Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
10. This airline offered the only nonstop turboprop flights between New York’s JFK and Boston. Identify both the airline and the aircraft flown.
10- I'm leaning toward Command Airways with a Shorts 360 ... but if that doesn't pan out, I have a couple other possibilities
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. In 1983, this airline operated 13 almost daily (X67) “I-5 Express” flights between five cities along the I-5 corridor. Identify the airline, the cities served and the aircraft used on these flights.

This one had me a bit stumped. I know that Horizon Air (QX) operated the "I-5 Express" between Seattle and Portland. However, I could not recall if QX had expanded this service to other cities......

So let's stay with Horizon Air and add Eugene, Medford and Salem to the list of destinations served by the "I-5 Express". The primary aircraft, especially between SEA and PDX, would have been the Fairchild F-27 with the Swearingen Metro II being used as well, especially with regard to the Salem service.

That's right! Horizon it was, serving Seattle, Portland, Salem, Eugene and Medford with Fokker F-27 Friendships. According to the advertisement only F27s were used on this service.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Icecat
3. If you wanted to fly nonstop between Grand Rapids and Baltimore in 1971, which airline would you call?

Well I would have called Allegheny, new service in early 1971 with one flight each direction. If I remember right, the e/b from GRR left just before 4pm.

Your memory's doing just fine, Icecat! Allegheny is correct with a flight departing Grand Rapids at 3:15pm, arriving BWI at 5:00pm aboard a Convair 580. I have a later schedule showing a DC-9-30 on this route.

9. Please identify the only airline that offers direct service from Buffalo, Rochester and Hartford to Sarasota, FL.

The key word here is direct, not non-stop, so my answer is Altair. Going thru PHL and a stop at either TPA or JAX prior to reaching Sarasota.

Correct! Altair it was, routing exactly as you described. Altair F28 or DC-9-30 "Starjets" operated these flights.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
10. (In 1981) This airline offered the only nonstop turboprop flights between New York’s JFK and Boston. Identify both the airline and the aircraft flown.

I'm leaning toward Command Airways with a Shorts 360 ... but if that doesn't pan out, I have a couple other possibilities.

I look forward to seeing those other possibilities!

14. Aside from Reeve Aleutian’s Electra operations, this was the longest propeller operated flight in the U.S. Identify the route, the airline and the aircraft type.

It isn't clear to me whether "longest" means a single segment or "origin - all stops - destination" in its entirety, but in either case I suspect the winner is a Frontier CV-580

"Longest" as it's used in this question refers to a single NONSTOP flight.

I'd guess the long segment was Billings to Salt Lake City, which is about 400 miles; the flight itself probably came across North Dakota and Montana ... perhaps something like Grand Forks - Bismarck - Williston - Sidney - Glasgow - Miles City - BIL - SLC which totals around 1150 miles

Not a bad guess, J, but alas, we're looking for a nonstop flight that was quite a bit longer than 400 miles and the airline involved was not Frontier.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 16, 2014 at 7:39 am
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are just twelve questions left...

1. In 1986, this airline introduced nonstop service between Orange County and Chicago O’Hare with the slogan “There’s No Stopping Now!” Identify the airline and the aircraft it chose to fly on this route. A N S W E R E D

2. In 1993, this airline claimed to be the first international airline to offer First Class service to Vladivostok, Russia. A N S W E R E D

3. If you wanted to fly nonstop between Grand Rapids and Baltimore in 1971, which airline would you call? A N S W E R E D

4. In 1977, this airline claimed that it flew two million more passengers a year than Pan Am, offered 20000 more U.S. flights per year than TWA and served twenty-two more U.S. cities than American. Which airline was this? A N S W E R E D

5. In 1983, this airline operated 13 almost daily (X67) “I-5 Express” flights between five cities along the I-5 corridor. Identify the airline, the cities served and the aircraft used on these flights. A N S W E R E D

6. What was the name of Eastern Airlines’ first membership only airport lounge? A N S W E R E D

The following ten questions are based upon schedules published in late 1981

7. Lately, the Las Vegas to Reno route has been a surprising source of trivia here at the OTA&AQ. Some of you may remember that in 1984, the only carrier operating nonstop flights between these two cities was – improbably – Eastern Airlines. In the fall of 1981 however, five airlines competed between LAS and RNO with nonstop flights. Can you identify them? A N S W E R E D

8. You want to fly from Hartford to Kansas City. Though you had expected to have to make a connection in New York or Chicago, you’re surprised to find that a single daily nonstop flight is offered by this airline. Please identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft to be flown. A N S W E R E D

9. Please identify the only airline that offers direct service from Buffalo, Rochester and Hartford to Sarasota, FL. A N S W E R E D

10. This airline offered the only nonstop turboprop flights between New York’s JFK and Boston. Identify both the airline and the aircraft flown.

