Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Just to add about this longstanding Electra operation, it was only jointly operated by the four carriers on paper. The Electras all belonged to Varig, and they operated them all, as the only Electra operator in Brazil. The schedules purported it to be operated by all four airlines, but this was just some revenue distribution due to a government licencing restriction. All carriers showed all flights in their timetables. The route operated every hour, and at morning and evening peaks every 30 minutes. Varig used a fleet of around a dozen Electras on the operation.
I thought this was the case but was not completely sure so thank you!

Although the Electras were indeed owned and operated by Varig, I also believe the "Air Bridge" aircraft did not carry Varig titles. Can you confirm?

P.S. - I think I just answered my own question: photos of the L-188 Electra at Santos Dumont back in the day all (except one) show the aircraft with Varig titles.....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by jlemon
Good Afternoon All!

The yard work is complete, more or less (at least for the moment), so let's return to The Quiz......

The first fourteen (14) quiz items all have a time line of the Fall of 1993:

4) Only one airline was operating direct flights between San Francisco (SFO) and Auckland (AKL). The service was not nonstop but was flown with no change of plane from AKL to SFO four (4) days a week. This flight also made two stops en route. Identify the air carrier and the two intermediate stops as well as the aircraft type operated on the route.

6) This air carrier was operating weekly nonstop service between Hong Kong (HKG) and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM). Identify the airline and the aircraft it operated on the route.

12) This airline was operating direct, no change of plane service from Bangkok (BKK) to Portland (PDX). These flights were operated four (4) days week. Twice a week the flight made one stop en route. The other two days the flight made two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment operated and the intermediate stops.
Really guessing at the above questions because I don't have access to an OAG so I stand to be corrected big time:

4.) United Airlines. The route was SFO-LAX-HNL-AKL. The aircraft was a Boeing 747 (not sure if it was SP or the 400 series). HNL-AKL was part of UA's buy out of PA's Pacific routes several years earlier but UA discontinued the route sometime after 1993.

6.) Air Niugini. Not sure if the aircraft was an Airbus 310 or a Boeing 767-300ER.

12.) Guessing (wild guess) that this is Delta Airlines. The intermediate stops were Seoul and Tokyo. The aircraft used was a Mc Donnell Douglas MD-11.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My goodness, things certainly have been busy of late here at the OTUSAAQ. Although I've no lawns to mow nor even beers to drink here in Carpinteria, California, I've have enjoyed taking a few moments to read over the questions, answers and commentary while doing a load of laundry here at my hotel. Tomorrow I'll relocate into a roomette aboard Amtrak's Coast Starlight and head north to Portland, Oregon. Perhaps I might even attempt to answer a couple of jlemon's latest batch of questions from the comfort of a lounge chair in the Wi-Fi equipped Pacific Parlour Car whilst savoring an exquisitely chilled Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Amtrak's Pacific Parlour Car

In the meantime, let's have a go at a couple of these questions...

5) This airline was operating weekly one stop, no change of plane service between San Francisco (SFO) and Khabarovsk (KHV). Name the airline and the intermediate stop along with the equipment operated on the route

I'm thinking this may have been Alaska Airlines, operating with an MD-80.

10) Four (4) different airlines were operating nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Papeete (PPT) at this time. Identify all four air carriers and the respective equipment types they operated on the route.

Let's go with Qantas 747-200, Air New Zealand 747-200, Air France 747-400 and AOM DC-10-30.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
7) Only one airline was flying between Guam (GUM) and Hong Kong (HKG). Flights were operated three (3) days a week. This service was flown nonstop two days a week with the same aircraft type and on a one stop, direct basis on the third day with a different aircraft type. Name the air carrier, the aircraft types operated and the intermediate stop that was served once a week between GUM and HKG.
In July of 1992 I flew Continental Micronesia GUM-HKG-GUM on (I think) a 727; later CO switched to 737-800 for this route, but I'll go with the 727. As for the intermediate stop once a week, I'll guess it was Saipan (SPN).
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Really guessing at the above questions because I don't have access to an OAG so I stand to be corrected big time:

4.) United Airlines. The route was SFO-LAX-HNL-AKL. The aircraft was a Boeing 747 (not sure if it was SP or the 400 series). HNL-AKL was part of UA's buy out of PA's Pacific routes several years earlier but UA discontinued the route sometime after 1993.

