Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
31-
  • SXM-San Juan/SJU-Port au Prince/PAP-Miami/MIA on an Air France 737-200
  • MIA-Houston/IAH-Austin/AUS-San Antonio/SAT-El Paso/ELP-TUS on a Continental 720
34- let's try Republic with DC-9-10s; connection in Salt Lake City/SLC, first flight stopping in Las Vegas/LAS
31. Air France is correct operating a 737-200 SXM-SJU-PAP-MIA.

Bonus questions: A) Was Air France permitted to carry traffic between SJU and MIA? B) The 737-200 aircraft operated on this Air France service was leased from another airline. What airline?

Continental is correct operating from MIA to TUS and stops were made at IAH, AUS and ELP. However, this flight did not stop at SAT and CO never operated the non-turbofan powered Boeing 720.

34. It wasn't Republic, the first stop wasn't made at LAS, the connection was not made at SLC and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-10.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
31- Midland/Odessa (MAF) between AUS and ELP, and a 720B
34- PSA, MD-80s connecting at Los Angeles/LAX, first stop San Diego/SAN
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
31- Midland/Odessa (MAF) between AUS and ELP, and a 720B

34- PSA, MD-80s connecting at Los Angeles/LAX, first stop San Diego/SAN
31. The Continental flight did stop at MAF; however, the equipment wasn't a Boeing 720B.

34. It wasn't PSA, the first stop wasn't SAN, the flights did not connect at LAX and the MD-80 was not operated on these flights.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 5, 2022 at 10:55 am Reason: airport code correction for 31
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
34. Now it's 1985 and you are in Reno. You're off to Seattle for dinner with old friends and have found an interesting way to get there. You'll need to make a connection but will be flying with the same airline with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. Your first flight will make one stop en route and your second flight will be nonstop with a quick one hour connection between both flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting airport and the aircraft. It wasn't AirCal, United, Republic or PSA, the stop made by the first flight wasn't SJC, SMF, LAS or SAN, the connection was not made at PDX, SFO, SLC or LAX, and the equipment operated on both flights wasn't a 737-200, 727-100, DC-9-10 or MD-80.
#34 - Horizon with a pair of F-27 flights: RNO-BOI-GEG connecting to GEG-SEA
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
#34 - Horizon with a pair of F-27 flights: RNO-BOI-GEG connecting to GEG-SEA
34. Well, I was waiting for someone to mention Horizon Air! And your routing and connection airport are correct!

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Horizon Air nor was the equipment the Fairchild F-27. And the aircraft type we are looking for was actually a jet.

We now await the tap-in....
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
34. Well, I was waiting for someone to mention Horizon Air! And your routing and connection airport are correct!

However, the air carrier in question wasn't Horizon Air nor was the equipment the Fairchild F-27. And the aircraft type we are looking for was actually a jet.

We now await the tap-in....
Will AS with a 72S sink this short putt?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Will AS with a 72S sink this short putt?
34. Alas, no it won't, sir!

Please guess again!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by WHBM
"Change of Gauge".

This always seemed an odd US concept for what in all honesty is a connecting flight. ...
I always thought such "change of gauge" flights were rather deceptive. ...
I always thought that too. I remember in particular Northwest had a lot of these in their last years; my dad used to take one when traveling to China in the early 2000s. It was one flight number for MEM-SEA-NRT-PVG, but MEM-SEA was at first a 757 (later an A320), and while the other two segments were 747s, they weren't the same one - so it was effectively 2 connections despite no change of flight number.

At one point we wondered if the one flight number would at least guarantee your connection (i.e., they'd hold the connection for a late arrival). It didn't take long to experience firsthand that, in fact, they do not.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by strickerj
I always thought that too. I remember in particular Northwest had a lot of these in their last years; my dad used to take one when traveling to China in the early 2000s. It was one flight number for MEM-SEA-NRT-PVG, but MEM-SEA was at first a 757 (later an A320), and while the other two segments were 747s, they weren't the same one - so it was effectively 2 connections despite no change of flight number.

