Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
This looks like a question that would be easy to look up so I will refrain from doing so.

ORD - Indianapolis - Fort Wayne Baer Field - ** Toledo Express - Willow Run - DTW, Additional answer - the plane crash there **
TOL is correct. IND, FTW, and YIP are incorrect. The aircraft's route would have been ORD-???-???-???-TOL-DTW, but it crashed between ??? and TOL.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
Bonus 4- let’s try TI operating MEX-IAH-LCH-LFT-MSY, and SO operating MSY-BTR-Alexandria/AEX(ESF?)-MLU-MEM-MDW
The routing flown by the Texas International flight from Mexico City to New Orleans is correct.

However, the flight operated by Southern from New Orleans to Chicago Midway did not stop in Alexandria (and SO never served Alexandria) but the first stop made by this service was indeed Baton Rouge. So we are looking for just one more stop here in the correct sequence.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I have a bonus question while we wait for jlemon's internet to come back up.

Saturday marks the 55th anniversary of a Lake Central Airlines crash. On March 5, 1967, a Lake Central Convair 580 crashed after the right propeller assembly separated and a blade cut the aircraft in half. All 38 passengers and crew lost their lives.

The aircraft was enroute from ORD to DTW with 4 intermediate stops. Name the stops.
Second try. (Oh, Lake Central, not North Central. Lake Central was acquired by Allegheny (US Air) but North Central merged with Southern to form Republic (later acquired by Northwest. Who is brave enough to admit that they are old enough to have flown aboard North Central?)

ORD - South Bend - Cincinnati - Columbus - Toledo - DTW
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
… Southern from New Orleans to Chicago Midway did not stop in Alexandria (and SO never served Alexandria) but the first stop made by this service was indeed Baton Rouge. So we are looking for just one more stop here in the correct sequence.
third stop was at one of three “G” possibilities in Mississippi:
  • Greenville / GLH
  • Greenwood / GWO
  • Golden Triangle Regional (Columbus/Starkville) / GTR
I know the DC9 operated thru GTR, but can’t speak to whether SO served the others with anything but their Martin 404s in 1975
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
third stop was at one of three “G” possibilities in Mississippi:
  • Greenville / GLH
  • Greenwood / GWO
  • Golden Triangle Regional (Columbus/Starkville) / GTR
I know the DC9 operated thru GTR, but can’t speak to whether SO served the others with anything but their Martin 404s in 1975
Nope, it wasn't GTR.....
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
GLH
(thanks, Wikipedia; time to move things along)
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Who is brave enough to admit that they are old enough to have flown aboard North Central?)
I logged quite a few flights with Herman, starting with a DC-9-50 operated milk run MSP-EAU-CWA-GRB-ORD back in August of 1978. North Central was my go-to airline between MSP and DEN back in the late 1970s. Their Picnic Basket luncheons represented the best food on the route at that time
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I logged quite a few flights with Herman, starting with a DC-9-50 operated milk run MSP-EAU-CWA-GRB-ORD back in August of 1978. North Central was my go-to airline between MSP and DEN back in the late 1970s. Their Picnic Basket luncheons represented the best food on the route at that time
I only flew on North Central twice. It was a round trip flight to and from Rhinelander, Wisconsin on a Convair 580. I flew on a Convair 580 4 times. It seemed spacious to me. Maybe because it didn't have overhead compartment, just a shallow rack for a coat.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:14 am

Second try. (Oh, Lake Central, not North Central. Lake Central was acquired by Allegheny (US Air) but North Central merged with Southern to form Republic (later acquired by Northwest. Who is brave enough to admit that they are old enough to have flown aboard North Central?)

ORD - South Bend - Cincinnati - Columbus - Toledo - DTW
CVG and CMH are correct, but SBN is incorrect. To keep the question moving, I'll rule out the most logical next guess for the first stop: although it was in Indiana, it wasn't at IND.

The route was ORD-???-CVG-CMH-TOL-DTW. The crash occurred in Marseilles, Ohio, about halfway between CMH and TOL.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GLH
Bonus # 4: Yep, the missing stop made by the Southern Airways flight in question is little ol' Greenville which is located on the eastern side of the mighty Mississippi River in the western portion of Mississippi in what's known as the "Delta" region of the state which is also known for its blues music. The B.B. King Museum and Delta Interpretive Center are located just east of Greenville in Indianola.

