Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Given that we're down to jrl767's single question which has elicited just three responses over the past week - all of them from just one participant - I thought I'd whip up a few more for the rest of our regular participants who are sitting idly by. Mind you, jrl767's question is still in play and all here are encouraged to address it if they can. You'll find jrl767's question HERE. I'll leave it to him to update his question and responses as he sees fit. In the meantime, in the interest of picking up the pace here a bit, here are a few more bonus questions to consider...

B020. (1995) Enough of Vancouver’s winter rains! You’re ready to take your family to Florida for some sun and fun at Disney World. Even better, there’s a single daily direct flight between Vancouver and Orlando so you won’t have to worry about your bags not making the connection like what happened last year on your ill-fated trip to Palm Springs. The flight to Orlando makes two stops and you’ll be fed luncheon and a snack along the way. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

B021. (1995) You’ve just picked up your tickets and itinerary for your upcoming trip from Culiacan, Mexico to Atlanta, Georgia to watch your brother and the Mexican National Soccer (Futbol) Team play an exhibition match against Team USA. Upon looking over the itinerary, you’ve discovered that you’ll be flying two flights on two airlines making a single connection. Additionally, you’ll be flying aboard two different aircraft, both manufactured by the same company. One of them is the smallest commercial jet manufactured by that company while the other is the largest. Identify the two airlines you’ll be flying, the connecting city and the two aircraft types.

B022. (1990) You need to travel from your studio in New York City to Vancouver where you’ve been asked to consult on a new Canadian television series. Aside from being a well-respected television producer, you’re also an aviation enthusiast and this trip will offer you an excellent opportunity to come up with a creative itinerary to Vancouver. Your first flight will cross the border to Montreal, after which you’ll travel aboard a trio of flights to Vancouver. Departing from New York’s LaGuardia, each flight will be on a different airline. Additionally, each flight will be aboard a different twin engine jet – each of them built by a different manufacturer. Two of the jets will be wide bodies. So then, armed with these details, can you identify each of the airlines and aircraft as well as the routing to be flown? Of course you can!
A N S W E R E D

B023. (1990) Remember when flying between Burbank and Seattle meant comfortable 2-3 Economy Class seating aboard Continental Airlines 720Bs? Those were the days alright! These days two airlines offer either nonstop and/or direct service between Burbank and Seattle. One of them offers a single late night two-stopper that is perfect for your needs. Identify that airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type used.
A N S W E R E D

B024. (The jrl767 Special) (1990) How exciting! You’re off to learn how to become an even better chef at the famous Institut de Tourisme et d'hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal. Meanwhile, as an avid aviation aficionado you’ve also taken advantage of this cross country journey to put together a fabulous itinerary from San Diego to Montreal utilizing three different airlines – each of them flying a four engine jet with each jet having been built by a different manufacturer. And there’s an added twist. Each of the jets are narrow-bodied. So then – can you identify the three airlines, the route flown and the three different aircraft types? We’re all counting on you!
See post #23744

B025. (1990) If you want to fly First Class between San Francisco and Mexico City, you’ve got only two choices. The first flight – a nonstop – is not available. The second flight, leaving just a half hour later, is a one-stop direct flight and it does have First Class available. Oh yeah! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type. If you feel up to it, you may also identify the airline offering nonstop service.

B026. (1999) Following Continental’s decision to replace its daily DC-10 departure from Manchester (UK) to New York’s Newark International Airport, there is only one remaining airline that still operates the DC-10 into Manchester. Identify that airline, please. I’d say identify where it flies to, but the name of the airline should give that away.
A N S W E R E D

B027. (1999) You’re flying out of Birmingham (BHX) aboard the only widebody aircraft departing BHX not built in the United States. Where are you flying to? What airline are you flying on? And, most importantly, what type of aircraft are you flying upon?
Please see post #23745

B028. (1999) It’s been a great week of sun and fun on the beaches of Ft. Myers but now you’ve got to return to the hustle and bustle of Long Island, New York. Thankfully, there’s a single daily nonstop flight from Ft. Myers into Islip. Identify the airline and the aircraft operating this route.
A N S W E R E D

B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated.

