Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

Old May 20, 13, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
Well, I believe it was a Cubana fifth freedom route actually operated by Martinair Holland N.V with a DC-10......
I'm pretty sure it was Transavia, at least the AMS-LGW-IAH codeshare was in 1999.

I knew we'd get to Cubana DC-10s eventually
I don't remember Martinair DC-10s operating for CU just the 3 AOM ones including the one bunted at Guatemala City. But since they never bothered to paint any if them in CU livery, it's hard to tell.
Old May 20, 13, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
Well, it wasn't CP, it wasn't anyone from Britain, so must be a US carrier. The only two running DC10s from Gatwick then were Northwest and Continental. It's not Northwest, but also thrice-weekly is unusual for a US carrier, who normally like daily flights, thus a bit of an oddball. So I'm going to go for Continental in the days when they operated through Denver, given that this route didn't last for too long from London.
Yes!!! Nicely done, WHBM! and thank you for finally answering this question correctly. I do indeed remember seeing this flight in the schedules back then, too. (Unfortunately, I just couldn't remember it for the purposes of answering this question correctly!) It used to depart Denver for Honolulu around 6:00pm. What a great time for a flight to Hawaii; flying west into the setting sun, comfortably ensconced in a nice First Class seat, a nicely chilled Mai Tai and a dish of macadamia nuts at hand... Unfortunately I never did get to experience that particular flight though I did manage a P Class seat on 5:30pm departure aboard a Continental DC-10 between Sydney for Honolulu back in 1991.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 21, 13 at 2:01 am
Old May 20, 13, 10:46 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
But what about the other airline? Well, the answer is a bit different: it was actually Air Marshall Islands (CW) operating a DC-8 Combi. Here's the sched.....

CW 103: HNL-KWA-MAJ
Op: Tuesdays and Sundays only
Equip: D8M
Class of service: Y only

BTW, Air Marshall Islands was also operating turboprop service into Kwajalein at this time with Hawker Siddeley 748 and Dornier 228 equipment. Here's the destinations that were exclusively served by CW with the propjets from KWA:

Airok (AIC)
Bikini Atoll (BII)
Eniwetok (ENT)
Jabat (JAT)
Jeh (JEJ)
Lae (LML)
Likiep (LIK)
Loen (LOF)
Majkin (MJE)
Megit (MJB)
Ujae Island (UJE)
Woja (WJA)
Wotho (WTO)

All of the above destinations are also in the Marshall Islands and all were served once a week by Air Marshall Islands with either the HS748 or the D228 from Kwajalein.

And if these little spots in the middle of the deep blue sea do not qualify as being very exotic locations, then I really do not know the meaning of the word "exotic"!
Air Marshall Islands...Wow, thanks for the history, jlemon! That is one airline that I never knew about that served HNL.
Old May 20, 13, 10:49 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Well there were a decreasing number of options left ! Honolulu long ago, in the 1960s, used to be a significant point on BOAC's operations, with flights in three directions, to California and the UK, to Australia, and to Asia, but there were very few British passengers destined there. However in more recent times a whole range of one-stop operations through North American points have come and gone, by the year, I suspect most of the suggestions above have happened (apart from the Cubana suggestion - really Wally ! ! ). Pan Am used to offer a 747 flight through LA or San Francisco.
Thanks for the history, Mr. WHBM! Perhaps we can revive some earlier discussions about the Southern Cross Route and the Fiesta Route on this thread.

BTW: UA used to fly their 747s with this route, HNL-SFO-LHR in 1991.
Old May 20, 13, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
The next four quiz items all have a time line of late winter in early 1985:

11) Two airlines were competing at this time on the nonstop route between Los Angeles (LAX) and Houston Hobby (HOU). Name both airlines and respective aircraft types they were flying on the route.

Well I'm pretty sure one of them was Muse Air, operating an MD-80 of some variant. The other airline I'm not so sure about but I'm going to go with Southwest, flying a 727-200. It was about this time that Southwest had leased a handful of 727-200s from People Express for nonstop flights from San Antonio to California while awaiting the arrival of its first 737-300s which would have been better suited for the longer flights to the Golden State. Although the Wright Amendment prohibited flights out of Love Field to all but adjoining states, no such restrictions were in force out of Hobby, so Southwest makes the most sense to me.

13) This airline was operating nonstop flights on the weekends between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Durango, CO (DRO) during the ski season in the Rockies. Identify the air carrier and the equipment flown on the route.

I remember this one - I think. It was Frontier operating a 737-200.
Old May 21, 13, 12:31 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
I'm pretty sure it was Transavia, at least the AMS-LGW-IAH codeshare was in 1999.
Wally's right, it wasn't so much an "operating for" as a codeshare that Transavia were doing for Continental. At the time they had a two/three times daily schedule Amsterdam to Gatwick, and Continental took seats (I presume if there were any through passengers at all) on that. It was a period when a range of sundry connections were run through Gatwick. Virgin Atlantic even ran a Vickers Viscount in their full livery from there.

Regarding Airline of the Marshall Islands, I believe the DC8-62 Combi was looked after for them by Hawaiian Airlines. It was on the US register so remained under FAA oversight, unlike the local service turboprops which had MI- Marshall Islands tail numbers. Much of the DC8's main-deck cargo carried was fish. Must have stunk a bit for the passengers in the small compartment at the back. But the 748 they ran on local services in the islands for many years had started life over here in the UK, in Manchester, built new for the airline. Support of it in such an out-of-the-way place was a nightmare, it says here http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index...t&thread=10341 which however is a fascinating page of photographs of exotic 748s, by someone who worked at the factory. It's a big long webpage so search for "Marshall" - unless you like the photos along the way ! The 748 had quite a history with the smll carriers of the Pacific islands (though I don't think it ever got used in Hawaii), getting chosen by Fiji, Tonga, and such like, sometimes just single aircraft. As you might guess, it was a way of channeling UK Foreign Aid to these small places.

Now, boys, regarding Cubana, surely you knew that when they were operating these connecting hops in Europe, well away from the prying eyes of the Houston headquarters, and fixed up by the CO Gatwick station manager who just happened to be an old airliner buff and pretended in his OAG submissions that it was a 737, Cubana were still operating Ilyushin 62s on them ? Of course, the passengers from Denver, bleary-eyed after an overnight transatlantic crossing, but who would never trust such an aircraft, had to be told it was actually a VC-10 that was standing in that day

Last edited by WHBM; May 21, 13 at 3:45 am
Old May 21, 13, 7:26 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index...t&thread=10341 which however is a fascinating page of photographs of exotic 748s
Good find - swelled my collection of Budgies nicely. ^
Old May 21, 13, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
16) It's Christmas time in 1989 and you are in Austin. It's been cold with freezing rain and even a bit of snow, which is unusual for central Texas. However, the air service has not been affected too much by the weather which is a good thing as you would like to travel over to New Orleans for some excellent hot gumbo and a cold beer or two with old friends in the French Quarter. Now, you could travel from AUS to MSY with the usual connection in DAL, DFW, HOU or IAH.....but then you discover that one airline is operating daily nonstop service between the two cities and better yet, the aircraft offers a first class section! Name the airline you'll being flying on in first class nonstop to the Crescent City and identify the aircraft.
Let's try Delta -- with a 727.
Old May 21, 13, 5:07 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post

I knew we'd get to Cubana DC-10s eventually
I don't remember Martinair DC-10s operating for CU just the 3 AOM ones including the one bunted at Guatemala City. But since they never bothered to paint any if them in CU livery, it's hard to tell.
Yes, Wally, it was definitely Transavia with a B737!

And, no, I do not really think that Martinair ever operated for Cubana!
Old May 21, 13, 5:11 pm

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat

Now, boys, regarding Cubana, surely you knew that when they were operating these connecting hops in Europe, well away from the prying eyes of the Houston headquarters, and fixed up by the CO Gatwick station manager who just happened to be an old airliner buff and pretended in his OAG submissions that it was a 737, Cubana were still operating Ilyushin 62s on them ? Of course, the passengers from Denver, bleary-eyed after an overnight transatlantic crossing, but who would never trust such an aircraft, had to be told it was actually a VC-10 that was standing in that day
Indeed, sir! And I'm glad you understand my take COncerning this matter, so to speak!

Last edited by jlemon; May 21, 13 at 5:34 pm
Old May 21, 13, 5:27 pm

Here's how Seat 2A did in his post #2705 above.....

11) Muse Air with MD-80 service nonstop HOU-LAX is correct! As is Southwest with B727-200 nonstops between HOU and LAX as well! Muse Air operated one MD-80 round trip a day in this market while Southwest was operating two round trips with 72S equipment. And WN was also operating 72S service between HOU and MSY at this time.

13) Frontier is correct with nonstop 73S service on the weekends between HOU and DUR during ski season!
Old May 21, 13, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq View Post
Let's try Delta -- with a 727.
16) Ah, but it was another airline.....please guess again!
Old May 21, 13, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

8) In the spring of 1981, this airline was flying nonstop Boeing 727-100 service from San Francisco (SFO) to Miami (MIA). Identify the air carrier.

That is a lonnnng flight for a 727. Any chance it was eastbound only?
I flew SFO-MIA a number of times in 1980 aboard Eastern Airlines L-1011s. By 1981 this route would have been served by Eastern and Pan Am, and I'm having a hard time picturing either airline operating a 727 on a transcon route like SFO-MIA. Indeed I seem to remember Pan Am operating 747s on the MIA-LAX flights. I was thinking that maybe Northeast International might have run this route but I checked and they never served SFO. Hmm...

I did a couple of Unlimited Mileage Fares on Eastern around that time and by 1980 some of the 727-100s were starting to be sold off as new 727-200s and DC-9-50s came online. Additionally, most people preferred widebodies on transcon flights. Hmm...

Assuming it isn't some other airline I just can't think of, I'm gonna have to go with Pan Am on this one.
Old May 22, 13, 6:09 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
16) Ah, but it was another airline.....please guess again!
AUS-MSY nonstop in 1989 offering first class -- if it wasn't DL, the only other suspect woud be CO with a MD-80, although I thought all of their flights connected in IAH. So I'm having trouble with this one.
Old May 22, 13, 3:03 pm

Programs: All of them!
16) AUS/MSY (1989) This was Pan American, using 72S aircraft.
#475 routing was JFK/MSY/AUS (overnight stop)
#476 operated AUS/MSY/JFK in the morning

Search this Thread
Search Engine: