Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Pan Am is correct! As to the other airline and route, you've already mentioned it as part of another answer in this collection.....
Ah, indeed, I thought it might be so......and it appears the second air carrier did not fly to Asia or Europe. Instead, they simply hopped across the border to Whitehorse and then on to Juneau: Wien Air Alaska with B737-200 service flying a FAI-YXY-JNU routing. Non-quiz questions: did this WC flight originate in ANC? And did it then proceed to SEA from JNU?

So the only international services operated from Fairbanks in 1970 were performed by PA and WC......
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22

Which leads me to think that the key is "acquired" ... Delta operated jets originally delivered to Western and Pan Am (and possibly Northeast) after it swallowed those competitors; Pan Am's fleet included jets that had initially worn National livery ... their N-numbers alone ran from N401DA to N526DA, and I seem to recall seeing some ex-Eastern jets at various times which would give them at least 130 examples of the type
Definitely Northeast. Shortly after DL acquired NE, I remember seeing a B727-100 in the Northeast "Yellowbird" livery but with Delta titles at a then-new IAH. In fact, I believe the B727 was introduced into the DL fleet with former NE aircraft as Delta had not previously operated the type.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
And one more question for you ~ what would your answer to #5 have been without your "resources"?

I would have thrown up my hands in surrender. But I did wait until other more knowledgeable folks had a few days to answer before I started digging around.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used.
This is an interesting quiz item. Aeronaves de Mexico (now Aeromexico) and Mexicana both come to mind, of course.....but what was the identity of the third air carrier?

Here are my guesses, which are derived in part from my years living in Texas back when I was a teenager:

Aeronaves de Mexico (AM) - DC9 service nonstop to Houston.

Mexicana (MX) - B727 service nonstop to San Antonio.

Hughes Airwest (RW) - DC9 service direct to both Phoenix and Tucson with an intermediate stop in either Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. Aircraft was most likely a D9S.....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
7. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 990s into Rio de Janeiro.

I posited Varig (RG) and Swissair (SR) back in post #3815, but I don't have any other guesses to add ...

Aw, c'mon j ~ I'm sure you could make an educated guess. G'wan - give it a go! You're two thirds the way there already.

ok, here goes ... SAS?

No, not SAS. Actually, it was a non-European airline...

19. What airline was the world’s largest operator of Boeing 727-200s?

well UPS is similar to FedEx in that they acquired a bunch of these jets from a bunch of passenger airlines, but I know that they are also similar to FedEx in that a good part of their fleet was the -100

which leads me to think that the key is "acquired" ... Delta operated jets originally delivered to Western and Pan Am (and possibly Northeast) after it swallowed those competitors; Pan Am's fleet included jets that had initially worn National livery ... their N-numbers alone ran from N401DA to N526DA, and I seem to recall seeing some ex-Eastern jets at various times which would give them at least 130 examples of the type

Delta it is! According to the Delta Flight Museum, Delta operated 176 different 727-200s (They inherited only 8 727-95s from NE) and 129 was the largest number of 727-200s operating in the fleet at one time.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
27. While Anchorage was a major refueling point for international flights between Europe and Asia, only two airlines operated international flights from Fairbanks. Identify the airlines and the routes flown.

Ah, indeed, I thought it might be so......and it appears the second air carrier did not fly to Asia or Europe. Instead, they simply hopped across the border to Whitehorse and then on to Juneau: Wien Air Alaska with B737-200 service flying a FAI-YXY-JNU routing. Non-quiz questions: did this WC flight originate in ANC? And did it then proceed to SEA from JNU?

So the only international services operated from Fairbanks in 1970 were performed by PA and WC......

Correct! In 1970 Wien was operating a F-27 on the FAI-YXY-JNU route. When I flew this route in 1979, I originated in Anchorage and flew to Whitehorse via Fairbanks. The plane continued to Juneau but the flight terminated there. As Wien expanded into the Lower 48, it's possible they may have extended this flight from Juneau down to Seattle but alas, I don't have any timetables (or know of any available on the Internet) to support this.

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by different airlines with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used.

This is an interesting quiz item. Aeronaves de Mexico (now Aeromexico) and Mexicana both come to mind, of course.....but what was the identity of the third air carrier?

Here are my guesses, which are derived in part from my years living in Texas back when I was a teenager:

Aeronaves de Mexico (AM) - DC9 service nonstop to Houston. Correct - served with a DC-9-30

Mexicana (MX) - B727 service nonstop to San Antonio. San Antonio is correct, but the aircraft type is not.

Hughes Airwest (RW) - DC9 service direct to both Phoenix and Tucson with an intermediate stop in either Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. Aircraft was most likely a D9S..... A good guess but no cigar. Both the airline and the destination were different. Hint: The flight was over three hours long...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 13, 2013 at 11:39 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
And one more question for you ~ what would your answer to #5 have been without your "resources"?

