Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated. Not a NW 727 via MSP, not a TW 72S via STL

Let's presume this is after 5 August, which is when USAir's acquisition of Piedmont took effect (I was on the last PI departure, a 767-200 operating the LAX-BWI redeye on 4 Aug) ... a 737-400 via the Dayton/DAY hub that US inherited in the merger

Edging ever closer, J... The only part of your above response that bears relevance to the correct answer is the inclusion of a 737. That is to say a variant of the 737 other than the -400 is included in the correct answer. Otherwise, we're looking for a different airline and routing.

Please, carry on!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
a 737-400 via the Dayton/DAY hub that US inherited in the (Piedmont) merger
... The only part of your above response that bears relevance to the correct answer is the inclusion of a 737. That is to say a variant of the 737 other than the -400 is included in the correct answer. Otherwise, we're looking for a different airline and routing.
B029- well, given the basic parameter of the question and the fact that both the 727 and 72S had already been eliminated, this isn't entirely surprising

how about Continental with a -300 via Houston/IAH
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
if I remember LAX ~1990, MGM Grand operated out of the West Imperial terminal on the south side of Runway 25L.
I don’t recall whether they offered an airside shuttle service from Terminals 1-8, or if passengers transferring from other airlines were on their own to get to the MG facilities
I'd like to think that MGM would have made provisions to get connecting passengers to their terminal. But what do I know? If they didn't, it would be a short taxi ride away.

In 1980 I flew upon a World Airways DC-10-30 LAX-OAK and we departed from the West Imperial Terminal. It was cool to climb the long stairway up into the DC-10. Once inside however, we were subjected to the tightest seating I have ever experienced on a US airline. 10 across and about 29" pitch - maybe less...
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated. We're looking for a 737 operator, but not via MSP, STL or DAY

Well, given the basic parameter of the question and the fact that both the 727 and 72S had already been eliminated, this isn't entirely surprising. how about Continental with a -300 via Houston/IAH

An excellent guess - all things considered. Through the process of elimination, we now know that it's not a 737-300. Nor is it Continental and Houston was not the enroute stop.

I sense success is just around the corner...
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

B021. (1995) You’ve just picked up your tickets and itinerary for your upcoming trip from Culiacan, Mexico to Atlanta, Georgia to watch your brother and the Mexican National Soccer (Futbol) Team play an exhibition match against Team USA. Upon looking over the itinerary, you’ve discovered that you’ll be flying two flights on two airlines making a single connection. Additionally, you’ll be flying aboard two different aircraft, both manufactured by the same company. One of them is the smallest commercial jet manufactured by that company while the other is the largest. Identify the two airlines you’ll be flying, the connecting city and the two aircraft types.

B025. (1990) If you want to fly First Class between San Francisco and Mexico City, you’ve got only two choices. The first flight – a nonstop – is not available. The second flight, leaving just a half hour later, is a one-stop direct flight and it does have First Class available. Oh yeah! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type. If you feel up to it, you may also identify the airline offering nonstop service.
A N S W E R E D

B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated.
A N S W E R E D

NOTE: I will return this afternoon (Aug 27th) at about 5:00pm ADT (-9 GMT) to resume addressing any responses you may submit.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 28, 2021 at 11:04 am
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
B029- my remaining guess for a roundabout(ish) routing was America West via Phoenix/PHX; however, the just-eliminated -300 is far more plausible for that, so I suspect we're down to the Friendly Skies of United as the -200 operator here

I have to presume that the likelihood of a Guppy on one of UA's busiest hub-to-hub routes was extremely small, so I suspect this flight was a one-off tag to a small- to medium-size midwestern city ... which means there are at least half a dozen candidates, which means < drumroll > it's time for the annoying only-one-at-a-time guessing game

just because I can't recall UA ever operating from there to DEN doesn't mean they never did ... first guess is Madison/MSN
Old Aug 27, 2021, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated.
It's a 737, but not a -300 or -400. The enroute stop is not MSP, STL, DAY or IAH

My remaining guess for a roundabout(ish) routing was America West via Phoenix/PHX; however, the just-eliminated -300 is far more plausible for that, so I suspect we're down to the Friendly Skies of United as the -200 operator here (operating via MSN)

Well now, you've correctly identified the 737-200 as the aircraft of record here, so good on ya for that, Mon. Other'n that, we be lookin' for an airline different than United. Additionally, this flight did not operate via MSN but rather through a significantly larger airport. Go get 'em, J! Clearly, nobody else is willing or able to answer this question. You're the only one. You have to do it!
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

It's a 737-200. The enroute stop is not MSP, STL, DAY, MSN or IAH. Nor is it NAS
B029. Wild guess time....Midway via a stop at MDW.

And now back to sand bag inventory while we intently watch the Caribbean Sea near Grand Cayman as a tropical storm named Ida is now forecast to develop into a major category three hurricane after it moves over the Gulf of Mexico and then heads toward Louisiana later this weekend.....
Old Aug 27, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
It's a 737-200. The enroute stop is not MSP, STL, DAY, MSN or IAH. Nor is it NAS

Wild guess time....Midway via a stop at MDW.

Hats off to jlemon for giving this a solid try. But I have to ask - did Midway Airlines ever serve Milwaukee? Perhaps the second RDU based version did, but so far as I know the original one never did. Perhaps through Midway Connection? But then that would have necessitated a change of aircraft along the way and this was a one-stop thru-flight.

So then, it's not Midway nor Midway Airport - but it's still a 737-200.

Please, guess again!

BTW, hats back on to jlemon in the hope that he, his friends and family stay well and relatively dry in the coming week as a potential hurricane is headed their way.

On the weather front up here at Latitude 65°N, heavy rains and problems related to ongoing climate change have resulted in the closure of the Park Road at mile 42 - which now leaves the best part of the park inaccessible through the remainder of the season. Adding insult to injury, this morning sleet and snow have forced closure of the park road at NPS Headquarters at mile 3. Watch now - next week we'll probably get a couple of 70°F days!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...laska-79629315

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 27, 2021 at 11:56 am
Old Aug 27, 2021, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B029 (1990)- we already ruled Continental out, Braniff II folded in late 1989, MarkAir hadn't yet expanded beyond SEA, Vanguard didn't come into existence until ~1995 ... Delta backtracking thru Cincinnati perhaps
Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Per Seat 2A....."But I have to ask - did Midway Airlines ever serve Milwaukee?"

Answer: Yes they did. As some may recall, I posed a quiz question awhile back concerning a direct one stop flight operated by Midway in 1990 with an MD-87 from MKE to LAX via MDW. I also believe they operated B737-200 and DC9-30 service between Milwaukee and Midway Airport at one point with Midway Connection service being operated as well with turboprop equipment back around this time.

Meantime, Ida is now a category one hurricane as the storm prepares to move over western Cuba as it heads northwest towards the Gulf of Mexico. Our National Hurricane Center (NHC) continues to predict that Ida will become a major category three hurricane (or perhaps even stronger) before making landfall this Sunday evening most likely in southern or southeast Louisiana. At the present time, it appears Ida will pass east of Lafayette, perhaps rolling right over Baton Rouge. And if that indeed happens, we probably won't see a major flooding event in the LFT area....but we may then see a very high wind event here with gusts in excess of 100 mph.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

B029 (1990)- we already ruled Continental out, Braniff II folded in late 1989, MarkAir hadn't yet expanded beyond SEA, Vanguard didn't come into existence until ~1995 ... Delta backtracking thru Cincinnati perhaps
The correct date for this question is 1989, i.e.

Since the date for this question has always been 1989, how on earth did you ever get 1990? (assuming you clicked and dragged)
Old Aug 28, 2021, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B025. (1990) If you want to fly First Class between San Francisco and Mexico City, you’ve got only two choices. The first flight – a nonstop – is not available. The second flight, leaving just a half hour later, is a one-stop direct flight and it does have First Class available. Oh yeah! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type. If you feel up to it, you may also identify the airline offering nonstop service.
B025. This sounds like Pan Am operating a B727-200 via a stop at LAX.

Concerning the nonstop service, my first thought was Mexicana....but there's only one problem here as MX did not offer first class, only coach. So for the nonstop offering first, let's go with the airline of the Friendly Skies: United operating a B757-200.

And here comes Hurricane Ida which is now forecast to possibly have sustained winds of 140 mph in the eyewall before making landfall as a category 4 storm on the coast of Louisiana. We just might dodge a bullet here in LFT with regard to the worst of Ida as the storm is still forecast to make landfall just far enough to the east of us that we will not experience catastrophic wind and water damage here. It all depends on exactly where Ida makes landfall. So we are not quite out of the woods yet but there is reason for optimism, at least here in Lafayette.

We continue to hope and pray for the best for everyone here in southern Louisiana.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B029- I have no explanation for mis-dating my last attempt, so given the correction I will offer Braniff II via their Kansas City (MCI) hub
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

This sounds like Pan Am operating a B727-200 via a stop at LAX. Concerning the nonstop service, my first thought was Mexicana....but there's only one problem here as MX did not offer first class, only coach. So for the nonstop offering first, let's go with the airline of the Friendly Skies: United operating a B757-200.

Pan Am is correct! As is United, although I don't have the relevant OAG down here in Denali so I can't speak as to UA's choice of aircraft. What - did you write the OAG? Here's the itinerary -

Pan Am PA 481 San Francisco (SFO) 230p-346p Los Angeles (LAX) 450p-955p D Mexico City (MEX) 727-200 Daily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.