Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by jlemon
Over the years at one point or another, I think just about all of the major airlines operated wide bodies between LAX and SFO. I think that most of these flights were either on their way to or coming from another destination, although there was probably the odd aircraft positioning flight as well. In other words, I believe the vast majority of these flights were not point-to-point service.

Looking at various OAGs from 1974 to 1991, one sees these airlines operating the following wide body equipment types from SFO to LAX....

Pan Am - A300, B747, B747SP, DC-10
Don't forget the Pan Am L-1011.
Northwest also operated the 747 (flt 8/9) but couldn't sell tickets -LAX-SFO-HNL-NRT.
In you add Oakland, then you can add World's DC-10.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Icecat
In the mid-70's (1974-1975) NW operated the 747 on this route.
my second trip on a 747, IAD-ORD in May 77
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Thor3
... If you remember helos were at NYC,LGA,JFK, and Los Angeles Airways flew out of LAX. I took a LAA S-61 from LAX to Disneyland [actually to a helipad across the street from the then Disneyland Hotel]

Interesting flying machines!

I flew on the S-61 from LGA to JFK in Dec 1977

I remember my dad flying on Los Angeles Airways from LAX to San Bernardino in the 1962-1965 time frame ... I think they mostly used the S-61 but for some reason I remember an S-55
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA
21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline and the equipment used.

AA was building up their MIA hub about this time, and had recently brought the MD-11 into the fleet ... other widebody possibilities would be DC-10 and 767-300

AA did indeed operate a wide variety of wide bodied aircraft but alas, none of them were operating on the MIA-SFO route. Please - guess again!

United 747 - flight continued to South America from MIA.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA
Northwest also operated the 747 (flt 8/9) but couldn't sell tickets -LAX-SFO-HNL-NRT.
I remember taking a NW 720 CLE-ORD [42 mins+w/ bkfst] continuing ORD-MSP [55 min+w/bkfst] connecting to a DC-10 MSP-SFO [3 hrs+w/bkfst]. I connected to NW flt 8 [747-200] coming from from LAX but then continuing on to HNL and NRT. Why I remember it was that they identified HNL [my destination] as an "intermediate stop". Of course they served another meal!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
In you add Oakland, then you can add World's DC-10.
Well, I did not attempt to check every OAG available to me (and if I had done so, I probably would not have gotten any real work done!), so your additions are well noted.

We also had a quiz question concerning World's OAK-LAX DC-10 service awhile back.....but if you had to go back and check every post in this thread since Seat 2A started it over a year ago, you would probably not get any real work done either!

And since we are talking about an air carrier flying from SFO to LAX that did not have local traffic rights, here's a quick quiz item:

Identify three non-U.S. airlines that operated Boeing 747 equipment from SFO to LAX. These carriers could not carry local traffic, of course, but I'm pretty sure they could transport stopover traffic.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Now the only way to travel MLI-LGA is either through ATL/DTW/ORD.
Sounds like the basis for yet another bonus quiz item!

Identify an airline that flew direct, no change for plane jet service from Santa Barbara (SBA) to Moline (MLI). Also identify the equipment flown on the route. In addition, there were two intermediate stops made between SBA and MLI. Name both of them.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... Identify three non-U.S. airlines that operated Boeing 747 equipment from SFO to LAX. These carriers could not carry local traffic, of course, but I'm pretty sure they could transport stopover traffic.
I'm reasonably certain of China Airlines (CI) and Philippine Airlines (PR); wondering if the other might be Varig (RG)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:30 pm

Sounds like the basis for yet another bonus quiz item!

Identify an airline that flew direct, no change for plane jet service from Santa Barbara (SBA) to Moline (MLI). Also identify the equipment flown on the route. In addition, there were two intermediate stops made between SBA and MLI. Name both of them.
I would say United Express flown by Air Wisconsin's BAE 146 with a stop in Denver and Fresno.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:14 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Correct

NWA 3 IAD-CLE-ORD-ANC-NRT. Flight 6 same route in reverse.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22
I'm reasonably certain of China Airlines (CI) and Philippine Airlines (PR); wondering if the other might be Varig (RG)
Philippine Airlines is correct operating B747-200 equipment.....however, there are two other airlines I have in mind that you did not identify.

So here's a hint: one is an Asian carrier and the other airline is based in Europe.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say United Express flown by Air Wisconsin's BAE 146 with a stop in Denver and Fresno.
No, the airline was not United Express operated by Air Wisconsin, the aircraft was not a BAe 146 and the stops were not DEN and FAT.....so please guess again, sir!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm almost positive the Martins were long gone by the time of the consolidation (which I believe was circa 1970) ...
You are correct. I took a look at the last timetable issued by Pacific Air Lines (dated April 28, 1968) prior to the merger with Bonanza and West Coast to form Air West and there is no mention of the Martin 4-0-4 in these flight schedules. So the old recip had finally been retired before the merger leaving the F-27 as the backbone of the Pacific fleet in addition to a handful of 727s.

BTW, I also looked at the July 1, 1968 timetable issued by Air West as I was curious to know what routes RW was flying with Pacific's B727-100s. Besides the aforementioned SFO-SBA route, Air West was also operating the 727 MRY-LAX, MRY-LAX-LAS, SFO-SJC-LAS and SFO-FAT-LAX.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 17, 2013 at 8:26 am
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:54 am

No, the airline was not United Express operated by Air Wisconsin, the aircraft was not a BAe 146 and the stops were not DEN and FAT.....so please guess again, sir!
If it is not American MD-80s MLI-DFW-BUR-SBA, then I throw in the white flag.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: BA
You are correct. I took a look at the last timetable issued by Pacific Air Lines (dated April 28, 1968) prior to the merger with Bonanza and West Coast to form Air West and there is no mention of the Martin 4-0-4 in these flight schedules....
Last reference I can see about an active Pacific Airlines Martin 4-0-4 is one seen in service at San Francisco in August 1967. The last of the fleet were sold in a big batch to a dealer in June 1968, but may well have been retired before (or well before) that time, of course. Air West was formed by merger in April 1968, so the Martins appear to have been left behind to be sold separately. They were never used significantly again.

I believe the Pacific 727 purchase lost them so much money that it was a significant part of their need for the Air West merger. Pacific was of course the airline that several Hollywood moguls had invested some spare millions into. Only two 727s were taken into the fleet, although they got leased out a lot, while a third was leased out on delivery and never operated for them. presumably they felt they needed them to be competitive with United, who were bringing 727s in to California.

Braniff DC-8-62s ...... an impulse dinner date (left LAX at 530 pm, took a taxi to some Italian restaurant along 101 in Burlingame where we could see the approach light piers; return flight was a TW 707-331 -- with the original JT3 non-fan engines -- that left SFO around 10pm)
Must ask, which did the Hot Date prefer ? The DC8 or the 707 ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.