Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm going to guess this is Steve Udvar-Hazy and the company would be International Lease Finance Corporation (ILFC)
9. Correct! Here's a link to what I found to be an excellent article concerning Mr. Udvar-Hazy which appeared in a recent issue of Aviation Week....

https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...-life-aviation

Of course, some years ago Mr. Udvar-Hazy donated a large sum of money to the Smithsonian that allowed the National Air and Space Museum to build its museum annex which bears his name at Washington Dulles.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
16 (1976). Now you are in Port Au Prince, Haiti and need to travel to Detroit. You will be flying on two different airlines with a comfortable connecting time of two hours and 30 minutes between flights. Both flights will be nonstop and they will be operated with different aircraft types. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the different equipment.
16- as long as the Air France island-hopper is fresh in my mind, I’ll offer that as the first leg from PAP to Miami/MIA; the Caravelles were a casualty of the 1974 “Energy Crisis” and AF had brought in 737-200s (again recalling from some prior Quiz discussions that they were on lease from Western)

the onward MIA-DTW leg is a tossup between Delta and Eastern; let’s try DL with one of their DC-8-50s

18. (1979) Speaking of sailing, it's 1979 and you are now in Traverse City where you've been sailing with good friends on Lake Michigan. ... You quickly ascertain that three flights will be required to travel from Traverse City (TVC) to the Airport in the Sky (CIB) on Catalina Island. The first flight will be nonstop and the second flight will make one stop en route. The same aircraft type will be operated on both of these daily flights. The third flight will be operated by a small commuter air carrier which flies a shuttle service with … (a) small twin engine prop aircraft type. So with all this mind, identify all three airlines, both connecting airports, the stop made by the second flight, the same aircraft type operated on the first two flights and the prop equipment operated on the third flight.
18- working this backwards, I believe the airline that operated Piper (Navajo?) twins to CIB from LAX, Long Beach/LGB, and Orange County/SNA was Catalina Airlines

given the lack of long-haul service at LGB in 1979, a one-stop flight from a hub that would have had service from TVC strongly suggests the second connection point was SNA, which in turn points to a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 coming in from Phoenix/PHX

leading up to RW’s being absorbed into Republic, I’m pretty sure their eastward growth didn’t actually take them to either Chicago/ORD or Detroit/DTW, so that pretty much leaves Minneapolis/ MSP as the first connecting point

TVC-MSP would therefore have been on a Republic D9S

the entire trip would have been
  • TVC-MSP RC D9S
  • MSP-PHX-SNA RW D9S
  • SNA-CIB Catalina PAN

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 5, 2023 at 11:45 pm
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
16- as long as the Air France island-hopper is fresh in my mind, I’ll offer that as the first leg from PAP to Miami/MIA; the Caravelles were a casualty of the 1974 “Energy Crisis” and AF had brought in 737-200s (again recalling from some prior Quiz discussions that they were on lease from Western)

the onward MIA-DTW leg is a tossup between Delta and Eastern; let’s try DL with one of their DC-8-50s

18- working this backwards, I believe the airline that operated Piper (Navajo?) twins to CIB from LAX, Long Beach/LGB, and Orange County/SNA was Catalina Airlines

given the lack of long-haul service at LGB in 1979, a one-stop flight from a hub that would have had service from TVC strongly suggests the second connection point was SNA, which in turn points to a Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 coming in from Phoenix/PHX

leading up to RW’s being absorbed into Republic, I’m pretty sure their eastward growth didn’t actually take them to either Chicago/ORD or Detroit/DTW, so that pretty much leaves Minneapolis/ MSP as the first connecting point

TVC-MSP would therefore have been on a Republic D9S

the entire trip would have been
  • TVC-MSP RC D9S
  • MSP-PHX-SNA RW D9S
  • SNA-CIB Catalina PAN
16. Air France did not operate the first flight and this service wasn't operated with a 73S. The connection was not made at Miami. Delta did not operate the second flight and this service wasn't operated with a DC8.

18. You are on the right track here although the first connection was not made at Minneapolis/St. Paul. The commuter air carrier was actually Trans Catalina Airlines. And in fact, Hughes Airwest never served MSP.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
16- part of me wants to route this via JFK, but before doing that I'll offer Bahamasair from PAP to Nassau on a BAC 1-11, followed by an Air Jamaica 727-200 NAS-DTW

18- let's make the first connecting point Milwaukee/MKE
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- part of me wants to route this via JFK, but before doing that I'll offer Bahamasair from PAP to Nassau on a BAC 1-11, followed by an Air Jamaica 727-200 NAS-DTW

18- let's make the first connecting point Milwaukee/MKE
16. All good here except for the equipment on the second service as this connecting flight wasn't operated with a 72S.

18. Here are the Republic, Hughes Airwest and Trans Catalina scheds...

RC 390: Traverse City (TVC) 7:15a - 6:53a Milwaukee (MKE)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Meal service: Snack
Equip: D9S

Connecting to....

