Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

27. (1995) As the leading paleontologist at the University of Montana in Missoula, you’ve been invited to participate in the inspection of a fascinating new bed of fossils discovered along BC’s west coast, just 50 miles north of Vancouver. The local travel agent has found you a convenient connection between MSO and YVR involving two nonstop flights aboard two different airlines, each operating a different equipment type. Can you unearth the usual triumvirate of details?

35. (MISC) Can you identify the highest and lowest airports in the U.S. that have had (past or present) commercial air service?
27. I think we are talking about a couple of twin engine jets here, both with T-tails (and so, we shall "high-tail" it from Missoula to Vancouver). First up, a Horizon Air F.28 Fellowship operating code sharing service for Alaska Airlines from MSO to GEG. We'll then connect to a Northwest DC-9-30 for the flight from GEG to YVR.

35. A very interesting question!

I believe the highest airfield ever served in the U.S. was Leadville in Colorado. In fact, I was driving by the Leadville Airport one fine summer day many years ago and actually saw a Twin Otter operated by Rocky Mountain Airways land at the airfield. Rocky Mountain was operating scheduled service with the DHC-6 between Denver and Leadville at the time and the Leadville Airport (LXV) has a field elevation of 9,934 feet above sea level. Talk about density altitude....

And the portion of this question concerning the lowest airport in the U.S. to ever receive scheduled passenger service really jogged my memory. I seem to recall that the Furnace Creek Airport which serves Death Valley in California actually had service provided by a commuter air carrier back in the day. So I will admit here that I found this service in a 1979 OAG as Furnace Creek (DTH) was being served by not one but two commuter airlines at this time with both carriers operating nonstop service between the airfield and Las Vegas. According to the OAG, the carriers were Air Nevada operating Cessna aircraft and Omni Airlines operating "MO2" equipment (which may have been a Mooney). The Furnace Creek Airport has a field elevation of 210 below sea level.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 12, 2021 at 10:37 am
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
40. (1989) Life in the hills around Roanoke, Virginia sure is pleasant but a recent radio contest offering a chance to spend a couple weeks in Hawaii simply can not be passed up. In order to win, all you have to do is figure out how to get from Roanoke to Honolulu on three airlines utilizing three different jets equipped with a total of eleven engines. If you’re only halfway mathematically proficient you should have no problem figuring out that your options are limited with regard to aircraft types. Oh - there is one more thing. You cannot fly through the state of California. So - there you have it? Are you game?

A four-engine jet out of ROA would have been a BAe 146 (United Express to Chicago/ORD, maybe Dulles/IAD; possibly Northwest to Detroit/DTW); a four-engine jet to HNL could have been a 747 (TWA from St. Louis/STL, Northwest from Seattle/SEA, or America West from either Phoenix/PHX or Las Vegas/LAS) or a DC-8-71 (United from Denver/DEN, maybe Portland/PDX). Let the guessing begin!

ROA-ORD UA 146
ORD-STL AA 72S
STL-HNL TW 747

Way to break it all down, J United Express did indeed get this trip started with a BAe-146. After that however, your supposition has to return to the gate. While a 747 is involved, it wasn't TWA's out of STL. The timing doesn't work as TWA's flight departs too early. American was involved in the correct answer but different aircraft and route. Please, carry on...

43. (1991) Next week you’ll be flying from Montreal to San Diego. A trip of this distance offers a great opportunity to check out some new airlines and different equipment types. Money is no object. Well now, you’ve found quite a nice deal involving three nonstop flights on three airlines, each of them operating a jet with a different number of engines. Your trip will involve one non-North American airline so you’ll be departing from Montreal’s Mirabel International Airport. Thankfully however, you’ll not have to route through New York City. Identify each of the three airlines and their respective aircraft as well as the route flown.

YMX to other than JFK was most likely a British Airways 747 to Detroit/DTW. I tend to think a Northwest tri-jet is fairly self-evident for the next leg; that could leave us in a number of places (Seattle/SEA, Portland/PDX, San Francisco/SFO, Los Angeles/LAX, Denver/DEN, Phoenix/PHX, probably a few others) and we have a number of twin-jet options to SAN from any of those points. Once again, let the guessing begin!

YMX-DTW BA 747
DTW-PHX NW 72S
PHX-SAN HP 733

The problem with this guess is that while BA did indeed operate a 747 YMX-DTW, it left too late in the day to make everything else work. So, clearly we're looking for a different routing, one that utilizes three different airlines and aircraft. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
44. What airline operated the first jet flight within South America? What was the route and equipment?

Varig, Rio de Janiero - Belem (and onward to JFK), Sud Caravelle

VARIG was certainly one of the earliest operators - just not THE earliest.

Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2021 at 2:31 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KT550
35. (MISC) Can you identify the highest and lowest airports in the U.S. that have had (past or present) commercial air service?

9069 ft, Telluride, CO
3ft, Key West, FL

Both pretty high and pretty low, but we're looking for even more extreme elevations in both cases.

Please, guess again!

42. (1992) If you wanted to fly into Birmingham, England on a scheduled flight aboard a widebody aircraft, you have to fly this airline from this location.

British Airways from Toronto YYZ with a B767-300. BHX opened their new "Eurohub" terminal in 1992 and BA launched a number of new routes.

As ever, I thought it a good idea to go back and double check the schedule (early 1992) used to reference this question. There were no nonstops YYZ-BHX and the widebody we're looking for was a different aircraft operated by a different airline over a different route.

Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2021 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
27. (1995) As the leading paleontologist at the University of Montana in Missoula, you’ve been invited to participate in the inspection of a fascinating new bed of fossils discovered along BC’s west coast, just 50 miles north of Vancouver. The local travel agent has found you a convenient connection between MSO and YVR involving two nonstop flights aboard two different airlines, each operating a different equipment type. Can you unearth the usual triumvirate of details?

I think we are talking about a couple of twin engine jets here, both with T-tails (and so, we shall "high-tail" it from Missoula to Vancouver). First up, a Horizon Air F.28 Fellowship operating code sharing service for Alaska Airlines from MSO to GEG. We'll then connect to a Northwest DC-9-30 for the flight from GEG to YVR.

Correct! I was fortunate to have logged quite a few flights aboard Horizon's F.28s. They were comfortable and - with their rear mounted engines - quiet. A great way to jet s around the Pacific Northwest (Along with Cascade's BAC-111s)

Alaska AS 2761 (Op. by Horizon) Missoula (MSO) 1005a-950a Spokane (GEG) F.28 Su only
Northwest NW 611 Spokane (GEG) 1125a-1231p Vancouver (YVR) DC-9-30 Daily

I believe the highest airfield ever served in the U.S. was Leadville in Colorado. The Leadville Airport (LXV) has a field elevation of 9,934 feet above sea level.

And the portion of this question concerning the lowest airport in the U.S. to ever receive scheduled passenger service, I seem to recall that the Furnace Creek Airport which serves Death Valley in California. I found this service at Furnace Creek (DTH) was being served by not one but two commuter airlines at this time with both carriers operating nonstop service between the airfield and Las Vegas. According to the OAG, the carriers were Air Nevada operating Cessna aircraft and Omni Airlines operating "MO2" equipment (which may have been a Mooney). The Furnace Creek Airport has a field elevation of 210 below sea level.

Correct! on both counts. I was unaware of the Commuter Airline flights serving DTH. Bonanza Airlines commenced service to Furnace Creek in 1953 back when the airport code there was FCK.

Leadville, CO ~ 9,933 ft (3028 m)
Death Valley (Furnace Creek) -210 ft (-64m)

Thought I'd add this First Flight cover representing Bonanza's 1953 service to Death Valley

https://holabirdamericana.liveauctio...lley_i23249195

The Apple Valley Airport (APV) was the last of the California airports I visited back in 1997. That is to say I either flew into or visited every airport with commercial airline service in the entire state of California (and Colorado) except for Vandenberg Air Force Base. The Apple Valley airport I visited opened in 1970 and was served by Hughes Airwest. There was an earlier and different airport at Apple Valley that was once served by Bonanza.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2021 at 3:37 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40- let’s try AA with a DC-10 to PHX, and thence the HP 747 to HNL

43- how about a Sabena DC-10 YMX-ORD, a United 767 ORD-LAS, and a USAir 146 LAS-SAN

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 12, 2021 at 3:16 pm Reason: guessing someone was having internet issues :p
Old Dec 12, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA
42. (1992) If you wanted to fly into Birmingham, England on a scheduled flight aboard a widebody aircraft, you have to fly this airline from this location.
Cyprus Airways, A310 operating Birmingham to Larnaca.

As ever, I thought it a good idea to go back and double check the schedule (early 1992) used to reference this question. There were no nonstops YYZ-BHX
There were, just not in the OAG. By 1992 the days of the Wardair 747 towering over everything at Birmingham had passed, but Air Transat, with Tristars, had filled the void several days a week. Must have been 25 years ago this week, December 1996, I actually flew with Royal Air on an A310 Birmingham to Toronto for Christmas, everything from LHR/LGW being either sold out or grossly overpriced.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 12, 2021 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
44. What airline operated the first jet flight within South America? What was the route and equipment?