I would have thrown up my hands in surrender. But I did wait until other more knowledgeable folks had a few days to answer before I started digging around.

No worries, mini! All in good fun!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining questions left:

The following 3 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1966 International OAG

7. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 990s into Rio de Janeiro. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(We have Varig and Swissair. We need just one more...)

8. Name the two airlines that operated Caravelles from Rio de Janeiro A N S W E R E D

9. This African airline offered nonstop Bristol Brittania flights between this west African city and London, Heathrow.

* * * x x x x x x x x x x x * * *

11. What well known South American airline’s acronym loosely translates into Rio Grande Airlines? A N S W E R E D

13. What made the 707-420 different? Name five airlines that ordered it. A N S W E R E D

14. Which major U.S. airline ordered Boeing 720s before it ordered 707s? A N S W E R E D

15. This jet airplane was originally named the “Skylark”. What better known name was it later given? A N S W E R E D
(What was another pre-production name given to the 880?)

The following 2 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 North American OAG

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

24. What was different and unique about Braniff’s original factory delivered 707s? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 14, 2013 at 11:59 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: BA
Correct! In 1970 Wien was operating a F-27 on the FAI-YXY-JNU route. When I flew this route in 1979, I originated in Anchorage and flew to Whitehorse via Fairbanks. The plane continued to Juneau but not the flight terminated there. As Wien expanded into the Lower 48, it's possible they may have extended this flight from Juneau down to Seattle but alas, I don't have any timetables (or know of any available on the Internet) to support this.
The converse, in a 1984 timetable Wien have given up both Whitehorse and Juneau altogether. It's their last timetable before they suddenly closed down at the end of the year, when they were more focused on jet routes south of Seattle than their Alaskan origins, running 727s and 737s.

http://www.departedflights.com/WC090184intro.html
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Here are the remaining questions left:
8. Name the two airlines that operated Caravelles from Rio de Janeiro ...
again I'd have to say Varig is one; about 1200 posts upthread there was some discussion of Aerolineas Argentinas operating the French twin-jet so that will be my guess as to the other

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(We have AeroMexico D9S to IAH, and Mexicana to SAT though aircraft type still open to discussion...)
again upthread, WHBM reported that MX still had their Comets in service until 1970 ... and I can't think of any other jet aircraft in the MX fleet in 1966 ... of course, the question doesn't specifically ask about jet aircraft, so they might have been running the vintage DC-6 ...

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 13, 2013 at 7:32 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Re. Wien service to Whitehorse and Juneau

Originally Posted by WHBM
The converse, in a 1984 timetable Wien have given up both Whitehorse and Juneau altogether. It's their last timetable before they suddenly closed down at the end of the year, when they were more focused on jet routes south of Seattle than their Alaskan origins, running 727s and 737s.

I have a 1981 OAG that shows Wien to have dropped all service into Whitehorse as well. They maintained service into Juneau with 727-100s flown nonstop from Anchorage and Seattle.

In June of 1980 I flew a Wien 737-200 from Seattle to Kodiak to Kenai to Anchorage. Great routing - like an air tour on the short flights KOD-ENI-ANC.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8. Name the two airlines that operated Caravelles from Rio de Janeiro

again I'd have to say Varig is one; about 1200 posts upthread there was some discussion of Aerolineas Argentinas operating the French twin-jet so that will be my guess as to the other.

Aerolineas Argentinas is correct, with one daily flight from Resistencia. As to the other however, it was a different South American airline...

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by different airlines with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used.

again upthread, WHBM reported that MX still had their Comets in service until 1970 ... and I can't think of any other jet aircraft in the MX fleet in 1966 ... of course, the question doesn't specifically ask about jet aircraft, so they might have been running the vintage DC-6 ...

Good recall, J! It was indeed the Comet 4. Now all that's left is to find zat one other route ...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

Interesting to note this Wien timetable states that all 400 and 700 series flight numbers were operated with "non jet" aircraft. These "non jet" routes were all in Alaska with service being operated into smaller communities such as Cordova, Kenai, Homer and Fort Yukon. However, the timetable does not state what type of prop driven aircraft was being used at this time. Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following question is based upon schedules published in a 1970 North American OAG

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(We have AeroMexico D9S to IAH, and Mexicana's Comet IV to SAT. Need one more route......)
Let's go for broke here with yet another wild guess....

Air France with Boeing 707 service nonstop between Guadalajara and New York JFK. And the actual routing may have been PVR-GDL-JFK-CDG.....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following question is based upon schedules published in a 1966 International OAG

8. Name the two airlines that operated Caravelles from Rio de Janeiro
I believe the other Caravelle operator was Servicos Aereos Cruzeiro do Sul....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.