Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
jlemon may have unknowingly nailed this one ... his "close but no cigar" guess for question #10 (a 707 on a US <--> Caribbean routing) was Hispaniola Airways, JFK <--> Puerto Plata (and he actually mentioned that ZS operated a DC-8)
Yep......close but no Macanudo!

Which brings us to quiz item #23, The WHBM Special...

Perhaps this was Hispaniola Airways (ZS) as well operating a DC8 between Puerto Plata (POP) and Port Au Prince (PAP)......

And here's a bonus quiz item: in early 1976, this airline was operating jet service twice a week nonstop between Port Au Prince and Nassau. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And here's a bonus quiz item: in early 1976, this airline was operating jet service twice a week nonstop between Port Au Prince and Nassau. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type.
I'll try Bahamasair (UP) with a BAC-111

Last edited by miniliq; Jul 10, 2014 at 6:53 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll try Bahamasair (UP) with a BAC-111
Correct! Bahamasair was operating round trip flights on Fridays and Sundays only with a BAC One-Eleven nonstop between Nassau and Port Au Prince at this time......

And here are several more quiz items from early in 1976.....

Identify the only airline to operate nonstop jet service at this time between Nassau (NAS) and:

A) Bermuda (BDA) ANSWERED

B) Chicago (ORD) ANSWERED

C) Detroit (DTW) Partially answered

D) Merida, Mexico (MID) ANSWERED

E) Mexico City (MEX) ANSWERED

F) Rock Sound, Bahamas (RSD) ANSWERED

Also identify the equipment used on each route.

Of course, several different airlines are involved here.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 14, 2014 at 9:18 am Reason: additional info & answer updates
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Bag recovered.

Didn't the 1970s movie What's Up Doc (B Streisand et al) start like this ? The closing shots were filmed in San Francisco airport terminal in September 1971, just as I was passing through one evening. I'm not in shot (I've looked) in the crowd scene. A few minutes before I had seen my first ever DC-10, there was an American one pulled up at a gate as I arrived. I think it was after the first AA delivery but before services started, although there were several of American's flying with the manufacturer by then; could have been one of those.
Glad to hear it all worked out with regard to the errant bag!

I remember seeing my first DC-10 as well: I was connecting at Chicago O'Hare and the airline was also American. It was the first time I had seen red anti-collision strobe lights on the top and bottom of the fuselage of an airliner rather than the old style revolving red beacons.

And as for Hollywood and the movies, I'm actually in a film but only for a very brief shot. In the original theatrical version, you actually see me walking toward the camera. However, in the subsequent home video release as well as the version which is shown on various cable networks on television these days (and this movie is still shown from time to time as it proved to very popular), that scene was edited a bit and I no longer can be seen walking toward the camera.

This film was shot in the early 1990's. The shot I'm in features a helicopter at night with the rotor blades turning and a whole bunch of actresses dressed as nuns disembarking from the aircraft. Anyone care to guess the name of this movie?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: All of them!
1976--Rock Sound, Bahamas--Nassau -- I think this was Pan Am on a 707 that started from JFK.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
...several more quiz items from early in 1976.....

Identify the only airline to operate nonstop jet service at this time between Nassau (NAS) and:

A) Bermuda (BDA) ...
this could have been British Airways with a VC-10

E) Mexico City (MEX) was likely also BA but I'm thinking a 707 on this run

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 10, 2014 at 8:29 pm Reason: add MEX
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
1976--Rock Sound, Bahamas--Nassau -- I think this was Pan Am on a 707 that started from JFK.
F) Correct! In fact, at this time, Pan Am was the only airline operating service into Rock Sound (RSD) as no other air carrier including Bahamasair served this destination.

And therein lies an interesting follow up question (not a quiz item) for the gang which I'll submit this weekend along with the complete sched for the above PA service into Rock Sound.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this could have been British Airways with a VC-10

E) Mexico City (MEX) was likely also BA but I'm thinking a 707 on this run
A) British Airways is correct; however, the equipment on this flight was not a VC-10.

