Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Aug 23, 21, 11:45 am
  #23761  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
... With the clues and my correct reading of one, here’s the next try.

RIC GSO CO EM2
GSO GSP CO EM2
GSP MEM NW SF3
MEM ICT NW SF3
ICT DFW DL EM2
DFW LBB AA SF3
5B-

all CORRECT* with the exception of LBB

* - in referring back to my source OAG, LBB would in fact have worked for this itinerary; however, the SF340 was not the aircraft of record on that segment ... bonus points for the type, as well as for identifying another airline operating a flight ~40 min later with the same type

I flew ICT-DFW 3x on DL EM2s (Dec 94, Dec 95, Mar 96) and once on the other type (Mar 95)

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 23, 21 at 11:57 am
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 1:45 pm
  #23762  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
5B-

all CORRECT* with the exception of LBB

* - in referring back to my source OAG, LBB would in fact have worked for this itinerary; however, the SF340 was not the aircraft of record on that segment ... bonus points for the type, as well as for identifying another airline operating a flight ~40 min later with the same type

I flew ICT-DFW 3x on DL EM2s (Dec 94, Dec 95, Mar 96) and once on the other type (Mar 95)
I kept getting stuck in ORD or MEM being the fifth stop until I realized that DFW would work.

Next guess for the last stop is MAF.
Bluehen1 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 2:11 pm
  #23763  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
I kept getting stuck in ORD or MEM being the fifth stop until I realized that DFW would work.

Next guess for the last stop is MAF.
MAF is incorrect*

*- again, there is an AA flight from DFW on a different type, but the flight on the subsequent leg had a very-likely-unbookable 20-min connection to continue the trip
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 4:36 pm
  #23764  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
B024 (1990).
  • SAN-LAX American (ex-AirCal) BAe 146
  • LAX-JFK MGM Grand DC-8-62
  • JFK-YMX CSA IL-62
... everything correct except for the operator of the first flight. It was not American. Given that LAX saw a number of 146 operators over the years, I wonder who it could have been? ...
B024- well, the only other 146 operators in the southwest that I can recall are Royal West and TriStar, but I don't think either was extant in 1990

so I'm gonna toss a really random wild-something guess out there and offer United Express carrier Air Wisconsin ... the SAN-LAX route may have been a continuation of the former Aspen Airways service between LAX and ASE
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 6:47 pm
  #23765  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
MAF is incorrect*

*- again, there is an AA flight from DFW on a different type, but the flight on the subsequent leg had a very-likely-unbookable 20-min connection to continue the trip
Trying everything in a radius from DFW. Next stop is LRD.
Bluehen1 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 8:21 pm
  #23766  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
Trying everything in a radius from DFW. Next stop is LRD.


I suggest you look at the original post, particularly the day-by-day description of the trip therein

LRD is incorrect
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 8:51 pm
  #23767  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Posts: 11,235
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
B024. (1990) How exciting! Youre off to learn how to become an even better chef at the famous Institut de tourisme et d'hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal. Meanwhile, as an avid aviation aficionado youve also taken advantage of this cross country journey to put together a fabulous itinerary from San Diego to Montreal utilizing three different airlines each of them flying a four engine jet with each jet having been built by a different manufacturer. And theres an added twist. Each of the jets are narrow-bodied. So then can you identify the three airlines, the route flown and the three different aircraft types? Were all counting on you!

Well, the only other 146 operators in the southwest that I can recall are Royal West and TriStar, but I don't think either was extant in 1990, so I'm gonna toss a really random wild-something guess out there and offer United Express carrier Air Wisconsin ... the SAN-LAX route may have been a continuation of the former Aspen Airways service between LAX and ASE

Good call, J - United Express it is! And with that we now close out question B024. Here's the itinerary:

United Express UA San Diego (SAN) 700a-746a Los Angeles (LAX) BAe-146 Daily
MGM Grand MG 200 Los Angeles (LAX) 900a-512p B New York (JFK) DC-8-62 Daily
CSA Czechoslovakian Airlines OK New York (JFK) 710p-850p Montreal (YMX) Fr only
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Aug 23, 21, 9:04 pm
  #23768  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
this would have been a fabulous trip!
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
  • United Express UA San Diego (SAN) 700a-746a Los Angeles (LAX) BAe-146 Daily
  • MGM Grand MG 200 Los Angeles (LAX) 900a-512p B New York (JFK) DC-8-62 Daily
  • CSA Czechoslovakian Airlines OK New York (JFK) 710p-850p Montreal (YMX) Fr only
if I remember LAX ~1990, MGM Grand operated out of the West Imperial terminal on the south side of Runway 25L

I don’t recall whether they offered an airside shuttle service from Terminals 1-8, or if passengers transferring from other airlines were on their own to get to the MG facilities
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 9:32 am
  #23769  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post


I suggest you look at the original post, particularly the day-by-day description of the trip therein

LRD is incorrect
So, Ive also tried to work this backwards to get the 5B endpoint. Lets see how this flies.

5B. Final leg is DFW-AMA on an AA SF3.

5C.
AMA DEN UA EM2
DEN GJT UA EM2
GJT SLC DL EM2
SLC BIL DL EM2

5D.

BIL GEG AS DH8
GEG PDX UA EM2
PDX SFO UA EM2
SFO SMF UA EM2
Bluehen1 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 10:14 am
  #23770  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
So, Ive also tried to work this backwards to get the 5B endpoint. Lets see how this flies.

5B. Final leg is DFW-AMA on an AA SF3.

5C.
AMA DEN UA EM2
DEN GJT UA EM2
GJT SLC DL EM2
SLC BIL DL EM2

5D.

BIL GEG AS DH8
GEG PDX UA EM2
PDX SFO UA EM2
SFO SMF UA EM2
well, you're quite close now

5B- AMA is CORRECT
5C- all elements are CORRECT
5D-
  • Leg 1
    • route is Partially Correct
    • AS is CORRECT
    • DH8 is incorrect
  • Leg 2
    • route is incorrect
    • UA is CORRECT
    • EM2 is CORRECT
  • Leg 3
    • SFO is CORRECT
    • UA is CORRECT
    • EM2 is CORRECT
  • Leg 4 all elements are CORRECT
remember the constraints -- The orphan aircraft is operated by a different airline (one that you didnt fly on the outbound odyssey), and this flight is the only one that makes an enroute stop.
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 10:54 am
  #23771  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
well, you're quite close now

5B- AMA is CORRECT
5C- all elements are CORRECT
5D-
  • Leg 1
    • route is Partially Correct
    • AS is CORRECT
    • DH8 is incorrect
  • Leg 2
    • route is incorrect
    • UA is CORRECT
    • EM2 is CORRECT
  • Leg 3
    • SFO is CORRECT
    • UA is CORRECT
    • EM2 is CORRECT
  • Leg 4 all elements are CORRECT
remember the constraints -- The orphan aircraft is operated by a different airline (one that you didnt fly on the outbound odyssey), and this flight is the only one that makes an enroute stop.
Forgot about the stop and the orphan plane. So, hopefully this will close it out.

Leg 1 is BLI-GEG-PDX on an AS D38.
Leg 2 is PDX-RDM on a UA EM2.
Leg 3 is RDM-SFO also on a UA EM2.
Bluehen1 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 11:57 am
  #23772  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
Forgot about the stop and the orphan plane. So, hopefully this will close it out.

Leg 1 is BLI-GEG-PDX on an AS D38.
Leg 2 is PDX-RDM on a UA EM2.
Leg 3 is RDM-SFO also on a UA EM2.
5D-
other than a typo (BLI rather than BIL) you've nailed it ... all CORRECT, and well done!

back to 5B- there was another type operated by both AA and another airline on DFW-LBB ... any guesses?



************************************* PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS *************************************
I'm working up another intriguing non-jet adventure, but have yet to finish up the narrative ... based on some recent exchanges here, I also need to make sure there aren't alternative routings that might come into play

this one is from 1985; its geographical coverage includes two Canadian provinces and a dozen states in the northeastern quadrant of the U.S., and it involves *ONLY* aircraft types that *WEREN'T* part of the two 1995 treks

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 24, 21 at 12:04 pm
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 12:07 pm
  #23773  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Trenton NJ
Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
5D-
other than a typo (BLI rather than BIL) you've nailed it ... all CORRECT, and well done!

back to 5B- there was another type operated by both AA and another airline on DFW-LBB ... any guesses?



************************************* PREVIEW OF COMING ATTRACTIONS *************************************
I'm working up another intriguing non-jet adventure, but have yet to finish up the narrative ... based on some recent exchanges here, I also need to make sure there aren't alternative routings that might come into play

this one is from 1985; its geographical coverage includes two Canadian provinces and a dozen states in the northeastern quadrant of the U.S., and it involves *ONLY* aircraft types that *WEREN'T* part of the two 1995 treks
AT7 by both AA and DL.
Bluehen1 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 21, 12:16 pm
  #23774  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
AT7 by both AA and DL.
yep

based on personal preference, I would have included one or the other of these in framing the original question had I thought to look for it
jrl767 is offline  
Old Aug 25, 21, 9:57 am
  #23775  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,659
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated. Not a NW 727 via MSP, not a TW 72S via STL
B029- let's presume this is after 5 August, which is when USAir's acquisition of Piedmont took effect (I was on the last PI departure, a 767-200 operating the LAX-BWI redeye on 4 Aug) ... a 737-400 via the Dayton/DAY hub that US inherited in the merger
jrl767 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread