Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
The inspiration for these questions came when I was reading an article in a back issue of Classic Trains by the late David Ingles about a trip in the mid 1970s to Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Iowa. He said at the end of the trip, he flew home from SUX on an Ozark DC-9, and he thought a friend flew from SUX to DEN on a WA 737.

Ah... there's a fine old memory... Ingles, Edmonson, Philips and of course the incomparable David P. Morgan contributed many enjoyable reads to the pages of the original Airliners International (1973/74). DPM in particular mentioned the garish green tablecloths and yellow napkins whilst enjoying a rare flight in First Class aboard Ozark from... IIRC STL-DFW.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
32. (1986) You’re relaxing at a golf resort outside Bangkok when you get a call from the home office. You need to get over to Lagos, Nigeria ASAP. Lagos? Lagos?! How many connections and airlines is that gonna take?! Thankfully, a local travel agent has found you a most convenient itinerary, all on one airline and involving just a single convenient connection. Thankfully you won’t have to make your connection all the way up and over in Europe. However, both your first flight to the connection point and your second flight to Lagos will involve an enroute stop. Identify the airline, the complete routing including connection point and enroute stops along with the two aircraft types involved.

Must have been a 747-200 on the first flight, and the A310 most likely put down at Nairobi/NBO en route to LOS

That's the one we're looking for. Here's the itinerary...

Air India AI 307 Bangkok (BKK) 1055p-1155p Calcutta (CCU) 125a-355a Bombay (BOM) 747-200 Tu
Air India AI 205 Bombay (BOM) 530a-925a Nairobi (NBO) 1025a-130p Lagos (LOS) A310-300 We
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

11. (1993) From one side of the country to the other - You’re traveling from Vancouver, BC to Halifax, NS. Your first flight will be nonstop, after which you’ll connect to a one-stopper to Halifax. Two small twinjets of different manufacture will be employed and you’ll be fed breakfast, lunch and dinner along the way. Please identify the two airlines, the two enroute stops and the two equipment types.
AC D9S YVR-YEG We need the mystery airline YEG-YWG-YYZ-YHZ 737-200

34. (1987) You love flying First Class and you love being served a nice meal inflight. As such, you couldn’t be happier to be booked upon a four stop flight between Washington DC and Las Vegas upon which you’ll be served two lunches and a dinner enroute. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft type.N
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 11, 2022 at 2:04 am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:46 am

We're also still waiting on answers for the last three questions of my mini-quiz.

There seems to be a lull here right now, so here's a four question "mini quiz" based on Ozark's December 15, 1976 timetable.

1. Ozark had six flights a day from DEN, with nonstops to two cities. Name the city that had 4x day nonstops from DEN, and the city with 2x day nonstops.

Answered: 4x day to SUX and 2x day to ALO.

2. At 9:35 AM, a flight departs DEN for LGA, and makes four intermediate stops. The first stop is the city served 4x day. Name the stops.

3. At 10:05 AM, a flight departs DEN for ORD, and makes three intermediate stops. The first stop is the city served 2x day. Name the stops.

4. By 1976, Ozark was phasing out their FH 227s as quickly as possible. Most of their flights from MSP had been upgraded to DC-9s. However, OZ still had two FH-227 flights from MSP. Both flights made the same three enroute stops, to the same final destination. Name the three stops and the final destination. Hint: STL was neither the final destination nor an enroute stop.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA
32. (1986) You’re relaxing at a golf resort outside Bangkok when you get a call from the home office. You need to get over to Lagos, Nigeria ASAP. Lagos? Lagos?! How many connections and airlines is that gonna take?!
A significant onetime player in Asia to Africa flights was, surprisingly, BOAC, and later British Airways, connecting between routes from London to each which stopped at Cairo, where a substantial presence was long maintained, interrupted only briefly by the political issues there in the late 1950s. There was actually quite a lot of trade between the various onetime colonial territories in the two continents, and Cairo formed an appropriate pivot point. In fact it had started with Imperial Airways flying boats in the 1930s, which shared the route to both along the Mediterranean as far as Alexandria, Egypt's port, and developed this as a major point. When WW2 came along, and transit of the Mediterranean and across Europe was no longer possible, the two were joined by the joint Imperial Airways/Qantas flying boat "Horseshoe Route", from Australia as far as Cairo, then down to South Africa.

