Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
13: another shot at filling in the blanks
Pensacola (PNS)
Daytona Beach (DAB)
Newark (EWR)

I can think of one more option for each of these, so we'll see what the official word from LFT is later this evening
13. Correct! National 258 (Electra) / National 458 (727) operated MSY-PNS-TPA-MCO-DAB-JAX-EWR-BOS.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, it's our "lil tractor" which I get to drive about once a week or so. And yes, it does have a cup holder which has been known to transport a very refreshing Cajun Bloody Mary during lawn mowing operations. ...
luckily our lawn didn't need attention today ... unfortunately I forgot that we were out of vodka, so our James Bond martinis just contain Bombay Sapphire and Lillet blonde ... and, of course, I replaced the red peppers in the olives with oven-roasted tomatoes
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
42. ... fall of 1960, American Airlines was operating flights on the short hop from Dallas Love Field to the Greater Southwest Airport which served Fort Worth. How many flights did AA operate from DAL to GSW on a daily basis at this time? Here's a hint: American was operating four different aircraft types on the service from Dallas to Fort Worth and thus was operating at least four flights a day. So please also identify all four aircraft flown on the route by AA in addition to the number of flights.
three of the aircraft types were certainly the DC-6, DC-7, and Electra; I'm pretty sure that AA had 707s operating to/from GSW, but I'm thinking that they hadn't yet retired their Convair 340/440s and those would be a more likely sight on the GSW<-->DAL route than the big jets ... as far as total flights, random guess: 11 in each direction

43. It's the fall of 1976 and you are in Bangor, Maine. You need to travel to Atlanta and discover a classic milk run flight which departs BGR at 6:35am and arrives in ATL at 5:15pm. This flight operates daily and makes a total of eight intermediate stops en route. And here's a hint with regard to the routing of this flight: weather conditions permitting, from the vantage point of your window seat ahead of the wing you'll be seeing several large bodies of water en route. Name the airline, the aircraft type flown on the route and all eight stops in the order in which they were made. ...
43- since "several large bodies of water" probably doesn't mean Long Island Sound and Delaware Bay and Chesapeake Bay, let's try to figure out how Delta was taking some of what had been Northeast routes prior to the 1972 merger and consolidating them onto their own routes from the Midwest into ATL

out of BGR, NE service went to Portland (PWM) and Boston (BOS); they had expanded their route system out of Burlington (BTV) with flights to Chicago (ORD), some of which stopped in Detroit (DTW) and others in Cleveland (CLE) ... but since I don't recall NE flying between these two points there are a number of three-stop routings that DL might have used between ORD and ATL

so here's my guess for this loooong day of flying on what would most likely have been a DC9-30:
  1. PWM
  2. BOS
  3. BTV
  4. DTW
  5. ORD
  6. St Louis (STL)
  7. Memphis (MEM)
  8. Birmingham (BHM)
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
three of the aircraft types were certainly the DC-6, DC-7, and Electra; I'm pretty sure that AA had 707s operating to/from GSW, but I'm thinking that they hadn't yet retired their Convair 340/440s and those would be a more likely sight on the GSW<-->DAL route than the big jets ... as far as total flights, random guess: 11 in each direction

43- since "several large bodies of water" probably doesn't mean Long Island Sound and Delaware Bay and Chesapeake Bay, let's try to figure out how Delta was taking some of what had been Northeast routes prior to the 1972 merger and consolidating them onto their own routes from the Midwest into ATL

out of BGR, NE service went to Portland (PWM) and Boston (BOS); they had expanded their route system out of Burlington (BTV) with flights to Chicago (ORD), some of which stopped in Detroit (DTW) and others in Cleveland (CLE) ... but since I don't recall NE flying between these two points there are a number of three-stop routings that DL might have used between ORD and ATL

so here's my guess for this loooong day of flying on what would most likely have been a DC9-30:
  1. PWM
  2. BOS
  3. BTV
  4. DTW
  5. ORD
  6. St Louis (STL)
  7. Memphis (MEM)
  8. Birmingham (BHM)
42. Excellent guess! American was operating ten flights a day from Dallas (DAL) to Fort Worth (GSW) at this time including one DC-7 "Flagship" flight, two Convair "Flagship" flights (I believe these aircraft were CV-240 models), two Electra "Jet-Powered Flagship" flights and five DC-6 "Flagship" flights. Typical block time for all flights was 15 minutes.

43. Delta with a DC9-30 is correct! Here's how you did with regard to the routing:

Portland (PWM) - correct
Boston (BOS) - incorrect
Burlington (BTV) - correct
Detroit (DTW) correct
Chicago (ORD) - correct
St. Louis (STL) - correct
Memphis - (MEM) correct
Birmingham (BHM) - incorrect

So we are still missing two other stops here.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA
45. In the fall of 1993, there was only one airline that was still operating scheduled passenger flights from London Heathrow with Boeing 707 equipment. This service was actually a joint operation involving another airline. Identify the air carrier that actually operated this 707 service and the route the aircraft was flown on from LHR.
I believe this is a reference to a carrier who couldn't get insurance on their aircraft while on the ground at their home base. I believe also we discussed their aircraft long, long ago in this thread, when I witnessed a certain engineering operation taking place on them. They finally moved on in the mid-1990s to secondhand A310s.
our James Bond Martinis just contain Bombay Sapphire .......
Unfortunately this is a very modern brand, only been around for some 20 years, so well after Ian Fleming's time when he wrote the spec for a Martini. It is however made in a very historic building about 50 miles west of Heathrow, close to Stonehenge, which some years ago, before they moved the distillery in there, housed a customer of mine that made water supply treatment machinery there and shipped it out worldwide, but later went out of business. They were lovely old buildings in a classic English village then, I wonder how Bombay Sapphire have handled restoring them.

