Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
... Geaux Saints!
looking forward to next week in Seattle?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The airframe looks like a heavily modified Aero Commander or a Fokker F.27... Still, national pride would probably have not allowed the use of a foreign airframe when there were so many being designed in Britain at the time. Both the F.27 and the Handley Page Herald had those big oval windows and sat low to the ground. If it's a Herald, it's been pretty well disguised. As the plane is being rolled out in the early seconds of the film, you can clearly see the tail which looks to have been constructed from wood and paper mache. I should imagine the windows would be hard to redesign off an existing airframe, though hardly impossible. The Herald would be my best guess, and it is most definitely a guess.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 5, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The airframe looks like a heavily modified Aero Commander...
Quite a bit bigger !

I should have also put in a second order for those frigid beers for S2A for his excellent identification skills for those Heathrow aircraft. Spot on again.

0.18 - How did you identify that was a DC8 at that distance ? Reddish tail - any ideas ? Air Canada ?

8.04 - Yes, that's a Bristol Freighter, making a surprisingly fast (for one of those) approach. Normally they took for ever. The Britannia is a surprise at Gatwick (which it is) as BOAC never operated from there, it could well be one that had been sold to one of the Gatwick independents and was awaiting repainting. To it's left is a mystery to me too, single blue line on a white tail, which is not BUA's scheme.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
0.18 - How did you identify that was a DC8 at that distance ? Reddish tail - any ideas ? Air Canada ?

Purely a guess based along what I could make out of the aircraft lines. The DC-8 had that big rounded nose and slimmer, graceful vertical stabilizer. At that distance, the lines - to my eyes - suggested a DC-8 more so than a 707.

8.04 - Yes, that's a Bristol Freighter, making a surprisingly fast (for one of those) approach. Normally they took for ever. The Britannia is a surprise at Gatwick (which it is) as BOAC never operated from there, it could well be one that had been sold to one of the Gatwick independents and was awaiting repainting. To it's left is a mystery to me too, single blue line on a white tail, which is not BUA's scheme.

My thoughts on the BUA scheme were based upon this livery on the Bristol freighter:

CLICK HERE

I couldn't find it applied to any DC-6s, but there you have it. Perhaps that DC-6 was a charter operator of some sort?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The Herald would be my best guess, and it is most definitely a guess.
Well, when I say that the design office that co-operated with the TV producers was Handley Page, whose location is about 2 miles down the road from the relevant TV studios, and the shots are actually filmed at their factory .........

The aircraft is the "Scott Furlong S F 200 'Sovereign' ". There are inevitably elements of the Handley Page Jet Herald project in it. The story line later moved on from a passenger jet (which appears to predate the comparable Embraer 145 by about 30 years) to a military VTOL aircraft obviously based on the Harrier prototypes of the time, which the production team "flew". As you can imagine, the aviation press of the time took an interest in it all.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPD...20-%200193.PDF

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%202616.html
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Sunday Afternoon All!

It's a balmy 70 degrees F at present in the LFT area as the leading edge of an arctic cold front from Canada is now making its presence known here with gusty winds and heavy rain. And we are expecting a rather dramatic drop in temperatures as 26 degrees F is forecast for tomorrow morning with a further drop to 18 degrees F by Tuesday morning. Brrrrrr....and welcome back Old Man Winter to southern Louisiana!

And now, finally, here's my latest batch of quiz items. As always, all questions concern scheduled passenger airline operations and participants are requested to limit their answers to two or three at a time so as many folks as possible can join in. Thanks!

1) In 1972, this airline was operating Bristol Britannia turboprop aircraft with international service into Lima, Peru (LIM). Identify the air carrier. ANSWERED

2) In the summer of 1973, Western Airlines was serving three small destinations in the western U.S. with daily Boeing 737-200 service. These three destinations had the smallest populations of any stations served by WA at the time outside of Alaska. Name all three. ANSWERED

3) In 1974, this famous Hollywood actor was reportedly asked by a ticket agent why he chose to fly on Continental Airlines. His response: "This operation is class! Strictly class!" Name the actor. ANSWERED

4) In 1975, Ottawa (YOW) was served by only one U.S. based airline with two flights a day. Both flights made one intermediate stop at different airports while en route to Ottawa from their originating destinations. Identify the airline, the jet equipment it operated into YOW, the originating destinations and the intermediate stops. ANSWERED

