Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
14. For those flying the only nonstop between Birmingham and Orlando, both the airline and the aircraft it operated were surprising. Identify both.

Well, I was tempted to say Florida Express with BAC One-Eleven service. However.... I believe by May 15, 1988, Florida Express had been acquired by the second version of Braniff. So perhaps Braniff II was flying BHM-MCO nonstop with the BAC One-Eleven. And the service may have actually been operated by "Braniff Express".....

jlemon, you da man! It was indeed Braniff. Had you flown on this flight, you might have flown aboard a BAC-111 that started out with Braniff, went on to serve Allegheny and Florida Express before returning to Braniff II.

16. This airline operated Convair 580s between Phoenix and San Diego

Here's a wild guess: American Eagle

The schedule sez Resort Commuter Airlines, airline code XK, but as to it's affiliation with American, I'm a bit confused. Below is a link to an LA Times article that claims the airline was acquired by American in 1987 but operated on behalf of Pan Am Commuter for its final two years, culminating in bankruptcy in 1989...

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-11-...rican-airlines
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are a couple of photos related to the old K or Economy Class service. As WHBM has noted, the fares were often associated with Hawaii flights but they were widely offered out of Denver by UA, CO and WA. I don't recall ever seeing them offered on RW, SO, NC, OZ, TI etc. Back in the pre-deregulation days, you didn't see the alphabet soup of fare types that are offered today. For the average traveler, it was F,Y, K. There were Military fares and I even recall seeing Z denoting a stand-by fare in some markets.

Seattle to Denver schedule from 1970 OAG

Continental Ad featuring 5 across seating in Coach and Economy Classes
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Hey Seat 2A!

It appears the LA Times article you refer to actually says that American acquired AirCal which means that Resort Commuter Airlines was not purchased by AA....

At least, that's the way I read it, which means my answer was incorrect (sound of a loud and obnoxious buzzer followed by the oldtimer contestant being ignominiously pulled offstage by a large hook).....
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's ME being pulled off stage for misreading that article. I've tried to find a picture of a 580 (or any Convair) in Resort Commuter livery but so far to no avail. I know American Eagle did operate some Convairs - in Texas? Also, was there any affiliation with Aspen on its California routes?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA
The Resort Commuter Convair 580s were

N5810, N5812, N90857 leased from a dealer mid- to end- 1988

http://www.airlinefan.com/airline-ph.../CV-580/N5810/

(scroll down)

then N73301 leased from Sierra Pacific throughout 1989

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
That's ME being pulled off stage for misreading that article. I've tried to find a picture of a 580 (or any Convair) in Resort Commuter livery but so far to no avail. I know American Eagle did operate some Convairs - in Texas? Also, was there any affiliation with Aspen on its California routes?
I believe that the only American Eagle carrier to operate Convair 580s was Metro Airlines (originally Houston Metro Airlines). In 1982, Metro purchased 14 580s from FL and placed them in service under American Eagle. Metro failed in 1993 and their assetts were purchased by AMR Corporation and the birds continued to fly as American Eagle.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelaware
19. There were two intrastate flights operated with 747s. What were the routes and the airline that operated them?

QF lax-sfo?

Although there were a couple of foreign carriers that operated between U.S. cities, none of them were allowed to carry passengers except perhaps passengers ticketed on that airline to a destination beyond U.S. borders and making an enroute stopover. Many schedules reflect this with the term "Conditional Stopover Traffic".

In this case, the answer I'm looking for would involve U.S. airlines
One of the U.S. carriers, I believe, was PA. The 747 route was SFO-LAX. The PA 747 that I was flying on, originated in LHR, then flew via polar route to the west coast. The scheduled route was LHR-SFO-LAX, but we were in a 747-100 with limited range and we encountered headwinds flying westbound so we had to make an extra refueling stop in SEA, then continue onto SFO and then finally to LAX. This flight accepted "Conditional Stopover Traffic" between SFO to LAX.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: BA
I believe that the only American Eagle carrier to operate Convair 580s was Metro Airlines (originally Houston Metro Airlines).
There was also an operation based at San Jose, California, in the late 1980s, where the Convairs were operated by Sierra Pacific Airlines. I rode one from Burbank to SJC and return in 1988. It's described in a quiz question at post #805 above.

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
The PA 747 that I was flying on, originated in LHR, then flew via polar route to the west coast. The scheduled route was LHR-SFO-LAX, but we were in a 747-100 with limited range and we encountered headwinds flying westbound so we had to make an extra refueling stop in SEA, then continue onto SFO
Both Pan Am and TWA operated the 747-100 from London to SFO/LAX, but British Airways refused to do so, feeling they were beyond the aircraft's reliable nonstop range. The midday departures in the 1970s-80s of the two US airlines' California-bound flights at MTOW, bearing in mind the reliability of he old JT9D engines, were regarded with some concern by Heathrow ATC, especially on hot days when operations were easterly, heading out initially over the city. One, barely-climbing, was described as leaving "by the Piccadilly Line" (the London Underground Heathrow line which runs this way), while a Pan Am one, likewise inspecting the gardens closely, was referred to over the radio as a "Hedge Clipper". I wonder if the PA crew got the joke.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:08 am
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
WHBM,
Thank you for your fine history of polar route 747s flying out of LHR. I absolutely remember the PA 747 that I was on taking off from LHR was just like you said, the "Hedge Clipper".