I'm pleased to say it's the brand on the BAe 146/RJs that are regularly plying me to and from Ireland at present.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I believe this is a reference to a carrier who couldn't get insurance on their aircraft while on the ground at their home base. I believe also we discussed their aircraft long, long ago in this thread, when I witnessed a certain engineering operation taking place on them. They finally moved on in the mid-1990s to secondhand A310s.
Ah, yes....I saw their aircraft as well at SBA back in the day as we discussed at the time....
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
19. In the spring of 1976, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Kingston (KIN) and Belize (BZE) with a jet aircraft type. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

It seems like Air Jamaica would operate more than once a week between KIN and BZE. I don't think Belize Airways with its 720s came along until later (I remember scoring one if its postcards!) so I'm thinking perhaps it was a Central American or Caribbean airline... Honestly, I'm just flailing about here as witnessed by my logic - great diving in the Caymans as well as Roatan off Belize - so let's go with Cayman Airways operating a BAC-111...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

41. In the fall of 1960, this airline was operating a classic milk run flight which originated at Chicago Midway Airport. This flight departed MDW at 6:50am six days a week and made eight intermediate stops en route to Houston Hobby, arriving at HOU at 3:42pm. Name the air carrier, the equipment and all eight stops in the order in which they were made. ...
41: the only airlines whose route systems went through the middle of the country from CHI to HOU were Braniff and Delta ... I'm having a tough time coming up with more than a six-stop routing for BN, and DL is maxing out at a seven-stop itinerary ... either airline would have most likely been operating a Convair 340/440, because I sure can't picture a DC-6 at some of the smaller enroute points

let's go with Delta, and I think I'll be lucky if more than five of these are right
  1. Indianapolis (IND)
  2. Evansville (EVV)
  3. St Louis (STL)
  4. Memphis (MEM)
  5. Little Rock (LIT)
  6. Monroe (MLU)
  7. Alexandria (AEX)
  8. Shreveport (SHV)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Northeast Airlines ordered Britannias for their Florida routes, but couldn't raise the finance at the 11th hour, when they were all sat painted up at the factory in Belfast. S2A, do you have a Northeast Britannia in your postcard collection ? Looks like things were so near they might have had postcards printed.
As of yesterday I'm finally cleared to lift more than 20 pounds. ^^! So off I trudged to my storage locker, located on the outskirts of Fairbanks near the Tanana River, and there I retrieved a few boxes from my postcard collection, notably those containing postcards from North American carriers.

Unfortunately, my collection does not include any Britannias from Northeast. However, you've piqued my curiosity and so I checked out a couple of larger European based postcard websites but was unable to find any Northeast Britannias on their sales lists (Back in the day I used to buy everything, so I would likely have had it if it were issued or available - including many airline issue - prior to 1999) I've also contacted two fellow collectors - both with huge collections - but so far nothing. What I did find was a small picture of a Northeast advertisement (1957) from a past Ebay auction (Google Image "Northeast Airlines Bristol Britannia" and you'll find it on the top row) so it appears NE were right on the verge of operations.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. In the spring of 1976, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Kingston (KIN) and Belize (BZE) with a jet aircraft type. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

It seems like Air Jamaica would operate more than once a week between KIN and BZE. I don't think Belize Airways with its 720s came along until later (I remember scoring one if its postcards!) so I'm thinking perhaps it was a Central American or Caribbean airline... Honestly, I'm just flailing about here as witnessed by my logic - great diving in the Caymans as well as Roatan off Belize - so let's go with Cayman Airways operating a BAC-111...
19. Ah, it was not Cayman Airways. However, the aircraft type you have mentioned is correct!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

41: the only airlines whose route systems went through the middle of the country from CHI to HOU were Braniff and Delta ... I'm having a tough time coming up with more than a six-stop routing for BN, and DL is maxing out at a seven-stop itinerary ... either airline would have most likely been operating a Convair 340/440, because I sure can't picture a DC-6 at some of the smaller enroute points

let's go with Delta, and I think I'll be lucky if more than five of these are right
  1. Indianapolis (IND) Correct
  2. Evansville (EVV) Correct
  3. St Louis (STL) Incorrect
  4. Memphis (MEM) Correct
  5. Little Rock (LIT) Correct
  6. Monroe (MLU) Incorrect
  7. Alexandria (AEX) Incorrect
  8. Shreveport (SHV) Correct
41. Delta with a "Super Convair 440" configured with 44 pax seats is correct! And you did identify five of the eight stops correctly.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19. Ah, it was not Cayman Airways. However, the aircraft type you have mentioned is correct!
It must've been a Central American airline... let's go with Aviateca
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

43: since I'm going to be there this weekend, how about Manchester NH (MHT) instead of BOS ... other than BHM there are four cities that come to mind as possible stops between MEM and ATL, so I'll just start with the westernmost: Jackson MS (JAN)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It must've been a Central American airline... let's go with Aviateca
19. And you are getting closer, sir!

Please guess again!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

43: since I'm going to be there this weekend, how about Manchester NH (MHT) instead of BOS ... other than BHM there are four cities that come to mind as possible stops between MEM and ATL, so I'll just start with the westernmost: Jackson MS (JAN)
43. I believe Manchester is correct....however, I'm currently in Houston on biz and thus do not have my reference material handy. So I shall have to confirm this when I get home tomorrow evening.

I am sure of one thing: this flight did not stop in Jackson (JAN). And here's a hint: the Delta D9S that operated this milk run routing flew nonstop from MEM to ATL on the final leg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.