5) In 1976, what airline was operating Boeing 727 service five days a week into Wabush, Newfoundland (YWK)? ANSWERED

The following five questions have a time line of 1983:

6) What airline was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Springfield, IL (SPI) at this time? Also identify two routes this air carrier was flying with the British twin jet from SPI. ANSWERED

7) This airline was attempting to operate a small hub in Atlantic City (ACY). Nonstop jet service was flown to eleven destinations in the eastern, northeastern and midwestern U.S. as well as to Florida. Name the air carrier and identify the aircraft type it flew. ANSWERED

8) Four different airlines were operating nonstop flights from New Orleans (MSY) to New York (JFK) at this time. Each carrier operated one flight a day from MSY to JFK with these flights all departing within a one hour and 20 minute time sequence every day. In other words, the first flight departed at 10:55am and the last flight departed at 12:15pm. Identify all four airlines and the respective aircraft types they flew on the route. ANSWERED

9) Western Airlines was operating daily round trip DC-10 service nonstop between two different major cities located in the eastern U.S. at this time. Name both destinations. ANSWERED

10) Northwest Airlines was operating nonstop service to only four U.S. domestic destinations from Los Angeles (LAX). The same aircraft type was used on all of these NW domestic flights from LAX at this time. Name all four destinations as well as the aircraft. ANSWERED

11) It's 1984 and you are in New York City. You receive a message requesting your presence for a business meeting in the west of Ireland. You ascertain that Shannon (SNN) is the closest airport with international service to your Irish destination. And you also learn there is one airline operating JFK-SNN nonstop flights with a very interesting four engine jetliner that you've always wanted to fly on. Identify the airline and the equipment it flew on the route. ANSWERED

12) Also in 1984, this U.S. based start up airline prominently featured connecting flight services provided by another airline that had begun operations some years earlier. The timetable route map of the start up air carrier also depicted the connecting routes operated by the other air carrier. Both airlines were operating mainline type jet fleets at the time. Identify this air carrier as well as the partner airline. ANSWERED

The next seven questions all have a time line of 1985:

13) Now you are in Las Vegas enjoying a superb dinner with very good friends at the Prime Steakhouse located in the Bellagio hotel. You receive an urgent message with the following question: can you be present for a business meeting in Tampa the next afternoon? You quickly ascertain there is a direct red eye flight departing LAS in a just a few hours at 1:30am that will get you into TPA by 12:30pm. Hmmmm....that seems like quite a bit of elapsed time for a direct flight.....and then you discover this flight is a classic milk run with no less than five intermediate stops en route. Name the airline you'll be flying on as well as the aircraft type and all five intermediate stops. ANSWERED

14) This airline was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Champaign, IL (CMI) at this time. Identify the air carrier. ANSWERED

15) This air carrier was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Lincoln, NE (LNK). Name the airline. ANSWERED

16) What airline was flying nonstop Fokker F28 Fellowship service at this time between Ottawa (YOW) and New York (JFK)? ANSWERED

17) This air carrier was operating Boeing 747 service once a week round trip between Portland (PDX) and Chicago (ORD). Identify the airline. ANSWERED

18) Three airlines were operating daily nonstop mainline jet service on the short hop from Ontario (ONT) to Los Angeles (LAX) at this time. Name all three and also identify the respective equipment types they flew on the route. ANSWERED

19) Also at this same time, one airline was flying daily nonstop mainline jet service on the short hop from John Wayne Airport (SNA) to Burbank (BUR). Identify the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

20) It's almost Christmas in 1989 and you are in Chicago. You've been involved in project work in the region but now it's time for a holiday break. It just so happens that your old sailing buddy has returned to his hometown of Santa Barbara and his catamaran is now berthed at the Santa Barbara Harbor. December weather has been quite benign in the Santa Barbara Channel as southern California is experiencing yet another winter drought with clear, sunny skies being prevalent on most days. "Hey buddy", your old friend says on the phone, "you up for a sail trip for a week to the Channel Islands and their namesake national park off the coast?" Of course, you're in! You quickly discover one airline offers direct one stop service between ORD and SBA on a daily round trip basis. The intermediate stop is a bit of a surprise and it's the same airport in both directions. Identify the airline, the aircraft type you'll be flying on and the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

21) Also during the Christmas of 1989, only one airline was operating nonstop service between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Miami (MIA). Two round trip flights were operated each day but with different equipment. Name the airline and the respective aircraft types it operated on the route. ANSWERED

