Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I'm pretty sure one was Cayman Airways (KX) with BAC-111s; the other was Republic (RC) but I can only come up with a DC-9, so I'll need help from someone on the second aircraft.
3) Correct! Cayman Airways (the airline of "Sir Turtle") was operating up to three nonstop flights day on the GCM-MIA route, all with BAC One-Eleven aircraft.

Meantime, Republic was operating nonstop DC-9-10 service on a Saturday and Sunday only schedule.....and RC was also operating a daily flight with a DC-9-50. Republic inherited this route from Southern when SO merged with North Central to form RC. The MIA-GCM route was Southern's only international service during its existence......

Following the acquisition of RC by Northwest, NW continued to fly the MIA-GCM route with DC-9-30 equipment. I remember talking my way onto this NW flight on an NRSA airline employee pass basis after missing an earlier KX flight due to a late arriving DL flight at MIA.......the NW station manager at MIA was in a good mood that evening!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
8) Identify the only airline that operated Boeing 727 Combi service into Boston with an international destination being served from BOS by this flight. Also name the destination.

based on a nominal operating range for a 727-100, the destination pretty much has to be in Canada ... NE was running BOS-YUL in the late 60s and early 70s, but the 727 production list doesn't show any deliveries of -95C/QC models ...

speaking of Combi (again), here's the answer to the question I tossed out a couple weeks back --

in 1977-78 Western operated a late-night 707-347C LAX-SFO-SEA-ANC, departing around 9pm PST and arriving around 330am AST

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...C_Silagi-1.jpg
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
based on a nominal operating range for a 727-100, the destination pretty much has to be in Canada ... NE was running BOS-YUL in the late 60s and early 70s, but the 727 production list doesn't show any deliveries of -95C/QC models ...

speaking of Combi (again), here's the answer to the question I tossed out a couple weeks back --

in 1977-78 Western operated a late-night 707-347C LAX-SFO-SEA-ANC, departing around 9pm PST and arriving around 330am AST

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...C_Silagi-1.jpg
No, it was not Northeast with B727 Combi service from BOS.....

And interesting to learn of Western's B707 Combi service back in the late 70s....
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
5) It's still the spring of 1981 and you are in Gainesville, Florida. You need to fly to Miami for a meeting. You discover two airlines operate nonstop jet service from GNV to MIA. Identify both airlines and the aircraft types they operated on the route. ...
one was almost certainly Eastern, using something in the DC9 family ... probably a -30

I suspect the other was Air Florida with a 737-200
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8) Identify the only airline that operated Boeing 727 Combi service into Boston with an international destination being served from BOS by this flight. Also name the destination.

First Air, BOS-YOW ~1990
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one was almost certainly Eastern, using something in the DC9 family ... probably a -30

I suspect the other was Air Florida with a 737-200
5) Air Florida (QH) and Eastern (EA) are both correct.....however, each airline was operating different equipment on the route. Both carriers were operating one flight a day from GNV to MIA with evening departures. QH was flying a DC-9-10 with daily except Saturday service while EA was operating a daily B727-100 flight.

BTW, Eastern was also operating five daily nonstops from GNV to ATL at this time: one flight with a B727-100, one flight with a DC-9-30 and three flights with DC-9-50 equipment.....
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First Air, BOS-YOW ~1990
8) First Air (7F) is correct! The airline was operating daily except Saturday nonstop service between Ottawa and Boston with a B727-100 Combi.

First Air (formerly Bradley Air Services) is still around although they no longer operate any scheduled passenger flights to the U.S. This Canadian air carrier flies Boeing 737-200 Combis as well as ATR-42 and ATR-72 turboprops in sched pax services. First Air also operates Lockheed L382G (L-100 Hercules) and Boeing 767-223 freighter aircraft......
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8) First Air (7F) is correct! The airline was operating daily except Saturday nonstop service between Ottawa and Boston with a B727-100 Combi.

First Air (formerly Bradley Air Services) is still around although they no longer operate any scheduled passenger flights to the U.S. This Canadian air carrier flies Boeing 737-200 Combis as well as ATR-42 and ATR-72 turboprops in sched pax services. First Air also operates Lockheed L382G (L-100 Hercules) and Boeing 767-223 freighter aircraft......

didn't 7F also operate the HS-748? as in, is "First Air" also the answer to Q6 above?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

didn't 7F also operate the HS-748? as in, is "First Air" also the answer to Q6 above?
6) Quite perceptive there, jrl22! First Air most certainly operated the Hawker Siddeley HS-748.....and one of the routes flown by the aircraft was Ottawa-Boston. 7F was operating the HS-748 on a morning roundtrip flight YOW-BOS at the same time they were operating an afternoon roundtrip flight with a B727-100 Combi on the same route. Note that my comments above concerned First Air's current fleet......
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: BA
11. What was the first “private” (non-Aeroflot) Russian carrier of modern times ?

11) I do not think this one has been answered yet so I'll take a stab at it: Transaero Airlines (UN).
Correct, JL. Started at the end of 1992, first flights were Moscow DME to Norilsk, in the Siberian Arctic. I do recall a BBC News clip where they went along at the beginning and treated a "Russian private airline" as a joke, laughed at a spilled coffee in the cabin, and laughed at Norilsk's tourist potential in the winter at 70 degrees north. Anyway, last laugh on Transaero because they now have a huge fleet. When recently in St Petersburg I was surprised to see one of their 747-400s at the next gate to my BA A321 at the Soviet-era little international terminal (which it towered over), departing full for, of all places, Antalya in Turkey, a Mediterranean beach resort. Transaero also started the move of international flights in Moscow to Domodedovo, away from Sheremetyevo, which many carriers apart from Aeroflot have now followed.

