Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
as did PA (747) and TW (L10 and 767; possibly 747 also) ... I seem to recall EA with an A300 at one point as well
Over the years at one point or another, I think just about all of the major airlines operated wide bodies between LAX and SFO. I think that most of these flights were either on their way to or coming from another destination, although there was probably the odd aircraft positioning flight as well. In other words, I believe the vast majority of these flights were not point-to-point service.

Looking at various OAGs from 1974 to 1991, one sees these airlines operating the following wide body equipment types from SFO to LAX....

American - DC-10

Continental - B747, DC-10

Delta - L-1011, B767-300

Eastern - A300, L-1011

National - DC-10

Pan Am - A300, B747, B747SP, DC-10

TWA - B747, L-1011

United - DC-10

In virtually all cases, only one flight a day was operated with these aircraft types and in some cases the service was not even daily.

And BTW, I remember flying on an Eastern A300 from SFO to LAX. This flight then continued on to ATL from LAX as a red eye. My one way coach fare on this EA flight was $29.00.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Interestingly, I flew more widebodies on the short 110 mile route between LAX and SAN than I did the 340 mile run between LAX and SFO. The San Diego flights included:

National DC-10 (Purchased a one way ticket in 1973 for $6.83)
American DC-10 (Aboard N110AA, the DC-10 that later crashed at ORD in 1979)
Delta L-1011

I flew two widebodied flights between SFO and LAX. The first was in September of 1978 aboard a Pan Am 747SP. It was my first ever flight aboard an SP and I paid the standby fare of $13.00 one way. The second was also aboard a 747SP, an ex-Pan Am bird that had recently been handed over to United per the sale of Pan Am's Pacific routes and assets. As such that was operated by United. When I flew it, it still had the old Pan Am cheatline and interior with United titles haphazardly slapped on.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

6. In the spring of 1983, two airlines provided nonstop DC-9 flights between Philadelphia and Raleigh/Durham. One of them offered a daily DC-9-30 while the other offered a daily X6 DC-9-10. Which airline operated which aircraft on this route?

Eastern (EA) with D9S service and Best Airlines (IW) with DC9 service.

Spot on, JL! I was unaware that Best ever operated way down south. Thanks for the detail!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per schedules published in the June 1st, 1968 OAG. ...

17. Although jet service between Des Moines and Los Angeles has been available via connection in Chicago for some time now, you prefer the more relaxed pace of this airline’s five stop propeller flight. Name the airline and equipment used. And – if you feel up to it – please identify the five intermediate stops. ...

I think this has to be United with a DC-6 ... guessing the route involved OMA, LNK, DEN, GJT, LAS

That is about as good as a guess can get, jrl22. In fact, it's so good that it really is a fact! UA did indeed operate the DC-6 between DSM and LAX via OMA, LNK, DEN, GJT and LAS. If I had my OAGs down here in Denali I'd post the schedule but alas...

Based upon schedules published in the July 15, 1992 OAG. ...

21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline and the equipment used. ...

How about UA again, on a 767-300

United is correct, however the equipment was not a 763. Care to guess again on that part? ____________________

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 16, 2013 at 12:40 am
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AussieExPat

21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline and the equipment used.

Maybe I'm missing something being very late to the game, but I read Seat 2A's comment to mean it wasn't a widebody. How about a 752?

Welcome to the Old Timer's U.S. Airline and Airliner Quiz, AussieExPat! Per the original question I was looking for widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco, though you are correct that in my comment to jrl22 I meant that American wasn't operating a widebody. Instead, they were indeed operating the 757-200 on the route at that time.

We look forward to more answers from you!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining questions from my latest batch of questions:

2. Ah, the memories… It was November 1999 on a beautiful autumn afternoon in Davenport, Iowa and you were sitting on the porch listening to the radio when it was announced that you could win a valuable prize by correctly identifying the only artist ever to win the Federal Duck Stamp competition five times. Inspired by a recent viewing of the movie Fargo, you immediately called in with the answer: Iowa’s very own Maynard Reese! Yesss!!!! Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding! Tell him what he’s won, Johnny: A free round trip ticket to New. York. City! You and a companion will fly roundtrip coach aboard the only nonstop daily flight from the only airport serving the Quad-Cities to New York’s LaGuardia Airport! Identify the airport as well as the airline and equipment used on this route. And what the heck - if you feel up to it, name the four cities that comprise the "Quad Cities". ANSWERED

4. Flush with cash following another successful weekend on the blackjack tables, you’ve decided to fly to Denver and join friends for dinner at the oldest steakhouse in the city, the fabulous Buckhorn Exchange. The Fried Alligator Tail and Rocky Mountain Oyster appetizers are not to be missed! In the spring of 1995, United, Frontier and America West offered a variety of flights throughout the day between Las Vegas and Denver but you’ve decided to try another airline that offers four daily nonstop flights (one is X34) to Denver. This same airline also offers a single daily nonstop between Denver and Dallas and best of all, its fares are ridiculously low. Identify the airline and the aircraft used on these routes.

5. In 1980, this airline operated a short lived service between Ft. Lauderdale and Las Vegas, continuing on to Los Angeles. Which airline was this and what type of aircraft was used on the route?

The following five questions are all based upon schedules published in the May 15, 1988 OAG.

7. Two airlines offered nonstop service between Tucson and Los Angeles. On weekdays, one of them offered five MD-80 nonstops while the other countered with three 737-200s. Which airlines were these?

9. Though once enjoying as many as three nonstop flights each day, by May of 1988 the San Francisco to Miami route was down to a single daily nonstop. Name the airline and the equipment used for this flight.