22) Once again during the Christmas of 1989, three different airlines were operating jet service into Val-d'Or, Quebec (YVO). Each air carrier was flying a different aircraft type, none of which was a regional jet. Identify all three airlines and the respective jet aircraft they operated into YVO. ANSWERED

23) What airline was the first to operate jet service into Lake Tahoe (TVL) and what aircraft type did they initially use? ANSWERED

24) What air carrier was the last to operate jets into Lake Tahoe (TVL) and what equipment did they fly? ANSWERED

25) Lake Tahoe (TVL) currently has no air service and has not had any scheduled passenger flights for many years. With quiz items 23) and 24) in mind, three other airlines operated jet service into TVL over the years. Name all three and the respective aircraft each operated from Lake Tahoe. ANSWERED

26) What airline based in Africa served Houston Intercontinental (IAH) in the past with one flight a week? And what type of jet aircraft was flown on this service? This flight also made one intermediate stop while en route from IAH to its primary destination. Identify the primary destination as well as the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

Please note! I'll be out of town on business most of this coming week so I may not be able to respond to your answers as quickly as I would like. So thanks for your patience in advance!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 21, 2014 at 6:36 pm Reason: answer updates & correction to 18)
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:07 pm

It's easy to start with a weather report for London.

Rain. Rain. More rain.

Some poor souls approaching London City a couple of hours ago could be seen doing a go-around, the strobes just visible out of the bottom of the cloud, right as I was watching from the window a big thunderstorm in progress.......

1) In 1972, this airline was operating Bristol Britannia turboprop aircraft with international service into Lima, Peru (LIM). Identify the air carrier.

I think this was the only remaining scheduled Britannia operator in the world. Unfortunately there would be some issues with US citizens taking the flight, given its operation by the state carrier of a certain large Caribbean island.

4) In 1975, Ottawa (YOW) was served by only one U.S. based airline with two flights a day. Both flights made one intermediate stop at different airports while en route to Ottawa from their originating destinations. Identify the airline, the jet equipment it operated into YOW, the originating destinations and the intermediate stops.

I believe this was Eastern, with a DC-9. It was always surprising how little service Ottawa got from outside Canada, given its substantial service on domestic flights. The two main cities served were New York and Washington, the NY flight stopping in Montreal and becoming one of Eastern's frequent flights from there to New York, while the Washington flight stopped in Syracuse NY. I seem to recall that the aircraft operated right round, mornings NYC-YUL-YOW-SYR-DCA, and the reverse in the evening.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
It's easy to start with a weather report for London.

Rain. Rain. More rain.

Some poor souls approaching London City a couple of hours ago could be seen doing a go-around, the strobes just visible out of the bottom of the cloud, right as I was watching from the window a big thunderstorm in progress.......
Our rain has ceased here and our temperatures are now beginning the Big Polar Plunge.....

1) Yes sir, it was Cubana (CU) with Britannia service into Lima, Peru.....and just several years later in 1975, Cubana was operating Ilyushin Il-18 turboprop service nonstop between Havana (HAV) and Mexico City (MEX) twice a week.

4) Eastern is correct although the equipment and the routings were just a bit different:

EA 172: MIA-BAL-YOW-YUL
Op: Daily
Equip: B727-200
Note: no local traffic permitted YOW-YUL

EA 173: LGA-YUL-YOW-BAL-MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: B727-200
Note: no local traffic permitted YUL-YOW
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
The following five questions have a time line of 1983:

9) Western Airlines was operating daily round trip DC-10 service nonstop between two different major cities located in the eastern U.S. at this time. Name both destinations.

10) Northwest Airlines was operating nonstop service to only four U.S. domestic destinations from Los Angeles (LAX). The same aircraft type was used on all of these NW domestic flights from LAX at this time. Name all four destinations as well as the aircraft.
Greetings in 2014, everyone! Last year was quite busy for me, so I did not have time to respond to many questions. Hopefully, this year I will try to respond to a few more... I have two responses below for today:

9) This is a guess because I can only pull up a WA timetable from two years before... WA had one nonstop DC-10 flight from Miami (MIA) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), which was a 25 minute flight. The flight originated in Los Angeles, with a route that was LAX-MIA-FLL. There were four flights in each direction from LAX to MIA, all of which were operated by DC-10s. I would say that was a lot of service on that route provided by WA back then.

