Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Feb 2, 12, 1:32 pm
jyh

Not sure if I am following thread rules but here is a question

1 Which rock group had a Boeing 720 as their personal jet?

2 Where is the plane today?
Old Feb 2, 12, 2:05 pm

Led Zepp

Dismantled
Old Feb 2, 12, 6:12 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
And the quiz continues! As usual, all questions concern scheduled passenger service:

1) What type of jet aircraft did Pacific Northern operate, what was their primary market and what other airline acquired them?

2) Name two airlines that provided jet service into Chico, CA (CIC).

3) What airline operated the B767 into Burbank (BUR) and what was the nonstop destination served with this aircraft?

4) What airline operated direct service between LAX and AMM, and what type of aircraft was used?

5) Name an airline that provided jet service into Bullhead City, AZ (BHC).

6) What airline operated the Lockheed Constellation into Yakutat, Alaska (YAK)?

7) What airline operated the Lockheed L-188 Electra into Yakutat, Alaska?

8) What airline operated the B727 into Yakutat, Alaska?

9) What airline operated the following routing and what type of jet aircraft did they use on this routing: ORD-IND-EVV-PAH-MEM-BHM-ATL-PHL-BOS

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 2, 12 at 6:31 pm Reason: Additional questions concerning YAK
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
And the quiz continues! As usual, all questions concern scheduled passenger service:

3) What airline operated the B767 into Burbank (BUR) and what was the nonstop destination served with this aircraft?

4) What airline operated direct service between LAX and AMM, and what type of aircraft was used?

5)
3. United, 767, Burbank-Chicago (O'Hare)

4. Royal Jordanian, Lockheed L-1011 Tristar 500

New questions:

1. Name an airline (I can think of two) who flew Boeing 747's between Houston Intercontinental (now Bush Intercontinental) and Mexico City and were not U.S. or Mexican carriers.

2. Name the airline that begun 737 service to Manhattan, Kansas, a city of roughly 30-50,000 and home to Kansas State University. Now Manhattan (MHK) struggles to get any service but it has snagged American Eagle service to ORD and DFW bringing the airport back into the jet age.
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines View Post
1. Name an airline (I can think of two) who flew Boeing 747's between Houston Intercontinental (now Bush Intercontinental) and Mexico City and were not U.S. or Mexican carriers.
Well I know I flew one of them back in 1980. That was aboard Air France. Unfortunately by 1980 the upstairs lounge had been replaced with economy seating and the flight down to MEX was too short to be served one of Air France's more elaborate meals. Still, it was alot of fun.

I'm fairly certain the other airline was KLM. I think I have a First Class menu from them off that route, AMS-IAH-MEX.

1) What type of jet aircraft did Pacific Northern operate, what was their primary market and what other airline acquired them?
I just happen to have a PNA pin in my jacket lapel while sitting here aboard Alaska #35 cruising high above Montana. Pacific Northern operated a couple of Boeing 720s (or was it those 707-139s originally built for Cubana?). I'm pretty sure the schedules indicate 720s, and PNA's primary market was Seattle up to Alaska.

Finally, regarding my two unanswered questions, the reason Braniff had to repaint its lavender colored 720 was because that color is considered bad luck in Mexico, a primary market for BN 720s at the time.

Ozark's First Class table linens were at one time yellow with green napkins.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 2, 12 at 8:01 pm
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:23 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
What a great airport HNL was for plane spotting! A couple of aircraft that stood out for me at HNL were an Air Samoa 707, a Hawaiian Air DC-8-62 and South Pacific Island Airways' 707s. I'm not 100% sure on this (even though I sometimes sound like I am, so probably a good preface... ) but I think there was an airline called Air Tungaru that operated a 727-100 from HNL down to Christmas Island and beyond to wherever. I have a postcard of one of their jets.
You're absolutely right about all these airlines serving HNL. I also believe that Air Nauru used to fly from Nauru to HNL for a short while, using deluxe BAC-One Elevens, with some sort of all premium cabin service. I'd like to ask a question, based on one of the airlines you've mentioned above, but I'll wait until some of the other questions have cleared out with responses.
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:28 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better

6) Alaska operated Connies for awhile, I think...

7) Reeve Aleutian operated Electras.

8) If Reeve Aleutian did not operate B727s, then this would have been operated by Alaska.

Last edited by tonywestsider; Feb 2, 12 at 10:42 pm
Old Feb 2, 12, 10:10 pm
Suspended

2) Name two airlines that provided jet service into Chico, CA (CIC).

5) Name an airline that provided jet service into Bullhead City, AZ (BHC).

9) What airline operated the following routing and what type of jet aircraft did they use on this routing: ORD-IND-EVV-PAH-MEM-BHM-ATL-PHL-BOS
1. Pacific Northern operated the Boeing 720 and the airline was acquired by Western Airlines.

2. Two airlines that operated jets to Chico were Hughes Airwest and Pacific Express.

5. Okay, I am thinking this is today's Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport. I may be wrong. But if BHC is today's IFP... I will say Reno Air.

8. Reeve Aleutian?

9. Delta on the DC-9?
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:04 am

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Well I know I flew one of them back in 1980. That was aboard Air France. Unfortunately by 1980 the upstairs lounge had been replaced with economy seating and the flight down to MEX was too short to be served one of Air France's more elaborate meals. Still, it was alot of fun.

I'm fairly certain the other airline was KLM. I think I have a First Class menu from them off that route, AMS-IAH-MEX.

