Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
6. Everyone knows AA, NW, PA, UA & TW flew the 747. Name five other non-cargo US airlines that also did

It took me a moment to figure out how far back this question went. And of course, you've done a far more thorough job of answering it, Indelaware. Thank you.

When I first submitted the original list of questions way back in post 1, I did so thinking that the level of interest in such things at a site like FlyerTalk would be - for the most part - casual at best. As such, I felt those questions might bear some potential to challenge. As for answers, as with the above question, I expected it might have been challenging for the casual flyer to come up with just five more operators even though - as you've clearly shown - there were many more.

Given that FlyerTalk now boasts over 400000 members and this thread only attracts a handful of participants (can't speak for the number of lurkers) I'd say that my original assessment may well be true. However, amongst the few that do participate regularly at this thread, there is an impressive wealth of knowledge from which we all benefit and enjoy.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 17, 2013 at 11:15 am
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
13. These two airlines offered the only nonstop service between Kansas City and Las Vegas

Originally Posted by miniliq
Braniff was one. I believe the other was either Eastern (Flight 1 with a 757), which dropped that service around that time, or Air West.
Correct you are, miniliq. Historically this was TWA country but in May of 1988 at least, EA and BN slugged it out on a lot of routes out of MCI. Both airlines operated mini-hubs from there while TWA had moved most of its regional focus across the state to STL. I don't believe Air West ever served MCI - especially out of LAS - though America West may well have at a later date.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: BA
S2A, thank you for the comments. Hope people don't mind if I write more as a feuilltonist than a factual question answerer.

Just to add, I linked above to a Google Streetview of the location of the onetime National Airlines city ticket office in London. Now if you open that up but then swivel 180 degrees to the building directly opposite you will see a blue historical building plaque on there. Because in here, this is where Rolls-Royce started off.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/a...charles-rolls/

Now we've mentioned a few aircraft engines in the thread here over time (hopefully not too often ), probably none more so than Rolls-Royce, but I just wonder if the National Airlines team realised the significance of the building facing them. Probably not; I don't think National ever bought a Rolls-engined aircraft, which I think puts them very much in the minority of the traditional US airlines.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:10 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;20430610][COLOR=3. Texas International Airlines introduced low cost “Peanuts Fares”. What airline introduced $59.00 “No Peanuts Fares”?

11. What is the only all-jet airline to be based out of Fresno, California? What type of jet did they operate?

20. What two airlines operated Lockheed L-1011s between Honolulu and San Francisco?

[/quote]

3. Midway Airlines, the first one -- ML.

But what animal did TI bring to public square in CLE for their "nuts to you, US Air" rally?

11. Alligent, before they moved to LAS.

20. DL & HA
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Hope people don't mind if I write more as a feuilltonist than a factual question answerer.
Not at all as anyone with an affinity for these things couldn't help but appreciate the history and the detail you provide. So - at the risk of adding a new phrase to the Anglo-Saxon vernacular ~ Feuillton on!

I don't think National ever bought a Rolls-engined aircraft, which I think puts them very much in the minority of the traditional US airlines.
Hmm... This got me to wondering how many "National Airlines" we've had here in America. There was the above referenced National Airlines (NA) which I've always thought of as the original. There was a second version that operated from 1977 to 1986 with (I think) a single 747. The third version (N7), based out of Las Vegas, did operate some Rolls Royce powered ex-BA 757-236s and flew from 1999 to 2002. Then there is the current National Airlines (N8) based out of Ypsilanti, Michigan which operates cargo and passenger charter services with a small fleet of 747s and 757s. I've seen pictures of one of the 757s sporting the RR engine cowlings, though all of the 747s appear to be GE or P&W powered.

Finally, I've heard there was a National Airways that operated from 1931 to 1940 before being acquired by Boston-Maine Airlines. I haven't seen much in the way of history on that airline though.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 17, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
3. Texas International Airlines introduced low cost “Peanuts Fares”. What airline introduced $59.00 “No Peanuts Fares”?

3. Midway Airlines, the first one -- ML.

Correct! Launched just prior to the summer travel season in 1994, The $59 "No-Peanuts Fares" were good on every seat on every nonstop flight on Midway Airlines. According to an article in the Chicago Tribune, Midway reasoned that by eliminating free peanuts on its flights, which cost it about 13 cents a bag, it would save about $14,000 per year.