NOTE: I will return tomorrow morning at approximately 9:00am ADT (-9 GMT) to resume addressing any responses you may submit.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
B024. (The jrl767 Special) (1990) How exciting! You’re off to learn how to become an even better chef at the famous Institut de Tourisme et d'hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal. Meanwhile, as an avid aviation aficionado you’ve also taken advantage of this cross country journey to put together a fabulous itinerary from San Diego to Montreal utilizing three different airlines – each of them flying a four engine jet with each jet having been built by a different manufacturer. And there’s an added twist. Each of the jets are narrow-bodied. So then – can you identify the three airlines, the route flown and the three different aircraft types? We’re all counting on you!

Okay, I'll get started on this before heading to IAD for a return to SEA aboard N297AK

In 1990, a four-engine narrow-body jet into Montreal would have probably been an IL-62 from JFK arriving at Mirabel/YMX ... there were several operators of record, the most significant that I remember being LOT and CSA ... ok; as for the other jets, how about United with a DC-8-71 out of Las Vegas/LAS, connecting from a USAir BAe 146

Well, you're off to a decent start here. The first aircraft was a 146 but not with US and it didn't route through LAS. The aircraft for the next flight was not a DC-8-71 but you're pretty close. And finally, a CSA IL62 is correct for the final leg into YMX. This should be easy to polish off...
B024- “easy” he says … we’ll see (although there really aren’t that many options)
  • SAN-LAX American (ex-AirCal) BAe 146
  • LAX-JFK MGM Grand DC-8-62
  • JFK-YMX CSA IL-62
I appreciate that you didn’t reject my initial guess as incomplete because I didn’t explicitly identify CSA as the IL-62 operator, but offhandedly (and yes, deliberately) used its code “OK” as a thought continuation
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: BA
B027. (1999) You’re flying out of Birmingham (BHX) aboard the only widebody aircraft departing BHX not built in the United States. Where are you flying to? What airline are you flying on? And, most importantly, what type of aircraft are you flying upon?
If it is summertime, what about Cyprus Airways, effectively a holiday flight and principally sold through tour operators, operating Birmingham to Larnaca maybe just once or twice a week. They also turned up on comparable flights not in the timetable at oddball places like Luton or East Midlands as well.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 2:13 am

Thinking that the Midlands of the UK has strong connections with South Asia, there's three A310 operators that spring to mind, my first guess is Pakistan International Airways A310 to Islamabad?

As such, we are looking for a different A310 operator that served BHX just once weekly from an airport not as far away as Islamabad. I suspect you'll solve this one sooner than later
OK then, let's forget South Asia..... next guess is Cyprus Airways, A310, Larnaca?

As an aside I have many fond memories of standby tickets on Cyprus, although from Heathrow. I recall one trip where the expected non-stop to Larnaca was actually Heathrow-Paris-Paphos-Larnaca; I was probably the only passenger quite happy about this!

Last edited by Spongthrush; Aug 21, 2021 at 2:15 am Reason: beaten to it by WHBM!
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

Okay, I'll get started on this before heading to IAD for a return to SEA aboard N297AK

In 1990, a four-engine narrow-body jet into Montreal would have probably been an IL-62 from JFK arriving at Mirabel/YMX ... there were several operators of record, the most significant that I remember being LOT and CSA ... ok; as for the other jets, how about United with a DC-8-71 out of Las Vegas/LAS, connecting from a USAir BAe 146

Well, you're off to a decent start here. The first aircraft was a 146 but not with US and it didn't route through LAS. The aircraft for the next flight was not a DC-8-71 but you're pretty close. And finally, a CSA IL62 is correct for the final leg into YMX. This should be easy to polish off...

“Easy” he says … we’ll see (although there really aren’t that many options)
  • SAN-LAX American (ex-AirCal) BAe 146
  • LAX-JFK MGM Grand DC-8-62
  • JFK-YMX CSA IL-62
For you - yes, easy. You've got everything correct except for the operator of the first flight. It was not American. Given that LAX saw a number of 146 operators over the years, I wonder who it could have been? This, too, should be easy for you...
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per WHBM: If it is summertime, what about Cyprus Airways, effectively a holiday flight and principally sold through tour operators, operating Birmingham to Larnaca maybe just once or twice a week. They also turned up on comparable flights not in the timetable at oddball places like Luton or East Midlands as well. then, let's forget South Asia..... next guess is Cyprus Airways, A310, Larnaca?

Per Spongthrush: OK then, let's forget South Asia..... next guess is Cyprus Airways, A310, Larnaca?

Cyprus Airways is correct! Here's the itinerary -

Cyprus Airways CY 467 Birmingham (BHX) 1245a-725a Larnaca (LCA) A310-300 Fr only

Per Spongthrush: As an aside I have many fond memories of standby tickets on Cyprus, although from Heathrow. I recall one trip where the expected non-stop to Larnaca was actually Heathrow-Paris-Paphos-Larnaca; I was probably the only passenger quite happy about this!

What a great itinerary! Might that have been operated with the Trident perhaps?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given that we're down to jrl767's single question which has elicited just three responses over the past week - all of them from just one participant - I thought I'd whip up a few more for the rest of our regular participants who are sitting idly by. Mind you, jrl767's question is still in play and all here are encouraged to address it if they can. Otherwise, in the interest of picking up the pace a bit, here's a few more bonus questions to consider...

B021. (1995) You’ve just picked up your tickets and itinerary for your upcoming trip from Culiacan, Mexico to Atlanta, Georgia to watch your brother and the Mexican National Soccer (Futbol) Team play an exhibition match against Team USA. Upon looking over the itinerary, you’ve discovered that you’ll be flying two flights on two airlines making a single connection. Additionally, you’ll be flying aboard two different aircraft, both manufactured by the same company. One of them is the smallest commercial jet manufactured by that company while the other is the largest. Identify the two airlines you’ll be flying, the connecting city and the two aircraft types.

B024. (The jrl767 Special) (1990) How exciting! You’re off to learn how to become an even better chef at the famous Institut de Tourisme et d'hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal. Meanwhile, as an avid aviation aficionado you’ve also taken advantage of this cross country journey to put together a fabulous itinerary from San Diego to Montreal utilizing three different airlines – each of them flying a four engine jet with each jet having been built by a different manufacturer. And there’s an added twist. Each of the jets are narrow-bodied. So then – can you identify the three airlines, the route flown and the three different aircraft types? We’re all counting on you.
A N S W E R E D

B025. (1990) If you want to fly First Class between San Francisco and Mexico City, you’ve got only two choices. The first flight – a nonstop – is not available. The second flight, leaving just a half hour later, is a one-stop direct flight and it does have First Class available. Oh yeah! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft type. If you feel up to it, you may also identify the airline offering nonstop service.

B029. (1989) If it ain’t Boeing, you ain’t going. Well, you almost had to cancel your upcoming trip from Milwaukee to Denver because all of the usual suspects – at least the ones that offered nonstop service – only operated equipment from that other plane maker down in California. Heck, even most of the multi-stop flights were with aircraft other than Boeing. But wait! Yes! It turns out there’s one airline that operates a single daily one-stop direct flight each morning from Milwaukee to Denver utilizing Boeing equipment. Identify that airline, the enroute stop and of course the glorious Boeing jet type with which it is operated.
Please see post #23755

NOTE: I will return tomorrow morning (Aug 24th) at 9:00am ADT (-9 GMT) to resume addressing any responses you may submit.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 23, 2021 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA
Per Spongthrush: As an aside I have many fond memories of standby tickets on Cyprus, although from Heathrow. I recall one trip where the expected non-stop to Larnaca was actually Heathrow-Paris-Paphos-Larnaca; I was probably the only passenger quite happy about this!

What a great itinerary! Might that have been operated with the Trident perhaps?
The Tridents operated until the invasion of the island in 1974, when the only airport, at the capital Nicosia, was caught up in it. Pretty much the whole Cyprus Airways fleet was stuck on the ground there, relatively undamaged. One of the Trident 2s is still there, showing what 47 years of being left untended looks like, here : Airport Road - Google Maps . If you go to Cyprus you can walk round it. I think the Hatfield, England aircraft painters should take a certain pride that their work has lasted so long. It's going to be the 50th anniversary soon of the grounding. Other aircraft, Tridents and One-Elevens, were dealt with in the years that followed 1974, eventually being ferried out, in some cases somewhat spectacularly, and the Tridents were taken in to the BA fleet.

