Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
B022. (1990) You need to travel from your studio in New York City to Vancouver where you’ve been asked to consult on a new Canadian television series. Aside from being a well-respected television producer, you’re also an aviation enthusiast and this trip will offer you an excellent opportunity to come up with a creative itinerary to Vancouver. Your first flight will cross the border to Montreal, after which you’ll travel aboard a trio of flights to Vancouver. Departing from New York’s LaGuardia, each flight will be on a different airline. Additionally, each flight will be aboard a different twin engine jet – each of them built by a different manufacturer. Two of the jets will be wide bodies. So then, armed with these details, can you identify each of the airlines and aircraft as well as the routing to be flown? Of course you can!
B022- I’m reasonably certain the two wide-body twins are an A310 (Wardair) and a 767 (either Air Canada or Canadian) … the former rules out the A320 and the latter rules out any 737, so we’re left with a DC-9 of some ilk and a Fokker product

if the 767 is AC, we need a transborder DC9/D9S operator from LGA, which is a bit of a conundrum, so I’ll start with this itinerary:
  • LGA-YUL AC D9S
  • YUL- Calgary/YYC WD A310
  • YYC-Edmonton Canadian Partner (Time Air?) F.28
  • YYC-YVR CP 767
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
B023. (1990) Remember when flying between Burbank and Seattle meant comfortable 2-3 Economy Class seating aboard Continental Airlines 720Bs? Those were the days alright! These days two airlines offer either nonstop and/or direct service between Burbank and Seattle. One of them offers a single late night two-stopper that is perfect for your needs. Identify that airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type used.

America West, stops in LAS, RNO, Boeing 737-300

Good call, Mr. T! America West and its 737-300 are correct! Here's the itinerary -

America West HP 347 Burbank (BUR) 910p-1004p Las Vegas (LAS) 1101p-1214p Reno (RNO) 1240a-226a Seattle (SEA) 737-300 Daily
Oh my! I was shooting from the hip! Just using my subconscious part of my brain to blurt out an answer!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:54 pm

B027. (1999) You’re flying out of Birmingham (BHX) aboard the only widebody aircraft departing BHX not built in the United States. Where are you flying to? What airline are you flying on? And, most importantly, what type of aircraft are you flying upon?
I'm thinking that it may be one of the Canadian carriers, so first guess at Royal Airlines A310 to Montreal ?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
B020. (1995) Enough of Vancouver’s winter rains! You’re ready to take your family to Florida for some sun and fun at Disney World. Even better, there’s a single daily direct flight between Vancouver and Orlando so you won’t have to worry about your bags not making the connection like what happened last year on your ill-fated trip to Palm Springs. The flight to Orlando makes two stops and you’ll be fed luncheon and a snack along the way. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
It's not Delta. Please see post 23727

Not Delta nor was the equipment a B727-200....well, let's see here.... As we have discussed in the past, back in the mid 90's I believe American was operating a route formerly flown by AirCal between Vancouver and San Jose. So Monty, let's go with door number two featuring AA operating an MD-80 with stops in SJC and DFW.

You're on it, JL . AA's the one, with an MD80 via SJC and the Big D. Here's the itinerary -

American AA 1110 Vancouver (YVR) 925a-1137a San Jose (SJC) 1213p-538p Dallas (DFW) 622p-943p Orlando (MCO) MD80 Daily
Old Aug 20, 2021, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
B022. (1990) You need to travel from your studio in New York City to Vancouver where you’ve been asked to consult on a new Canadian television series. Aside from being a well-respected television producer, you’re also an aviation enthusiast and this trip will offer you an excellent opportunity to come up with a creative itinerary to Vancouver. Your first flight will cross the border to Montreal, after which you’ll travel aboard a trio of flights to Vancouver. Departing from New York’s LaGuardia, each flight will be on a different airline. Additionally, each flight will be aboard a different twin engine jet – each of them built by a different manufacturer. Two of the jets will be wide bodies. So then, armed with these details, can you identify each of the airlines and aircraft as well as the routing to be flown? Of course you can!