At one point we wondered if the one flight number would at least guarantee your connection (i.e., they'd hold the connection for a late arrival). It didn't take long to experience firsthand that, in fact, they do not.
Not only that but one probably only got the ~great circle miles.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA
A similar aspect, I think also unique to the USA, of flight numbering is joining aircraft segments into and then out of a hub into one flight number as a "through" flight. It's something that regularly comes up in examples here. If it reflected commercial demand it would be understandable, but one has long found flights say (inventing here) Pittsburgh-Chicago-Oklahoma City. No through flight coming the other way, and by the next year it's separate flights Pittsburgh-Chicago-Memphis, and Toronto-Chicago-Oklahoma. It just seems that the technical operation in and out is joined up. Apparently having to transfer aircraft at the hub because of a decision of aircraft scheduling to do things differently is not unknown, and I presume the feature described above of late arrivals finding the continuing flight for the next sector had already left probably happens as well.

It's almost as if there was some tax on the quantity of flight numbers used !
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
third and last guesses of the day:

31- CO 727-224
34- not sure it's exactly a "tap-in" ... given the routing, the airlines and equipment that have been ruled out, and the fact that it's indeed a jet, I'll offer Cascade with a BAC 1-11
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
It's almost as if there was some tax on the quantity of flight numbers used !
American, and possibly others, use the same flight number for many round trips and this was thought to be that they were running out of flight numbers. Presumably five digit numbers would break things.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:35 pm

34. Now it's 1985 and you are in Reno. You're off to Seattle for dinner with old friends and have found an interesting way to get there. You'll need to make a connection but will be flying with the same airline with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. Your first flight will make one stop en route and your second flight will be nonstop with a quick one hour connection between both flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the connecting airport and the aircraft.
This wouldn't be Cascade Airways with their onetime pioneer British United/British Caledonian BAC One-Elevens they took over from Pacific Express when they went under, would it ?

** Edit - Oh look, after all these days of this one being out there, just while distracted by Little Miss WHBM's bathtime ducks (seriously - one has a leak), jrl has just pipped me at the post with the same answer ...

Last edited by WHBM; Oct 5, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This wouldn't be Cascade Airways with their onetime pioneer British United/British Caledonian BAC One-Elevens they took over from Pacific Express when they went under, would it ?
34. Yes, indeed, it was Cascade Airways which was operating just one departure a day from Reno at this time....and it wasn't even a daily flight. Here are the scheds...

CZ 022: Reno (RNO) 2:00p - 4:00p Boise (BOI) 4:30p - 4:25p Spokane (GEG)
Freq: Daily except Tuesdays & Wednesdays
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: BAC One-Eleven

Connecting to....

CZ 194: Spokane (GEG) 5:25p - 6:15p Seattle (SEA)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays
Service class: Y
Meal service: None
Equip: BAC One-Eleven

Cascade was reportedly planning to begin serving SFO with the BAC One-Eleven. However, financial difficulties finally caught up with the airline and after 17 years of scheduled passenger operations, Cascade went out of business in 1986. And I do not believe they ever served any destination in California.

Here's a link to a photo of a Cascade BAC One-Eleven at SEA....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Casc...even/2508274/L

Note this particular airplane is identified in the photo caption as a series 401AK aircraft. If true, I would then think it was initially delivered new to American.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:41 pm

Here's a link to a photo of a Cascade BAC One-Eleven at SEA....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Casc...even/2508274/L

Note this particular airplane is identified in the photo caption as a series 401AK aircraft. If true, I would then think it was initially delivered new to American.
Yes, in addition to the B Cal/Pacific Express fleet, Cascade also bought the couple of Bahamasair One-Eleven aircraft when the latter went under, which had started life with American. This particular aircraft has doubtless featured in The Quiz in its subsequent life as well, as it later served with Air Illinois, and later still with Tikal Jets, a somewhat obscure operation from Guatemala.

I see Horizon, who operated in much the same territory, got mentioned about a possible answer here, and although they never actually operated the One-Eleven, they leased one of these aircraft from Cascade for a short while the year after this question, just as they were starting to build up their Fokker F.28 fleet, possibly when delivery of the latter had been delayed.
jlemon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.