Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: All of them!
12/15/78 (fill in airline name)

"-------- is growing
where America is going"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57

1985- Binghamton, NY to ALB, air carrier using BE1--code was SS
I believe this was Brockway Air (SS) with the Beechcraft 1900C.

Brockway had acquired Air North around this time as well. Air North was a Fokker F27 operator (F27 aircraft were ex-Swift Aire, a San Luis Obispo, CA based commuter/regional) and also flew the stretched, 37-pax Gulfstream I-C turboprop.....
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: All of them!
JLEMON is correct with Brockway Air!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1974- Portland, ME PWM/BOS- also four airlines using DTO,72S,B99 and TC4

Delta - 727-200
Air New England - DHC-6 Twin Otter
Bar Harbor Airlines - Beech 99

As for the Cessna... I dunno... how 'bout Pilgrim Air?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1974- Portland, ME PWM/BOS- also four airlines using DTO,72S,B99 and TC4

Delta - 727-200
Air New England - DHC-6 Twin Otter
Bar Harbor Airlines - Beech 99

As for the Cessna... I dunno... how 'bout Pilgrim Air?
And I thought I knew my OAG aircraft codes.....what the heck is a "TC4"?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And I thought I knew my OAG aircraft codes.....what the heck is a "TC4"?
According to one of my OAGs, it's the code for Twin Cessna 402 Turbo System.
And the operator was Borrego Springs Airline (OO)

Last edited by miniliq; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:46 am Reason: add operator
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Borrego Springs Airline? In New England? (The only Borrego Springs I know of is in the desert mountains east of San Diego)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Borrego Springs Airline? In New England? (The only Borrego Springs I know of is in the desert mountains east of San Diego)
Yep. Borrego Springs operated as Sun Aire (sic) Lines connecting Borrego Springs with Palm Springs and San Diego in the 70s. Acquired by SkyWest (yes the same SkyWest that flies CJ200s today) in the 80s. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with East Coast.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
I put my glasses on and looked again -- How about QO, not OO -- Bar Harbor Airlines!

That makes more sense.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Yep. Borrego Springs operated as Sun Aire (sic) Lines connecting Borrego Springs with Palm Springs and San Diego in the 70s. Acquired by SkyWest (yes the same SkyWest that flies CJ200s today) in the 80s. Pretty sure that has nothing to do with East Coast.
I flew on Sun Aire a number of times back in the day on such routings as SMX-LAX, SBA-LAX and PSP-LAX. My flights were all on the Swearingen Metro II which featured three bladed props and dinky little passenger seats that folded down so one could put their feet up if there was no one seated in front of you.

Borrego Springs was the location of a new residential and resort development out in the desert east of L.A./San Diego in the middle of nowhere and I think Sun Aire may have been created in order to support this development. The Sun Aire route system continued to expand and then along came the boys from St. George looking to acquire another commuter air carrier. And so Sun Aire was folded into SkyWest (which, BTW, I believe also operates CRJ-700 and CRJ-900 aircraft these days in addition to the CRJ-200 as well as some elderly Embraer EMB-120 "Brasilia" turboprops). I also remember taking my first ride on a brand spanking new CRJ-200 from BUR to SLC via Delta Connection service operated by SkyWest.

I believe SkyWest got its first code share deal operating for Western Airlines as Western Express with Metroliners. Back around this time, a SkyWest V.P. offered yours truly a marketing position with the airline which I declined. And when Delta acquired Western, SkyWest became a Delta Connection air carrier feeding the DL hubs at LAX and SLC. The rest (including SkyWest's subsequent deal with United to become a UA Express carrier in California) is history......
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Friday Evening All!

First and foremost, a big Thank You to cs57 for stepping up to the plate and submitting several quiz items. Much appreciated, sir! And it appears there may be at least one his questions left unanswered above so please check it out.

Meantime, my lady and yours truly were planning to have dinner this evening at an elegant little Italian restaurant here in town.....however, after five to eight inches of rain in the LFT area over the past 24 hours with the possibility of more tonight, we've decided to stay home, sip on a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon from Paso Robles and cook up a big pot of Cajun jambalaya.....and this plan also enables me to submit a new batch of OTA&AQ quiz items!

So here we go one more time.....and as always, please limit your answers to two or three quiz items so that all may participate.