Here are the scheds....

TI 998: Mexico City (MEX) 8:15a - 11:05a Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 12:20p - 12:53 Lake Charles (LCH) 1:15p - 1:38p Lafayette (LFT) 1:56p -2:24p New Orleans (MSY)
Freq: MEX-IAH daily except Sun., IAH-MSY daily
Service class: S
Meal service: Breakfast MEX-IAH
Equip: DC9

Connecting to (following a late lunch of red beans and rice with Cajun smoked sausage and an ice cold Dixie beer at the cafe located at the junction of concourses A and B in the MSY terminal).....

SO 350: New Orleans (MSY) 5:35p - 6:00p Baton Rouge (BTR) 6:15p - 6:46p Monroe (MLU) 7:00p - 7:23p Greenville (GLH) 7:35p - 8:05p Memphis (MEM) 8:45p - 10.01p Chicago Midway (MDW)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service class: S
Meal service: None
Equip: DC9

In the spring of 1975, Southern was operating six flights every weekday into Greenville, all with the DC-9-10. The SO service consisted of three round trip flights a day operating routings of MSY-BTR-MLU-GLH-MEM, MSY-BTR-MLU-GLH-MEM-MDW, and MSY-BTR-MLU-GLH-MEM-ORD. Thus, Southern was serving both Chicago Midway and Chicago O'Hare at this time.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus # 5: It's 1995 and you are on the island of Anguilla in the Caribbean where you've been visiting with friends who own and operate a small boutique hotel located on beautiful Rendezvous Bay. Now it's time to get back to work and that means flying to Montreal on a Saturday in order to prepare on Sunday for a new business presentation on Monday morning in the nearby city of Saint-Gerome, Quebec. You will begin your trip on board a DHC-6 Twin Otter operated by Windward Islands Airways International (a.k.a. Winair) for the short 15 mile hop over to St. Maarten. From SXM, you will fly nonstop to your connecting city where you will then catch your third flight of the day which in turn operates nonstop to Montreal Dorval. Different airlines operating different aircraft types built by the same manufacturer will operate these flights and you'll have one hour and 45 minutes to make your second connection. Name both air carriers, the connecting airport and the respective equipment operated on each flight. The nonstop flight from SXM was operated with a B757-200 to BOS where a connection was made to a Delta B727-200. The flight from SXM was not operated by American, American Trans Air, TWA or North American or US Airways. Hint: the airline in question was a major air carrier.
Just one more to go here....and all we need is the identity of the operator of the B757-200 nonstop service from SXM to BOS....and now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 11, 2022 at 10:38 am Reason: answer update
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Just one more to go here....and all we need is the identity of the operator of the B757-200 nonstop service from SXM to BOS.
You know, I recall TWA operating some seemingly odd (to me, at least) flights from the Caribbean into Boston. And the 757 fits as well, especially since AA and ATA are out. Let's try TWA on this one...

BTW, greetings from Milwaukee where I'm positioned go board Amtrak's Empire Builder tomorrow across the Great Plains, Rocky Mountains and Cascades into the Emerald City

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 7, 2022 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
You know, I recall TWA operating some seemingly odd (to me, at least) flights from the Caribbean into Boston. And the 757 fits as well, especially since AA and ATA are out. Let's try TWA on this one...

BTW, greetings from Milwaukee where I'm positioned go board Amtrak's Empire Builder tomorrow across the Great Plains, Rocky Mountains and Cascades into the Emerald City
Bonus # 5: A great guess, sir! However, it wasn't Trans World Airlines....
Old Mar 8, 2022, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
CVG and CMH are correct, but SBN is incorrect. To keep the question moving, I'll rule out the most logical next guess for the first stop: although it was in Indiana, it wasn't at IND.

The route was ORD-???-CVG-CMH-TOL-DTW. The crash occurred in Marseilles, Ohio, about halfway between CMH and TOL.
Question is about a Lake Central Convair 580 that crash en route to Toledo.

New answer:
ORD - LAF, Perdue University Airport - CVG - CMH - TOL - DTW
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:34 am

Question is about a Lake Central Convair 580 that crash en route to Toledo.

New answer:
ORD - LAF, Perdue University Airport - CVG - CMH - TOL - DTW
Lafayette, Indiana is correct!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.