Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
19) Also at this time, this airline was operating direct, one stop service between London Gatwick (LGW) and Honolulu (HNL). The service was flown three days a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft operated on the route. And for bonus points, also identify the intermediate stop.

cs57's suggestion of Vancouver as the intermediate stop and the fact that it was flown with a DC-10 got me to thinking that perhaps it was...

CANADIAN AIRLINES LGW-YVR-HNL with a DC-10-30

6) In 1968, this airline was operating nonstop Caravelle jet service between Miami (MIA) and Panama City, Panama (PTY) three days a week. Name the air carrier.

Well I'm pretty sure Aerolineas Argentinas, Varig and LAN Chile all flew Caravelles into Miami at one time or another, but with Chile's location on the west coast of South America, it seems that LAN Chile would be best suited to route its Caravelle flights through Panama City. So - LAN Chile. Hopefully my final answer!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

18) There were two airlines operating flights between Kwajalein (KWA) in the Marshall Islands and Honolulu (HNL). From Honolulu, one airline operated three days a week to Kwajalein with two intermediate stops made en route. The other air carrier flew nonstop twice a week. Name both airlines and the respective aircraft they operated on the route. And for bonus points, identify the two intermediate stops.

This sounds like one for tonywestsider.
I have a great postcard of one of the airline's aircraft that served this route. Nice livery!
Originally Posted by jlemon
5)
18) Paging tonywestsider!
Aloha! I've been paged...

The one carrier that operated three days a week from HNL to KWA was CO Air Micronesia. The aircraft used at that time was a Boeing 727-200 (727S). The intermediate stops were Johnston Island and Majuro. The routing was HNL-JON-MAJ-KWA. And then on the same routing, the flight continued from KWA to KSA (Kosrae), then to PNI (Pohnpei), TKK (Truk) and then to GUM (Guam).

Wild guess on the other carrier flying twice a week nonstop from HNL to KWA. Air Nauru might have had a route nearby, but was most likely HNL-MAJ rather than HNL-KWA. My other guess is that HNL to KWA was served by South Pacific Island Airways (SPIA). They flew Boeing 707s. A wild guess of the route was HNL-KWA-GUM.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: BA
19) 6) In 1968, this airline was operating nonstop Caravelle jet service between Miami (MIA) and Panama City, Panama (PTY) three days a week. Name the air carrier.

Well I'm pretty sure Aerolineas Argentinas, Varig and LAN Chile all flew Caravelles into Miami at one time or another, but with Chile's location on the west coast of South America, it seems that LAN Chile would be best suited to route its Caravelle flights through Panama City. So - LAN Chile. Hopefully my final answer!
I would go for LAN Chile as well in this era. Panama is rather far west for a service from Miami to Rio etc, and I believe in 1968 that Aerolineas were still running Comets to Miami. Oh well, the Comet and the Caravelle both looked the same for the front half of the aircraft (because they were the same, the nose section of the Caravelle was designed, and the first ones actually built, by De Havilland using the Comet tooling).

In passing, and I know we did Caravelles back on this thread a good while ago, I think Miami saw more Caravelle operators than anywhere else in North America. These three South American companies, plus Air France, and of course United when they used to do the north-south routes. I don't have notes on whether any of the more recent Caravelle operators from Colombia etc ever ran to there.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Wild guess:

Cubana operated by AOM DC-10 via Havana
Well, that is a wild guess there, Wally!

However, it was definitely another airline!
Old May 20, 2013, 9:28 am

Comet/Caravelle front fuselages

I know I've written about the Comet/Caravelle commonality before, but in case you wondered how they got around various assembly plants in Europe here is a picture of one (unfortunately the caption is inaccurate) being trucked through the city of Chester in the 1950s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26237061@N07/5640477658/

and the same little-changed scene today, now turned into a pedestrian plaza, where it's difficult to imagine that jet airliner fuselages once passed

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.1900...42.32,,0,-1.01
Old May 20, 2013, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
19) Also at this time, this airline was operating direct, one stop service between London Gatwick (LGW) and Honolulu (HNL). The service was flown three days a week. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft operated on the route. And for bonus points, also identify the intermediate stop.

cs57's suggestion of Vancouver as the intermediate stop and the fact that it was flown with a DC-10 got me to thinking that perhaps it was...

CANADIAN AIRLINES LGW-YVR-HNL with a DC-10-30

6) In 1968, this airline was operating nonstop Caravelle jet service between Miami (MIA) and Panama City, Panama (PTY) three days a week. Name the air carrier.

6) LAN-Chile is correct! Here's the sched....

LA 151: MIA-PTY-GYE-LIM-SCL-EZE-MVD
Op: Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays only
Equip: Caravelle
Class of service: Y only

LAN-Chile was also operating this flight as well at this time.....

LA 455: JFK-MIA-PTY-LIM-SCL-EZE
Op: Fridays only
Equip: B707
Classes of service: F/Y

LAN-Chile was also operating additional B707 flights from JFK/MIA to South America at this time; however, they did not stop in PTY.

19) Well, this quiz item is proving to be interesting!

However, the airline was not Canadian (CP).

So here's a hint: the intermediate stop between HNL and LGW was not on the west coast of the U.S. or Canada.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 20, 2013 at 10:34 am
Old May 20, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I would go for LAN Chile as well in this era. Panama is rather far west for a service from Miami to Rio etc, and I believe in 1968 that Aerolineas were still running Comets to Miami. Oh well, the Comet and the Caravelle both looked the same for the front half of the aircraft (because they were the same, the nose section of the Caravelle was designed, and the first ones actually built, by De Havilland using the Comet tooling).

