Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
The weekend is upon us, which means.......quiz time!

Can't let this thread sputter out, you know.....

1) Name the former U.S. operators of the MD-90.

2) Name as many U.S. operators of the Martin 404 as you can (and there were a number of them).

3) Of the former U.S. operators of the Martin 404, name two airlines that never operated any turboprop aircraft of similar or larger size.

4) Name three airports that are no longer served by Southwest Airlines.

5) What type of aircraft did Braniff International primarily use when BN flew "wingtip to wingtip" with Southwest between Houston and Dallas in a concerted effort to match WN's schedule with the goal of driving them out of business?

6) Southwest at one point operated B727-200s formerly operated by Braniff. Southwest also flew B727-200s that had been operated by another airline. Name that airline.

7) What airline operated a DC-8 Super 60 series nonstop between Honolulu (HNL) and Calgary (YYC)?

8) What airline operated direct, onestop B747 service between Honolulu (HNL) and Cleveland (CLE)?

9) What airline operated nonstop jet service between Long Beach (LGB) and San Diego (SAN) and what type of aircraft was used?

10) What airline acquired a B727 formerly operated by Northwest that was involved in the D.B. Cooper hijacking?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlemon

7) What airline operated a DC-8 Super 60 series nonstop between Honolulu (HNL) and Calgary (YYC)?

10) What airline acquired a B727 formerly operated by Northwest that was involved in the D.B. Cooper hijacking?
Let me give this a stab without "google is your friend".

4) formerly San Francisco (left and returned)
Beaumont, Texas
Stapleton International Airport, Denver
Intercontinental Airport, Houston (now Bush Intercontinental)

7) CP Air

10) Key Airlines of Savannah, GA or someplace close to there.

I know at least one answer is correct so a new question:

What airport was destroyed between midnight and approximately 3 am on a secret mission ordered by the Mayor? They just destroyed the runway so that planes could no longer take off or land. Some planes were stranded.

What was one scheduled route that used that airport?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Correct! I worked for Mahalo Air after they had transitioned from the F-27 to the ATR-42. I remember being in a meeting where the CEO of Mahalo Air wanted the maintenance dept. to return the F-27s to service in order to back up the ATR-42s and also provide extra lift when required. The Director of Maintenance was horrified as the F-27s were real basket cases (and hangar queens) at that point, and would have consumed a large amount of money (which Mahalo Air was short of) in order to become airworthy once again. The F-27s were not operated again by Mahalo Air and the airline ceased operating not too long after that due to financial difficulties.....

That was my last airline job. I still work in the aviation industry but not in the airline business.

And I still enjoy flying on various airlines at the ripe old age of 58 and am looking forward to our next trip to the north shore of Kauai!
jlemon: Mahalo nui for the great history of your time in Hawaii!

2) Name as many U.S. operators of the Martin 404 as you can (and there were a number of them).

3) Of the former U.S. operators of the Martin 404, name two airlines that never operated any turboprop aircraft of similar or larger size.

8) What airline operated direct, onestop B747 service between Honolulu (HNL) and Cleveland (CLE)?
1.) Reno Air
2.) Martin 404 operators: Air South, Eastern Air Lines, Pacific Air Lines, Piedmont, Mohawk, Florida Airlines, Ozark Airlines, Provincetown Boston Airlines, Southeast Airways, Southern Airways, TWA, Atlantic Southeast
3.) Florida Airlines, TWA
8.) United
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: All of them!
The destroyed airport was Meigs ---Chicago
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
1.) Reno Air and TWA
2.) Martin 404 operators: Air South, Eastern Air Lines, Pacific Air Lines, Piedmont, Mohawk, Florida Airlines, Ozark Airlines, Provincetown Boston Airlines, Southeast Airways, Southern Airways, TWA, Atlantic Southeast
Shawnee, Marco Island, Pioneer (or were they just 2O2s ?)
10) What airline acquired a B727 formerly operated by Northwest that was involved in the D.B. Cooper hijacking? Piedmont
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5) What type of aircraft did Braniff International primarily use when BN flew "wingtip to wingtip" with Southwest between Houston and Dallas in a concerted effort to match WN's schedule with the goal of driving them out of business?

6) Southwest at one point operated B727-200s formerly operated by Braniff. Southwest also flew B727-200s that had been operated by another airline. Name that airline.

9) What airline operated nonstop jet service between Long Beach (LGB) and San Diego (SAN) and what type of aircraft was used?

Great job by 797-3, tonywestsider and Wally Bird with regard to your various answers!

1) Reno Air and American. American acquired Reno Air and then operated the MD-90 for awhile with a modified AA livery. TWA never operated the MD-90 but did operate the B717, which was previously known as the MD-95 (the "little brother" of the MD-90). Delta continues to be the only current U.S. operator of the MD-90 in scheduled service.

2) Here's the list I have for past U.S. operators of the Martin 404:

Air South
Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA)
Eastern Airlines
Florida Airlines
Marco Island Airways
Mohawk Airlines
Ozark Air Lines
Pacific Airlines
Piedmont Airlines
Provincetown-Boston Airlines (PBA)
Southeast Airlines
Southern Airways
TWA

In addition, military versions of the Martin 404 were operated by the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Navy.

Interestingly, I could not find any European operators of the Martin 404. Anyone have any intel concerning this?

3) Besides TWA and Florida Airlines, Southern Airways never operated a similar sized turboprop (although I believe SO did operate the 19 pax Fairchild-Swearingen Metro at one point).

4) Of course, Southwest went back into both DEN and SFO.

Here's the answers I was looking for:

Beaumont/Port Arthur (BPT)
Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH)
Detroit City (DET)

7) Correct! CP Air operated the D8S nonstop YYC-HNL.