The island is still entirely divided between the Greek side and the Turkish side, separated by the UN, whose narrow strip includes the old airport. There are also on the island significant longstanding British military installations, which the division into two parts in 1974 somewhat sensibly avoided; they are all now on the Greek side. There is a huge air base of RAF Akrotiri, which was once a good place when on holiday to see RAF Tristars and VC-10s in the pattern; the benign weather is better than anything found in Britain, and if you go there in Spring the RAF Red Arrows formation display team always go there to work up in clear skies for the summer season back home. It's closer to the difficult areas of the Middle East than you might think, not visible but for example the huge explosion recently in Beirut was audible across the sea in the Cyprus resort of Ayia Napa. Apart from the 1974 division Cyprus has pretty much managed to keep wholly clear of issues across the sea - although BEA lost a Comet to a bomb explosion departing Nicosia. When MEA in Beirut got severely impacted by events there they more than once moved the whole airline base to Larnaca - itself a brand new airport carved out after Nicosia got suddenly closed. There's also an airport on the Turkish side at Ercan, and a second more recent Greek side airport at Paphos. On the roads, they still drive on the left - even on the Turkish side.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
B029- I think we have a pair of candidates through their midwestern hubs: TWA via St. Louis/STL and Northwest via Minneapolis/MSP … TW is the less intuitive choice, but they weren’t really one for changing direction on through flights, so I’ll guess this was NW with a 727-51
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think we have a pair of candidates through their midwestern hubs: TWA via St. Louis/STL and Northwest via Minneapolis/MSP … TW is the less intuitive choice, but they weren’t really one for changing direction on through flights, so I’ll guess this was NW with a 727-51

Did Northwest still fly the -51s in 1989? I might add that it does indeed seem a most logical choice here, but nope - it wasn't Northwest, now was it a 727 and finally, it didn't route through MSP.

Please, guess again!
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B029- well, I’ll fall back on my other notion — TW 72S via STL
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
5B- and you would be CORRECT

hint: in this group of six flights, the two in each pair (segments 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6) are approximately the same distance
Ive been wracking my brain with this one. The fifth flight is what’s thrown me. I either come up with it being MKE-ORD or IND-CVG. I can picture things with either ATL or MEM as well but nothing’s obvious. So, here’s my guess including the first leg.

RIC-GSO CO EM2
GSO-GSP CO EM2
GSP-BNA AA SF3
BNA-IND AA SF3
IND-CVG DL EM2
CVG-SDF DL EM2
Old Aug 22, 2021, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Ive been wracking my brain with this one. The fifth flight is what’s thrown me. I either come up with it being MKE-ORD or IND-CVG. I can picture things with either ATL or MEM as well but nothing’s obvious. So, here’s my guess including the first leg.

RIC-GSO CO EM2
GSO-GSP CO EM2
GSP-BNA AA SF3
BNA-IND AA SF3
IND-CVG DL EM2
CVG-SDF DL EM2
5B-
  • Leg 2
    • GSP is CORRECT
    • CO EM2 is CORRECT
  • the rest of the routing is incorrect
  • AA SF3 is part of this day’s travel, but not on these legs
  • Leg 5
    • DL EM2 is CORRECT
one element of your picture is accurate … now consider the previous clues/hints about segment lengths and geography

also recall the makeup of this day’s aircraft
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I’ll fall back on my other notion — TW 72S via STL

I see in post #23755 I wrote "nope - it wasn't Northwest, now was it a 727..." - a typo that should have been "nor" was it a 727. That said, there wasn't a question mark, so one would hope it wasn't construed as a question or musing of some sort. And let us hope this didn't result in any undue confusion on your part. As such, TWA via STL is out if only because the Boeing we are looking for was not a 727 nor any variant thereof.

Knowing what you know now, I suspect success is just around the corner...
Old Aug 23, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
5B-
  • Leg 2
    • GSP is CORRECT
    • CO EM2 is CORRECT
  • the rest of the routing is incorrect
  • AA SF3 is part of this day’s travel, but not on these legs
  • Leg 5
    • DL EM2 is CORRECT
one element of your picture is accurate … now consider the previous clues/hints about segment lengths and geography

also recall the makeup of this day’s aircraft
All right, I didn’t figure that the rest of the routing past BNA was right because it didn’t generally go west but I thought BNA would be right. With the clues and my correct reading of one, here’s the next try.

RIC GSO CO EM2
GSO GSP CO EM2
GSP MEM NW SF3
MEM ICT NW SF3
ICT DFW DL EM2
DFW LBB AA SF3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.