I just happen to have a PNA pin in my jacket lapel while sitting here aboard Alaska #35 cruising high above Montana. Pacific Northern operated a couple of Boeing 720s (or was it those 707-139s originally built for Cubana?). I'm pretty sure the schedules indicate 720s, and PNA's primary market was Seattle up to Alaska.

Finally, regarding my two unanswered questions, the reason Braniff had to repaint its lavender colored 720 was because that color is considered bad luck in Mexico, a primary market for BN 720s at the time.

Ozark's First Class table linens were at one time yellow with green napkins.
Air France for sure with a B747-200 CDG-IAH-MEX. I recall seeing this aircraft at IAH when I was in high school. I'm not sure what the other carrier was but it may well have been KLM. Pan Am also flew IAH-MEX but they, of course, were a U.S. flag carrier. BTW, before IAH opened for business, I remember seeing KLM DC-8 aircraft at HOU.

Pacific Northern operated the B720 and their primary market was SEA-ANC plus other Alaskan destinations.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 3, 12 at 7:09 am
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by N702ML View Post
1. Pacific Northern operated the Boeing 720 and the airline was acquired by Western Airlines.

2. Two airlines that operated jets to Chico were Hughes Airwest and Pacific Express.

5. Okay, I am thinking this is today's Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport. I may be wrong. But if BHC is today's IFP... I will say Reno Air.

8. Reeve Aleutian?

9. Delta on the DC-9?
2) Correct! Hughes Airwest operated DC-9s and Pacific Express operated the BAC One-Eleven. Pacific Express also had their corporate headquarters located in Chico.

5) The airport in question is (was?) BHC on the Arizona side of the Colorado River and the air carrier was Sun Country operating B737-800 aircraft.

8) Alaska Airlines with a B727-100. The service is currently operated these days by an AS B737-400 (which may be the Combi version, I think) on a classic milk run route between SEA and ANC. YAK has no road connections to the outside world as do several other destinations on this route.

9) Correct! DL operated a DC-9-30 on this milk run route.
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by tonywestsider View Post
6) Alaska operated Connies for awhile, I think...

7) Reeve Aleutian operated Electras.

8) If Reeve Aleutian did not operate B727s, then this would have been operated by Alaska.
6) Pacific Northern operated the Connie into YAK. And this service was replaced by......

7) Western Airlines, which bought Pacific Northern and then introduced the Electra into YAK.

8) Correct! Alaska replaced Western and if I remember correctly, the CAB had a hand in this.....and Reeve Aleutian did operate the B727-100 in addition to the Electra but not into southeast Alaska.
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:41 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Reeve operated a fairly substantial charter operation statewide and through the lower 48, so it's technically possible that an RAA Electra could have been seen at YAK, however it was not on the standard routes. I remember the WAL Electras in SE Alaska, however briefly. I don't remember the Connie, but I'm only in my 60s .

RAA had two 727s, which they acquired once Dick Reeve managed to lay his father's ghost. Too little too late as it turned out.
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:52 am

I]3. United, 767, Burbank-Chicago (O'Hare)[/I]

4. Royal Jordanian, Lockheed L-1011 Tristar 500

Excellent responses from Cattle Airlines!

3) Correct! The aircraft was a B767-200. UA could not park this aircraft adjacent to the terminal at BUR as it was too large to fit in the very confined area between the terminal and the runways. If you have ever flown out of BUR, you'll know what I mean: the runways are located very close to the terminal as this is the original design that was used back in the 30's (I think) when the airfield was constructed. So UA had to park the 767 across the runway on the southern side of BUR and then bus passengers to and from the aircraft. The FAA remains concerned about the close proximity of this original terminal to the runways and there are plans to construct a new terminal where the old Lockheed Aircraft manufacturing plant was located (the USAF F-117 stealth jet was built in this facility among other aircraft); however, political opposition has thus far prevented this from happening. Local residents do not want BUR expanded. It's a great little airport, though: in the past, I've flown out of there on Air Cal, Alaska, Continental, Hughes Air West and PSA.

4) Correct! I believe this aircraft made an intermediate stop at either ORD or JFK between LAX and AMM. BTW, the former ruler of Jordan, the late King Hussein, was an accomplished pilot who flew Royal Jordanian Airlines jet aircraft in the left seat. His fourth (and final) wife was Elizabeth Najeeb Halaby, an American citizen whose father, Najeeb Halaby, served as a CEO for Pan Am.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 3, 12 at 9:29 am
Old Feb 3, 12, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Reeve operated a fairly substantial charter operation statewide and through the lower 48, so it's technically possible that an RAA Electra could have been seen at YAK, however it was not on the standard routes. I remember the WAL Electras in SE Alaska, however briefly. I don't remember the Connie, but I'm only in my 60s .

RAA had two 727s, which they acquired once Dick Reeve managed to lay his father's ghost. Too little too late as it turned out.
Indeed, and they may well have! I remember seeing Reeve Aleutian B727-100s, Lockheed Electras (the "Super Electra II", I think) and even Japanese-built YS-11 twin turboprops at ANC during my time in Alaska.

However, I did preface my questions with the word "scheduled" as I try to verify everything beforehand via old OAGs or the air carrier's timetable.
Old Feb 3, 12, 8:30 am

[QUOTE=Cattle Airlines

2. Name the airline that begun 737 service to Manhattan, Kansas, a city of roughly 30-50,000 and home to Kansas State University. Now Manhattan (MHK) struggles to get any service but it has snagged American Eagle service to ORD and DFW bringing the airport back into the jet age.[/QUOTE]

The original Frontier Airlines with B737-200 service to DEN.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: