Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
8. Being the Best isn't Everything, It's the Only Thing. TWA

10. We have to earn our wings every day. Eastern

14. We fly the world the way the world wants to fly. Pan Am

Last edited by tonywestsider; May 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nicely done, Tony! I sure do miss the days when airlines actually endeavored to live up to these slogans!
Old May 11, 2013, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here's what's left of those airline slogan questions:

4. Live today. Tomorrow will be________________. Which Airline?

12. The Up and Coming Airline ~ Which Airline?

17. You get three feet for your two legs. ~ Which Airline?
4. "will cost more." Pan Am. Note, no "be".

12. Piedmont

17. Western
Old May 11, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here's what's left of those airline slogan questions: 1-20
Seat 2A -- may I add a few to your great list? Identify the airline:

21. My favorite (too easy): " ________ is ready when you are."

22. "Work Hard. Fly Right."

23. "We love to fly and it shows."

24. "Catch our smile."

25. Ding..."You are now free to move about the country."

26. "Top Banana in the west" (another easy one)

27. Two airlines called themselves "Airline of the Stars"

28. At least three airlines have used the slogan "World's Friendliest Airline." The most recent is this year. Only one of them had/has USA domestic routes.

29. "The Route of the Pilgrims"

I have some more old international airline slogans, but for now I'll just throw in an ad, not really a slogan, from the mid 1950s:

30. Its print ads proclaimed it as "The Luxury World-Wide Airline," and "The World's Largest Network of Air Routes Serving 76 Countries in 6 Continents."
Old May 11, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq
Seat 2A -- may I add a few to your great list? Identify the airline:

21. My favorite (too easy): " ________ is ready when you are."
22. "Work Hard. Fly Right."
23. "We love to fly and it shows."
24. "Catch our smile."
25. Ding..."You are now free to move about the country."
26. "Top Banana in the west" (another easy one)
27. Two airlines called themselves "Airline of the Stars"
28. At least three airlines have used the slogan "World's Friendliest Airline." The most recent is this year. Only one of them had/has USA domestic routes.
29. "The Route of the Pilgrims"

I have some more old international airline slogans, but for now I'll just throw in an ad, not really a slogan, from the mid 1950s:

30. Its print ads proclaimed it as "The Luxury World-Wide Airline," and "The World's Largest Network of Air Routes Serving 76 Countries in 6 Continents."
21. DL
22. CO
23. DL
24. PS
25. WN
26. RW
27. TW & NA
28. PS (the US carrier). Also, FJ, Panagra, LY (to cyclists)
29. PT
30. AF
Old May 11, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: All of them!
Name the Airline:

1) ---------------, Fly Smart.

2) ---------------, Fly with friends.

3) ---------------, A whole different animal.

4) ---------------, the LOW fare airline.

5) ---------------, Life is a journey, travel it well.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
21. DL
22. CO
23. DL
24. PS
25. WN
26. RW
27. TW & NA
28. PS (the US carrier). Also, FJ, Panagra, LY (to cyclists)
29. PT
30. AF
Wow! -- clean sweep before the ink was dry on the questions -- I'd better try to post some tougher ones!
Old May 12, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by cs57
Name the Airline:

3) Frontier, A whole different animal.

I'll respond to this one.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by cs57
name the airline:

1) ---------------, fly smart.

2) ---------------, fly with friends.

3) ---------------, a whole different animal.

4) ---------------, the low fare airline.

5) ---------------, life is a journey, travel it well.
1. Pe
2. Os
4. Wn
5. Ua
Old May 13, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: BA
These Madison Avenue slogans, some more believable than others, never made much headway with UK advertising (well, not until Virgin came along and put their witty snipes at BA along the aircraft, along with their classic "More experience than our name suggests "). However, maybe some can complete the following, which I believe all come from our period :

"Try a little ......... tenderness".

"The world's ....... airline".

"We'll take more ......."

"8.50 Tri....."

"Russiaway ........."