Buying all those peanuts in bulk, 13¢ a bag sounds a bit high to me. The packaging must have been elaborate!

"But what animal did TI bring to public square in CLE for their "nuts to you, US Air" rally?"

I believe they brought cheerleaders and an elephant. Those were fun times to travel. I remember when TI inaugurated nostop service between Denver and Dallas with $59.00 fares. However, over the first three days of the service if you brought one of 59 different items designated in a full page newspaper ad - things like a picture of yourself in a 1959 yearbook or a 59 word poem about flying TI, etc. - you could fly for just 59¢.

11. What is the only all-jet airline to be based out of Fresno, California? What type of jet did they operate?

Allegiant, before they moved to LAS.

You know, you're right and I stand corrected. I always thought of Allegiant as a Nevada based airline but their original hub was indeed out of FAT. Good call!

There was another airline as well that based out of Fresno - the one I was thinking of when I came up with this question. So, while you are indeed correct, I will leave this question out there a while longer...

20. What two airlines operated Lockheed L-1011s between Honolulu and San Francisco?

DL & HA

Hawaiian Air is correct. While Delta would seem the logical choice for the other carrier, in the 1988 OAG I referenced for this question they were still using the DC-10s (out of SFO) that they acquired from the merger with Western. DL did operate an L-1011 into HNL out of LAX as well as L-1011-500s on nonstops out of DFW and ATL.

So - one more airline to come up with on this question...
By the way, welcome to the thread!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 17, 2013 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Bonus question: After Continental revamped the upper deck of its 747s with ten rather than 3 windows, the Diamond Head Lounge was renamed the __________ Lounge.

My only guess is when CO revamped the upper deck of the 747, the Diamond Head Lounge became the Kamehameha Lounge. I stand to be corrected on this as well but that is what comes to mind.
You're close, Tony. As you know, Continental not only named the lounges on its 747 but also the passenger cabins. The First Class cabin was known as the Kamehameha Room while the two Coach cabins were called the Kabuki and Bougainville Rooms. The third Economy Class cabin - located at the rear of the aircraft - was known as Micronesia Room.

As configured, Continental's 747-124s had the lowest seating capacity of any 747 of their era with just 290 seats. Most U.S. airlines offered closer to 350 seats at the time. But who's counting? Back in the early 1970s, many 747s were flying only half full - or less - so the lounges were an affordable luxury for the airlines.

The renamed upstairs lounge however had a different and as yet unanswered name. I'll leave the question out there for now and will post a beautiful two page spread of Continental's 747 with the answer shortly.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
10. Who walked away from the appliance company founded by his grandfather to become the owner and president of a large regional airline and later a major U.S. airline? What were the airlines?
Hmm... This got me to wondering how many "National Airlines" we've had here in America. There was the above referenced National Airlines (NA) which I've always thought of as the original. There was a second version that operated from 1977 to 1986 with (I think) a single 747. The third version (N7), based out of Las Vegas, did operate some Rolls Royce powered ex-BA 757-236s and flew from 1999 to 2002. Then there is the current National Airlines (N8) based out of Ypsilanti, Michigan which operates cargo and passenger charter services with a small fleet of 747s and 757s. I've seen pictures of one of the 757s sporting the RR engine cowlings, though all of the 747s appear to be GE or P&W powered.

Finally, I've heard there was a National Airways that operated from 1931 to 1940 before being acquired by Boston-Maine Airlines. I haven't seen much in the way of history on that airline though.
When I was a kid, I was such a transportation geek. I would collect airline timetables when I was growing up in Hawaii. One of my prize timetables at the time that I was collecting was National Airlines, perhaps because no one knew of National Airlines if one grew up in Hawaii. One of the things that stood out in the NA timetables that I collected was the president of NA, who happened to be a MAYTAG.

At that time I always thought, "Why would a president of an airline be a washing machine?" So the history of Mr. Maytag, to answer Mr. Seat 2A's question 10, was that LB Maytag was president of the first Frontier Airlines of Denver, Colorado, when Maytag bought it in 1955. Then LB Maytag sold Frontier Airlines in 1962 and then bought out controlling shares of (NA) National Airlines in 1962, thus becoming their new CEO in the same year. Under his regime, NA quickly became one of the first all-jet airlines in US.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
10. Who walked away from the appliance company founded by his grandfather to become the owner and president of a large regional airline and later a major U.S. airline? What were the airlines?

