Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... 1966
36. Three airlines offer nonstop service between Anchorage and Seattle. Two of these airlines operate the same type of aircraft on this route. Identify all three airlines and the respective aircraft types operated on this route.
36 - Pacific Northern (PN) and Northwest (NW) operated the Boeing 720B on SEA <--> ANC; Alaska (AS) flew the Convair 990

37. Who’d have thought you could make three stops between Seattle and Portland? Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.
37 - this was West Coast Airlines (WC), with none other than a DC-3; stops were Olympia WA, Aberdeen/Hoquiam WA, and Astoria/Seaside OR
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 1966 40. Six airlines operate four-engined airliners (including both jets and prop-jets) between San Diego and Los Angeles. Three of the six airlines operate two different types of four-engined aircraft on this route. Can you identify the airlines and their respective aircraft?
40 - I am reasonably confident of the six airlines; the only hangup is which of the last two actually flew the route with the two aircraft types:
  1. PSA: Electra
  2. Western: Electra, 720
  3. United: 720, DC8
  4. National: DC8
  5. Delta: DC8, 880
  6. American: 707, 990

for purposes of playing by the rules, I'm going to guess that AA only operated the 707 on LAX<-->SAN
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
45. These two airlines combined on a twice daily one-stop interchange flight between Denver and St. Louis. Identify the two airlines, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used.

This interchange service between DEN and STL was operated by Braniff International and Continental. The intermediate stop (and interchange point) was Kansas City (MKC). Continental aircraft were used on these interchange flights and the equipment was the Vickers Viscount 812 turboprop. BTW, Frontier was the competition operating STL-MKC-DEN flights as well as STL-DEN nonstops. By 1967, Frontier was flying Boeing 727-100 "Arrow-Jet" service on these routes. I also remember when FL proudly served Mateus wine on selected flights. Thus, I was introduced to red wine.....

This interchange service would eventually be discontinued. Braniff then served the STL-MKC route with BAC One-Eleven aircraft while Continental was operating a mix of Viscount and DC-9-10 equipment on the DEN-MKC route

Dang, JL, ain't you da man! Your answer could hardly be more thorough - or correct. Thank you.

P.S. By the time I was flying Frontier regularly in the late seventies, the wine offering had switched to Dos Hermanos
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
36. Three airlines offer nonstop service between Anchorage and Seattle. Two of these airlines operate the same type of aircraft on this route. Identify all three airlines and the respective aircraft types operated on this route.

Pacific Northern (PN) and Northwest (NW) operated the Boeing 720B on SEA <--> ANC; Alaska (AS) flew the Convair 990

You're close enough J that I'll save you the tap in. Pacific Northern and Northwest both operated 720s, though PN's was the non-turbofan powered variant.

As to Alaska, my referenced schedule shows a Convair 880. Indeed, I've had a hard time finding any schedules that indicate Alaska service with the 990 or even the 720s. For quite some time in the late sixties and early seventies Alaska only indicated the equipment used as "JET".

37. Who’d have thought you could make three stops between Seattle and Portland? Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops.

This was West Coast Airlines (WC), with none other than a DC-3; stops were Olympia WA, Aberdeen/Hoquiam WA, and Astoria/Seaside OR.

Spot on, J! This same flight even used to stop in Tacoma

40. Six airlines operate four-engined airliners (including both jets and prop-jets) between San Diego and Los Angeles. Three of the six airlines operate two different types of four-engined aircraft on this route. Can you identify the airlines and their respective aircraft?

I am reasonably confident of the six airlines; the only hangup is which of the last two actually flew the route with the two aircraft types:

1.PSA: Electra
2.Western: Electra, 720
3.United: 720, DC8
4.National: DC8
5.Delta: DC8, 880
6.American: 707, 990

Right on, J! Everything above is correct except that only three airlines operated two aircraft types. The extra in this case is Delta, which per my referenced schedule only operated the DC-8 on this route. My first ever flight aboard a DC-8-61 came aboard a Delta bird between San Diego and Los Angeles back in November 1973.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 24, 2014 at 10:05 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

39. There’s only one nonstop flight each day between San Francisco and San Diego, flown aboard an all-economy class configured aircraft. Please identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

46. (The miniliq special) This airline operated a nine stop service between Dallas and St. Louis with a propeller driven aircraft. Identify the airline, the intermediate stops and the aircraft used.
39. Well, I immediately thought of the Poor Sailors Airline (PSA) here....but then I thought again.

So let's go with the airline of the Friendly Skies: United. Aircraft type was probably a B727-100 operated in all "K" class. Years later in the late 80's, I flew round trip nonstop SFO-SAN on board a UA 72S.