11. This airline operates the only DC-9-10 service between Miami and Port Au Prince, Haiti

12. In late 1981 there were two jet equipped airlines whose entire route map comprised only a single route. Both of these airlines operated the same type of jet over their respective single routes. Can you identify the airlines, the route each one of them flew and the aircraft type operated by each of these airlines?

13. These days, Delta is the go-to airline between Salt Lake City and Anchorage. Back in 1981 however, it was a different airline that offered the only direct flight between SLC and ANC with a single, daily departure. Which airline was this? A N S W E R E D

14. Aside from Reeve Aleutian’s Electra operations, this was the longest propeller operated flight that I could find in the U.S. Identify the route, the airline and the aircraft type. (With a group of people as knowledgeable as our core participants, I'd not be at all surprised if someone comes up with something even longer than I've found. Let's find out!)

15. From Miami, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate destinations within Florida. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown

16. From Burbank, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate out of state destinations. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown

The following eight questions are based upon schedules published in 1959

17. When American Airlines introduced jet service in 1959, it had a special name for First and Coach Class services aboard its 707s. Any of the cognoscenti know what those names were? A N S W E R E D

18. Braniff International had two different service brands for its international DC-7 flights to South America. Name them both. A N S W E R E D

19. If you were to fly from nonstop from New Orleans to Maracaibo, Venezuela in 1959, what airline and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon? A N S W E R E D

20. This airline marketed its all-coach DC-6 domestic flights as “Silver Dollar Service”

21. Which airline called itself “The Flag Line of the 49th State”? A N S W E R E D

22. This airline offered “El Emperador” and “El Habanero” service on its two daily international flights from New York’s Idlewild Airport. Identify the airline and the destination. A N S W E R E D

23. If you were to fly a non-U.S. airline between Miami and Mexico City in 1959, which airline would you call?

24. Every evening except Monday, this airline’s Super Constellation would depart New York’s Idlewild Airport and fly nonstop to Caracas.

25. Western Airlines was famous for the free “Champagne” offered on its flights during the 1960s and 70s. It was also famous for another aspect of its inflight meal service. This was a branded service offered on longer flights within the continental U.S. as well as those to Alaska. What was the name of this service? A N S W E R E D

26. It’s late spring of 1969 and from its home base of Seattle Alaska Airlines offers nonstop service to only two destinations. Identify the two cities so served. A N S W E R E D

27. When Braniff’s new Boeing 707-227 “El Dorado Jet” commenced service December of 1959, it was trumpeted as the “World’s Fastest Jetliner”. By 1961, that title no longer appeared on Braniff promotional materials. By then, another U.S. airline was promoting its jet as the “World’s Fastest Jetliner”. Identify the airline and the jet. A N S W E R E D

28. Only one airline ever operated regularly scheduled flights with this jet type into Los Angeles LAX. Identify the airline and the jet type. A N S W E R E D

29. In late fall of 1968, this airline operated the last scheduled Constellation passenger flight in North America. Identify the airline and – for a cyber pat on the back – the route flown. A N S W E R E D

Fill in the blanks on the following five marketing statements – all of them from U.S. airlines

30. (1960): Eastern proudly presents the most advanced jet of all… the all-new DC-8B, the jet with power to spare! Equipped with the new more powerful J-75 engines, the mighty DC-8B uses less runway on takeoff. And, smoothly and effortlessly, it climbs faster… reaches cruising altitude faster… and arrives at your destination sooner. Plan now to fly the world’s most advanced jet… enjoy luxurious Golden Falcon service or economical Jet Coach service on Eastern’s all new DC-8B. A N S W E R E D

31. (1970): Northwest’s _______________ Service to Hawaii is free champagne, hot scented _____________ towels, hors d’oeuvres and salad and a choice of entrees like stuffed loin of pork and tenderloin steak with sauces and things, luscious desserts, candy and nuts, a free gift for the ladies and orchids, orchids all the way to Hawaii. In First Class, we add the luxury of silver and china service and complimentary ______________ cocktails. A N S W E R E D

32. (1983): You’ll be delighted with the freedom of movement on _______________(airline name). Stroll from the lounge into our bar and share this marvelous flight with convivial fellow passengers. They’re easy to meet; our converted ___________s carry no more than 30 passengers on any flight.

33. (1964): On April 5th, _____________ becomes the first to provide __________ jets between Chicago and New York. A N S W E R E D

34. (1986): The golden age of air travel has lost a lot of its shine. We believe it’s time to put the polish back on. We’re ____________ Airlines and we’re going to give you service that’s unheard of for standard coach fares. Like wide, luxurious seats. Only 74 on the whole plane. Glorious food that’s prepared onboard. Graciously served on china by one of four flight attendants who actually enjoy what they’re doing. And there’s plenty of storage space, so we encourage you to carry on. And on the ground, relax in a quiet, enclosed lounge instead of a crowded gate. Or, you can pre-board 30 minutes early and well serve you drinks and hors d’oeuvres. A N S W E R E D

35. What was the easternmost point served by Eastern Airlines in 1965? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 18, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:55 am

There are just twelve questions left...
="Red"]A N S W E R E D[/COLOR][/B]

19. If you were to fly from nonstop from New Orleans to Maracaibo, Venezuela in 1959, what airline and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon?
Delta Air Lines, Golden Crown DC-7, with flights continuing to Caracas.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:02 am

Eastern once had a L-1011 which developed an engine fault on the ground at Mexico so they arranged a 2-engine ferry back to Miami - and got a second engine failure just after liftoff. Flying the pattern back to landing on one engine at that altitude must have been more than a little hairy Thereafter doing this was banned at MEX.

I believe this happened shortly after the EA L-1011 crash in the Everglades. One of the pilots was asked what it was like to fly an L-1011 on one engine, and he said "I thought Don Repo's ghost was aboard" ( Don Repo was one of the pilots of the Eastern L-1011 crash). This innocent comment spawned the whole "Ghost of Flight 401" stories.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... in 1959
18. Braniff International had two different service brands for its international DC-7 flights to South America. Name them both.
18- per Question #27, BN introduced their 707-227s in Dec 1959 under the name of "El Dorado Jets" so I will posit that "El Dorado" was one of the two DC-7 services ... complete speculation as to the other; how about "El Americano" ?

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 16, 2014 at 9:04 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
19. If you were to fly from nonstop from New Orleans to Maracaibo, Venezuela in 1959, what airline and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon?

Delta Air Lines, Golden Crown DC-7, with flights continuing to Caracas.

In later years, this would have been true, Joe, but in 1959 a different airline was flying this route...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. Braniff International had two different service brands for its international DC-7 flights to South America. Name them both.

Per Question #27, BN introduced their 707-227s in Dec 1959 under the name of "El Dorado Jets" so I will posit that "El Dorado" was one of the two DC-7 services ... complete speculation as to the other; how about "El Americano" ?

"El Dorado" is correct, J! As to the other service brand, it was specific to one of Braniff's South American destinations. Care to hazard another guess?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
That would be Avensa (VE) with a DC-6B. Viasa (VA) took over the international routes in 1960, and I flew my first international flight (not counting US-Canada) from MSY-MAR on a Viasa Convair 880 (I think that was the aircraft) on Aug 8, 1964 (can it be 50 years ago?).

Last edited by miniliq; Oct 17, 2014 at 5:28 am Reason: added date
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5. In 1983, this airline operated 13 almost daily (X67) “I-5 Express” flights between five cities along the I-5 corridor. Identify the airline, the cities served and the aircraft used on these flights. A N S W E R E D
Just a footnote here.....although Horizon Air used the term "Friendship" for their F-27 aircraft, I believe they were actually Fairchild F-27s. Thus, use of the term "Friendship" by the airline was not quite correct as I also believe Fairchild never used this name for their U.S. manufactured version of the Fokker aircraft. Perhaps this was a marketing move by QX as "Friendship" has a nice ring to it.....
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18- per Question #27, BN introduced their 707-227s in Dec 1959 under the name of "El Dorado Jets" so I will posit that "El Dorado" was one of the two DC-7 services ... complete speculation as to the other; how about "El Americano" ?
"El Dorado" is correct, J! As to the other service brand, it was specific to one of Braniff's South American destinations. Care to hazard another guess?
Two guesses, since I'm still in random mode:
(a) "Copacabana" for Rio de Janeiro?
(b) "El Gaucho" for Buenos Aires?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

32. (1983): You’ll be delighted with the freedom of movement on Regent Air. Stroll from the lounge into our bar and share this marvelous flight with convivial fellow passengers. They’re easy to meet; our converted Boeing 727s carry no more than 30 passengers on any flight.
Several small U.S. air carriers tried operating all first class service primarily with Boeing 727s over the years (although MGM Grand Air switched from the 727 to the DC8). None survive, of course......
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
18. Braniff International had two different service brands for its international DC-7 flights to South America. Name them both. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
Two guesses, since I'm still in random mode:
(a) "Copacabana" for Rio de Janeiro?
(b) "El Gaucho" for Buenos Aires?
Let's add to JRL's list: "El Bogotano"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.