6.) Air Niugini. Not sure if the aircraft was an Airbus 310 or a Boeing 767-300ER.

12.) Guessing (wild guess) that this is Delta Airlines. The intermediate stops were Seoul and Tokyo. The aircraft used was a Mc Donnell Douglas MD-11.
First and foremost, my thoughts & prayers go out to those affected by the terrible events that occurred earlier today in Boston......

4) Given the long standing United hub at SFO, one would think they were the airline operating this direct, no change of plane service from AKL. However, they were not, although UA did offer connecting service via LAX. Thus, it was another airline.....so please guess again!

6) Air Niugini (PX) is correct! Aircraft was the A310. And besides the weekly POM-HKG nonstop, PX was also operating direct one stop A310 service via Manila (MNL). Here are the actual schedules:

PX 010 - POM-HKG-MNL-POM Op: Mondays only

PX 020 - POM-MNL-HKG-POM Op: Fridays only

The two class configuration on the PX A310 aircraft consisted of business and coach seating.

12) The wild guess proves to be correct! The airline was indeed Delta operating three class (F/C/Y) MD-11 equipment. However, the routings were a bit different. Here are the eastbound schedules:

DL 50 - BKK-TPE-SEL-PDX Op: Wednesdays and Sundays only

DL 56 - BKK-TPE-PDX Op: Tuesdays and Saturdays only

Besides Bangkok, Seoul and Taipei, DL was also serving Tokyo from PDX with the MD-11 at this time. Here's the eastbound sched:

DL 52 - NRT-PDX-ATL Op: Daily

DL 50 and 56 connected with DL 52 at PDX for the ATL service. Delta also had other connecting services at PDX for their TPAC flights as Portland was a mini-hub at the time for DL. BTW, I had the opportunity to fly Delta's business class on the MD-11 a number of times and it was always very nice.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here's how Seat 2A did.....

5) Alaska Airlines (AS) is an excellent guess as they were indeed serving Khabarovsk (KHV) in the Russian Far East (as well as Magadan and Vladivostok) at this time on a weekly basis with MD-80 equipment. Here are the actual schedules:

AS 201 - SEA-ANC-GDX-KHV-VVO Op: Mondays only (AS 201 departed SEA at 11:00am local and arrived VVO the next day at 9:00pm local)

AS 202 - VVO-KHV-GDX-ANC-SEA Op: Wednesdays only (AS 202 departed VVO at 1:30pm local and arrived SEA the same day at 11:50am local)

However, you'll note that SFO is conspicuously absent from these schedules.

Thus, it was another airline......so please guess again!

10) Air France (AF), Air New Zealand (NZ), AOM (IW) and Qantas (QF) are all correct!

Here are the respective aircraft types operated on the nonstop LAX-PPT route:

AF - Alternated between A340 and B747-400 (depending on specific date ranges)

NZ - B747-200

IW - DC-10-30

QF- B747-200 Combi (74M)

AF, NZ and QF all offered three class service while IW offered two class service (J/Y).

The AF routings were CDG-LAX-PPT and the IW routings were ORY-LAX-PPT.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
In July of 1992 I flew Continental Micronesia GUM-HKG-GUM on (I think) a 727; later CO switched to 737-800 for this route, but I'll go with the 727. As for the intermediate stop once a week, I'll guess it was Saipan (SPN).
7) Continental Micronesia ("Air Mike") is correct! Boeing 727-200 equipment was used to fly the twice weekly GUM-HKG nonstops.

The weekly intermediate stop at Saipan (SPN) is also correct!

However, you did not name the different aircraft type flown on the GUM-SPN-HKG routing!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:29 pm
fwh

My goodness, things certainly have been busy of late here at the OTUSAAQ. Although I've no lawns to mow nor even beers to drink here in Carpinteria, California, I've have enjoyed taking a few moments to read over the questions, answers and commentary while doing a load of laundry here at my hotel. Tomorrow I'll relocate into a roomette aboard Amtrak's Coast Starlight and head north to Portland, Oregon. Perhaps I might even attempt to answer a couple of jlemon's latest batch of questions from the comfort of a lounge chair in the Wi-Fi equipped Pacific Parlour Car whilst savoring an exquisitely chilled Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Amtrak's Pacific Parlour Car

Wow, nice picture
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
7) Continental Micronesia ("Air Mike") is correct! Boeing 727-200 equipment was used to fly the twice weekly GUM-HKG nonstops.

The weekly intermediate stop at Saipan (SPN) is also correct!

However, you did not name the different aircraft type flown on the GUM-SPN-HKG routing!
That's because I didn't know it without doing some research! I suspect it was a DC10. When I did the GUM-HKG trip, CO was also flying a DC10 GUM-SPN-NGO (Nagoya).
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:41 pm

9) This airline was operating direct, one stop, no change of plane service from Berlin to Damascus (DAM) once a week. This flight was the only direct service on the route. Berlin was served by three (3) different airports at this time. First, identify the airport in Berlin this service operated from. Then, name the air carrier, the aircraft type operated and the intermediate stop.
I'll go with Syrianair (RB) with a departure from Schoenefeld (SXF). I've only flown into Berlin once, in 1969 on a BEA BAC-111 from Frankfurt for a one-day sightseeing side trip (complete with a taxi ride through Checkpoint Charlie to see the other side of the Wall) on my way to the Middle East, but it was to Templehof (THF).
RB flew SXF-ATH-DAM, although I'm not sure of the aircraft -- either a 727 or a Tu-154.

Last edited by miniliq; Apr 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm Reason: corrected airport code
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:00 pm

4) Given the long standing United hub at SFO, one would think they were the airline operating this direct, no change of plane service from AKL. However, they were not, although UA did offer connecting service via LAX. Thus, it was another airline.....so please guess again!
jlemon: Thanks for the schedule history and your experiences flying TPAC. Let me give question 4 another go again. My guess for the airline is NZ. Now, I am taking another wild guess that the routing did not go through HNL at all. The routing probably was AKL-PPT-LAX-SFO. S2A has a giveaway in his answer. NZ used a Boeing 747-200 for the route, although my other guess is, NZ might have used a Boeing 767-200ER as well.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Tony, I can't say with 100% surety, but I don't recall Air New Zealand ever flying into SFO. I'm thinking it might have been Continental, routing SFO-HNL-NAN-AKL with a DC-10...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:20 am

Tony, I can't say with 100% surety, but I don't recall Air New Zealand ever flying into SFO. I'm thinking it might have been Continental, routing SFO-HNL-NAN-AKL with a DC-10...
I'm struggling to find NZ having SFO service on their route maps in that decade with no results. Thank you for bringing up CO. I do remember their DC-10 service operating to the South Pacific but I just couldn't remember the route.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: BA
9) This airline was operating direct, one stop, no change of plane service from Berlin to Damascus (DAM) once a week.
I'll go with Syrianair (RB) with a departure from Schoenefeld (SXF).....RB flew SXF-ATH-DAM, although I'm not sure of the aircraft -- either a 727 or a Tu-154.
I'll just pop in here to offer that the aircraft was a Super Caravelle ..... because I saw this flight. However this sighting might have been one or two years earlier, 91 or 92. I was in Berlin, had been to Schoenefeld airport (as you do !) and had noticed from the timetable that this Caravelle was still running, operating once-weekly Copenhagen-Berlin SXF-Athens-Damascus. Back in GDR days, only a couple of years earlier at the time, Interflug had also run from Berlin to Damascus at low frequency, this had gone but the Syrianair remained. It would have been an interesting flight to have seen .... except there were no sightseeing facilities at Schoenefeld at all.

So a couple of days later (and I believe it was Saturday, late lunchtime), having forgotten this, I was in the local S-Bahn train some miles north of the airport, heading for Erkner, looking out of the window as we were going along - and there was the Caravelle, inbound from Copenhagen, on finals for SXF. It passed ahead of the train so I saw it from both sides as it descended to the runway. It was the last Caravelle I EVER saw airborne. More recent ones were all in museums.

Syrianair's last two Caravelles (YK-AFB and -AFD) lasted until December 1994, some of the last in use anywhere. They were the later, Pratt & Whitney-powered Super Caravelle. One was new to them in 1966, the other was ex-Sterling Airways. Long-time thread readers here will recall we did Sterling Caravelles way, way back last year, so we've gone right round in a circle !

Last edited by WHBM; Apr 16, 2013 at 12:36 am
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's because I didn't know it without doing some research! I suspect it was a DC10. When I did the GUM-HKG trip, CO was also flying a DC10 GUM-SPN-NGO (Nagoya).
Correct! And I think the aircraft may have actually been a DC-10-30 (but I'm not completely sure about this).....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.