RW 47: Milwaukee (MKE) 8:00a - 10:40a Phoenix (PHX) 11:25a - 11:32a Orange County John Wayne (SNA)
Service class: S
Meal service: Breakfast MKE-PHX
Equip: D9S

Connecting to....

DC 449: Orange County John Wayne (SNA) 12:00n - 12:15p Catalina Island Airport (CIB)
Service class: Y
Meal service: Of course not...
Equip: PAG ("Piper (light aircraft)", according to the OAG)
Note: Daily flights from SNA to CIB also operated by Trans Catalina at 8:00a, 9:00a, 10:00a, 11:00a, 1:00p, 2:00p, 3:00p, 4;00p, 5:00p and 6:00p

Trans Catalina was also operating Grumman Mallard amphibian service into the Avalon seaplane base on Catalina Island from San Pedro Harbor at this time .

And back in the 1950's, United Air Lines served the airport on Catalina Island from LAX followed by Pacific Air Lines from LAX, LGB and BUR with both air carriers operating DC-3 equipment on their respective scheduled passenger services.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 6, 2023 at 5:44 pm Reason: additional DC sched info
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Back to the theme of "hundred dollar hamburger" joints I will throw out a fun little bonus question involving airport restaurants in the Golden State. Only one of these two airports has airline service (there's a hint) so let's assume you're flying yourself or chartered a turboprop to make your long intrastate journey.

It's the late 1990s and you're hungry for both Chinese food and sushi on the same day. One of California's favorite Chinese restaurants happens to be located in an airport building and, as luck would have it, one of California's best hidden gems for sushi is also on-airport.

At what airports will you be dining on Chinese food and sushi?
that's really a sharp looking 195

I'll speculate that the sushi restaurant was at Carlsbad/CLD, and the Chinese one was at ... hmmmmmmm ... Hayward

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 6, 2023 at 5:54 pm
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
10. You are in Dallas and are on your way to Omaha. Your flight operates daily and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. It wasn't Braniff International, stops were not made at OKC or ICT and the aircraft wasn't a 720 (or 720B)
How about AA, ORD, DSM, 727-200?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel
How about AA, ORD, DSM, 727-200?
10. Yet another great guess!

However, it wasn't American, the flight in question did not stop at Chicago O'Hare (or Chicago Midway} or Des Moines and the equipment wasn't a 72S.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- JM D9S
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

10. Yet another great guess!

However, it wasn't American, the flight in question did not stop at Chicago O'Hare (or Chicago Midway} or Des Moines and the equipment wasn't a 72S.

Please guess again, sir!
We also know the following:
10. You are in Dallas and are on your way to Omaha. Your flight operates daily and makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. It wasn't Braniff International, stops were not made at OKC or ICT and the aircraft wasn't a 720 (or 720B)
Looking at my map, I'm guessing the stops could have been in Tulsa and Kansas City (evenly spaced and more or less a straight line).

As for airline/airplane, I'll go with DL DC9-15. At the very least, I know DL had DC9s in its fleet back then.​​​​​​​
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16- JM D9S
16. Here are the Bahamasair and Air Jamaica scheds...

UP 62: Port au Prince (PAP) 2:15p - 3:45p Nassau (NAS)
Freq: Fridays and Sundays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: BAC One-Eleven

Connecting to....

JM 061: Nassau (NAS) 6:15p - 9:15p Detroit (DTW)
Freq: Daily except Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: DC-9-30
Note: JM 061 complete routing KIN-MBJ-NAS-DTW

Here's a photo of a Bahamasair BAC One-Eleven 401AK....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Baha...even/2361308/L

And here's a photo of an Air Jamaica DC-9-32....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10553965

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 7, 2023 at 9:04 am Reason: added photo links
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
We also know the following:

Looking at my map, I'm guessing the stops could have been in Tulsa and Kansas City (evenly spaced and more or less a straight line).

As for airline/airplane, I'll go with DL DC9-15. At the very least, I know DL had DC9s in its fleet back then.
10. Ah, it wasn't Delta nor was the equipment a short body DC-9 and the first stop made by the flight in question wasn't Tulsa.

However, you have correctly guessed the second stop: Kansas City.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
10. Ah, it wasn't Delta nor was the equipment a short body DC-9 and the first stop made by the flight in question wasn't Tulsa.

However, you have correctly guessed the second stop: Kansas City.
This is getting stranger and stranger, because it's hard to think of any other airlines that served Dallas, Kansas City, and Omaha all at the right time. But I'll suggest Eastern, via ATL and MCI, with a 727-100.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kochleffel
This is getting stranger and stranger, because it's hard to think of any other airlines that served Dallas, Kansas City, and Omaha all at the right time. But I'll suggest Eastern, via ATL and MCI, with a 727-100.
10. Well, you've correctly guessed the equipment!

However, it wasn't Eastern and the first stop was not made in Atlanta.

And just an FYI: MCI wasn't open yet in 1968 so the second stop was made at MKC.

Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 7, 2023 at 10:26 am Reason: MKC comment
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10- the only other 727 operator I can think of is Frontier, and the only city on their route map that makes sense geographically is Little Rock/LIT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.