I’m reasonably certain the two wide-body twins are an A310 (Wardair) and a 767 (either Air Canada or Canadian) … the former rules out the A320 and the latter rules out any 737, so we’re left with a DC-9 of some ilk and a Fokker product

if the 767 is AC, we need a transborder DC9/D9S operator from LGA, which is a bit of a conundrum, so I’ll start with this itinerary:
  • LGA-YUL AC D9S
  • YYC-YVR CP 767
Maybe I should have named this one the jrl767 Special! You're definitely headed in the right direction here. LGA-YUL with a DC-9-30 is correct, but Air Canada is not the correct choice. Hmm... I wonder what ever could it be..? Wardair is not involved in this itinerary. Nor is Edmonton. Nor is the F.28. However, the 767-200, the A310, Air Canada and Canadian are correct, as is YYC. So there are a few more clues for you. Go get 'em!
Old Aug 20, 2021, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
B027. (1999) You’re flying out of Birmingham (BHX) aboard the only widebody aircraft departing BHX not built in the United States. Where are you flying to? What airline are you flying on? And, most importantly, what type of aircraft are you flying upon?

I'm thinking that it may be one of the Canadian carriers, so first guess at Royal Airlines A310 to Montreal ?

Well now, you've got the A310 bit right, but we're looking for a different airline - one not from North America.

I look forward to your next guess!
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)

jrl767: I’m reasonably certain the two wide-body twins are an A310 (Wardair) and a 767 (either Air Canada or Canadian) … the former rules out the A320 and the latter rules out any 737, so we’re left with a DC-9 of some ilk and a Fokker product

• LGA-YUL AC D9S
  • YEG-YVR CP 767
Maybe I should have named this one the jrl767 Special! You're definitely headed in the right direction here. LGA-YUL with a DC-9-30 is correct, but Air Canada is not the correct choice. Hmm... I wonder what ever could it be..? Wardair is not involved in this itinerary. Nor is Edmonton. Nor is the F.28. However, the 767-200, the A310, Air Canada and Canadian are correct, as is YYC. So there are a few more clues for you. Go get 'em!
B022-
of course Wardair isn't involved, because CP acquired them in 1989 (and probably their A310 fleet, but I'm thinking they also had a few Fokker 100s in mainline service, so I'll try a different approach first)
  • LGA-YUL D9S Eastern
  • YUL-Toronto/YYZ F100 Canadian
  • YYZ-YYC A310 Canada 3000
  • YYC-YVR 767 Air Canada
Old Aug 20, 2021, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Of course Wardair isn't involved, because CP acquired them in 1989 (and probably their A310 fleet, but I'm thinking they also had a few Fokker 100s in mainline service, so I'll try a different approach first)
  • LGA-YUL D9S Eastern
    • YUL-Toronto/YYZ F100 Canadian
      • YYZ-YYC A310 Canada 3000
        • YYC-YVR 767 Air Canada
You're definitely edging closer. EA with the D9S is correct, and the Fokker 100 is also the aircraft of record between YUL and YYZ. However it was not operated by Canadian but rather Inter-Canadien. (Close enough) Canada 3000 has no place in this itinerary. That leaves Air Canada and Canadian but you've got the airline/route combination wrong which means - obviously - that. Air Canada operated a 767-200 between YYZ and YYC followed by Canadian operating an A310 YYC-YVR and Bob's your uncle. There now, that wasn't that hard, was it?

Eastern EA 652 New York (LGA) 1015a-1142a Montreal (YUL) DC-9-30
Nordair ND 485 Montreal (YUL) 255p-405p Toronto (YYZ) Fokker 100 Daily
Air Canada AC 133 Toronto (YYZ) 459p-659p D Calgary (YYC) 767-200
Canadian Airlines Int’l. CP 369 Calgary (YYC) 800p-820p D Vancouver (YVR) A310-300

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 20, 2021 at 11:29 pm
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B024. (The jrl767 Special) (1990) How exciting! You’re off to learn how to become an even better chef at the famous Institut de Tourisme et d'hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal. Meanwhile, as an avid aviation aficionado you’ve also taken advantage of this cross country journey to put together a fabulous itinerary from San Diego to Montreal utilizing three different airlines – each of them flying a four engine jet with each jet having been built by a different manufacturer. And there’s an added twist. Each of the jets are narrow-bodied. So then – can you identify the three airlines, the route flown and the three different aircraft types? We’re all counting on you!
B024- ok, I'll get started on this before heading to IAD for a return to SEA aboard N297AK

in 1990, a four-engine narrow-body jet into Montreal would have probably been an IL-62 from JFK arriving at Mirabel/YMX ... there were several operators of record, the most significant that I remember being LOT and CSA ... ok; as for the other jets, how about United with a DC-8-71 out of Las Vegas/LAS, connecting from a USAir BAe 146