Because of BOAC's licences from Hong Kong, where they long kept Cathay Pacific to more local routes, they developed the route from there direct to Johannesburg, routing through Singapore and Mauritius, which lasted well into 747 days, possibly until 1990, when Cathay took it over. Pilots were crewed from London, and operated the grand triangle via stopovers along the way London-Hong Kong-Johannesburg-London, the round trip taking about three weeks.

I believe BA's No 1 intercontinental-to-intercontinental traffic through London is still USA/Canada to India, and USA/Canada to Africa comes second.
jlemon likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
34. (1987) You love flying First Class and you love being served a nice meal inflight. As such, you couldn’t be happier to be booked upon a four stop flight between Washington DC and Las Vegas upon which you’ll be served two lunches and a dinner enroute. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft type.
  • I started out trying to make this work with Eastern; came up with a feasible routing for a 72S or a 757 (DCA-Florida-ATL-PHX-LAS), but MIA/PBI/FLL/MCO/TPA-ATL seems too short for lunch service
  • Western was still around in the first part of the year; again, there's a feasible 72S routing (DCA-MSP-SLC-LAX-LAS), but there's no way SLC-LAX would have featured dinner
  • TW only had the STL hub, CO wasn't yet serving DCA, NW route system could accommodate with a D9S but would been too convoluted (DCA-DTW-MSP-MEM-PHX-LAS), ditto for UA with a 72S (DCA-ORD-XXX-DEN-SFO-LAS)
I think this falls into the "wild guess" category: American MD-80, running DCA-ORD-IAH-DFW-PHX-LAS
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well, it was an MD-80. Beyond that, you'll have to re-do the rest of this response.
guess from last week:
34- well, the MadDog means it must have been JetAmerica, which means the first two stops were MSP and SEA ... Portland and Long Beach for the others

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 8, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

2. At 9:35 AM, a flight departs DEN for LGA, and makes four intermediate stops. The first stop is the city served 4x day. Name the stops.
2. This would have been my kind of flight sitting in a window seat ahead of the wing on the two-seat side in the single class cabin of the Ozark DC-9-30.....

And I'll guess the stops were Sioux City, Peoria, Champaign and Washington Dulles.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
2. This would have been my kind of flight sitting in a window seat ahead of the wing on the two-seat side in the single class cabin of the Ozark DC-9-30.....

And I'll guess the stops were Sioux City, Peoria, Champaign and Washington Dulles.
You are 100% correct. Here's the schedule for OZ 528:

Leave DEN 0935, arrive SUX 11:44 (snack)
Leave SUX 1200, arrive PIA 12:52
Leave PIA 13:10, arrive CMI 13:34
Leave CMI 13:50, arrive IAD 16:10 (snack)
Leave IAD 16:28, arrive LGA 17:20

A fun way to spend a day!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

34. (1987) You love flying First Class and you love being served a nice meal inflight. As such, you couldn’t be happier to be booked upon a four stop flight between Washington DC and Las Vegas upon which you’ll be served two lunches and a dinner enroute. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft type.

Well, the MadDog means it must have been JetAmerica, which means the first two stops were MSP and SEA ... Portland and Long Beach for the others

I don't know why it couldn't have been AA, CO, DL, NW or US... but it matters not as it was indeed Jet America. Here's the itinerary:

Jet America SI 407 Washington (DCA) 1100a-1245p L Minneapolis (MSP) 115p-250p L Seattle (SEA) 330p-410p Portland (PDX) 440p-700p D Orange County (SNA) 740p-840p Las Vegas (LAS) DC-9-80 Daily
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

4. By 1976, Ozark was phasing out their FH 227s as quickly as possible. Most of their flights from MSP had been upgraded to DC-9s. However, OZ still had two FH-227 flights from MSP. Both flights made the same three enroute stops, to the same final destination. Name the three stops and the final destination. Hint: STL was neither the final destination nor an enroute stop.
4. As St. Louis isn't the termination point for these flights, let's go with Kansas City which I believe was a focus city for Ozark. As for the stops, I'll guess Rochester, Waterloo and Des Moines as they are all basically on a direct path between MSP and MCI.