10.) NW flew from LAX nonstop to HNL, SAN, MSP and SEA, all with DC-10s. The scheduled flight time of the LAX to SAN flight was 35 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
8) Four different airlines were operating nonstop flights from New Orleans (MSY) to New York (JFK) at this time. Each carrier operated one flight a day from MSY to JFK with these flights all departing within a one hour and 20 minute time sequence every day. In other words, the first flight departed at 10:55am and the last flight departed at 12:15pm. Identify all four airlines and the respective aircraft types they flew on the route.
I am 99% confident of TWA, and 90% confident of Pan Am, both to feed their TATL flights ... others might be

13) This airline was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Champaign, IL (CMI) at this time. Identify the air carrier.
how about Britt Air? the obvious routes would be ORD and STL, so at least one of those is wrong ... Springfield (CAP) or Moline (MLI) might win the guessing game

14) This air carrier was operating BAC One-Eleven service into Lincoln, NE (LNK). Name the airline.
how about a Braniff reincarnation, w service from Kansas City
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Greetings in 2014, everyone! Last year was quite busy for me, so I did not have time to respond to many questions. Hopefully, this year I will try to respond to a few more... I have two responses below for today:

9) This is a guess because I can only pull up a WA timetable from two years before... WA had one nonstop DC-10 flight from Miami (MIA) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), which was a 25 minute flight. The flight originated in Los Angeles, with a route that was LAX-MIA-FLL. There were four flights in each direction from LAX to MIA, all of which were operated by DC-10s. I would say that was a lot of service on that route provided by WA back then.

10.) NW flew from LAX nonstop to HNL, SAN, MSP and SEA, all with DC-10s. The scheduled flight time of the LAX to SAN flight was 35 minutes.
Hey Tony!

9) An excellent guess! However, the route in question was actually located further north on the eastern seaboard of the U.S......

10) Absolutely correct!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22

8) I am 99% confident of TWA, and 90% confident of Pan Am, both to feed their TATL flights ... others might be

13) How about Britt Air? the obvious routes would be ORD and STL, so at least one of those is wrong ... Springfield (CAP) or Moline (MLI) might win the guessing game

14) How about a Braniff reincarnation, w service from Kansas City
8) And the others might be? Please provide all four air carriers in your response.

13) Britt Airways (RU) is correct! Routing was CMI-ORD with three flights a day, all flown on a Mon. through Fri. (X67) basis. Britt was also operating Fairchild Hiller FH-227 turboprops on the route at this time with this aircraft substituting for the BAC One-Eleven on the weekends.....

14) Incorrect.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 6, 2014 at 9:04 am Reason: Additional Britt Airways info....
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22
I am 99% confident of TWA, and 90% confident of Pan Am, both to feed their TATL flights ... others might be
And the others might be? Please provide all four air carriers in your response. ...
sorry 'bout that ... went to refill my wine and forgot I hadn't finished the thought

Continental (pre-bankruptcy) and Eastern

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 6, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: All of them!
6) 1983--Air service from SPI (Springfield, IL)
Air Illinois using BAC 111 aircraft on service to ORD and STL.
8) 1983--Air service MSY/JFK
posts above have noted TW,PA and EA, and the fourth air carrier was DL.
TW,PA,DL used 72S, and EA 727.

Last edited by cs57; Jan 6, 2014 at 11:31 am Reason: additional question
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) In the summer of 1973, Western Airlines was serving three small destinations in the western U.S. with daily Boeing 737-200 service. These three destinations had the smallest populations of any stations served by WA at the time outside of Alaska. Name all three.
Casper WY (CPR)
Sheridan WY (SHR)
West Yellowstone MT (WYS)

7) This airline was attempting to operate a small hub in Atlantic City (ACY). Nonstop jet service was flown to eleven destinations in the eastern, northeastern and midwestern U.S. as well as to Florida. Name the air carrier and identify the aircraft type it flew.
this would have been American International Airways which operated a small fleet of DC-9s (I'm thinking -30, may have been -80)

... 1985:
16) This air carrier was operating Boeing 747 service once a week round trip between Portland (PDX) and Chicago (ORD). Identify the airline.
this would be United ... the route from Tokyo went thru Seattle the rest of the week; I rode upstairs on the SEA-ORD segments a couple times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.