1) Fill in the name of the airline that made this statement: "Yes sir, Texas International serves nine states and Mexico." ANSWERED

2) Name the airline that used this marketing statement: "Isle seats to Maui." Western Airlines.....The Only Way To Fly. ANSWERED

3) Identify the airline that used this marketing slogan to promote its new service in 1985: "Something fresh in the air." ANSWERED

4) Fill in the blank concerning this airline marketing statement: "Slip into L.A. the easy way on the Top Banana." ANSWERED

5) Provide the name of the air carrier with regard to this statement: "TWA introduces "Foreign Accent" flights inside USA" ANSWERED

6) Identify the only airline ever to operate jet service with mainline equipment directly between Abilene (ABI) and Denver (DEN) as well as the aircraft type. And for bonus points, name the intermediate stop between ABI and DEN on this route. ANSWERED

7) What is the largest jet aircraft type ever to serve Columbia, SC (CAE) and what scheduled passenger airline operated it? ANSWERED

8) What is the largest jet aircraft type ever to serve Rhinelander, WI (RHI) and what scheduled passenger airline operated it? ANSWERED

9) What is the largest jet aircraft type ever to serve Birmingham, AL (BHM) and what scheduled passenger airline operated it? ANSWERED

10) It's 1964 and you are in Terre Haute, Indiana. You need to travel to Washington, D.C. and discover that one airline flies direct to National Airport on a daily basis with two intermediate stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment you'll be flying on and the two intermediate stops. ANSWERED

11) Also in 1964, this airline was flying direct one stop service every Thursday from New York JFK to Tunis, Tunisia (TUN). Name the airline, the aircraft type operated on the route and the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

The following eight quiz items all have a time line of 1965:

12) What was the primary aircraft type being operated by Eastern at this time on its hourly air shuttle service between New York LaGuardia and Washington National? ANSWERED

13) At this time, how many departures a day were being operated by United from Atlanta on a weekday basis?

14) Staying with United's Atlanta service, UA was operating five different aircraft types into ATL at this time. Name all five. ANSWERED

15) This airline was operating a daily milk run route at this time from Brownsville (BRO) to New Orleans (MSY). Six intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment operated on the route and all six stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

16) You are in St. Louis and need to travel to Bermuda. You discover that one airline operates daily one stop service and better yet, first class is offered as well as coach. Name the airline you'll be flying on in first class as well as the aircraft type and the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

17) This air carrier was operating a daily milk run route from Atlanta to Miami at this time. Six intermediate stops were made en route. Name the airline, the aircraft type and all six stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

18) This airline was operating direct, no change of plane service on a daily basis at this time from West Palm Beach (PBI) to Charleston, West Virginia (CRW). Two stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and both intermediate stops. ANSWERED

19) You are in Newark and the question is.....why? Just kidding! However, you do need to travel to Corpus Christi and there is a very good reason: it concerns your good friend and sailing buddy from Santa Barbara who has just purchased a catamaran in Corpus and will be sailing it back to southern California via the Panama Canal. Of course, you're on board with this adventure! You quickly discover there is a direct flight leaving in the morning from EWR to CRP which makes five intermediate stops en route and first class is available. Name the airline you'll be flying on in first as well as the aircraft and all five stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

20) In 1978, this airline was flying nonstop once a week from Grand Cayman (GCM) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL). Name the air carrier and the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

21) Name an airline that operated nonstop jet service with mainline equipment between Little Rock (LIT) and Jackson (JAN) in the late 70's. Also identify the aircraft used on the route. ANSWERED

22) Also at one point during the late 70's, Braniff was operating two different aircraft types between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Las Vegas. Name both aircraft. ANSWERED

23) Staying with Braniff during this same time frame, BN was flying three different aircraft types nonstop between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Washington Dulles. Identify all three types. ANSWERED

24) In 1979, this airline was operating a milk run flight six days a week from International Falls, MN (INL) to Chicago O'Hare. Six intermediate stops were made en route. Name the air carrier, the equipment flown on the route and all six stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

25) In 1981, Pacific Western Airlines (PW) was operating Boeing 737-200 jet service into no less than fourteen different destinations in British Columbia including Vancouver (YVR). There were thirteen different nonstop routes operated to YVR by Pacific Western with the 73S and not all of them were operated on a daily basis. Name all thirteen of these PW destinations in B.C. ANSWERED

26) In 1991, MGM Grand Air was operating luxury jet service nonstop between Los Angeles and New York City with the Douglas DC8. And MGM Grand Air was also operating another aircraft type painted in its livery on a feeder service between LAX and another destination in California. Identify this aircraft as well as the route. ANSWERED

