Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It is actually Air France. Unfortunately, by the time I logged a flight in 1980 aboard an Air France 747 between Houston and Mexico City, the upstairs lounge had been replaced by dingy gray seats.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, it's a stormy Saturday afternoon here in south Louisiana....and it's Mardi Gras weekend to boot!

So how about some more questions?

Here we go.....

1) What airline operated B727-200 service into Monroe, Louisiana and what is the significance of this small city to the airline?

2) Name all of the jet aircraft types operated by Aloha Airlines.

3) What airline provided jet service into Tunica, Mississippi?

4) Name all of the former operators of the B717 in the western hemisphere.

5) What airline operated DC-8 Super 60 series aircraft nonstop between Chicago and Montego Bay, Jamaica?

6) What airline operated B707 service between New York (JFK) and the former international airport for Montreal (Mirabel)?

7) What airline operated B720 service nonstop between Honolulu and Oakland, California?

8) What airline operated B747 service nonstop between Oakland, California and New York/Newark (EWR)?

9) What type of jet aircraft did Royale Airlines operate? And what type of turboprop aircraft did this airline operate as well?

And finally, in honor of Seat 2A's 1000th flight on AS (drum roll, please)..........

10) What is length and location of the shortest runway ever served by a jet aircraft type operated by Alaska Airlines?

BTW, my first flight on AS was back in October of 1986. Aircraft was a B727-200 on a routing of ANC-SEA-ONT-BUR and I was up in first class. This was back when they served excellent steaks in the front cabin. Great service!
I'll go ahead and answer the final question here, which is #9 above....

Royale Airlines operated the DC-9 series 10. This Louisiana-based commuter airline also operated several different turboprop models, including the Embraer EMB-110 "Bandierante", the Beechcraft 99 and a stretched airline version of the Gulfstream G-1 business turboprop. They were an all turboprop commuter carrier before adding the DC-9s which apparently led to financial difficulties and the subsequent failure of the airline. Royale had an agreement with Continental for feed traffic at IAH which included the DC-9 service. I flew on Royale operated EMB-110 aircraft several times (MSY-LFT-LCH and also LCH-BPT-IAH) during the summer months. Talk about an extremely hot and humid cabin! The air conditioning system simply could not keep up with the tropical weather conditions present along the Gulf Coast during that time of year. And bouncing around thunderstorms while en route in the back of the "Bandit" was quite interesting, to say the least!

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 21, 2012 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:31 am
Suspended

Okay. I'm out.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Lounge Number 4
Hi there! Lounge #4 would be aboard Qantas (QF) 747-200s.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by N702ML
Okay. I'm out.
But wait! What U.S. airline was the first to operate the Fokker F-28?

We are still awaiting the answer!

Was it Empire?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
But wait! What U.S. airline was the first to operate the Fokker F-28?

We are still awaiting the answer!

Was it Empire?
Yes, by one month (9/15/80) vs. Altair (10/15/80).
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Yes, by one month (9/15/80) vs. Altair (10/15/80).
Thanks, Wally Bird. Empire was a guess on my part.

I also seem to recall that Empire purchased used F-28 aircraft from Altair after the latter ceased operating due to financial difficulties.

And, of course, the Empire operated F-28s then migrated to Piedmont when PI acquired Empire.

Here's another question: What aircraft manufacturer proposed to build a version of the F-28 in the U.S. and what was the model designation? Note: this project never got off the ground (no pun intended)......
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Hi there! Lounge #4 would be aboard Qantas (QF) 747-200s.
Good on ya, mate! I love this photo as it really captures flying being more than just mere transport but actually being enjoyable - indeed even fun. I had the good fortune to fly aboard a lounge equipped Qantas 747 back in 1976. Sadly, the lounge got very little use on the YVR-SFO-HNL flight. Flying aboard United on a different trip back from Honolulu was very much like this though. Lounges were great!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Thanks, Wally Bird. Empire was a guess on my part.

I also seem to recall that Empire purchased used F-28 aircraft from Altair after the latter ceased operating due to financial difficulties.

And, of course, the Empire operated F-28s then migrated to Piedmont when PI acquired Empire.

Here's another question: What aircraft manufacturer proposed to build a version of the F-28 in the U.S. and what was the model designation? Note: this project never got off the ground (no pun intended)......
That was the Fairchild-Hiller FH228 (like the F.27/FH227 arrangement) but F-H decided to simply market the F.28 instead. They received 10 airplanes registered N280 to 298FH most of which ended up in S.America.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
That was the Fairchild-Hiller FH228 (like the F.27/FH227 arrangement) but F-H decided to simply market the F.28 instead. They received 10 airplanes registered N280 to 298FH most of which ended up in S.America.
Correct! I believe the 228 was going to be even smaller than the F-28 series 1000 at around 50 seats or so. And had they gone ahead with the aircraft, F-H would have beat Canadair and Embraer to the market with a small 50 pax jet by many years.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:19 pm

Aloha Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines

So I have two main questions for you about the two famous Hawaii-based carriers:

1.) Some of you know that Aloha Airlines (AQ) once operated Vickers Viscount aircraft between the Hawaiian Islands. Yet, Aloha also operated another turboprop aircraft type years before the start of Viscount service. What was this aircraft type, that made AQ, "Hawaii's Jet Powered Airline"? Hint: the plane was filmed in the movie, Blue Hawaii, with Elvis Presley.

2.) In 1964, before Hawaiian Airlines (HA) started turboprop and jet service, HA operated the largest piston-powered airline fleet between the Hawaiian Islands. What was HA's fleet composed of before the implementation of jet powered service?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have two main questions for you about the two famous Hawaii-based carriers:

1.) Some of you know that Aloha Airlines (AQ) once operated Vickers Viscount aircraft between the Hawaiian Islands. Yet, Aloha also operated another turboprop aircraft type years before the start of Viscount service. What was this aircraft type, that made AQ, "Hawaii's Jet Powered Airline"? Hint: the plane was filmed in the movie, Blue Hawaii, with Elvis Presley.

2.) In 1964, before Hawaiian Airlines (HA) started turboprop and jet service, HA operated the largest piston-powered airline fleet between the Hawaiian Islands. What was HA's fleet composed of before the implementation of jet powered service?
1) Well, you actually beat me to the (Hawaiian) punch with this first question! My question was going to be: Name two Hawaiian-based airlines that operated the F-27 turboprop. And so that is my answer: the Fairchild F-27. I also believe that Aloha's F-27s were modified by the manufacturer to have a stronger fuselage that would be more resistant to damage in the event the aircraft had to ditch. So that leaves the question: What other Hawaiian-based airline also operated the F-27?

2) I believe HA operated both the Douglas DC-6 and Convair 340.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Excellent post and research above. Let me add one to that -

Ft. Worth to Dallas. I have a 1966 OAG that shows Eastern running a 727 on the route. I believe Braniff or American had a jet flight on this route as well. I'll be home in a couple of days and will try to verify this.

Also, West Coast/Air West/ Hughes Air West used to operate an F27 between Seattle and Tacoma.

Additionally, Air West also used to fly LAX-Riverside with its F27s.
Hey, thanks for the kind words, Seat 2A!

Another interesting short haul jet route was between Phoenix (PHX) and Tucson (TUS) back in February of 1976.

American operated three B707 flights a day to TUS from PHX (I think you flew on one of these flights), Hughes Air West flew DC-9s and DC-9-30s up to five times a day and also operated one F-27 turboprop flight, the original Frontier had three B737-200 services per day, TWA had two B727 flights (a 727-100 and a 727-200) plus a Saturday only B707 service and Continental operated one B727-200 flight a day. One way air fare in F PHX-TUS was $34.00 although CO offered a night F fare of $25.00 one way. Or one could rough it and fly on a Cochise Airlines Cessna 402 for $22.25 one way.

Heading back the other way to PHX from TUS, service was about the same....except AA flew four times a day with the B707, CO flew twice a day with the B727-200 and TWA operated a daily B707 flight in addition to one daily B727-200 service. The distance between PHX and TUS is 111 miles.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:23 pm

1) Well, you actually beat me to the (Hawaiian) punch with this first question! My question was going to be: Name two Hawaiian-based airlines that operated the F-27 turboprop. And so that is my answer: the Fairchild F-27. I also believe that Aloha's F-27s were modified by the manufacturer to have a stronger fuselage that would be more resistant to damage in the event the aircraft had to ditch. So that leaves the question: What other Hawaiian-based airline also operated the F-27?

2) I believe HA operated both the Douglas DC-6 and Convair 340.
You are correct on numbers 1 and 2!

Growing up in Hawaii, I rode AQ's F-27s all the time. The high wing design attracted a lot of customers because the plane afforded uninterrupted views of the scenery below. I also recalled a newspaper article stating that AQ selected the F-27 for safety reasons because of the plane's ability to stay afloat during a potential emergency ditch. This supports what you are saying about AQ ordering F-27s with stronger fuselages.

Yes, HA operated the Douglas DC-6B and Convair 340 (aka Super Convair). One correction, though: HA still operated Douglas DC-3s in 1964! As a kid, I rode on all three plane types. I will never forget riding on the Douglas DC-3, watching the engines having long propellor turns during start-up. I also never forgot watching the stewardess walking "uphill" in the cabin with high-heeled shoes. Equally never forgotten was also watching the same stewardess come back "downhill" walking with high-heels.

So, jlemon, the other Hawaii-based airline that flew the F-27 was Mahalo Airlines?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct on numbers 1 and 2!

Growing up in Hawaii, I rode AQ's F-27s all the time. The high wing design attracted a lot of customers because the plane afforded uninterrupted views of the scenery below. I also recalled a newspaper article stating that AQ selected the F-27 for safety reasons because of the plane's ability to stay afloat during a potential emergency ditch. This supports what you are saying about AQ ordering F-27s with stronger fuselages.

Yes, HA operated the Douglas DC-6B and Convair 340 (aka Super Convair). One correction, though: HA still operated Douglas DC-3s in 1964! As a kid, I rode on all three plane types. I will never forget riding on the Douglas DC-3, watching the engines having long propellor turns during start-up. I also never forgot watching the stewardess walking "uphill" in the cabin with high-heeled shoes. Equally never forgotten was also watching the same stewardess come back "downhill" walking with high-heels.

So, jlemon, the other Hawaii-based airline that flew the F-27 was Mahalo Airlines?
Correct! I worked for Mahalo Air after they had transitioned from the F-27 to the ATR-42. I remember being in a meeting where the CEO of Mahalo Air wanted the maintenance dept. to return the F-27s to service in order to back up the ATR-42s and also provide extra lift when required. The Director of Maintenance was horrified as the F-27s were real basket cases (and hangar queens) at that point, and would have consumed a large amount of money (which Mahalo Air was short of) in order to become airworthy once again. The F-27s were not operated again by Mahalo Air and the airline ceased operating not too long after that due to financial difficulties.....

That was my last airline job. I still work in the aviation industry but not in the airline business.

And I still enjoy flying on various airlines at the ripe old age of 58 and am looking forward to our next trip to the north shore of Kauai!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.