I remember we "flew dirty" for many minutes after take-off. In other words, the flaps were at 20 degrees long after take-off from LHR, as we slowly gained altitude. Ah, what memories...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
There was also an operation based at San Jose, California, in the late 1980s, where the Convairs were operated by Sierra Pacific Airlines. I rode one from Burbank to SJC and return in 1988. It's described in a quiz question at post #805 above.
Indeed, I remember seeing an American Eagle Convair 580 at Burbank. This was back when AA was operating a hub at San Jose.....
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, was there any affiliation with Aspen on its California routes?
With regard to a possible affiliation between Aspen and AA in California, I do not recall this. I believe that Aspen operated independently in California and the primary reason was service to Lake Tahoe (TVL) which was accomplished with Convair 580 equipment. Aspen also flew LAX-Bakersfield (BFL) with a CV-580 at one point and even flew between LAX and BUR as an extension of the TVL service.

I also do not think that Aspen ever operated the BAe 146 into TVL......
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that the only American Eagle carrier to operate Convair 580s was Metro Airlines (originally Houston Metro Airlines). In 1982, Metro purchased 14 580s from FL and placed them in service under American Eagle. Metro failed in 1993 and their assetts were purchased by AMR Corporation and the birds continued to fly as American Eagle.
I believe the Metroflight division of Metro actually operated the Convair 580 aircraft as American Eagle. Metro originally set up Metroflight to operate de Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otter equipment with routes from DFW and OKC to various small cities in north Texas and Oklahoma. The Metroflight operation complimented the Houston Metro/Metro Twin Otter operation in southeast Texas. Metro also began operating Short 330 aircraft on such routes as IAH-BPT, IAH-LCH and IAH-LFT.

During my high school years, we lived in the Clear Lake area near the NASA Johnson Space Center. I followed Houston Metro/Metro/Metroflight operation quite closely and flew on the Houston Metro/Metro Twin Otter shuttle service a number of times between the Clear Lake City STOLport (CLC) and IAH. And as I previously mentioned awhile back, at one point Metro was operating up to 22 roundtrip flights per day with the Twin Otter between CLC and IAH according to the OAG at the time....
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
One of the U.S. carriers, I believe, was PA. The 747 route was SFO-LAX. The PA 747 that I was flying on, originated in LHR, then flew via polar route to the west coast. The scheduled route was LHR-SFO-LAX, but we were in a 747-100 with limited range and we encountered headwinds flying westbound so we had to make an extra refueling stop in SEA, then continue onto SFO and then finally to LAX. This flight accepted "Conditional Stopover Traffic" between SFO to LAX.
Tony, SFO-LAX was indeed one of the routes. Remember, by 1988 we were ten years into deregulation so Pan Am was able to carry local traffic on this route. My first ever flight aboard a 747SP came aboard Pan Am in 1979. I bought a standby fare for $13.00 and off we went.

That leaves just one more intra-state route...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5. This airline’s first flights were with 737-200s between Washington Dulles and Boston in 1985.
Presidential Airways. This new start-up was headed by Harold "Hap" Pareti who had been with PEOPLExpress.

Presidential went on to fly BAe 146-200, BAe Jetstream 31 and 32, Beechcraft 1900C and de Havilland Canada DHC-8-300 aircraft. At one point, it operated codeshare feeder services for Continental and United.

And another new entrant bit the dust......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 21, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Presidential Airways. This new start-up was headed by Harold "Hap" Pareti who had been with PEOPLExpress.

Presidential went on to fly BAe 146-200, BAe Jetstream 31 and 32, Beechcraft 1900C and de Havilland Canada DHC-8-300 aircraft. At one point, it operated codeshare feeder services for Continental and United.

And another new entrant bit the dust......
jlemon, your answer's got my vote.

I was once booked on a Presidential Airways flight but my inbound flight on a different airline was late and I midded my chance. Another late flight caused me to miss my chance to fly an Arrow Air DC-8 in the mid-eighties.

Speaking of flights aboard secondary airlines that I did manage to successfully connect to, here's a bonus question:

Back in the fall of 1984 I did a combination plane and train trip that involved flights aboard six airlines I'd never flown before. I'll supply you with the city pairs and see if you can fill in the blanks as to the airline and aircraft flown. Remember, none of the airlines involved were majors, and only one of them is still flying today.

After flying from Los Angeles into Phoenix aboard an America West 737-130, I made my way north to Las Vegas where we'll begin the question:

19 SEP Las Vegas to Ontario ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
25 SEP Seattle to Pasco ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________ (Hint: I flew on a prop)
25 SEP Pasco to Seattle ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________ (Hint: The leased jet involved was on short term lease.)
07 OCT Miami to St. Petersburg ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
07 OCT St. Petersburg to Orlando ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________
18 OCT St. Louis to Kansas City ~ Airline:_____________________ Aircraft:____________________

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 21, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.