27) In 1992, this regional air carrier was operating a diverse route system that stretched as far east as Terre Haute, Indiana and as far west as Alpine, Texas. Name this airline. And here's a hint: this was not a code share service, it was an independent operation. ANSWERED

28) In 1994, only one airline was flying nonstop between Miami and St. Thomas with one daily round trip flight. Name this air carrier and the equipment it was operating on the route. ANSWERED

29) In 1996, only one air carrier was flying nonstop between Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Aspen (ASE). Identify this airline and the aircraft it was operating on the route. ANSWERED

30) In late 1996, this airline introduced daily nonstop service between Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale with a 737. Name the air carrier and also identify the specific 737 model flown on the route. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 28, 2014 at 8:17 pm Reason: quiz item correction & clarifications & answer updates
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many thanks to our pal jlemon for a superb batch of new questions presented as only he can.

1) Fill in the name of the airline that made this statement: "Yes sir, __________ serves nine states and Mexico."

I'm pretty sure this was Texas International, mainly because I seem to recall that back in the early 70s, there used to be a sign on the forward bulkhead of the DC-9s saying "Yes Sir, Texas International!"

5) Provide the name of the air carrier with regard to this statement: "_____ introduces "Foreign Accent" flights inside USA"

This sounds like TWA in conjunction with their premium Ambassador Service flights. Boy, flying sure was fun back then!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;23220934]Many thanks to our pal jlemon for a superb batch of new questions presented as only he can.

Fill in the name of the airline that made this statement: "Yes sir, __________ serves nine states and Mexico."

I'm pretty sure this was Texas International, mainly because I seem to recall that back in the early 70s, there used to be a sign on the forward bulkhead of the DC-9s saying "Yes Sir, Texas International!"

5) Provide the name of the air carrier with regard to this statement: "_____ introduces "Foreign Accent" flights inside USA"

This sounds like TWA in conjunction with their premium Ambassador Service flights. Boy, flying sure was fun back then!
1) Yes sir, TI is correct!

5) And TWA is correct as well! This "Foreign Accent" service was introduced by Trans World in 1968 on routes between California and New York or Chicago. Four different themes were featured depending on the specific flight including French, Italian, "Olde English" and "Manhattan Penthouse" with flight attendants dressed to match the service. The ad copy stated, "On board, you'll find a whole new atmosphere. Foreign music, foreign magazines and newspapers. And the best in foreign cuisine." However, no matter which "Foreign Accent" service was offered, TWA also made this statement in their ads: "Yes, you may still enjoy steak cooked to order. That's our specialty."

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 19, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:20 pm

10) It's 1964 and you are in Terre Haute, Indiana. You need to travel to Washington, D.C. and discover that one airline flies direct to National Airport on a daily basis with two intermediate stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment you'll be flying on and the two intermediate stops.

11) Also in 1964, this airline was flying direct one stop service every Thursday from New York JFK to Tunis, Tunisia (TUN). Name the airline, the aircraft type operated on the route and the intermediate stop.
Great bunch of questions as usual!
10) I'll go with TWA, with a Constellation on a milk run that began in Wichita, then MKC, STL, Terre Haute (HUF), Indianapolis, Cleveland and DCA. I believe all of my TWA experiences in those days was on its 707s, and I really enjoyed first class JFK-Rome and Frankfurt.

11) I'll speculate this was also TWA, using a 707 wth an intermediate stop in Madrid, although there also could have been a stop in Lisbon.

And as far as lawnmower reports goes, I'll have to get mine fitted with a snorkel if I try to do anything tomorrow. So instead I'll pick up downed branches and limbs from the intense rain squalls that have come through.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7) What is the largest jet aircraft type ever to serve Columbia, SC (CAE) and what airline operated it?

The last time I flew into Columbia was aboard a United 727-200 in 1984, but I'm going to submit that Delta probably operated a 757-200 into CAE at one time or another. Then again... that almost sounds too easy. Still, that's what ah 'mon stick with, provided we're limiting our response to scheduled service flights. If we're including cargo airlines into the mix, I'll go whole hog and say a 747 has probably passed through there at some point or another!

14) Staying with United's Atlanta service, UA was operating five different aircraft types into ATL at this time (1965). Name all five.

Clicking down a mental checklist suggests...

Boeing 720
Boeing 727
Sud Aviation Caravelle
Douglas DC-6
Vickers Viscount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.