8) United is correct! And I think it's been a very long time since CLE had scheduled 747 service.

10) Correct! Piedmont acquired this famous 727 from NW.

However, I have been unable to verify whether this particular airplane actually had a placard placed next to the inside door of the rear airstair that read "Parachutists not allowed past this point"......

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:17 pm

Air South
Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA)
Eastern Airlines
Florida Airlines
Marco Island Airways
Mohawk Airlines
Ozark Air Lines
Pacific Airlines
Piedmont Airlines
Provincetown-Boston Airlines (PBA)
Southeast Airlines
Southern Airways
TWA

In addition, military versions of the Martin 404 were operated by the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Navy.

Interestingly, I could not find any European operators of the Martin 404. Anyone have any intel concerning this?
Well I cheated and consulted a book. Operators in addition to the above who may have carried passengers (I haven't heard of any of these):
Flamingo Airlines
Voyager
Page Airways
Fiesta Air
Westernair
Colony Airlines
Kwin Air
Balantic
Africair! (N40425)

And to answer my own question, yes Pioneer only operated 2O2s. No Europeans.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA

I don't think a Martin ever appeared in Europe, let alone operated for someone.

The only new operators were Northwest, Eastern, TWA and the US military. Northwest had one too many fatal accidents with them and sold them prematurely, some of which ended up as the first aircraft for a new Japan Air Lines, operated by US crews. The main difference was the Martin 2-0-2 was unpressurised and the Martin 4-0-4 was pressurised.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:11 pm

Proof of two more 4O4 operators:
Shawnee was a Florida intrastate taken over by Florida Airlines.

No idea who Global were, although the concept of a "global" 4O4 seems a little ambitious .

Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Martins in Hawaii?

Hi jlemon,

When you were working in Hawaii, weren't there some Martins and DC-3s flying for an inter-island carrier called DHL Island Airways? Circa 1979?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi jlemon,

When you were working in Hawaii, weren't there some Martins and DC-3s flying for an inter-island carrier called DHL Island Airways? Circa 1979?
Excellent questions....and I honestly do not recall seeing them. Were these aircraft being used for interisland cargo operations?

One thing I will always remember is watching a CP Air DC-10-30 depart from the vantage point of the Mahalo Air hangar across airfield from the HNL terminal. There was a driving tropical rainstorm in progress at the time and the DC-10 roared down the runway anyway. We noted that departures were then halted until the extremely heavy downpour and high winds associated with the intense squall abated......

BTW, my first and only flight on board a Martin 404 was on a Southern Airways flight from MEM to HSV back in the mid 60's. Southern then acquired their first DC-9s shortly after that and thus never operated a similar sized turboprop such as the Fairchild F-27 or Convair 580.....

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:32 am
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:01 am

Hi jlemon,

3 4O4s were used by DHL (cargo), all broken up at HNL around 1981:
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
4) Of course, Southwest went back into both DEN and SFO.

Here's the answers I was looking for:

Beaumont/Port Arthur (BPT)
Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH)
Detroit City (DET)

)
Have I found an error? If so, my answer is a great answer!

Didn't Southwest leave 4 or more airports?
Detroit is counted because it left Detroit City Airport even though it now operates out of Detroit Metro. Therefore, it is the airport we are counting.

Denver did leave Denver Stapleton. I think when they returned to Denver, the current DIA was open and Stapleton was closed.

There are still more airports. Austin, Texas opened a new civilian airport at the site of an old air force base. Southwest moved when that happened.

Southwest also took over Morris Air Transport, Muse, and AirTran. Some AirTran markets will be shut down though they would not have operated under the Southwest name.

Brownie point for me?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
Have I found an error? If so, my answer is a great answer!

Didn't Southwest leave 4 or more airports?
Detroit is counted because it left Detroit City Airport even though it now operates out of Detroit Metro. Therefore, it is the airport we are counting.

Denver did leave Denver Stapleton. I think when they returned to Denver, the current DIA was open and Stapleton was closed.

There are still more airports. Austin, Texas opened a new civilian airport at the site of an old air force base. Southwest moved when that happened.

Southwest also took over Morris Air Transport, Muse, and AirTran. Some AirTran markets will be shut down though they would not have operated under the Southwest name.

Brownie point for me?
Good points all! I was looking for specific airports where Southwest made a voluntary business decision to end service and then never returned. BPT, IAH and DET all qualify in this regard. These airports are obviously still there.

At AUS, WN did not have a choice if they wanted to continue to serve Austin. All the air carriers had to move to the old Bergstrom Air Force Base. And the same holds true with regard to Denver Stapleton. Also note that the three letter code for both airports did not change.

And, of course, with regard to AirTran, I was specifically talking about Southwest in a historical sense as this the "Old Timer's" quiz, although your point about Morris Air and Muse/TranStar are noted.

So, yes, you get the brownie point!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Good points all! I was looking for specific airports where Southwest made a voluntary business decision to end service and then never returned. BPT, IAH and DET all qualify in this regard. These airports are obviously still there.

At AUS, WN did not have a choice if they wanted to continue to serve Austin. All the air carriers had to move to the old Bergstrom Air Force Base. And the same holds true with regard to Denver Stapleton. Also note that the three letter code for both airports did not change.

And, of course, with regard to AirTran, I was specifically talking about Southwest in a historical sense as this the "Old Timer's" quiz, although your point about Morris Air and Muse/TranStar are noted.

So, yes, you get the brownie point!
In all fairness, brownie points are not deserved for Austin. Denver, does, I believe. That is because WN left Stapleton as a business decision. They didn't come back for many years. By that time, Stapleton had closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.