"The holiday airline" (tough one)

"a votre service"

"I'm a L....... liker"

"I wish they could all be .........."

"Let's go .........."

Last edited by WHBM; May 13, 2013 at 6:04 am
Old May 13, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
These Madison Avenue slogans, some more believable than others, never made much headway with UK advertising (well, not until Virgin came along and put their witty snipes at BA along the aircraft, along with their classic "More experience than our name suggests "). However, maybe some can complete the following, which I believe all come from our period :

"8.50 Tri....."

"Russiaway ........."

"a votre service"

"I'm a L....... liker"

"Let's go .........."
"The world's most experienced airline"....as in Qantas.

BTW, just spent a long weekend in SoCal. We flew into and out of ONT and it was a refreshing experience. I had not used that airport in many years (my last jet flights into/out of Ontario were back in 1986 via Alaska Air B727-200 aircraft although I have used ONT since then for short haul turboprop flights). A clean, modern, uncrowded facility.....and apparently underutilised as well, if I recall recent statements by LAWA correctly.....
Old May 13, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
These Madison Avenue slogans, some more believable than others, never made much headway with UK advertising (well, not until Virgin came along and put their witty snipes at BA along the aircraft, along with their classic "More experience than our name suggests ").......
I also remember the Virgin Atlantic ad campaign for the launch of their new service from LAX way back in the day......"Try a British virgin".
Old May 13, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. Live today. Tomorrow will cost more. Pan Am

12. The Up and Coming Airline ~ Piedmont

17. You get three feet for your two legs. ~ Western

Well done, InDelaware ~ you've hit the trifecta!

Not being familiar with any of the British airline slogans outside of some of BA's more enduring ones such as being the World's Favourite Way to Fly, I nonetheless will have a stab at this one:

"I'm a LAKER liker"

Nice follow up questions, everyone! ^
Old May 13, 2013, 2:23 pm

"8.50 Tri....."

"Russiaway ........."

"a votre service"

"I'm a L....... liker"

"Let's go .........."
"We'll take more care of you." BA

"I wish they could all be Caledonian girls." CA, back when it was Caledonian Airways

"Russiaway to Japan" BA, back when it was BOAC

"a votre service" AF

"Let's go British Caledonian" BR, back when it was British Caledonian
Old May 15, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've got a day off here in Alaska's Interior that would probably be better spent working. That's because while we're enjoying a nice sunny day up here in Fairbanks, down in Denali snow is on the way. According to the latest weather reports, the high country could see as much as 8-12 inches with snowfall starting tomorrow night. (Edited to inform that by all appearances, that forecast looks to be correct.)

Due to the weather here combined with dodgy internet access of late, my ability to respond to answers in a timely fashion will be compromised so I'm going to limit this to four questions - already answered by our pal jlemon, and will resubmit the remainder at a later date.

3. March can be a bit blustery in southern Michigan and this weekend is no different. Let’s head back to the warmth of the Sunshine State. It’s Saturday and two airlines operate nonstop DC-10 service down to Orlando. One of them is Northwest. What is the other airline?

4. For years you’ve always had to fly from Orlando to Omaha, Nebraska via a connection in Chicago. Who’d have thought that there’d ever be a nonstop flight someday? Well that day has arrived and you’ve booked a seat upon the single daily nonstop flight departing Orlando this evening at 6:45pm. What airline is this and what type of plane will you be flying upon?

9. Who’d want to spend three and a half hours flying between Mexico City and Los Angeles aboard a comparatively cramped narrow bodied jetliner from MX, AM, DL or UA when you could fly in international First Class comfort aboard this airline’s wide-bodied jet? Not you! After relaxing in the First Class lounge at Mexico City’s Benito Juárez International Airport, you stroll down the jetway and turn left into the spacious First Class cabin where your comfortable sleeper seat awaits. What airline and aircraft are you flying upon?

10. This airline is the only one offering nonstop service between Los Angeles and both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. You are booked aboard its 1:30pm nonstop to Ft. Lauderdale. Name the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.