E) Incorrect concerning both the airline and the aircraft type.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
15. It used to be you could fly between New York-JFK and Las Vegas aboard a TWA 747 or a United DC-8-61. Now neither airline offers nonstop service on this route. Identify the only airline and respective aircraft offering nonstop service on the JFK-LAS route.

20. If you want to fly between New York-JFK and Denver aboard a four engine jet, only two airlines can satisfy your requirement. Identify the airlines and their respective aircraft flown on this route.

50/50 time ... on the basis of fleet size and utilization I'll go with the UA DC-8-61/71

Is this your answer for both questions?

Per question 15, a UA DC-8-61 used to fly the JFK-LAS route. In late 1984 however, that's no longer the case as only one single airline flies now flies the route. Please guess again!

As to question #20, we established per your earlier submission that one of the aircraft was either a United DC-8-71 or a TWA 747. However, the challenge in providing a correct answer lies in identifying both airlines and their respective aircraft correctly. Were I to routinely accept just half of the answer (which I ultimately will if a question proves consistently difficult for everyone) then the question becomes waaaay easier.

Challenge yourself, man! Go for both airlines! Then I'll letcha know how you fared.
9. In the fall of 1984, only one airline offers nonstop standard DC-8 service between a continental US gateway city and a Caribbean destination. Identify the airline and the route.

jlemon may have unknowingly nailed this one ... his "close but no cigar" guess for question #10 (a 707 on a US <--> Caribbean routing) was Hispaniola Airways, JFK <--> Puerto Plata (and he actually mentioned that ZS operated a DC-8)

An excellent guess but alas, it is incorrect. Think about Caribbean DC-8 operators...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 11, 2014 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
sorry boss ... I only included the JFK-LAS service in my original answer as a reference ... here simply forgot to put guess #2 in there when answering your "which one was it?" with respect to JFK-DEN

UA D8S and TW 707
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Which brings us to quiz item #23, The WHBM Special: Identify this airline which in late 1984 offered scheduled DC-8 service on the 139 mile route between Port Au Prince, Haiti and Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic....

Perhaps this was Hispaniola Airways (ZS) as well operating a DC8 between Puerto Plata (POP) and Port Au Prince (PAP)......

Correct! This flight must have originated elsewhere, but in the North American OAG I referenced for this question, I could not find it in either flight itineraries or a search of other US gateways. Indeed, the only ZS flights listed in the itineraries section were the two - one each way - between PAP and POP. Perhaps it came in from Spain?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A) British Airways is correct; however, the equipment on this flight was not a VC-10.
ok, let's promote NAS-BDA to a 707
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Correct! Bahamasair was operating round trip flights on Fridays and Sundays only with a BAC One-Eleven nonstop between Nassau and Port Au Prince at this time......

And here are several more quiz items from early in 1976.....

A) Bermuda (BDA) Partially answered

B) Chicago (ORD) Air Jamaica DC-9-30

C) Detroit (DTW) Eastern 727-100

D) Merida, Mexico (MID) Lufthansa 707

E) Mexico City (MEX) QANTAS Airways 707

F) Rock Sound, Bahamas (RSD) ANSWERED

Also identify the equipment used on each route.

Of course, several different airlines are involved here.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

sorry boss ... I only included the JFK-LAS service in my original answer as a reference ... here simply forgot to put guess #2 in there when answering your "which one was it?" with respect to JFK-DEN

UA D8S and TW 707

Regarding JFK-DEN, you've hit one of the aircraft correctly. Is it a UA D8S or a TWA 707? Then - there's one more. (You guys are too smart for me to make this too easy for you!)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q15 asked for the only nonstop on JFK-LAS (formerly served by TW 747 and UA D8S); Q20 asked for two four-engine jets on JFK-DEN

my original guess for Q20 was that the two identified in Q15 had migrated to DEN; you said one of those was correct

I picked UA D8S, you said "gotta guess both"; I guessed UA D8S and TW 707; you said one is correct

therefore the correct one is the UA D8S, and we are still looking for the second

we have a choice of DC8, D8S, 707, and 747 ... I wrongly surmised a Transamerica 747 on JFK-LAS, but since I can't place anybody else in this market, let's see if that sticks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.