When I was a kid, I was such a transportation geek. I would collect airline timetables when I was growing up in Hawaii. One of my prize timetables at the time that I was collecting was National Airlines, perhaps because no one knew of National Airlines if one grew up in Hawaii. One of the things that stood out in the NA timetables that I collected was the president of NA, who happened to be a MAYTAG.

At that time I always thought, "Why would a president of an airline be a washing machine?" So the history of Mr. Maytag, to answer Mr. Seat 2A's question 10, was that LB Maytag was president of the first Frontier Airlines of Denver, Colorado, when Maytag bought it in 1955. Then LB Maytag sold Frontier Airlines in 1962 and then bought out controlling shares of (NA) National Airlines in 1962, thus becoming their new CEO in the same year. Under his regime, NA quickly became one of the first all-jet airlines in US.
Tony, you are 100% correct! Lewis "Bud" Maytag was only 32 years old when he bought a controlling interest in Frontier in 1958. That would make him the youngest CEO of a major airline when he purchased National four years later. There are some nice memories of Mr. Maytag posted HERE at this Frontier Airlines historical site.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:12 pm

Lets not forget National Air Transport founded 1925 which became part of Boeing and then UA and National Commuter Airlines in Florida, no relation to NA, which flew for Air Florida.

"But what animal did TI bring to public square in CLE for their "nuts to you, US Air" rally?"

"I believe they brought cheerleaders and an elephant. Those were fun times to travel. I remember when TI inaugurated nostop service between Denver and Dallas with $59.00 fares. However, over the first three days of the service if you brought one of 59 different items designated in a full page newspaper ad - things like a picture of yourself in a 1959 yearbook or a 59 word poem about flying TI, etc. - you could fly for just 59¢."

Correct. Because of the elephant stunt, I flat out refused to fly TI or any Lorenzo airline.

"Allegiant, before they moved to LAS.

You know, you're right and I stand corrected. I always thought of Allegiant as a Nevada based airline but their original hub was indeed out of FAT. Good call!

There was another airline as well that based out of Fresno - the one I was thinking of when I came up with this question. So, while you are indeed correct, I will leave this question out there a while longer..."

Air 21, but they didn't last long at all.

DL & HA

Hawaiian Air is correct. While Delta would seem the logical choice for the other carrier, in the 1988 OAG I referenced for this question they were still using the DC-10s (out of SFO) that they acquired from the merger with Western. DL did operate an L-1011 into HNL out of LAX as well as L-1011-500s on nonstops out of DFW and ATL.

So - one more airline to come up with on this question...

Ok, my next guess would be EA (or was that ex-LAX) or perhaps PA with one of the former NA birds.

And for a question of my own: What fifth freedom routes has UA (including CO and other preceeders) flown? I count at least 15?

Last edited by Indelaware; Mar 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:22 pm

And now for a bonus question: After Continental revamped the upper deck of its 747s with ten rather than 3 windows, the Diamond Head Lounge was renamed the __________ Lounge.
OCEANIA
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Tony, you are 100% correct! Lewis "Bud" Maytag was only 32 years old when he bought a controlling interest in Frontier in 1958. That would make him the youngest CEO of a major airline when he purchased National four years later. There are some nice memories of Mr. Maytag posted HERE at this Frontier Airlines historical site.
Thank you, Seat 2A, for the link to the Frontier Airlines historical site about Mr. Maytag. Yes, he had a rather meteoric and fascinating history.

I think you have some posts above, waiting for you to chime in.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indelaware, you are indeed correct regarding Air21. They operated an all F28 fleet out of Fresno from 1995 into 1997.

As to the L-1011s between Honolulu and San Francisco, it wasn't Eastern or TWA. So far as I know, Eastern never spread its wings to Hawaii. No - the airline I'm looking for operated an all Economy Class configured L-1011 on Fridays and Sundays only SFO-HNL. On Tuesdays and Saturdays it operated SFO-OGG-HNL.

Mr. Roboto, you are indeed correct! Continental renamed its 747 First Class lounge the "Oceania Lounge".

Continental's 747
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Add Global International to 747 TATL.
SFO-HNL L-1011: Total Air.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
17. You want to fly First Class aboard a 747 nonstop between Toronto and Seattle. What airline do you call?
I'd call Thai International (TG) -- and perhaps stay onboard to NRT and BKK. TG's ads proclaimed the only direct service from YYZ to BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.