BTW, some Transaero aircraft have the name of the air carrier in Cyrillic rather than English, which looks something like "TPAHCADPO" (although I do not think that's actually a D, it's most likely a Cyrillic character that does not have an English equivalent).
трансаэро

Many Russian carriers have titles in Cyrillic on one side and Roman on the other.

Peter the Great said 300 years ago that the greatest obstacle to Russia developing along with the rest of Europe was the Cyrillic alphabet instead of the Roman one. The Internet however has done for it in recent years, and many things like the Metro station signs and maps now appear with "transliteration" underneath, that is Russian names written using Roman characters - like 'Transaero' !

8. What was the principal supersonic route the Tupolev 144 was operated on ?

Moscow to Alma Ata (ALA)
Correct. Much of the supersonic route was across the Kazakh SSR desert, sparsely populated (at least, not by anyone important to Moscow). Freight (actually mail, plus that most essential Soviet commodity, today's edition of 'Pravda') from 1975, and a few passenger flights from 1977. Given up in 1978 after the loss of a Tu144 aircraft near Yegoryevsk. Alma Ata is nowadays Almaty, the principal city of Kazakhstan.

17. The international airport at Moscow only has one domestic route operated from there, although it has 11 departures a day. Other domestic flights go from the other two airports, which are domestic only. What is this solitary domestic destination ?

I'll guess it was Pulkovo (LED) in St. Petersburg.
C'mon Mini, you know St. Petersburg didn't exist in 1980

But apart from that, correct.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 29, 2013 at 8:54 am
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting to learn of the loss of a Tu144 SST near Yegoryevsk in 1978.

WHBM, would you have any details concerning this accident?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:39 am

the loss of a Tu144 SST near Yegoryevsk in 1978....
It was CCCP-77111, the 10th production aircraft, on 28 May 1978. It caught fire in midair and made an emergency landing in fields. Yegoryevsk is just outside Moscow, not too far from the Monino museum.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19780523-1
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

browsing some old posts that I hadn't previously read ...

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
... One of the problems we run into is fading memories and lack of readily available real documentation. A couple of similar examples: The guy who runs departedflights.com swears up and down that NYAir never ran LAX-IAD red-eyes nonstop with a 733 because it doesn't appear in any timetable. Yet I was at a boarding gate next to the flight one evening at LAX so I know it existed, plus CO flew 733s from the merger which were equipped with IFE specifically installed by NYAir for that route. Another example, people claim that Eastern flew LAX-ORD as part of their Moonlight Specials, since it does appear in at least one of their timetables of the era. I was flying LAX-MKE a lot during that period, but never once found that flight ever in live OAG schedules on CompuServe nor on any departure board at LAX nor available for purchase directly from Eastern, even though I wanted to buy a ticket on it more than once.

The truth is out there somewhere! ...

... fading memories and lack of readily available real documentation ...

I have boarding passes, and ticket jackets where I wrote the aircraft number

... LAX-IAD red-eyes nonstop with a 733 ... CO flew 733s from the merger which were equipped with IFE specifically installed by NYAir for that route ...

Apr 86, CO 22, N16301 (actually CO's first 733)

... Eastern flew LAX-ORD as part of their Moonlight Specials ...

Jan 86, EA 1698, A300 N220EA

... From the June 1968 Nordair timetable....

ND 43: depart Montreal (YUL) 11:59pm, arrive Resolute (YRB) 7:15am - This flight operated on Tuesdays only (with a Wednesday morning arrival at YRB).

ND 44: depart Resolute (YRB) 9:15am, arrive Frobisher Bay (YFB) 2:15pm, depart Frobisher Bay (YFB) 3:15pm, arrive Montreal (YUL) at 8:15pm - This flight operated on Wednesdays only. Note that Frobisher Bay is now known as Iqaluit.

So according to this timetable, the service was a nonstop going north Montreal-Resolute and a onestop heading back south via Frobisher Bay.

Equipment was a Lockheed L-1049H Super Constellation. ...
from about age 5 on, I would bug my parents to stop by the airport in pretty much any major city that we transited on our numerous car trips ... the jaunt to EXPO 67 in Montreal was no exception, and I distinctly remember taking several photos of the Nordair Super Connie on the far side of the runway

I also recall taking pix of two classic large turboprops that afternoon ... a Vanguard and a TU-114

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 29, 2013 at 10:15 am
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:55 am

I also recall taking pix of two classic large turboprops that afternoon ... a Vanguard and a TU-114
Strangely the 1967 Aeroflot timetable, which is on line at Timetable Images, does not show any service to Montreal, whereas my Tu114 history I have here says the service there started on 4 November 1966, changing over to an IL-62 on 15 September 1967, so the huge Tupolev would have handled what Expo67 traffic there was from Moscow. Actually there was probably quite a bit; the Soviet Pavilion was one of the largest there, and, never ones to waste a building, it was dismantled afterwards and shipped back to Moscow where it was erected in VDNKh, a vast Soviet-era permanent exposition site in the north of the city, nowadays sadly dilapidated and quiet. It does have a Tu154 and a Yak-42, plus some rockets, on plinths at the main entrance !
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

7. What is notable about the production quantities of the supersonic Tupolev 144 when compared to Concorde ?
Well, I've been puzzling over this quiz item for awhile now....so it's time to venture forth with some type of answer.

I believe Tupolev built one prototype of the Tu-144 followed by sixteen production models.

The Concorde, on the other hand, saw a total of 20 examples built if my memory serves me correctly. However, of this 20, I believe only fourteen were destined for airline use by BA and AF......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.