In passing, and I know we did Caravelles back on this thread a good while ago, I think Miami saw more Caravelle operators than anywhere else in North America. These three South American companies, plus Air France, and of course United when they used to do the north-south routes. I don't have notes on whether any of the more recent Caravelle operators from Colombia etc ever ran to there.
LAN-Chile is correct!

And thanks for the excellent photos!
Old May 20, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

19) Well, this quiz item is proving to be interesting! However, the airline was not Canadian (CP).

So here's a hint: the intermediate stop between HNL and LGW was not on the west coast of the U.S. or Canada.....
Great question, Mr. Lemon! So we know it was a DC-10 and that the stop was not on the west coast of the U.S. or Canada. Hmm... Let's go with Northwest, operating a long range DC-10-40 routing LGW-MSP-HNL.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great question, Mr. Lemon! So we know it was a DC-10 and that the stop was not on the west coast of the U.S. or Canada. Hmm... Let's go with Northwest, operating a long range DC-10-40 routing LGW-MSP-HNL.
19) Ah, it was not Northwest.....so please guess again!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:10 am

Well, it wasn't CP, it wasn't anyone from Britain, so must be a US carrier. The only two running DC10s from Gatwick then were Northwest and Continental. It's not Northwest, but also thrice-weekly is unusual for a US carrier, who normally like daily flights, thus a bit of an oddball. So I'm going to go for Continental in the days when they operated through Denver, given that this route didn't last for too long from London.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Well, it wasn't CP, it wasn't anyone from Britain, so must be a US carrier. The only two running DC10s from Gatwick then were Northwest and Continental. It's not Northwest, but also thrice-weekly is unusual for a US carrier, who normally like daily flights, thus a bit of an oddball. So I'm going to go for Continental in the days when they operated through Denver, given that this route didn't last for too long from London.
19) Continental operating a DC-10-30 on a routing of HNL-DEN-LGW three days a week is correct!

And this service actually continued on to AMS using the same CO flight number although there was a change of aircraft at LGW and the operator of the LGW-AMS leg was not Continental.

Anyone care to guess the aircraft type and the identity of the operator that flew on behalf of CO between LGW and AMS? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; May 20, 2013 at 7:22 pm Reason: Answer update
Old May 20, 2013, 12:04 pm

Well there were a decreasing number of options left ! Honolulu long ago, in the 1960s, used to be a significant point on BOAC's operations, with flights in three directions, to California and the UK, to Australia, and to Asia, but there were very few British passengers destined there. However in more recent times a whole range of one-stop operations through North American points have come and gone, by the year, I suspect most of the suggestions above have happened (apart from the Cubana suggestion - really Wally ! ! ). Pan Am used to offer a 747 flight through LA or San Francisco.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Anyone care to guess the aircraft type and the identity of the operator that flew on behalf of CO between LGW and AMS?
Transavia 737-200
Old May 20, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Aloha! I've been paged...

The one carrier that operated three days a week from HNL to KWA was CO Air Micronesia. The aircraft used at that time was a Boeing 727-200 (727S). The intermediate stops were Johnston Island and Majuro. The routing was HNL-JON-MAJ-KWA. And then on the same routing, the flight continued from KWA to KSA (Kosrae), then to PNI (Pohnpei), TKK (Truk) and then to GUM (Guam).

Wild guess on the other carrier flying twice a week nonstop from HNL to KWA. Air Nauru might have had a route nearby, but was most likely HNL-MAJ rather than HNL-KWA. My other guess is that HNL to KWA was served by South Pacific Island Airways (SPIA). They flew Boeing 707s. A wild guess of the route was HNL-KWA-GUM.
Hey Tony! Continental Micronesia with B727-200 service is correct! And the Air Mike 72S routing of HNL-JON-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM is correct as well!

When I was working as Director of Marketing for Mahalo Air at HNL, I would usually see this flight (CO 957) departing three days a week first thing in the morning as I was arriving at my office at the airport. Alas! I never got to fly on this classic milk run route across the vast expanse of the Pacific to Guam!

And I probably could have scored a first class pass from my friends with CO in HNL at the time in order to do so! Oh well......

But what about the other airline? Well, the answer is a bit different: it was actually Air Marshall Islands (CW) operating a DC-8 Combi. Here's the sched.....

CW 103: HNL-KWA-MAJ
Op: Tuesdays and Sundays only
Equip: D8M
Class of service: Y only

BTW, Air Marshall Islands was also operating turboprop service into Kwajalein at this time with Hawker Siddeley 748 and Dornier 228 equipment. Here's the destinations that were exclusively served by CW with the propjets from KWA:

Airok (AIC)
Bikini Atoll (BII)
Eniwetok (ENT)
Jabat (JAT)
Jeh (JEJ)
Lae (LML)
Likiep (LIK)
Loen (LOF)
Majkin (MJE)
Megit (MJB)
Ujae Island (UJE)
Woja (WJA)
Wotho (WTO)

All of the above destinations are also in the Marshall Islands and all were served once a week by Air Marshall Islands with either the HS748 or the D228 from Kwajalein.

And if these little spots in the middle of the deep blue sea do not qualify as being very exotic locations, then I really do not know the meaning of the word "exotic"!
Old May 20, 2013, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Transavia 737-200
Well, I believe it was a Cubana fifth freedom route actually operated by Martinair Holland N.V with a DC-10......and a very special front cabin service featuring superb Cuban cigars paired with top shelf Mojitos made with only the finest Cuban rum selections was offered as the aircraft flew over the North Sea.......the boys at CO in Houston looked the other way, of course, as they were trying to secretly lease some old, beat up A300s to CU at the time, and besides....those Cuban cigars were just too good to pass up!

Or perhaps my memory as an airline old timer is getting a bit deficient here....

And it really was Transavia with B737 equipment operating CO 34 and CO 35 between LGW and AMS.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.