11. In May of 1988 there were just two daily nonstop flights between Las Vegas and Seattle, each operated by a different airline. Identify the airline and the equipment used.
America West 737-200 has been correctly identified as one of the airlines. The other airline remains as yet unknown and unanswered.

12. Five different airlines offered nonstop jet service on the 20 mile route between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Which airlines were they?

Partially Answered - AA, DL, UA

13. In 1978 I flew aboard a Frontier 737-200 between Durango, CO and Grand Junction, CO. Ten years later, a different airline was offering nonstop jet service on this route. Identify the airline and aircraft used.

The following three questions are all based upon schedules published in the June 1st, 1968 OAG.

14. This airline operated the only daily nonstop flight between Chicago, IL and Anchorage, AK. Identify the airline and the aircraft used. ANSWERED

15. Your vacation in Nantucket, MA is interrupted by an urgent call requesting your presence at a board meeting in Boston. Taking the ferry back to your car and then driving the rest of the way will not get you to Boston quickly enough. You’ll need to fly. This airline operates a one-stop flight to Boston aboard a modern jetliner. Identify the airline, the equipment used and the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

16. Four different airlines operated nonstop jet service between Tucson and Los Angeles. Identify each airline and its respective equipment used.

The following two questions are all based upon schedules published in the July 15, 1992 OAG.

21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline (United) and the equipment used.
ANSWERED

22. Bermuda enjoyed nonstop service from all three major New York City area airports. Identify which airline departed from each airport and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft operated by each airline.

25. It’s October of 1981 and you’ve been invited to an Autumn Festival in Bedford, New York. The closest airport to Bedford is in White Plains, just a few miles to the south. A quick check of your trusty OAG shows a single airline operating two daily nonstop flights (1 is X7) from O’Hare to Westchester County Airport in White Plains. Name the airline and the equipment used.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 17, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... Based upon schedules published in the July 15, 1992 OAG. ...
21. This airline operated the only daily nonstop widebodied jet service between Miami and San Francisco. Name the airline and the equipment used. ...
How about UA again, on a 767-300

United is correct, however the equipment was not a 763. Care to guess again on that part?__
going out on the "obscure answer is more likely right" limb again, I will posit a 747 rather than a DC-10 ... perhaps even the SP that continued to EZE (referring to another recent question that I got wrong ...)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Interestingly, I flew a lot more widebodies on the short 110 mile route between LAX and SAN than I ever did the 340 mile run between LAX and SFO. The San Diego flights included:

National DC-10 (Purchased a one way ticket in 1973 for $6.83)
American DC-10 (Aboard N110AA, the DC-10 that later crashed at ORD in 1979)
Delta L-1011 ...
in the mid 80s TW ran an L10 on that route also, "tag-end" of a JFK-LAX trip

I recall paying about $19 for that flight, then $49 for SAN-LAX-SFO on the turnaround flight (and connecting to another TriStar) ... LAX-SFO was about $59, so this was a nice way to get another 1000 miles for just a few dollars (and easy upgrades on mid-day and early afternoon flights)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA
Seat 2A, this thread is just as fascinating as your trip reports. I am sorry to have found it just today - since I could have answered some of the questions.

I too have flown the $13 PA 747P SFO-LAX and the $6.00 SAN-LAX PSA airfare.

I also flew a jet from SFO-SJC for $7.00. What was the airline and type of aircraft?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Thor3
I also flew a jet from SFO-SJC for $7.00. What was the airline and type of aircraft?
Probably one of the Californian interstate airlines, either PSA or Air California, and I would guess by the fare in the 1970s.

Lets go for Air California with a 737.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per WHBM: Probably one of the Californian interstate airlines, either PSA or Air California, and I would guess by the fare in the 1970s. Lets go for Air California with a 737.
WHBM, you took the words right out of my fingers! Air California with a 737 sounds about right. Then again, it could've been an Air West (or Hughes Air West) DC-9 of some series.

BTW, welcome to the Old Timer's U.S. Airline and Airliner Quiz, Thor3. We look forward to more of your answers and questions on any and all future postings.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:43 am

Both incorrect. I was on a Pacific Air Lines 727-100 routed SFO-SJC-LAS. Flew it on a Saturday and flew back on a "prop" flight 2 hours later.

Pacific eventually rolled into Bonanza and finally the yellow banana.

Next question: besides Pacific, who flew back?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... Pacific eventually rolled into Bonanza and finally the yellow banana. ...
that's right; their ad line was "Top Banana in the West ... Hughes AirWest"

(although RW was actually formed by the consolidation of Bonanza, Pacific, and West Coast)

... Next question: besides Pacific, who flew back?
I was going to say UA in response to the original question, but your timeline makes me think otherwise

was your "prop" flight a PC F-27?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... I flew two widebodied flights between SFO and LAX. The first was in September of 1978 aboard a Pan Am 747SP. It was my first ever flight aboard an SP and I paid the standby fare of $13.00 one way. ...
that summer I took a pair of $15 trips on Braniff DC-8-62s, one being the return leg of a weekend trip (having gone northbound on a TW L10) and the other being an impulse dinner date (left LAX at 530 pm, took a taxi to some Italian restaurant along 101 in Burlingame where we could see the approach light piers; return flight was a TW 707-331 -- with the original JT3 non-fan engines -- that left SFO around 10pm)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:13 am

... return flight was a TW 707-331 -- with the original JT3 non-fan engines -- that left SFO around 10pm)
Today that aircraft would not pass noise abatement advocates!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.