BTW, I never had the opportunity to fly on board a Fairchild Hiller FH-227. However, I did get the chance to fly on board a Fairchild F-27 roundtrip between Santa Barbara and San Jose. The airline was ConnectAir, a new start up based at SBA, which quickly ran out of money and then disappeared after going tango uniform. I seem to recall they had their airplanes repossessed in the middle of the night at SBA due to non payment of the leases.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I did get the chance to fly on board a Fairchild F-27 roundtrip between Santa Barbara and San Jose. The airline was ConnectAir
I believe that my only F27 flight was on a Fokker-manufactured one operated by Luxair. I was 18 and it was a bit of a surprise to be offered a tumbler of Scotch at 10:00 a.m.

I had in my head that I had once flown CLE-SYR in a Wright-operated F27, but now I don't think that Wright ever flew such a thing, so maybe it was a Convair-something. The return was on Empire in an F.28, which I think was my only flight in that model.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I believe that my only F27 flight was on a Fokker-manufactured one operated by Luxair. I was 18 and it was a bit of a surprise to be offered a tumbler of Scotch at 10:00 a.m.

I had in my head that I had once flown CLE-SYR in a Wright-operated F27, but now I don't think that Wright ever flew such a thing, so maybe it was a Convair-something. The return was on Empire in an F.28, which I think was my only flight in that model.
I went to Cleveland in 1984 and well remember the Wright Air Lines Convairs (600 and 640 models) flying in and out.
Sadly I didn't make the effort to get a ride in one, something I regret now.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
I went to Cleveland in 1984 and well remember the Wright Air Lines Convairs (600 and 640 models) flying in and out.
Sadly I didn't make the effort to get a ride in one, something I regret now.
I took a number of flights on Convair 600 aircraft operated by Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) which, of course, subsequently changed its name to Texas International. And I also flew on board Convair 580 aircraft operated by Era Aviation in Alaska (including a memorable ride in the flight deck jump seat one fine morning from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay) back when I worked for this company.

I also just finished reading a book entitled "Ceiling Unlimited" by Robert J. Serling which concerns the history of North Central Airlines from its inception as Wisconsin Central in 1948 up until 1972. In 1959, North Central President Hal Carr made a decision to upgrade and expand the NC fleet (which was solely comprised of DC-3 aircraft at the time) by purchasing used Convair 340 aircraft from Continental (with Mr. Carr personally negotiating the purchase of these airplanes with Bob Six, President of CO). North Central also seriously looked at the then-new Fairchild F-27 at the time. However, the F-27 had a price tag of around $1 million each. So Mr. Carr continued to negotiate with Mr. Six for the CO Convair 340 airplanes and a price of $325,000 apiece was agreed upon. NC then subsequently acquired Convair 440 equipment and the CV-340 and CV-440 airplanes were, of course, eventually converted to CV-580s. Mr. Carr later stated that going with the Convairs with the eventual conversion to turboprop power were among the best decisions he ever made.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 10, 2022 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW, I never had the opportunity to fly on board a Fairchild Hiller FH-227. However, I did get the chance to fly on board a Fairchild F-27 roundtrip between Santa Barbara and San Jose. The airline was ConnectAir,
The F.27 was a rare bird for me as well. My only flights were back in 1981 aboard Air Polynesie between Papeete and Bora Bora, on to Raiatea a week later, then Moorea.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
interestingly, I logged about a dozen flights on Mohawk FH-227Bs to and from ITH in 1971/72, and another on OZ (ORD-BRL-UIN-STL) in the spring of 1976, before any of my four flights on F.27s (a round-trip LAX-EDW on a Rockwell International corporate bird in late 1976, Horizon SEA-PDX in 1982, and NW (Mesaba) DAY-DTW in 1994)
Seat 2A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.