46. I hope our man in the Crescent City will allow me to take a stab at this one!

This sure sounds like Texas-based Central Airlines operating a Douglas DC3 on the following classic milk run route: Dallas Love Field - Duncan, OK - Lawton/Ft. Sill, OK - Oklahoma City - Ponca City, OK - Tulsa - Fort Smith - Fayetteville, AR - Harrison, AR - Ft. Leonard Wood, MO - St. Louis.

Central was planning to introduce DC9s into their fleet which would have been their first jet equipment. However, before this could occur, Frontier acquired them. And FL would eventually operate Boeing 737-200 service into such small, former Central Airlines destinations as Fort Smith and Lawton.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

39. There’s only one nonstop flight each day between San Francisco and San Diego, flown aboard an all-economy class configured aircraft. Please identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

Well, I immediately thought of the Poor Sailors Airline (PSA) here....but then I thought again. So let's go with the airline of the Friendly Skies: United. Aircraft type was probably a B727-100 operated in all "K" class. Years later in the late 80's, I flew round trip nonstop SFO-SAN on board a UA 72S.

Correct-a-mundo, JL! Oddly enough, the only all-economy configured aircraft UI ever flew aboard United was a DC-8-62 between Seattle and Portland in June of 1979.

46. (The miniliq special) This airline operated a nine stop service between Dallas and St. Louis with a propeller driven aircraft. Identify the airline, the intermediate stops and the aircraft used.

I hope our man in the Crescent City will allow me to take a stab at this one! This sure sounds like Texas-based Central Airlines operating a Douglas DC3 on the following classic milk run route: Dallas Love Field - Duncan, OK - Lawton/Ft. Sill, OK - Oklahoma City - Ponca City, OK - Tulsa - Fort Smith - Fayetteville, AR - Harrison, AR - Ft. Leonard Wood, MO - St. Louis.

Spot on, JL! This flight (CN 82) actually originated in Ft. Worth at 3:31pm and made all those stops - some as short as five minutes per the schedule - before calling it a day upon landing in St. Louis at 11:58pm.

You'll find the rest of the questions (plus bonus questions) right HERE

As for me, I'm here in the Seattle Airport savoring a simple cup of Starbuck's Pike Place coffee whilst addressing these questions. Soon I will turn my haggard face to the north - and a tad east, I suppose - as it's off to the Tukwila, WA train station (what of it there is ) for a four hour ride through the rain and mist down to Portland. I'll join my Alaskan neighbor from work (He lives in Portland) for a beer or two this afternoon at the Baghdad before returning to PDX to join my Fairbanks neighbor for a late dinner at Stanford's (she's passing through on her way home from Maine). Later, I'll board a Dash 8 back up to Seattle to position myself for tomorrow's round trip to Baltimore. I'll be back in Portland tomorrow night where I've rented a car and will take the weekend in Seaside, Oregon. My flight from Portland back up to Seattle on Monday evening will allow me to once again attain Super Duper Diamond Encrusted Kryptonite Status (plus an additional 50000 mile bonus) which I'll celebrate over coffee and perhaps something stronger on my flight down to Tampa. As always, I beg your continued forbearance as all of this travel may result in occasional delays to timely responses to your answers.

Right, then! Off to the Tukwila station go I!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 24, 2014 at 11:20 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... the only all-economy configured aircraft I ever flew aboard United was a DC-8-62 between Seattle and Portland in June of 1979. ...
10 Jun 79, I did the reverse on N8973U ... as I recall, the flight in its entirety operated HNL-PDX-SEA

As for me, I'm here in the Seattle Airport savoring a simple cup of Starbuck's Pike Place coffee whilst addressing these questions. Soon I will turn my haggard face to the north - and a tad east, I suppose - as it's off to the Tukwila, WA train station (what of it there is ) for a four hour ride through the rain and mist down to Portland. ... Later, I'll board a Dash 8 Q400 back up to Seattle to position myself for tomorrow's round trip to Baltimore. I'll be back in Portland tomorrow night ... My flight from Portland back up to Seattle on Monday evening ... flight down to Tampa. ...
Man In Motion! safe travels ... my wife will be on AS767 BWI-SEA on Wed evening, and I will proceed BWI-DTW-SEA on Fri (followed by a SEA-ANC-SEA turn and SEA-EUG on Sat morning); we will be returning together EUG-SEA-JFK-BWI on Mon evening
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to Alaska, my referenced schedule shows a Convair 880. Indeed, I've had a hard time finding any schedules that indicate Alaska service with the 990 or even the 720s. For quite some time in the late sixties and early seventies Alaska only indicated the equipment used as "JET".
http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/...s67/as67-2.jpg

40 ...Everything above is correct except that only three airlines operated two aircraft types. The extra in this case is Delta ...

while I indeed listed DL with both DC8 and 880, and AA with both 707 and 990, I also stated
Originally Posted by jrl767
... the only hangup is which of the last two actually flew the route with the two aircraft types ...

for purposes of playing by the rules, I'm going to guess that AA only operated the 707 on LAX<-->SAN
so it appears I guessed wrong ... but 5 out of 6 among us friends is generally a pretty good outcome
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

I hope our man in the Crescent City will allow me to take a stab at this one! This sure sounds like Texas-based Central Airlines operating a Douglas DC3 on the following classic milk run route: Dallas Love Field - Duncan, OK - Lawton/Ft. Sill, OK - Oklahoma City - Ponca City, OK - Tulsa - Fort Smith - Fayetteville, AR - Harrison, AR - Ft. Leonard Wood, MO - St. Louis.

