Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are the remainder of the questions - complete with hints...

The following three questions are based upon schedules published in the first half of 1974

6. Well I’ll be darned! A casual perusal of your trusty OAG reveals that you’ve got a chance to fly aboard a venerable Lockheed Electra between Nassau and Port Au Prince, Haiti. Better yet, the flight makes a single stop enroute. Excusing yourself from the poolside bar, you quickly find a phone and book yourself a seat aboard this twice weekly flight. Identify the airline and the enroute stop. HINT: This airline formed in 1971 around defunct Colony Airlines and Bahamas Airways

10. This airline – which operated a variety of different Convair props (as well as other aircraft) over its lifetime – flew only a single route in 1974, offering six weekday Convair flights (all of them operated X67) between these two airports, as well as a single Sunday only flight. Identify the airline, the two airports served and – if you feel up to it – the type of Convair shown in the 1974 schedules. A N S W E R E D

The following three questions are based upon schedules published in the first half of 1988

11. As of early 1988, this airline offered the only nonstop flight from the state of Florida to Bermuda. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized. HINT: It was a wide bodied aircraft

13. A thorough perusal of the OAG has revealed that in early 1988, this airline offered the only nonstop DC-8 service between the US and a Caribbean destination. Identify the airline, the route and the model of DC-8 utilized. A N S W E R E D

15. Traverse City, Michigan was served by a single jet flight each day. Please identify the airline, the equipment and the route. A N S W E R E D

The following two questions are based upon schedules published in the summer of 1968

18. If you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 between Miami and Kingston, what airline would you call to book your flight upon? A N S W E R E D

19. Only two airlines provided nonstop service between New York and Montego Bay, Jamaica – both of them operating 707s. Identify each airline (Hint: BOAC was not one of them) A N S W E R E D

The following three questions are based upon schedules published in the summer of 1992

24. Once flown by everything from 707s to L-1011s to BAC-111s, during the summer of '92 the Miami to Nassau route was being served by a multitude of propeller driven aircraft and only a single daily jet flight. Identify the airline and the jet aircraft serving this route back then. A N S W E R E D

25. 727-100s were well into their twilight years by 1992. Indeed, only a few scant schedules remained flown in North America. In the summer of 1992, three airlines operated 727-100s from three different Caribbean destinations into three different U.S. gateway cities. Can you identify the airlines and city pairs? HINT: We're dealing with two Caribbean airlines and one US airline

26. Once the province of wide-bodied aircraft such as Pan Am 747s and Eastern L-1011s, in the summer of 1992 the Bermuda to New York market is served by just a single wide-bodied flight. Identify the airline and twin-aisled aircraft serving this market. A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 9, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here are the remainder of the questions - complete with hints...

summer of 1968 ...
18. If you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 between Miami and Kingston, what airline would you call to book your flight upon? HINT: MIA-KIN was only the first leg of this flight
how about Viasa?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
18. If you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 between Miami and Kingston, what airline would you call to book your flight upon? HINT: MIA-KIN was only the first leg of this flight

how about Viasa?

It wasn't VIASA, but the flight in question did terminate at a point not far from Venezuela...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I recall submitting this erroneous guess a couple weeks ago on a similar question about Caribbean airlines, so here we go again: ALM, operating MIA-KIN-AUA (Aruba)
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. Once the province of wide-bodied aircraft such as Pan Am 747s and Eastern L-1011s, in the summer of 1992 the Bermuda to New York market is served by just a single wide-bodied flight. Identify the airline and twin-aisled aircraft serving this market. HINT: jrl767 came close - very close. This flight departed from Newark...
jrl767 I can't recall Continental running a 767 or DC-10 out of Newark to BDA, so how about American with the A-300 from JFK
Seat 2A An American A300 would seem a likely suspect, but alas, it was a different airline. Better check that recall
jrl767 well, that's certainly a thinly veiled hint if I have ever seen one, so hazarding a guess that the airline was indeed CO leaves me a 50-50 shot at guessing the equipment ... on the "go big or go home" theory, let's say it was a D10
based on the hint of "close - very close" here's my last shot for the day: a Continental 767-224
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jrl767
18. If you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 between Miami and Kingston, what airline would you call to book your flight upon?

how about Viasa?

Per Seat 2A:It wasn't VIASA, but the flight in question did terminate at a point not far from Venezuela...

Per jrl767: I recall submitting this erroneous guess a couple weeks ago on a similar question about Caribbean airlines, so here we go again: ALM, operating MIA-KIN-AUA (Aruba)

The schedules show "KLM" and so far as I know KLM actually did operate its own liveried aircraft in the Caribbean. What's interesting is that this flight (MIA-KIN-CUR) is branded KL (KLM) whereas many other intra-Caribbean flights emanating out of Aruba or Curacao are branded LM (ALM). Perhaps it has something to do with a flight originating in the U.S.

In any event, per the schedule the airline was KLM and the flight continued on to Curacao.

As always, we welcome any further elucidation on this question
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Seat 2A
26. Once the province of wide-bodied aircraft such as Pan Am 747s and Eastern L-1011s, in the summer of 1992 the Bermuda to New York market is served by just a single wide-bodied flight. Identify the airline and twin-aisled aircraft serving this market.
HINT: jrl767 came close - very close. This flight departed from Newark...

jrl767 I can't recall Continental running a 767 or DC-10 out of Newark to BDA, so how about American with the A-300 from JFK

Seat 2A An American A300 would seem a likely suspect, but alas, it was a different airline. Better check that recall

jrl767 well, that's certainly a thinly veiled hint if I have ever seen one, so hazarding a guess that the airline was indeed CO leaves me a 50-50 shot at guessing the equipment ... on the "go big or go home" theory, let's say it was a D10

based on the hint of "close - very close" here's my last shot for the day: a Continental 767-224

Your last shot? Okay - here's how close you were... It was Continental, operating an Airbus A300.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

despite seeing occasional references in the Quiz, I never -- but NEVER -- associate CO with the AB3

oh well ... to quote one of my former Flight Test colleagues, "Onwards and sideways!"
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

10. This airline – which operated a variety of different Convair props (as well as other aircraft) over its lifetime – flew only a single route in 1974, offering six weekday Convair flights (all of them operated X67) between these two airports, as well as a single Sunday only flight. Identify the airline, the two airports served and – if you feel up to it – the type of Convair shown in the 1974 schedules. HINT: This airline operated between two cities east of Chicago...

13. A thorough perusal of the OAG has revealed that in early 1988, this airline offered the only nonstop DC-8 service between the US and a Caribbean destination. Identify the airline, the route and the model of DC-8 utilized. HINT: We discussed this airline just recently... At that time it was not the answer to the question, but now it is
10. Sure sounds like Wright Air Lines operating between Detroit City Airport (DET) and Cleveland Burke Lakefront (BKL). They did operate several Convair turboprop models (the CV-600 and perhaps the CV-580 and CV-640 as well although I'm not entirely sure about the last two); however, in 1974 I think they were flying a recip on this route: the Convair 440.

13. Ah, this may be the elusive Hispaniola Airways operating nonstop between Miami and Puerto Plata in the D.R. Aircraft type? Perhaps a DC-8-50......

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 8, 2014 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
despite seeing occasional references in the Quiz, I never -- but NEVER -- associate CO with the AB3

oh well ... to quote one of my former Flight Test colleagues, "Onwards and sideways!"
I flew on Airbus A300 aircraft operated by Continental several times, notably between LAX and IAH and also between SFO and IAH....in first class, no less.

I think these A300 aircraft may have come from Eastern.....but I'm not real sure about this.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
[b]10. This airline – which operated a variety of different Convair props (as well as other aircraft) over its lifetime – flew only a single route in 1974, offering six weekday Convair flights (all of them operated X67) between these two airports, as well as a single Sunday only flight. Identify the airline, the two airports served and – if you feel up to it – the type of Convair shown in the 1974 schedules.

Sure sounds like Wright Air Lines operating between Detroit City Airport (DET) and Cleveland Burke Lakefront (BKL). They did operate several Convair turboprop models (the CV-600 and perhaps the CV-580 and CV-640 as well although I'm not entirely sure about the last two); however, in 1974 I think the were flying a recip on this route: the Convair 440.

Bingo!

13. A thorough perusal of the OAG has revealed that in early 1988, this airline offered the only nonstop DC-8 service between the US and a Caribbean destination. Identify the airline, the route and the model of DC-8 utilized.

Ah, this may be the elusive Hispaniola Airways operating nonstop between Miami and Puerto Plata in the D.R. Aircraft type? Perhaps a DC-8-50......

Indeed it was! Based upon photos I could find on the internet, it was a -55
Sorry that I'm not at home or I could provide schedules. Still can later if any of you'd like...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I flew on Airbus A300 aircraft operated by Continental several times, notably between LAX and IAH and also between SFO and IAH....in first class, no less.

I think these A300 aircraft may have come from Eastern.....but I'm not real sure about this.
I good number of Continental's AB3s were ex-Eastern birds. I flew on a couple that still bore their EA registrations. I'm pretty sure CO also had some delivered direct from the factory as well. There's bound to be a CO fleet matrix out there somewhere... or perhaps even a WHBM...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...There's bound to be a CO fleet matrix out there somewhere...
http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/C...story-a300.htm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19. Only two airlines provided nonstop service between New York and Montego Bay, Jamaica (in 1968)– both of them operating 707s. Identify each airline (Hint: BOAC was not one of them) HINT: Pan Am was one operator. The other leased its 707, which was operated in the leasing airlines' livery but with the lessee's titles
19. Well, good to know I correctly guessed Pan Am! Old PA had quite the network in the Caribbean back then, followed by Eastern and then American......all past tense now, although AA has somewhat shifted their Caribbean service to the MIA hub following the shut down of their SJU hub. Pity....AA Eagle (operated by Executive Airlines) and their ATR-72 aircraft were a usually reliable source of air transport in the Caribbean from San Juan, especially to those islands that could not support AA mainline jet service. I flew on them a number of times......

However, I digress.....and who was that other 707 operator back in 1968? Well, I seem to recall that good old BOAC tended to assist much smaller air carriers in those areas of the world that had British influence back in the day.....such as Jamaica. So perhaps it was Air Jamaica operating a Boeing 707 that had been leased from BOAC.....and it would not surprise me to learn that BOAC flight crews had something to do with the actual operation of the aircraft. Paging WHBM!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19. Only two airlines provided nonstop service between New York and Montego Bay, Jamaica (in 1968)– both of them operating 707s. Identify each airline (Hint: BOAC was not one of them)

Well, good to know I correctly guessed Pan Am! Old PA had quite the network in the Caribbean back then, followed by Eastern and then American... and who was that other 707 operator back in 1968? Well, I seem to recall that good old BOAC tended to assist much smaller air carriers in those areas of the world that had British influence back in the day.....such as Jamaica. So perhaps it was Air Jamaica operating a Boeing 707 that had been leased from BOAC.....and it would not surprise me to learn that BOAC flight crews had something to do with the actual operation of the aircraft. Paging WHBM!

Way to go, Mr. L! BOAC it was, with a beautiful Cunard liveried 707 sporting gold Air Jamaica titles on the black background. But was it actually black? Sometimes I look at it and think I see just a hint of blue - like perhaps midnight blue or deep indigo blue. Paging WHBM...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 8, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.