forecast looks sadly similar.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WHBM to the rescue!

54. TWA’s not an airline we’ve often seen associated with mileage run questions on this thread, so how about this one for starters: In early 1965 TWA operated an 8 stop flight between Boston and Kansas City. It departed Boston each morning at 6:35am and arrived at Kansas City twelve hours later at 5:23pm. Breakfast, a snack and luncheon would be served enroute. Can you identify the stops and the aircraft utilized?

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jrl767
Four stops for a TW Connie between BOS and PIT?!
Per WHBM: I think this is the quite longstanding TWA operation from Boston through Albany, Binghampton, Scranton and Williamsport to Pittsburgh. These always used to appear in all the older TWA timetables in smaller type with just a once daily service, back in the 1950s this was by a Martin 404, and earlier still with a TWA DC3, which made even more stops at places like Worcester MA, and then was the only TWA operation from Boston. I would guess this started as some CAB-licensed route, possibly for an air mail contract, and somehow allowed TWA to then start other operations from Boston, non-stopping these small intermediate places. Anyway, when TWA finished with Constellations that was the end of those points.

Nicely done, WHBM! As such, the entire routing was as follows:

Boston - Albany - Binghamton - Scranton - Williamsport - Pittsburgh - Columbus - Indianapolis - St. Louis - Kansas City
Thank you also for the excellent detail on Sunworld's BAe-146 operation. The 146 was always a favorite of mine and hopefully a few will still be in operation upon my return to Europe - whenever that might be...

By the way, I've finally come down out of a remote community in the Colorado foothills to spend the night in Colorado Springs. Tomorrow (Monday) I am bound for Durango with some rather inclement weather projected starting with snow in COS later this evening. I'll be driving along the Arkansas River from Canon City to Salida, then down the San Luis Valley to Del Norte before turning west along US 160 over Wolf Creek Pass and into Durango. HERE is the forecast for Wolf Creek...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Time for several more wild guesses on a crisp, clear and cold Saturday morning in south Louisiana.....currently 48 degrees F with 39% humidity and gusty winds out of the north-northeast following the passage of a strong but dry Canadian cold front last evening.....and there is a very good possibility that we will experience our first frost of the season tomorrow morning.

43. Only one nonstop flight per day is offered between Denver and Houston. Identify the airline and aircraft type that operate this flight.

Braniff operating nonstop Boeing 720 service HOU-DEN

Correct! For an added bonus, what color was the airplane most of the time?

50. Only one airline offers service of any type between Denver and Oakland. Thankfully for those in a hurry, that service is by way of a nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized on this daily flight.

United flying a Douglas DC-6B nonstop OAK-DEN.

That is, like, totally wild, man! But no - it was not United. However, the aircraft involved was a jet...

53. If you want to fly on a jet between Kingston, Jamaica and San Juan, PR only one airline fits the bill with twice weekly service (Tue/Thu). Which airline would this be and what type of jet would you be flying upon? For a cyber pat on the back, identify the only other airline and aircraft that offered nonstop flights on this route.

BWIA with Boeing 727-100 service twice a week KIN-SJU with BOAC operating a Viscount in association with BWIA with a daily flight on the same route.

BOAC operating a Viscount in association with BWIA is correct! However, we're looking for a different airline and aircraft type for the jet operated flight... Please guess again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.