Aerolineas Argentinas, deHavilland Comet, EZE-SCL
Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
43. (1991) Next week you’ll be flying from Montreal to San Diego. A trip of this distance offers a great opportunity to check out some new airlines and different equipment types. Money is no object. Well now, you’ve found quite a nice deal involving three nonstop flights on three airlines, each of them operating a jet with a different number of engines. Your trip will involve one non-North American airline so you’ll be departing from Montreal’s Mirabel International Airport. Thankfully however, you’ll not have to route through New York City. Identify each of the three airlines and their respective aircraft as well as the route flown.
I seem to remember an answer of a LH flight YMX-PHL a few weeks ago, and given LH's penchant for early returns to Europe, I'd put LH YMX-PHL 747-200. From PHL, how about a US 737-300 to DFW and and an AA 727-200 for DFW - SAN.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

40. (1989) Life in the hills around Roanoke, Virginia sure is pleasant but a recent radio contest offering a chance to spend a couple weeks in Hawaii simply can not be passed up. In order to win, all you have to do is figure out how to get from Roanoke to Honolulu on three airlines utilizing three different jets equipped with a total of eleven engines. If you’re only halfway mathematically proficient you should have no problem figuring out that your options are limited with regard to aircraft types. Oh - there is one more thing. You cannot fly through the state of California. So - there you have it? Are you game?

Let’s try AA with a DC-10 to PHX, and thence the HP 747 to HNL

AA with the DC10 is correct, as is HP with the 747. However, Phoenix is not. Given what we now know however, the answer is so glaringly obvious that calling for a tap in seems a bit ridiculous. Here's the itinerary -

United Express UA 3065 (Op. by Air Wisconsin) Roanoke (ROA) 1124a-1209p S Chicago (ORD) BAe-146 Daily
American AA 805 Chicago (ORD) 255p-433p S Las Vegas (LAS) DC-10 Daily
America West HP 70 Las Vegas (LAS) 540p-920p D Honolulu (HNL) 747-200 Daily

How about a Sabena DC-10 YMX-ORD, a United 767 ORD-LAS, and a USAir 146 LAS-SAN

Well, a DC-10 is part of the correct answer, as is United. Sabena, the 767 and 146, ORD and LAS are not.

Please, carry on...
P.S. You're right - Internet connectivity issues (which have plagued us of late) resulted in that quadruple post.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2021 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

Cyprus Airways, A310 operating Birmingham to Larnaca.

Spot on, Mr. M! Cyprus Airways it was.

Cyprus Airways CY 514 Paphos (PFC) 630p-915p Birmingham (BHX) A310-300 Tu only

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As ever, I thought it a good idea to go back and double check the schedule (early 1992) used to reference this question. There were no nonstops YYZ-BHX

There were, just not in the OAG. By 1992 the days of the Wardair 747 towering over everything at Birmingham had passed, but Air Transat, with Tristars, had filled the void several days a week. Must have been 25 years ago this week, December 1996, I actually flew with Royal Air on an A310 Birmingham to Toronto for Christmas, everything from LHR/LGW being either sold out or grossly overpriced.

Good additions, Mr. M.

I do want to reiterate that unless otherwise specified my questions and comments deal only with scheduled flights. When it comes to chartered or supplemental flights (Which means next to never for me), well, for one of my limited intellect, it's all I can do to spell supplemental correctly much less have a clue as to when and where they operated. That said, in the future I will try to do a better job of clarifying scheduled vis a vis chartered flights on relevant questions and comments that I may issue.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 12, 2021 at 9:05 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Aerolineas Argentinas, deHavilland Comet, EZE-SCL

That's more like it

https://www.worldhistory.biz/contemp...972-aa-is.html

https://www.henrytenby.com/aerolinea...photo-history/

https://wahsonline.com/first-generat...aft-postcards/
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

I seem to remember an answer of a LH flight YMX-PHL a few weeks ago, and given LH's penchant for early returns to Europe, I'd put LH YMX-PHL 747-200. From PHL, how about a US 737-300 to DFW and and an AA 727-200 for DFW - SAN.

Good recall there, YVR Lufthansa to PHL with the DC-10 is correct! However, AA and US along with the 727-200 and 737-300 via DFW are not. It'd be a good possibility though if LH ever did fly its 747 YMX-PHL.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
43- um, not clear about the LH flight — was it a 747 as YVR Cockroach guessed, or a D10 as you replied? in either case, given that you’ve declared UA to be part of the answer, I’ll offer the same second connecting point and final leg:
  • if a 747, UA D10 to LAX and Alaska 737-400 to SAN
  • if a D10, UA D8S to LAX and AS 734 to SAN
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not clear about the LH flight — was it a 747 as YVR Cockroach guessed, or a D10 as you replied? in either case, given that you’ve declared UA to be part of the answer, I’ll offer the same second connecting point and final leg:
  • if a 747, UA D10 to LAX and Alaska 737-400 to SAN
  • if a D10, UA D8S to LAX and AS 734 to SAN
Um... I replied that the DC-10 was correct. I did not reply that the 747 was correct. You be the judge.

United and its DC-8-71 is correct.

LAX, AS and the 737-400 are not correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.