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 20, 2021 at 3:47 pm
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA
B022-
of course Wardair isn't involved, because CP acquired them in 1989 (and probably their A310 fleet, but I'm thinking they also had a few Fokker 100s in mainline service,
The Wardair F100s were not delivered, as the first was to come along a year after they were taken over. Same for the MD-80s Wardair ordered. The F100s however were placed on completion with Air Europe, operating out of London Gatwick - for just a few months until they went under as well.

The Wardair MD-80s ended up when built going to Midway and Aeromexico.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
The Wardair F100s were not delivered, as the first was to come along a year after they were taken over. Same for the MD-80s Wardair ordered. The F100s however were placed on completion with Air Europe, operating out of London Gatwick - for just a few months until they went under as well.

The Wardair MD-80s ended up when built going to Midway and Aeromexico.
I don't recall Wardair having a narrow body fleet in its final decade. Some of the A310s are still in use with the Canadian Forces after the government bought them off Canadi>n.. On that note, did any airline in Canada operate MD-80s?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 3:32 pm

Well now, you've got the A310 bit right, but we're looking for a different airline - one not from North America.

I look forward to your next guess!
Thinking that the Midlands of the UK has strong connections with South Asia, there's three A310 operators that spring to mind, my first guess is Pakistan International Airways A310 to Islamabad?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I don't recall Wardair having a narrow body fleet in its final decade. .. On that note, did any airline in Canada operate MD-80s?
Jetsgo was one.

I think the only narrowbody jet Wardair ever had was their initial 727, which took us through Greenland to Vancouver and back in 1968.

A close miss to this was indeed on Royal A310 from Birmingham to Toronto and back, over the Christmas holidays in I think 1996. Believe I wrote about taking this a while back (edit-ah yes I did five years ago https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26920223-post9647.html ) . Everything from London was either sold out or excessively expensive. It was certainly bought as if an ABC holiday flight rather than a timetabled scheduled flight. I had a number of odd flights to Canada and back at the time.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 20, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

B024. (The jrl767 Special) (1990) How exciting! You’re off to learn how to become an even better chef at the famous Institut de Tourisme et d'hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal. Meanwhile, as an avid aviation aficionado you’ve also taken advantage of this cross country journey to put together a fabulous itinerary from San Diego to Montreal utilizing three different airlines – each of them flying a four engine jet with each jet having been built by a different manufacturer. And there’s an added twist. Each of the jets are narrow-bodied. So then – can you identify the three airlines, the route flown and the three different aircraft types? We’re all counting on you!

Okay, I'll get started on this before heading to IAD for a return to SEA aboard N297AK

In 1990, a four-engine narrow-body jet into Montreal would have probably been an IL-62 from JFK arriving at Mirabel/YMX ... there were several operators of record, the most significant that I remember being LOT and CSA ... ok; as for the other jets, how about United with a DC-8-71 out of Las Vegas/LAS, connecting from a USAir BAe 146

Well, you're off to a decent start here. The first aircraft was a 146 but not with US and it didn't route through LAS. The aircraft for the next flight was not a DC-8-71 but you're pretty close. And finally, a CSA IL62 is correct for the final leg into YMX. This should be easy to polish off...

BTW, check out post #23738 for the itinerary associated with the JFK-YUL-YYC-YVR flight question...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 20, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Old Aug 20, 2021, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thinking that the Midlands of the UK has strong connections with South Asia, there's three A310 operators that spring to mind, my first guess is Pakistan International Airways A310 to Islamabad?

Per the schedules I consulted for this question, PIA operated into London and Manchester, but not into Birmingham. At least, not in 1999.

As such, we are looking for a different A310 operator that served BHX just once weekly from an airport not as far away as Islamabad. I suspect you'll solve this one sooner than later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.