Spot on, JL! This flight (CN 82) actually originated in Ft. Worth at 3:31pm and made all those stops - some as short as five minutes per the schedule - before calling it a day upon landing in St. Louis at 11:58pm.
Although I never had the opportunity to fly on Central, I was familiar with them and would see their aircraft while flying on Braniff or Trans-Texas (TTa) and making connections at Dallas Love Field. Of course, if I had enough time, I would also dash off to the check-in and ticketing area at Love and grab as many timetables as I could including the one for Central!

BTW, permit me to recommend a brewpub/restaurant in the Portland area: the Widmer Gasthaus Pub just east of downtown across the river. Widmer makes one of the best hefeweisen style beers I know of and their other microbrews are fine as well. Plus, the food and service are great . This pub can be easily reached from the Portland Intl. Airport by way of the MAX light rail (Yellow Line) via the Mississippi/Albina stop, although one does have to change from the Red Line when starting the journey from PDX. I've actually visited this establishment via the light rail from PDX (Red Line changing to the Yellow Line) and can highly recommend the Widmer Gasthaus Pub.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 25, 2014 at 8:53 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@jlemon - part of our SEA/EUG odyssey next weekend may well include dinner in the Portland area, so this is a very good data point re the Widmer Gasthaus Pub ... thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've eaten (and drank!) at the Widmer Gasthaus Pub as well. It's a great spot and an excellent recommendation. I'll definitely look forward to my next visit. It's also conveniently located only a couple of blocks from the Tri-Met light rail stop.

The Bagdad Theater and Pub is in the Hawthorne District - over in the "alternative" side of town. It's one of the many McMenamins pubs around Portland and the region. While Hawthorne's personality might seem a bit spicy for some, to me a visit there is like slipping into a pair of comfortable old jeans. The Hammerhead Ale is my favorite, but the other selections on tap are also quite tasty.

It's a bucket list item of mine to someday visit ALL of the McMenamins pubs in the Northwest. So far I've only been to nine of them.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
16. From Burbank, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate out of state destinations. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown

Let try Royal West (TT) to LAS and Pacific National (ZE) to both the Grand Canyon Airport, and LAS.
Curious to know if this was the same Royal West that operated several BAe 146 (I think they were series 100 models) aircraft between southern California and Nevada during mid 1980's. I remember seeing a Royal West BAe 146 at Burbank. I believe their route system also included LAX, LAS, ONT and RNO.......
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38. (The jlemon special): Departing Portland each day at 1:00pm, this airline’s flight makes six stops enroute to San Francisco, arriving at 5:20pm. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the six enroute stops.
38. Wild guess time......West Coast Airlines operating a Fairchild F-27 on a routing of Portland-Salem-Corvallis/Albany-Eugene-Medford-Klamath Falls-Sacramento-San Francisco......
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 1966
41. Two airlines operate 2-stop propeller driven flights between Los Angeles and Denver. Identify each airline, the prop each flies and the route of each airlines' flight.
41 - these were most likely United with a DC-6 via Las Vegas (LAS) and Grand Junction (GJT), and Western with an Electra via San DIego (SAN) and Phoenix (PHX)

... 1966
42. Four airlines offer flights between Colorado Springs and Denver aboard six different models of propeller driven aircraft. Two airlines operate two different types while the other two operate just a single type. Interestingly, no two airlines operate the same aircraft type. Identify each airline and its respective aircraft operated on this route.
42 - as with the LAX<-->SAN question earlier, I'm reasonably confident of the airlines ... I'm not sure I have the Convair variants associated with the right ones though
  1. Braniff (BN), Electra and Convair 340
  2. Central (CN), DC-3 and Convair 240
  3. Continental (CO), Viscount
  4. Frontier (FL), Convair 440
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
38. (The jlemon special): Departing Portland each day at 1:00pm, this airline’s flight makes six stops enroute to San Francisco, arriving at 5:20pm. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the six enroute stops.

Wild guess time......West Coast Airlines operating a Fairchild F-27 on a routing of Portland-Salem-Corvallis/Albany-Eugene-Medford-Klamath Falls-Sacramento-San Francisco.....

Well, you've got Portland right, as well as Sacramento and San Francisco. As for the rest of those stops, they're like - pretty wild, man... Please feel free to modify this answer at your leisure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.